Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty simple stuff, and I guess it's just for reassurance more than anything...

My girlfriend is an absolute ENTP, more ENTP than I could have even thought possible.

I used to always think I'd pissed her off when she was unhappy with me. However now I've realised that it's because her emotions entirely go with the moment, and usually she isn't quite as pissed off as I thought she was making herself out to be, and just as easily she can become happy again.

So now, in general, if she's unhappy, I know that maybe if I just call her in half an hour, or whenever, her anger/sadness/etc will almost certainly be totally gone, and whatever the problem was will have gone too, since actually it wasn't such a problem at all and she just acted in her own massively extroverted way to express her attitude towards the situation, and once the situation had passed, her emotions passed with it!

...I know it's a generalisation and of course some things are a lot more serious, but, for 'normal' circumstances, am I right?

Sorry, I hate relationship questions. Maybe try to see this one as more of an 'INTP guy trying to see logic in his girlfriend's actions'. Haha.

·
Registered
585 Posts
She's an F.
I'm inclined to agree... I think I've been infinitely patient with everyone I've dated, and I don't tend to enotionally explode like that either. I've also been with an INTP, and she's usually the one spazzing out over things while I mostly wait for her to finish before I try to calm her down

·
Registered
651 Posts
There are instances where in the moment I get aggravated and express it, but it always comes out like I'm pissed when usually it's just a small inconvenience in my mind. Sometimes I might do this just to see what kind of reaction I get from whoever is around me, which is usually a confused reaction, or I might just happen to be obnoxiously dramatic in my approach to annoying situations.

I think your logic is correct. Personally my attention span lasts .2 seconds and I will get over anything after I've analyzed it thoroughly (or after social interaction), but I don't generally feel emotions on a regular basis so.. you basically have to catch me when I'm PMSing.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
haha.

I live with three F's though, and the thing they do that really winds me up is that emotional splurge thing. I just don't get why life has to be so dramatic. I find it tiring.

I think the OP could easily mistake his gf for an ENTP when she is ENFP. His Ti will be so strong he won't be able to see whether she has any or not.

Just a theory, anyway.

·
Registered
651 Posts
haha.

I live with three F's though, and the thing they do that really winds me up is that emotional splurge thing. I just don't get why life has to be so dramatic. I find it tiring.
Maybe because you live with so many Fs, your own F is turned WAY down. Pray tell.. why do you live with so many Fs??! Haha :p

·
Banned
293 Posts
Nah, I think she may very well be an ENTP.

If I'm irritated by something, lets say my boyfriend won't put his stuff away in my flat, I'll ask once or twice and then I will get extremely p****ed off, once it's done, I'm absolutely fine.
It's not an emotional thing it's just a means to an end, I use the same thing to motivate myself if I'm falling behind with my work etc. And ENTP's are nothing if not dramatic ;)

So yes OP, sounds pretty "normal" to me, also sounds like you've found an effective way of dealing with it - bravo :p

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, she doesn't actually explode in rage - not at all! Just she gets 'serious' about totally illogical things and seems to see it as some kind of major hurdle we need to overcome. Usually it ends in her outlining her way of thinking and what needs to be done for the problem not to happen again, which is annoying for me because I just have to sit back and take it, while in my mind I'm just thinking, "What the hell was the problem in the first place......?" Hah!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Aha. So really not having an emotional splurge at all, having an intellectual splurge and taking things more seriously than you do. Maybe you are too laid back? an ENTP will want to engage more with the outside world than you do.

Why do you think the problems she wants to solve are illogical?

As for this...
why do you live with so many Fs??! Haha :p
I chose to live with one of them. I gave birth to the other two. It feels a little unjust at times.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe you're just really bad at reading her messages, or most things aren't a big deal to her (which is ENTP behavior).

I've found that some of my guy friends read things I do or say waaaayyy off from what I intended. It's okay, that's normal.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problems she wants to solve are illogical because, in the bigger picture, they aren't problems at all.

ENTPs... you guys just need to remember how irrelevant most worries actually are!

Instead of living in the 'what if', the 'what was' and the 'what will be', live in the 'now' and the 'it's always now so whatever isn't now can just become now later'.

I'm gonna assume you guys, being ENTPs, think that that previous sentence makes no sense at all?! Haha!

I'm just putting it out there to see if I'm coming to understand ENTPs properly yet or not!

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
The problems she wants to solve are illogical because, in the bigger picture, they aren't problems at all.

ENTPs... you guys just need to remember how irrelevant most worries actually are!

Instead of living in the 'what if', the 'what was' and the 'what will be', live in the 'now' and the 'it's always now so whatever isn't now can just become now later'.

I'm gonna assume you guys, being ENTPs, think that that previous sentence makes no sense at all?! Haha!

I'm just putting it out there to see if I'm coming to understand ENTPs properly yet or not!
Worry? Me? No. Most of the time, I'm telling other people to stop worrying, because I figure it'll all work out okay.

I don't live in the past, now, or in the future. I live in the possibilities of all three, and this keeps me content. I mostly forge ahead with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

Worry? Me? No. Most of the time, I'm telling other people to stop worrying, because I figure it'll all work out okay.

I don't live in the past, now, or in the future. I live in the possibilities of all three, and this keeps me content. I mostly forge ahead with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement.

That's why this girl isn't an ENTP at all

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or... maybe I just don't understand her yet! Hah! She's undoubtedly ENTP in the way she sees there world. She has no Sense or Feel at all, that's for sure. I reckon I just interpreted/described it wrong, so what I've written here in no way reflects what I think I was supposed to say...:confused:

Basically ignore everything I just said. I'm an INTP trying to find logic in an ENTP and, frankly, I can't, hah!

The main thing I notice about myself and her is that we think the same but are pretty much polar opposite with the way we go about things.

Actually.. in what I said before about 'not worrying'. I think that was the wrong thing to say. She doesn't worry at all. She never goes on to me about her problems or anxieties. She wants to fix everything herself, do everything herself, achieve everything herself, etc. I guess what I meant is that she (and most ENTPs?) gets into things so intensely that all external factors seem to be divided into helpful/unhelpful, and therefore, since I'm just her boyfriend, I'm not a particularly useful tool in whatever she might be doing, so I can easily do the 'wrong' thing/waste her time. Does that make more sense?

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Or... maybe I just don't understand her yet! Hah! She's undoubtedly ENTP in the way she sees there world. She has no Sense or Feel at all, that's for sure. I reckon I just interpreted/described it wrong, so what I've written here in no way reflects what I think I was supposed to say...:confused:

Basically ignore everything I just said. I'm an INTP trying to find logic in an ENTP and, frankly, I can't, hah!

The main thing I notice about myself and her is that we think the same but are pretty much polar opposite with the way we go about things.

Actually.. in what I said before about 'not worrying'. I think that was the wrong thing to say. She doesn't worry at all. She never goes on to me about her problems or anxieties. She wants to fix everything herself, do everything herself, achieve everything herself, etc. I guess what I meant is that she (and most ENTPs?) gets into things so intensely that all external factors seem to be divided into helpful/unhelpful, and therefore, since I'm just her boyfriend, I'm not a particularly useful tool in whatever she might be doing, so I can easily do the 'wrong' thing/waste her time. Does that make more sense?
Possibly.

Wasn't there a type called 'the doers'? lol.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hmm.

I can relate to that a little, in that I am very bad at delegating because of course no-one can do anything as well as I can.

But then I quite often don't finish stuff, and it's rare that I worry about it.

I am still not sure that you necessarily have your girl's type correct.

I would say that it is an illogical approach to say "my gf is ENTP but I don't understand her...why?" when actually it would be more appropriate to say "I don't understand this aspect of my gf's behaviour, what type is she?"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts