Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not currently depressed but I've had some stretches of days in the past 6 months or so that were definitely quite gloomy, not attributable to anything tangible. Luckily I'm very happy with my current college environment and will not hesitate to take up their free psychological services if ever it seems prudent :proud:

Okay, disclaimers aside... Do any of you have any general thoughts on depression in ENTPs?

I've been forming a theory, though with limited time for ungraded research it only pertains to me: I think that depression can result from the under/mis/non-use of Si and Fe, especially when the shadow function Ni rears its ugly head. For me, my Ti seems to get out of control sometimes, generating hundreds of examples of this occasional lack of balance that my Ni in turn connects to predictions of my declining health, social inability, and organizational disasters. (And I'm definitely an E)

Upon reading what I just wrote, it sounds more specifically like anxiety in self-protecting variants. Hmm.

And what are some of the things you do to get out of a negative mindset?

One for me is watching the Office, because it's consistently hilarious, features Michael Scott (especially cheers me up when I have social anxiety), and is very familiar to me in a comforting way.

This could've been written better, but I've spent enough time on it already. Thoughts?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Setting seemingly "impossible" life goals for yourself that you really want to achieve (not something stupid and meaningless like getting a 99% average) is a very good way to avoid depression. Depression comes from negative thinking. Setting large goals for yourself distracts you from those negative thoughts.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There are two things that I think are more prevelent in causing ENTP. Much like a ESTP we can mask our personalities when we try. If we get in a relationship where we're constantly having to act like a different type it can be very depressing. The second one is being stuck in a routine with no apparent, immediate escape. Doing things the same way, over and over again gets to me as an ENTP and it takes a lot of disapline and long term motivation to keep it from feeling down when I'm stuck in a routine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I want somebody who I can talk to, all I have is a bunch of ignorant Sensors whom to I don't wanna open up. I'm trying to be J as hell, but it sucks, it just sucks, I can't do it, I can do it for a day or two, like totally pushing myself on every subject in my life, but I slide into depression after those 2 days, are Perceivers born to be slackers? I want to archieve something in my life, how do I do it?

Goddamnit this sucks, I don't have any real friend(I've got plenty of buddies with whom I can have fun and like that, but none of people who I can really open up my problems to), I'm totally money dependent on my parents, they are heavy SJ bastards, who just try to "educate' me, school is getting really hard, I'm sleep deprived like 4 days in a row right now, getting a bit Bipolar, constantly tired, today I thinked about suicide, come on, I can't be that low on life, my life sucks, I don't have motivation to do anything, right now all I do is school-pc-eat-sleep, could I get some ENTP cheer ups or advice or something, please?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I want somebody who I can talk to, all I have is a bunch of ignorant Sensors whom to I don't wanna open up. I'm trying to be J as hell, but it sucks, it just sucks, I can't do it, I can do it for a day or two, like totally pushing myself on every subject in my life, but I slide into depression after those 2 days, are Perceivers born to be slackers? I want to archieve something in my life, how do I do it?

Goddamnit this sucks, I don't have any real friend(I've got plenty of buddies with whom I can have fun and like that, but none of people who I can really open up my problems to), I'm totally money dependent on my parents, they are heavy SJ bastards, who just try to "educate' me, school is getting really hard, I'm sleep deprived like 4 days in a row right now, getting a bit Bipolar, constantly tired, today I thinked about suicide, come on, I can't be that low on life, my life sucks, I don't have motivation to do anything, right now all I do is school-pc-eat-sleep, could I get some ENTP cheer ups or advice or something, please?
Set yourself goals that motivate you. We are slackers only when it comes to things we don't like to do. xNTP can only function when interested in their occupation.
In college, I flunked some of my classes because I couldn't bring myself to study a topic or in a manner that didn't appeal to me whatsoever (intense rote memorization for Biology, or just plugging in equations in Engineering), even though I was a 4.0 until Junior year. My suggestions are:
- Spend time thinking about what interests you in life and start planning a career/higher education. ENTP's can get energized like nobody else on prospective projects and exciting outlooks. I remember when I had an intense phase of depression (junior year college, nothing was going right, academics, girls, health, etc...) my bright light was thinking about the future and all the great things I could do.
My current job sucks but the thought of moving up the ranks and doing more interesting work, as well as doing entrepeneurial projects on the side with friends has definitely helped me keep it together. Allow yourself to daydream.
- Fill up your spare time with interesting activities. Books, TV Shows, Comedy, Video games, browsing the web, you name it. Understimulated ENTPs tend to become antsy and depressed. I recently got into Chess and it keeps me sharp and helps me when I'm demotivated by work.
- Have some sort of social life. The irony of the ENTP is that, even though we find most people uninteresting and we rather avoid them, we need a base level of social interaction to stay upbeat and energized. I know making close friends is not easy if you don't relate to most people at your school, but just make an effort to meet people and take what you can out of that interaction. You're bound to find someone with whom you can establish an intimate relationship (close friendship or romance). Regardless, the act of meeting people alone will you make you happier.
- Stop caring what others think of you. It sounds cliche, but really you need to find motivation and drive from within. I use to care too much about how others perceived me (social anxiety = immature Ne combined with underdevelopped Ti) and it held me back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
^Great post. I've been going through something similar lately so this is going to a good point of reference. Just to add to the point on setting goals that motivate you, try to make studying (for example) fit in among the more energising activities. If you're feeling bored, you're unlikely to feel inspired to do something productive. Get a routine going and you will grow into it. Its easy to get discouraged and think 'screw it' I'll just do the auto-pilot school-pc-eat-sleep routine instead. I've done that more than I care to imagine.

Also, might it help to stick up a few motivational quotes, photos of friends or whatever else fires up your mind and gets you going. If you have a Facebook profile, that's a great place to start if you already have photos there and some quotes on your profile - print some of those out. Its surprising how many resources there are out there that haven't been tapped into to make life more interesting.

·
Banned
478 Posts
This is what happens when you are a student...or as I call it .... a person being dumbed down. Academia is a horror story. Any horror movie would be a paperboy for academia. It's a brutal beurocracy that produces nothing. I would have scaled down my "student" experience several folds to 1-1,5 years. The rest is just waste of time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Generally, I begin getting depressed when I'm not socializing with enough people. Cause it forces me to think about negative problems in my life.

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts
One thing that seems to depress ENTPs is when they set a life goal for themselves that is not something they want for themselves but something that they feel they are supposed to want. For example, for many years, during and after my doctoral program I assumed I wanted to be a professor, and yet I had trouble getting myself to do the research I needed to get a job or even signing up to teach courses (which pays real money!) All this while I'm struggling with depression. I stop wanting to do anything fun at all. Eventually, I had to look at myself and ask, "is this something I really want to do or is it just something I feel like I'm supposed to do?" As a young adult all my heroes were academic physicists, people like Newton, Einstein, Feynman. I assumed that I too had to become an academic physicist. The trouble is, of course, that doing academic physics isn't all fun and games. In fact, it's downright boring in many ways. Eventually, I realized that I didn't want to do science, I wanted to write science fiction, something that I initially wanted to do as a teenager but gave up. So that's what I'm attempting to do now and, maybe I'll fail, but at least I don't feel depressed about it. I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes you get depressed because you are trying to be something you're not.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hell no you aren't alone here. In fact anxiety and "intrusive thoughts" caused me enough issues that I went to the school shrink and am on wellbutrin. The two helped me get started on things I could do myself that made big differences. I think you could call it self-protecting anxiety. Anyway-

Mostly what makes me want to break loose and change something is being forced to do things that seem pointless to me. Stupid jobs, boring jobs, ultra consistent routines, busywork, graded math homework, etc. really irritate me.

The best solution I've found is to declare at least a few hours alternating days as time you absolutely need to have to dick off or daydream or research or have social interaction to function. Because if we don't get it, we do wind up frustrated as hell and looking for any reason to change things. It's a case of it "looking" like you're not doing anything when in fact you are doing something very important and useful. Without it, we cease to function.

Seems like SJ's (maybe I'm picking on them unfairly) or at least most professors and other bureaucrats expect that people are only motivated to study, learn, and work externally, so they stress the importance of crap like perfect attendance.

To me, sitting in class (or anywhere) day after day having things presented to me at a consistent pace of x information or work per day is torture. I know that I can make up the material on my own (but the bureaucrats don't know this) and that I want to learn it, so there are times when I just take days off school.

I guess what I'm saying is break the routines that drive you nuts. Go do something else - something fun, not sitting around and feeling bad for not being where you're "supposed" to be - and don't worry about the consequences. You can handle making up whatever it is you missed. The oppressive feeling plodding schedules are what drive me nuts. Consistency is the bane of my existence (except for morning wake-up routines, which often vary). Do something rebellious and take the chance that you might miss a little material or something.
Obviously, don't disappear for 2 or 3 weeks on end, and don't ditch all the time, but when you're getting bent out of shape, stop doing what's causing the problems.

I think just about everybody could get something out of psych services if they went. It won't hurt to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I can't say that I've ever really been depressed. In my teens & into my early 20s I definitely got quite a bit of social anxiety and in my mid 20s I went through an odd combination of extreme apathy and zen moods.

Like others have said though the best way to combat depression is to stay active. Set goals, engage in social activities even (and especially) if you don't want to and indulge in those fantastic ENTP mental obsessions. If you don't give yourself time to notice that life really sucks ass then you will forget about how much ass life actually sucks. I've found that unless the activity is likely to end in death or dismemberment "because I don't want to" is the perfect reason to do something. Most of the things that we don't want to do are due to the difficulty or tedium levels involved and the more difficult or tedious an activity is the more likely it is to reap rewards once completed.

Reactions: Athena and TAHTGUY

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I was 18 I went to the doctor and he prescribed me anti-depressants, which made me zombified as hell so I flushed them. The point was to numb me from my already degraded mindset, but I realized that my own perception of the world was the problem.

What helps me get through rough times is the idea that at some point the anxiety will pass and everything will be normal again. Acceptance of the inevitable "dark days" helps me cope.

Both comedy and sleep can put me in a better mood almost immediately, but breathing exercises and just general exercise will work too.

Keep a habit of accomplishing small things every week, things you do and don't like, and it should boost your motivation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will start by saying I don't think that I have ever been seriously depressed but I can certainly relate to a lot of what is being said here.

Routine work or activities get tedious to me pretty quickly and I start to feel down when things become too repeditive. I also cannot stand doing nothing; when studying the absolute worst times for me were when semester had finished and I had no plans to go travelling. To prevent this I tend to start various projects to keep my mind active; 'start' being the operative word here as my track record for seeing things through to the end to be honest is pretty poor.

Another thing that can really get me down is a lack of social contact. Although I generally dislike quite a lot of people I meet I very much value spending time with people I can relate to and tend to feel pretty awful if I don't. This isn't to say that I don't like spending time on my own thoughts (I spend a lot of time doing this as well) but without a decent amount social contact I get pretty moody.

One of my coping mechanisms (or as some people would view it character flaws) is to keep myself busy with a great variety of things all at once. For example I am currently studying a masters degree full time while also working full time and have a number of unrelated projects that I am persuing on the side. When I mention it to other people some think that it is borderline insanity but to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Generally, I begin getting depressed when I'm not socializing with enough people. Cause it forces me to think about negative problems in my life.
Same. I also get depressed when I am around too many people too much and I feel as though not a single one understands me.

Instead of being sorry for myself and moping around alone, like I used to, I just go outside. When there isn't an outside, I write or draw.

Whoever said daydreaming as an option is also so true. Our minds are mental playgrounds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am entirely too tired to read each individual reply to this right now and I don't know the common jargin of MB typing.. but I do know that since discovering I'm an ENTP I've been noticing little things about myself.. one of the big things that causes me to become depressed is a feeling that comes from a lack of resolution with respects to something important to me.
If there's something I want and need to do but I don't do it.. I have a sense of failure. Or when I do something I know is wrong.. like chew out someone I love because I'm angry.. not because they're wrong. It depresses me because I know damn well how stubborn and prideful I am and how much its going to take for me to fix what I messed up.
Its the worst when I allow multiple things to pile up. My advice: Pick something, big or small. Focus on it (its best to pick something you like or care about.. otherwise I'm ADD) and do it. Resolve it. I tend to look too much at the BIG picture and not enough on the small things that I can actually manage. I get overwhelmed. My current focus point is this post.. and hopefully helping someone - and in the proccess I can honestly say I'm learning about myself as I type.
Give it a try - the worst thing you can do is fail. :) And honestly - what's so wrong with that?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I don't get depressed, but I have low moments. They're rare and last for maybe two or three days. Sometimes only hours.

For me, "depression" (and I'm loathe to call it that) only comes when I find there are emotions I can't get rid of no matter how much I rationalize or understand them. I can tell myself where that emotion came from, what added to it, and how it led me to this point. But knowing doesn't relieve the feelings. And that bothers me, if only for the fact that it makes it harder to concentrate on the things I'm trying to do in the present.

Most people I know either don't believe I can have a low moment and simply refuse to accept it even if I tell them. Which means getting out it always falls squarely on my shoulders.

I find there are two things that always help me "rise from the ashes," so to speak:

1. Continuing to work towards my goals. By focusing on what I should be doing, I miss the opportunity to dwell on wasteful feelings that only leave me less productive (and heavier, as I tend to eat more when I'm moody).

2. Realizing that moments like that never last. I'm not going to feel like this for the rest of my life. I don't know exactly when I'll get out of it, but I will eventually. And then I'll be the better for it.

It sounds simple, but it works for me.

@FuzzyLittleManPeach

I wholly agree with your comment that it's a matter of perception. Now if only I could make all my F heavy friends believe it...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't get depressed, but I have low moments. They're rare and last for maybe two or three days. Sometimes only hours.

For me, "depression" (and I'm loathe to call it that) only comes when I find there are emotions I can't get rid of no matter how much I rationalize or understand them. I can tell myself where that emotion came from, what added to it, and how it led me to this point. But knowing doesn't relieve the feelings. And that bothers me, if only for the fact that it makes it harder to concentrate on the things I'm trying to do in the present......
I've had to learn the hard way that your emotions are a legitimate part of being a human. You can't invalidate what you feel simply because you can't explain it. You have to accept that sometimes you have to do or not do things simply because of how they make you feel.

If you don't, all you do is bottle the emotion up for it to explode later. If you read the biographies of man NTs they almost all have major breakdowns or depressions mid-life, followed by they're greatest success. I think these breakdowns come from our logical persecution of what we emotionaly feel.

It took 10 years of a bad relationship to get me to the place where I realized this. I hope for your sakes you don't have to go through the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I've had to learn the hard way that your emotions are a legitimate part of being a human. You can't invalidate what you feel simply because you can't explain it. You have to accept that sometimes you have to do or not do things simply because of how they make you feel.

If you don't, all you do is bottle the emotion up for it to explode later. If you read the biographies of man NTs they almost all have major breakdowns or depressions mid-life, followed by they're greatest success. I think these breakdowns come from our logical persecution of what we emotionaly feel.

It took 10 years of a bad relationship to get me to the place where I realized this. I hope for your sakes you don't have to go through the same thing.
Thanks.

I don't have a problem accepting that fact that there are some emotions I simply cannot rationalize away. I just don't believe that sitting around and nurturing them is in any way productive.

And I'm going to go on a limb here and disagree with you about the "You have to accept that sometimes you have to do or not do things simply because of how they make you feel." I don't think a wise person makes a decision based off their feelings.

Glad you're out of a bad relationship, though. That takes a lot of work to overcome, and I'm happy for you.

Reactions: DMack

·
Registered
624 Posts
.....And I'm going to go on a limb here and disagree with you about the "You have to accept that sometimes you have to do or not do things simply because of how they make you feel." I don't think a wise person makes a decision based off their feelings.....
There is truth to what you say, but I think the nuance I missed in my first post is how you feel about something is an important part of the decision making equation. Human feelings may be tough to understand but they have their place.

I work with a ton of NFs and I've noticed they often make very good choices going almost entirely off what they feel. I can't say I've had a ton of success adding my feelings into my thought process, but even trying helps with a lot of my own stress.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
(hell)^(yeah)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts