Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking at starting the college search- and avoiding it until the last minute, but I figured I could maybe get sort of an idea of what others have done before me.

I am really interested in psychology/sociology especially personality and interpersonal interaction. Part of how I found this site :happy: but I have no idea what I would do with a major in any of those things in the real world. (I definitely don't want to be a psychologist I could never listen to people and give them advice all the time... research maybe?)

Anyway I was wondering what other people had done/ were planning to do and whether a general liberal arts degree would be helpful or just boring. :happy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, looking at starting the college search- and avoiding it until the last minute, but I figured I could maybe get sort of an idea of what others have done before me.

I am really interested in psychology/sociology especially personality and interpersonal interaction. Part of how I found this site :happy: but I have no idea what I would do with a major in any of those things in the real world. (I definitely don't want to be a psychologist I could never listen to people and give them advice all the time... research maybe?)

Anyway I was wondering what other people had done/ were planning to do and whether a general liberal arts degree would be helpful or just boring. :happy:
I'm going to say this now. Psycology is what people major in when they decide their original major was too hard, too borring, or non-existent. Not to say there aren't people who just like psyc because they think psyc is the most awesome thing in the world. It just seems that it's also the most popular back up plan... and for good reason: It's very interesting and the course work isn't too terribly demanding (compared to say... engineering)

That being said. There are shit tons of psyc majors... Those psyc majors graduate only to find their job prospects really suck unless they go to graduate school... Some people decide that they just wasted their time. The others... Well they go to grad school if they can.

Why do I say If they can?
Grad school costs a lot of money... If you already owe a boatload of money from your undergrad degree. The governement is going to less willing to lend you money... especially since quite frankly there isn't a whole lot of demand ( compared to somthing like... computer science)

Oh right... about demand. There isn't much. So getting into a good graduate program is insanely competitive. And we all know... if you want anyone to listen to you in acedemia, you need the most fancy-ass papers you can get your hands on.

My advice. If you're not sure, DON'T DO IT.
There are people who could not stand to study anything but psyc, and I think they should be psyc majors.

If you're going to major in somthing you're 'meh' about, it might as well be somthing that pays well... or is likely to have a paying job.
---------------------------

Now you might be thinking but the ENTP in me doesn't care about job prospects. No, it doesn't if it has somthing awesome and exciting in mind... But if it MUST do somthing less than exciting, it would at least like to be adequately compensated. We're risk takers, not idiots.

-------------------------------
by the way. Apply now.
I know this might is the nth time you heard this but DO IT EARLY.

My ENTJ brother regreted not applying early himself, so he MADE sure I did.
By that, I mean he took it upon himself to be my drill seargent.
And for that, I am forever grateful. Secretly of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my experience, ENTP's need rationality too much to ever become clinical psychologists, which I'm glad to see you've ruled out already.

TPABM has a lot of good information, so I'm mostly going to just agree with her.

Personally, I'm majoring in Philosophy with minors in a foreign language (Icelandic or Italian) and a second major in business. I would like to teach college, so I'll get my masters in that. If it doesn't pan out, I'll fall back on my business minor and start a hookah lounge :]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I was worried about the whole psych major thing, some of the - more recreation focused seniors of last years class seemed into that as a major as they thought it would be easy- and I cant wait to get away from those people. :happy: But anyway I hated econ so I don't think business would be a good idea. Anthropology is interesting to me but I have no idea what I would do with that in the "real world". I suppose I could teach but I think I'm to impatient to do that...

I don't suppose there is a major devoted to figuring out how people around you think so... haha... umm I think evolutionary psychology is really interesting but that just goes back to psych. I used to think I wanted to be an editor for like a publishing company but I think that might have too many deadlines for me plus I would have to learn to spell and learn all the comma and semicolon rules. And again other that doing that I don't know what I would do as an English major. :frustrating:

Oh and in response to Phoenix I'm a Junior so I don't quite have to have apps in, but we are doing practice ones and counselors keep coming and asking what our target schools are and things :happy: but I know I will hate doing applications next year, but will be equally glad when I'd done so thanks :happy: pretty sure that was a run on sentence...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm doing biology, plan on getting into research.

You could do psychology and get into research, that might be more in your area of interest. Neurology is another option that ties into psych, but thats going to be a lot more heavy in science.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I am really interested in psychology/sociology especially personality and interpersonal interaction.
That's why I'm enrolled in a psych major. :)

If you're still considering a psychology degree, you might check out The Psychology Major's Handbook Amazon.com: The Psychology Major's Handbook (9780534533878): Tara L. Kuther: Books . I'm still reading through it, but the author tells you what you can do with each level of degree (bachelors, graduates, etc) and about the fields.

I think something to keep in mind is psychology could combine well with other degrees such as human services, forensics, health, and so on.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Econ is not business. It's a part of business, like calculus is a part of engineering, but the program shouldn't be judged based on one single class.

Psych would be interesting. But I'd do it with the intention of using those skills in business. I may start a research and development business in that field if I were to study it.

Personally I'm studying Material Engineering. I'm in my last year. Is it my passion? No. Am I content with it? Yes. It gives me credibility in the eyes of others, no matter what I end up doing with it. I started an energy consulting company which I plan to turn into my career, and I plan to one day bring in research and development into it as well. For now though, I'm only helping businesses save money on their energy by designing more efficient solutions. Check it out if you want to see more: Prime Energy Consultants.

My biggest piece of advice to you is too not fret too much about it. Just pick one field and roll with it. If you don't like it after one year you can always switch out and do something else. We ENTPs don't like to give up though. We get bored sometimes, but if it's intellectually challenging we hate quitting. At least I do. Especially when people start telling me I can't do it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
As far as I know, most psych majors result in disappointment. As far as picking something out goes, the main thing is not to leave much out and see what your brain gives you. Think about the subjects you enjoy most, what you utterly loathe to do, and see if you can come out with some sort of medium. Let me tell you, I wanted to be a veterinarian until I was 16, and then suddenly had to rethink everything. The main thing I thought about was that I didn't want that "same everyday" feeling.

Right now I'm a college student, and I'm going for Linguistics.
Honestly, it's the perfect major for me. I didn't mind learning about languages and cultures. My best subjects were Spanish and English. I absolutely hated math, and never cared for history. I love language itself and using different mediums to utilize it, and through speech and debate that I was involved in, I learned about different forms and aspects of it also.

So I knew:
-I hated math, but still liked science
-I pick up languages easily
-I'm good at picking out patterns in language
-I don't care for political science

Somehow, I came up with linguistics and I love it. Instead of just picking a few languages to learn about culture and all that, I use language as a science. What I like about it is that there is not just one job to do (like a veterinarian would be). And yes, I know every job/major has it's limitations and you can't do a different thing every day, but that's what changed my mind is thinking if I would enjoy the day-to-day grind.

Just think about it short-term and long-term, and how much enjoyment you would get out of it, also examine if the opportunities are realistic, and also what trends in the world you can follow to take advantage of your knowledge and become indispensable.

Also, as far as colleges go, don't just "settle" for something. Do your research and find options.
My path: Went to a small college w/o my major for gen eds, but it was too expensive (and slow for my pace), so I went back to my hometown and did comm college while working full time, and then applied to my dream school, and got in. Now the classes are really challenging, but it is quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If hard science isn't for you, you may want to consider marketing. It's my major (with a double major in theater, which may be turning into English) and it's genuinely really interesting. There's a lot of psychology; I'm really interested in courses like Consumer Behavior and Market Research. There are a lot of really creative and fun people. Depending on your school there may be some math, but requirements like "accounting management" are a joke. And I seriously suck at math.

Management and human resources are other business majors that have a pretty substantial psychology element to them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not going to suggest any major because I believe anyone can be successful in what they study. I do, however, suggest you learn some skills that can serve you for life even if you're P-ness will get back at you academically.

Here are some but not limited to,

Languages (the more the better)
Programming (a computer language)
Communication and Networking (true and meaningful networking)
Cooking (self-sufficiency)
Entertaining (self and others)
Analyzing patterns
Logic

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Thanks so much everyone this is really helpful... Now all I have to do is apply all the good advice... :happy:
That's right, declare the majors we suggested. All 15 of them.

Go get em!

·
Registered
75 Posts

I went to college 10 yrs ago, started business/accounting, got freaked out
went to English,
changed to Geology,
changed to Architecture,
and back to English.

my suggestion, and I'm serious here ... Dont do liberal arts from a standpoint that it aint very lucrative and its hard to find a job unless you further your education.

my suggestion, engineering or architecture or computer programming

dont do the physcology or philosophy thing unless your heart is in it.

if i could go back, i'd do computer programming

·
Registered
82 Posts
I majored in Electrical Engineering and did a minor in Finance. Really served me well to stay near numbers, not bad at English, but don't have the attention span for reading comp.

My EE major was filled with intuitives, while MechE was filled with sensors, true to stereotype. They always wanted to be building things you could touch, I was happy doing circuit diagrams for semiconductor components that are so small that you're basically working with your imagination.

Only issue I had with my major, and I have now with colleagues, was that I was in the minority as a heavy extrovert, not to mention a native English speaker. Has not been a social thing, but lately I've been doing all the presentations for my department because I'm the only person in a group of 20 that has passable public speaking skills.

·
Registered
749 Posts

For the love of Isis don't do sociology. You will not be respected in academia and it will be nothing but a feeling fest based completely around specious nostrums and gum-drop mountains with chocolate waterfalls.

If you really want to understand how individuals and the masses of them work take economics. It's the calculus of human decision making. If you take sociology you will be indoctrinated into obtuse dogmas and no one outside of that department will respect you.

Economics is the perfect blend of psychology, philosophy, logic, and mathematics. And employers like it as a degree.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts