Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't know very many ENTP females. NT women in general are something of a mystery, since there are so few of us. I was talking to my one ENTP female friend the other day about hormone levels, and it raised an interesting question: Could ENTP females have higher testosterone levels than most women?

I am very curious as to how brain chemistry effects personality development. It seems that most of the NT women I've met are very confident, very sexual and sometimes very socially dominating, all of which are characteristics of high testosterone levels. ENTP is considered a very masculine personality type, and I personally score very high on masculinity on every test. Could this actually have a chemical explanation?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Your question makes me wonder if all thinker women have higher testosterone levels. But I can't really see ENTPs having higher masculinity. I know an ENTP male who has fairly low masculinity, so I'm not sure if an ENTP female would necessarily have high masculinity. I also know feeler females who are socially domineering. So I'm not sure if ENTPs, or thinkers in general, have more masculine attitudes in the way you are talking about. But it might make sense that thinkers would have slightly higher testosterone levels since we control our emotions better, perhaps mood swings come from estrogen?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your question makes me wonder if all thinker women have higher testosterone levels. But I can't really see ENTPs having higher masculinity. I know an ENTP male who has fairly low masculinity, so I'm not sure if an ENTP female would necessarily have high masculinity. I also know feeler females who are socially domineering. So I'm not sure if ENTPs, or thinkers in general, have more masculine attitudes in the way you are talking about. But it might make sense that thinkers would have slightly higher testosterone levels since we control our emotions better, perhaps mood swings come from estrogen?
I think you're slightly misunderstanding me... I am not talking about stereotypical masculinity traits. Notice I am not a huge macho buff guy, nor do I care for sports or beer. I'm talking about psychological masculinity. In MBTI theory, ENTP is a masculine thinking type. So an ENTP male (or female) may be scrawny, kind, sensitive, good decorator, whatever... that doesn't make them any less masculine in their thinking style.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm not 100% if this is true, but there is a general belief that the ratio of the length of your index finger to that of your ring finger is to do with exposure to testosterone in the womb. Women are exposed to less testosterone in the womb, and usually their index and ring fingers are roughly equal, whereas men are exposed to more testosterone and usually have longer ring fingers. I'm not sure if or how this relates to the amount of testosterone in your body as an adult, but my ring fingers are a good few millimeters longer than my index fingers.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
that's one word people use to describe us. We naturally like to wear feminine dresses, jewlry, make-up and walk, talk, laugh like women. Except that we are not fashionista and we have our own sense of fashion. But still, people told us yesterday again that we are very feminine and I've notice it's a word that come often from people about me.
I think ENTP females are still very different from ENTP males so it's has nothing to do with feminity or masculinity. Rather to do with how people "perceive" feminity or masculinity. People think that thinking is a masculine trait and feeling is a feminine trait. And to some extent this is statistically true. But not overly. I remember it's a ratio of 60/40 % only. It rather has to do with our social representations than reality.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think you're slightly misunderstanding me... I am not talking about stereotypical masculinity traits. Notice I am not a huge macho buff guy, nor do I care for sports or beer. I'm talking about psychological masculinity. In MBTI theory, ENTP is a masculine thinking type. So an ENTP male (or female) may be scrawny, kind, sensitive, good decorator, whatever... that doesn't make them any less masculine in their thinking style.
I guess I'm confused on what a masculine thinking style would be or what is psychologically masculine. But I don't think you can attribute confidence or social domineering to testosterone levels. That kind of makes it sound like both are more common in men than women, which isn't at all true. That also makes it sound like both are more common in thinkers than feelers. My brother is an INTJ married to an ESFJ female and she is much more domineering than him.

Reactions: Callie

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm not 100% if this is true, but there is a general belief that the ratio of the length of your index finger to that of your ring finger is to do with exposure to testosterone in the womb. Women are exposed to less testosterone in the womb, and usually their index and ring fingers are roughly equal, whereas men are exposed to more testosterone and usually have longer ring fingers. I'm not sure if or how this relates to the amount of testosterone in your body as an adult, but my ring fingers are a good few millimeters longer than my index fingers.
Actually the ring finger is shorter on females typically. I love that theory though, I've always found it interesting.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This makes some sense to me, I do tend to have those traits. I fully believe that chemical levels could have a lot to do with personality development.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I guess I'm confused on what a masculine thinking style would be or what is psychologically masculine. But I don't think you can attribute confidence or social domineering to testosterone levels. That kind of makes it sound like both are more common in men than women, which isn't at all true. That also makes it sound like both are more common in thinkers than feelers. My brother is an INTJ married to an ESFJ female and she is much more domineering than him.
I think she means this sort of thing: Brainsex Matters - Determine your brainsex, London, UK

I have done an online test before and it said I have a male brain (BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID)

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's interesting, my ring finger is a lot longer than my index. xD

·
Banned
92 Posts
that's one word people use to describe us. We naturally like to wear feminine dresses, jewlry, make-up and walk, talk, laugh like women. Except that we are not fashionista and we have our own sense of fashion. But still, people told us yesterday again that we are very feminine and I've notice it's a word that come often from people about me.
I think ENTP females are still very different from ENTP males so it's has nothing to do with feminity or masculinity. Rather to do with how people "perceive" feminity or masculinity. People think that thinking is a masculine trait and feeling is a feminine trait. And to some extent this is statistically true. But not overly. I remember it's a ratio of 60/40 % only. It rather has to do with our social representations than reality.
Agreed on that.
For me, not too feminine but not quite tomboy. I like femininity but i don't have bright rainbow glitter icings running through my veins. My attitude and mentality tends to be more perceived 'masculine' and maybe domineering than the non ENTP girls i know.
More outspoken than the 'timid girl', more even tempered than the 'diva thang', more feminine than the 'tomboy'.
I haven't met any ENTP girls in real life yet. Alot of my female friends tend to be either Fs or SJs, so when it comes down to pouring out emotions, pointing fingers and traditional expectations, i'm at a loss. I prefer solid logic and holding off judgement. My ST and NT female friends are more er 'stable'.
The aha! moments among ENTPs are the same i believe, like when we're excited about a new idea or something, we physically get very excited which may seem to be more of a preconceived female thing than male.

EDIT: ... my right ring finger is a little longer than my right index, however my left ring finger is a bit shorter.. QUESTION..

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My ENTP-female love-of-my-life is decidedly masculine-thinking. She fills out a pencil skirt nicely and all the parts work in fine female fashion, but the brain . . . yeah . . .

·
Registered
803 Posts
@hziegel

It told me I was a Euro weak female once....but I have tried a few different types of texts, and the results differ giving both male and female and formal and informal. There is no real pattern. I noticed one thing right off - the more tersely I write and the more/shorter paragraphs I make, and fewer I-statements I use, the more it tells me I am male. :D

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have wondered this myself... especially because of how much I DON'T feel like a girl. It's funny because it's one of those love/hate relationships; I love being different or unique (to some degree), but I also hate feeling like I'm not "a part of" (and I also hate that I hate that lol). I definitely prefer to be like this than overly girly because I find most fashion/make-up/gender expectations to be a bunch of bullshit used to keep people from thinking for themselves.

I tried the ring finger test and I can't quite tell because if I slightly move my fingers their heights totally change... so I'm thinking they're pretty much equal.

Depending which bit of formal writing I use in the gender guesser I get either weak female or just plain male lol. For informal the same thing happened. The biggest difference was conveying feelings and just explaining/talking about something... interesting little "test" thingy.

I am NOTHING like this. I seriously dislike most feminine things... I just don't feel like me when I wear a dress. I definitely fit in more with the guys (which is pretty annoying when wanting to not be friend-zoned) and rarely enjoy any sort of "girly" conversation.

Perhaps you don't understand how different chemicals (like hormones) affect our brains' functions. Also, historically speaking men have been attributed to having so-called "masculine thinking/behaviors" and I think a lot of that has to do with societal norms. Now, when women are "allowed" to have masculine traits and stuff, it makes sense that it would become more prevalent and not so male-dominated. While you are correct in that not all thinkers are one way and not all feelers are the opposite, there ARE trends that can be seen. Plus, I think comparing an I/E relationship and who is more "domineering" isn't really touching on hziegle's theory because 1) that could be a whole different dynamic at play, and 2) like most things, being domineering is subjective, both to the observer and those participating.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts