Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that using a shadow function can be draining and something to avoid, yet I think using Te in my software start up would be nice, I really want to scream at my engineers when they screw up, I really want to get stuff done, I want to "pull the trigger" rather than continue to add to and build onto something. Any other ENTPs have any experience with Te? What about Ni?

·
Banned
12 Posts
Developing your Te would mean rewiring half of your brain in some sort. My dad is Ne dom and I'm Te dom. There can be some serious clashes with this. Whereas he is happy for jumping from idea to idea, there is no connection between ideas. Well not in the sense that would allow you some stability for further ideas. He will come up with 100 new ideas in a week and will implement it at will, but he will not be able to keep it up on top notch. That why I think Ne dom people will never try to realize the full potential of the matter at hand. They will not maximize it efficiency, because maximum efficiency means more power to the next stages. You are interested in ideas which I like. But ideas require something more than just curiosity to implement. Your brain seems to be unwilling to keep up with that side. Although you understand its importance, I don't think you can implement it that way.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Idk what he's talking about ^ but yes. Act like one, then thinking like one will follow naturally.

Here's my experience:

Developing Ni: Although many assert that this is a biological way of thinking and can't be changed, I argue.

Ne is usually divergent thinking; while Ni is convergent thinking. Ne usually dances around from A to B, while Ni walks a sturdy, straight there.​

While engaging in Ne, many parts of the brain light up at once in response to a stimuli/problem. What I've done is suppress irrelevant flares and focus my attention only on the relevant flare, expending my thoughts only on the relevant flare. From there, my brain lights up again in response to the flare I'm now focusing on. I repeat the process: paying attention only to the relevant flares, and ultimately make my way to the solution.

What I lose: flares deemed irrelevant but could have been a gold-mine thought
What I gain: a more sturdy and direct connection from A to B.

Practicing and employing this mental exercise will open up and strengthen neural pathways for Ni, thus allowing you to even default on it for certain situations. What helps is when I'm at work and I'm thinking while running errands, I tilt my head down so that I'm not distracted by new stimuli, and with my head down, my eyes stop shifting, too, allowing me to mentally ignore and lessen irrelevant flares.

Now, Developing Te:

Usually Ti-users have their brain compartmentalized and stored deep within themselves, making it a 2-step process to understand people: 1. Hear what they're saying. 2. Pull that information inside our heads to then interpret. Te-users have a 1-step process to understand people: 1. Hear and interpret what they're saying. The reason Te-users have this 1-step process is because their brain is outside of their heads, immersed in their environment.

Readers learn to write quicker and better than writers learning to write.

The best way to develop Te is not to think out loud. You'll just start blabbering and not really thinking. As I've quoted above, the best way is to read first then write later: Listen first then talk later. Say when you're watching a presentation, really follow along actively (Te), rather than dumping the sounds in your head and then sorting later (Ti).

The best way to develop this ability to expose our brain to the environment is to,
1. Follow other's thought processes as they speak.
2. Scan our environment for inconsistencies, and then go physically correct them.

Examples:
1. When someone says they're going to explain to you 3 reasons why a product is good; EXPECT 3 reasons and keep that expectation in your head. As people are describing the details of an egg, LET GO of your own images of an egg and follow THEIR idea of the image of an egg.
2. When someone DOESN'T finish the third point, comment on it. "You said 3 reasons - you only listed 2. What's the third?" When someone describes the yolk as creamy, and then goes on to say it "cracked" on the floor, point out that inconsistency. And most importantly, your physical environment: when things are out of order, put them back in order. When something's missing, ask yourself why and fix it. When you started writing notes in outline form and then all of a sudden started narrating your notes, re-do it.

While Ti is about internal consistency, you sorting out your inner thoughts, Te is about external consistency, you sorting out others' thoughts, your environment, and - in the corporate world - inspecting and finding errors in systems, employee efficiency and product productivity.​

Do this and voila! Enjoy your newfound access to Ni and Te. They may never be your preference, but they certainly can be reached and used.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There's not really a point, the main four function well enough to sort things. Fe functions essentially in the same manner as Te, I doubt that you'd get anything out of it.
Please elaborate.

Fe may be parallel to Te, but on an entirely separate track.

Fe = your feelings are very in tune with the environment - you feel how others feel; and when you're around people, you're more in tune with your own feelings. Thus, the "feeling with others", expressiveness

Te is when your thoughts are in tune with environment - you think how others think; and when you're around people, you're more in tune with your thoughts. Thus, the "thinking out loud", brain dumping

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I suppose I fail to see how they're on a separate track, one of the reasons I've left MBTI was due to functional bleeding. There's nothing really for me to elaborate on, except for my own issues with the system.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Please elaborate.

Fe may be parallel to Te, but on an entirely separate track.

Fe = your feelings are very in tune with the environment - you feel how others feel; and when you're around people, you're more in tune with your own feelings. Thus, the "feeling with others", expressiveness

Te is when your thoughts are in tune with environment - you think how others think; and when you're around people, you're more in tune with your thoughts. Thus, the "thinking out loud", brain dumping
If you believe that Te is superior to Ti, you are most likely an ENTJ.
As I read through your post on how to use Te, I felt confused, horrified, and deeply offended. I couldn't read it at all.

Please, reconsider your type. It's deeply offensive to imply that the function I use to process information is "inefficient." I'm glad for all the ENTJs that they can make decisions quickly. Go forth. Make the decision. But consider the possibility that as you make these decisions so quickly, your first guess may be wrong. Then it is time to reassess.

There is absolutely no reason I would ever want to cultivate Te.

As an ENTP, my room might be a mess, and I might hate to have to be somewhere on time. But you know what? My brain is so freaking ***** and span, streamlined with various sources of information and accessible frameworks, I don't have to explain anything to anyone. I already know the answer.
That's how my brain works and it's killer sweet. I've got a sweet pad upstairs.

You like Te, go for it. Nice and clean outer world, always on time, clothes always immaculate, three showers a day and an elite executive bathroom. Life planned out to the minute. Go for it. Kudos. I love that you can because in my head, I can imagine what it's like to be you and have that experience without ever having to try it. I like it better that way. It's just more relaxing, less stressful because I can turn it off. I just did and I feel better now.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Using every functions is a "good idea" rofl. But beware ; developing TE to the the detriment of FI is IMO always, always a bad personal option. It contaminates TI with a consequentialist perspective which impedes moral intuitions and NE overall since FI is the base of the widest, deepest extraverted intuitions in relation with TI (that's just a "causalization" of FI). On the other hand FI becomes dangerous when it overthrow NI via SE, since it'd break all defenses. Keeping NI above SE and FI above TE is the best way IMO to balance TE so that NE and TI are protected (from opinions, not slaps) and galvanized at the same time. If you want to develop yourself, TE is a dangerous tool. But if you prefer to be accepted in our barbaric TE pseudo civilizations, it's even more dangerous to exhibit FI. We only have one life, I guess. So it's up to you .. Bad personal option vs bad social option.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you believe that Te is superior to Ti, you are most likely an ENTJ.
As I read through your post on how to use Te, I felt confused, horrified, and deeply offended. I couldn't read it at all.

Please, reconsider your type. It's deeply offensive to imply that the function I use to process information is "inefficient." I'm glad for all the ENTJs that they can make decisions quickly. Go forth. Make the decision. But consider the possibility that as you make these decisions so quickly, your first guess may be wrong. Then it is time to reassess.

There is absolutely no reason I would ever want to cultivate Te.

As an ENTP, my room might be a mess, and I might hate to have to be somewhere on time. But you know what? My brain is so freaking ***** and span, streamlined with various sources of information and accessible frameworks, I don't have to explain anything to anyone. I already know the answer.
That's how my brain works and it's killer sweet. I've got a sweet pad upstairs.

You like Te, go for it. Nice and clean outer world, always on time, clothes always immaculate, three showers a day and an elite executive bathroom. Life planned out to the minute. Go for it. Kudos. I love that you can because in my head, I can imagine what it's like to be you and have that experience without ever having to try it. I like it better that way. It's just more relaxing, less stressful because I can turn it off. I just did and I feel better now.
That was kind of mean... to presume I prefer Te and then bash me for it. I won't deny I felt a bit hurt, but let's just get to clarifying.

The OP IS a Ti-user, so developing Te for him can only be good. There is no spectrum for how much Ti you have because of how much Te you develop. Ti remains strong despite development of Te.

And I never said Ti is inefficient. I just said it was a 2-step process for understanding the outside world. Te's have the exact opposite problem of Ti's: they don't have the harmonized internal thought structure we have - and so it's much of a 2, 3, 4 step process to actually get thought structures in their head. It is because of Ti's internal mode of thinking that allows us to have, so to speak, a sensible "imagination", most likely why einstein was able to realize his theories, most likely why lateral thinking is such a strength for ENTPs, why we can surmise and develop such consistent arguments, and so much more.

My original post wasn't intended to praise Ti, so I didn't. That doesn't mean I don't dearly love it to pieces.

You should also notice how I made Ni sound > than Ne. And certainly, I hope you don't doubt my extreme abuse of Ne, as an Ne-dominant. Again, this is toward the OP - he specifically wants only the GOOD qualities of an ENTJ in his start-up, so of course I'm only going to refer to him the good qualities... Sorry @OP if you're a girl ;)

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Idk what he's talking about ^ but yes. Act like one, then thinking like one will follow naturally.

Here's my experience:

Developing Ni: Although many assert that this is a biological way of thinking and can't be changed, I argue.

Ne is usually divergent thinking; while Ni is convergent thinking. Ne usually dances around from A to B, while Ni walks a sturdy, straight there.​

While engaging in Ne, many parts of the brain light up at once in response to a stimuli/problem. What I've done is suppress irrelevant flares and focus my attention only on the relevant flare, expending my thoughts only on the relevant flare. From there, my brain lights up again in response to the flare I'm now focusing on. I repeat the process: paying attention only to the relevant flares, and ultimately make my way to the solution.

What I lose: flares deemed irrelevant but could have been a gold-mine thought
What I gain: a more sturdy and direct connection from A to B.

Practicing and employing this mental exercise will open up and strengthen neural pathways for Ni, thus allowing you to even default on it for certain situations. What helps is when I'm at work and I'm thinking while running errands, I tilt my head down so that I'm not distracted by new stimuli, and with my head down, my eyes stop shifting, too, allowing me to mentally ignore and lessen irrelevant flares.

Now, Developing Te:

Usually Ti-users have their brain compartmentalized and stored deep within themselves, making it a 2-step process to understand people: 1. Hear what they're saying. 2. Pull that information inside our heads to then interpret. Te-users have a 1-step process to understand people: 1. Hear and interpret what they're saying. The reason Te-users have this 1-step process is because their brain is outside of their heads, immersed in their environment.

Readers learn to write quicker and better than writers learning to write.

The best way to develop Te is not to think out loud. You'll just start blabbering and not really thinking. As I've quoted above, the best way is to read first then write later: Listen first then talk later. Say when you're watching a presentation, really follow along actively (Te), rather than dumping the sounds in your head and then sorting later (Ti).

The best way to develop this ability to expose our brain to the environment is to,
1. Follow other's thought processes as they speak.
2. Scan our environment for inconsistencies, and then go physically correct them.

Examples:
1. When someone says they're going to explain to you 3 reasons why a product is good; EXPECT 3 reasons and keep that expectation in your head. As people are describing the details of an egg, LET GO of your own images of an egg and follow THEIR idea of the image of an egg.
2. When someone DOESN'T finish the third point, comment on it. "You said 3 reasons - you only listed 2. What's the third?" When someone describes the yolk as creamy, and then goes on to say it "cracked" on the floor, point out that inconsistency. And most importantly, your physical environment: when things are out of order, put them back in order. When something's missing, ask yourself why and fix it. When you started writing notes in outline form and then all of a sudden started narrating your notes, re-do it.

While Ti is about internal consistency, you sorting out your inner thoughts, Te is about external consistency, you sorting out others' thoughts, your environment, and - in the corporate world - inspecting and finding errors in systems, employee efficiency and product productivity.​

Do this and voila! Enjoy your newfound access to Ni and Te. They may never be your preference, but they certainly can be reached and used.
I recently discovered that I am an ENTP in an Ne<Fe loop. So do you have one of those articles on developing Ti?

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
446 Posts
I recently discovered that I am an ENTP in an Ne<Fe loop. So do you have one of those articles on developing Ti?
<3333 this is SO me! I call it "buckling down" to get into my Ti>Si loop. I'm sure there's one on the net somewhere, already, if there isn't, I suppose I'll assemble one once I get home from my morning coffee. Although I'm sure you could do it better?

I'm still giggly over your comment, for whatever reason. :laughing: +1

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
<3333 this is SO me! I call it "buckling down" to get into my Ti/Si loop. I'm sure there's one on the net somewhere, already, if there isn't, I suppose I'll assemble one once I get home from my morning coffee. Although I'm sure you could do it better?

I'm still giggly over your comment, for whatever reason. :laughing: +1
Well Giggly Puff, go and make me one if you don't mind. The other ones looked very sophisticated, and make sense to me.<----------Wait I just used Ti there! Yes, it's coming out, slowly but surely.

Reactions: n.yumikim

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I do not see how it could be a bad idea. If the individual is able to use more of his/her cognitive abilities then it will be helpful in different areas especially when used as the situation requires.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well Giggly Puff, go and make me one if you don't mind. The other ones looked very sophisticated, and make sense to me.<----------Wait I just used Ti there! Yes, it's coming out, slowly but surely.
While googling to see whether an article already exists, I stumbled upon your other thread, of several posts I liked, so I think you know which thread I'm talking about. I see your Ne>Fe loop is a development loop, rather than a situational loop. Unfortunately, I have only experienced first-hand the ENTP's situational loops: Ne/Fe and Ti/Si. The analyses of an underdeveloped Ti is not something I've been familiar with but am certainly interested in. During break times at work today, and perhaps even extending later in the week, I'll be reading up on this development loop. I'll reply to your other thread if I come up with anything. Sorry for not having the knowledge base to help; and thank you, for bringing up such an interesting phenomena.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You will be inevitably forced to utilize you Te when you are in an organizational or managerial role. My job in IT Consulting has forced me to rely on it regularly to get through documentation/planning, and although I don't particularly enjoy it, I think it's an important thought process to get comfortable with in order to maximize your career goals. I'm in the process of leaving my job to start my own company as well - and all the pain of the organizational tasks I had to endure during my IT job has paid off with a superior sense of organization and planning. Doesn't mean I'll feel the urge to clean my room or desktop icons anytime soon. I'll never be a manager (it's a boring, clerical job), but to be a CEO or entrepreneur (an awesome job) you need basic management and strategic planning skills.
At the end of the day, I'm still an ENTP who much prefers Ti and will fall back to it whenever possible (more creative, more insightful, etc..).

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
That was kind of mean... to presume I prefer Te and then bash me for it. I won't deny I felt a bit hurt, but let's just get to clarifying.
I apologize for questioning your type. You're right that was harsh. I can be a bit reactive.

The OP IS a Ti-user, so developing Te for him can only be good. There is no spectrum for how much Ti you have because of how much Te you develop. Ti remains strong despite development of Te.
1. There is no need to cultivate Te directly to receive whatever benefit might be desired from Te. One only need to cultivate Fi in order to receive these benefits secondarily. ENTP's have strong Ni-Te it's simply that these functions are unconscious and not directly controllable.

When your emotional value goals are in order, you find yourself setting a personal agenda and making plans deep in your psyche and working toward them. To everyone else, on the outside, your actions seem absolutely random but your thoughts are being guided by your desires and everything is happening according to the plan.

Ne-Ti might seem like it's a two step process but really it's more like a fourteen step process that is incorporating data streams from past experience, possible futures, unconscious material, and everything that can be made up of what is happening right now in the external and internal world.

Therefore, the best solution to get whatever you desire as an Ne-Ti user is simply to explore and organize the contents in the internal value system because what you want for yourself, your personal goals and desires, what you want for other people, sets the agenda whether you realize it or not. So, making sure personal emotional data streams are in order are really the key here.

As Steven Covey put it in, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, when your values are in line, everything else falls into place.

2. There is a trend in our society to pressure Ti-Fe users into thinking that Ti-Fe, especially in combination with intuition functions, is useless, wrong, and ineffective. This train of thought is extremely detrimental to the development and cultivation of the strengths of Ne-Ti.

While there are many costs to the warfare raged on Ti-Fe, in this context, I speak mainly of the cost to Ne-Ti users who are given the unconscious message that their psychic products are worthless to society at large. That rubs the feeling functions in such a way that lures us into trying to change who we are fundamentally because ultimately we want to help people and make a contribution and be of value (as everyone does) and if who we are fundamentally blocks our ability to do that, we are likely to come to the conclusion that changing ourselves rather than growing into our true selves is the only way.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I have read that using a shadow function can be draining and something to avoid, yet I think using Te in my software start up would be nice, I really want to scream at my engineers when they screw up, I really want to get stuff done, I want to "pull the trigger" rather than continue to add to and build onto something. Any other ENTPs have any experience with Te? What about Ni?
My advice to you is to use active imagination.
Imagine what you want. Imagine what you'll need to get it.
Then, your mind will burst with solutions.

This works because of guided thought. When you want a cup of coffee, suddenly you find yourself going into the kitchen and making a pot of coffee. It's like that with everything. All you have to do is figure out what your goals are for your software start up. Think about what you would like in the next year, then, think what do you want for next month, then what you want next week, then, finally land on today.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
As I develop my J, Te comes a lot more naturally. When I am working in my profession structure is of the utmost importance and is necessary for balance. A systematic approach is valueable when one is looking to get from point A to point B. This is natural and isn't something, in my opinion, one must forceably develop... it will just happen.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
42 Posts
developing a shadow function ? for what ??you need to develop the first and second function really good and the 3 and 4 functions to round up....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts