Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the most common ENTP enneagrams?

What is your enneagram? How does it affect the expression of your personality?

Personal question: How common is 8w7 for an ENTP? Keep in mind that I have a perpetually angry S father.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
What are the most common ENTP enneagrams?

What is your enneagram? How does it affect the expression of your personality?

Personal question: How common is 8w7 for an ENTP? Keep in mind that I have a perpetually angry S father.

8 is common for ENTP, 6 would be too (mostly counter-phobic 6w5, the more aggressive/assertive type of 6 - often confused with, and mistyped as 8s). 3, 7s, possibly even a few 2s here and there. I don't think type 1 is out of the question.

Im a 8w7:proud::proud::proud::proud:
I thought so at first... however, the more I saw from you the less 8 seems likely. You're most certainly one of the larger ego/aggressive types. I'm thinking maybe counter-shame 3, or 7w8.

Personally I don't care what type you pick for yourself, and I'm really not interested in getting into it. I've seen some things from you that are not 8. Take it for what it's worth, and press on.

·
Registered
398 Posts
8 is common for ENTP, 6 would be too (mostly counter-phobic 6w5, the more aggressive/assertive type of 6 - often confused with, and mistyped as 8s). 3, 7s, possibly even a few 2s here and there. I don't think type 1 is out of the question.

I thought so at first... however, the more I saw from you the less 8 seems likely. You're most certainly one of the larger ego/aggressive types. I'm thinking maybe counter-shame 3, or 7w8.

Personally I don't care what type you pick for yourself, and I'm really not interested in getting into it. I've seen some things from you that are not 8. Take it for what it's worth, and press on.

Thank you, i will look into this and hopefully gain some more insight on myself.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
[/B]

Thank you, i will look into this and hopefully gain some more insight on myself.

You can rule out 6. They typically fly off the handle or set about trying to prove how 8 they are when challenged. My post above was written in preemptive 6w5 style ("you're going to argue with me and I don't want to hear it") , I wanted to see what you'd do with it.

If you have questions I don't mind answering them. I'd start by looking at 3. You seemed to take some pride in the idea that you were an 8, your response seemed more image conscious/self-indulgent. Just keep in mind as you read over the 3 profile, being counter-shame is going to change a lot of it for how it presents with you.

Reactions: she kitten

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can rule out 6. They typically fly off the handle or set about trying to prove how 8 they are when challenged. My post above was written in preemptive 6w5 style ("you're going to argue with me and I don't want to hear it") , I wanted to see what you'd do with it.

If you have questions I don't mind answering them. I'd start by looking at 3. You seemed to take some pride in the idea that you were an 8, your response seemed more image conscious/self-indulgent. Just keep in mind as you read over the 3 profile, being counter-shame is going to change a lot of it for how it presents with you.
Enneagram Type 3 - The Achiever

This is the Enneagram site that i use.

I notice that you have my name 2ce in your signature....................... You must be stalking me

Actually you use my name 5 times if we include God. ;)

I looked at the 3 profile and it does seem to be like me to an extent, I am very goal oriented and im the most competitive person i know. I love attention, and I always HAVE to be the best.

I think that you got this right Grim, ty.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't really like enneagram theory, and quite frankly, that has 90% to do with the usage of the ennagram shape. It's a fucking star. Way to make it look like astrology.

That said, I think I might qualify as a 7. I've gotten high scores for both 8 and 7 in tests, but 8 just doesn't quite feel like me. It might be how I occationally behave, but from what I understand, enneagram theory is about motivations rather than behaviour, and in that way 7 fits better than 8. But there are many things about the 7 description that doesnt fit either.

I don't mind confronting my darker emotions, on the contrary, I think they are good entertainment for me and others. Nor do I tend to get stuck in addictions.

So I dunno...

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I'm a 3w2 sp, but then again I'm like a dead even split between ESTP/ENTP. N is natural, but suppressed my S is brought on by being a 3.

I like my enneagram and the enneagram itself, it can actually work with MBs too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the key differences between an 8 and a counter-phobic 6?

As it applies to my life:
I enjoy conflict. Whenever I feel angry, I WANT to be angry. I like to reach the peak intensity of my emotion, and then I'm done with it. If I'm angry, I have to get absolutely ENRAGED, and then I'm done. I'm totally calm. It reflects my childhood, where my parents would silently build in their discontent for about a week, and then explode. After they exploded, everything was wonderful for a day or two.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here's a link that shows the correlations between MBTI and Enneagram
Type Correlations

type 7 appears to be the most common for ENTPs..

I'm 7w8 and very adventurous I've done my share of sowing of the wild oats and I have a need to explore new territory.

·
Registered
184 Posts
7w8 most of the time, but when i am in one of my moods i can score 5 ;)
thats why i keep repeating the test, most of the time i get entp and 7s, but i have phases where i get intp and 5...especially late at night when i have nothing to do and can't sleep. so i guess those tests are a bit mood-based, especially enneagramm which i personally like a lot less than mbti.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
This would be like me saying: I can't string a complete sentence together in sign language, therefore English is a much better language.

I don't care if you never like the enneagram, but perhaps it's not a good idea to invalidate something simply because you do not understand it. Yes, the tests are crap--but the theory does not equal its tests.

Also, it's not uncommon for 7s to test high in both 5 and 1. There's a valid reason why this is normal.

Reactions: Psychosmurf

·
Registered
184 Posts
well i didn't critisize the theory (i don't know the theory), i only added that mbti tests give me more stable results, which i prefer. i haven't read more than web sources about this kind of testing since basically it is all unscientific (any test with foreseeable answers to maybe 200 questions is) , so why read literature on the subject. i really like it as a rough, first attempt to understand people, but the tests are stupid. i can imagine that a real mbti is a lot better, but if i would invest money, i would invest it in real psychological tests.

i don't know why 7s score high in 5 or 1, it does not seem to make sense in the system, but maybe you can enlighten me. that is one thing i really like about mbti, if i am a borderline E/INTP it can actually explain my phases, since i tend to shift rapidly between Ne und Ti.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Interesting. I have tried a few online versions of the test, and have got variably 7w8, 8w7, 3w4 and 3w2. The most detailed one I did gave me 7w8. But I don't really know what the wing adds.
I agree that the MBTI is easier to understand and appears to be more stable. Certainly I have gained some insights from the MBTI results, things I didn't know about myself before, but none of the main enneagram types rings a clear bell, many seem possible. All of these typology tests, however, are guides for reflection rather than labels we have to wear, aren't they?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Interesting. I have tried a few online versions of the test, and have got variably 7w8, 8w7, 3w4 and 3w2. The most detailed one I did gave me 7w8. But I don't really know what the wing adds.
I agree that the MBTI is easier to understand and appears to be more stable. Certainly I have gained some insights from the MBTI results, things I didn't know about myself before, but none of the main enneagram types rings a clear bell, many seem possible. All of these typology tests, however, are guides for reflection rather than labels we have to wear, aren't they?
The tests are just bad. The theory is no less stable or harder to understand than any other. There are some things a person knowledgeable about how the enneagram works can glean from the test results. For instance... your results show me that you have a large ego. So we can rule out some of the types.

And, take the poster above you... Druid. His result of 8w7 also shows he has a large ego... but there is something specific about his post that rules 8w7 out. "I don't know how it affects me, I guess somehow it does". It's a mentality that puts self beneath test results. The results affect me. It's like saying this *tells me* who I am. 8s don't think like that. No test result is going to tell an 8 who he or she is. So druid is likely an assertive, large ego type with a compliant mentality. That could be 6w5, 7w8, 3, and perhaps 2. Also, the little wink icon at the end of his post... 8s will rarely use those things... the way most people use them has a sort of "See, I'm smiling, so I'm not a threat to you" mentality behind them. Gee I sure hope people don't think I'm not being friendly...

Reactions: Sunless

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The thing is, if the tests are bad, how is the theory validated? Just to help me understand, I really am interested and not trying to be challenging.

It isn't a problem if it isn't valid, I think, if it is of some perceived use. A kind friend offered to do me an astrology chart recently, and really I am not such an egotist that I believe that a few burning balls of gas strung out across the galaxy millions of light years away from me and from each other have any bearing on how, for example, I relate to my mother, but the outcome does point up things you can reflect on, associations you can test and then accept or reject, and so forth. Rest assured that planet-sized ego notwithstanding, I am prepared to accept some of the less palatable insights....

;)

:tongue:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts