Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has ENTP humor been like, in your experience?

A lot of people know me for making incredibly lame puns, but I also go pretty dark, considered by some to be dangerous. Here are a couple of quotes describing my darker sense of humor:

My father is most probably an ENTP (as is my sister, and my same-age cousin who I consider to be my brother). He doesn't really get into lame puns. Instead, he likes to tell really offensive jokes. Particularly about Dutch people, because since it's okay to make fun of your own people. On top of that, he does have this one good joke about Native Americans that's super-offensive. Now if the ENTP that the OP is talking about demonstrated that sort of humor regularly, I would see why his sense of humor would be as bad as his Devil's Advocacy. But seriously, it's only puns. That's pretty harmless.

But back on to my father's sense of humor, I'd say that he has that wry ENTP sense of amusement with the world. Instead of getting infuriated by the world's stupidity, he laughs at it. That's probably his main mode of humor. I mean seriously, there's some pretty messed up stuff that he considers funny. We're pretty similar in that regard, although I think that I have a few more boundaries than him. For example, we can both find depression and self-harm kind of hilarious in a cynical way, but he's alone when he finds rape a laughing matter (I should clarify, he would never rape. I'm just saying that he's amused by just how messed up it is.).

This old sense of humor of ours has definitely offended quite a bit of people. I can definitely see how it should probably be kept in check.
"When we're afraid, the thing that we lose first after terrible things happen is laughter. One of the things we're afraid to do is to laugh....That's sort of what they want, because when we don't laugh that means we're afraid. And one of the ways in which the Berlin Wall fell, it is said, was the East Germans could see that the West was best. One of the ways they knew that was they could hear the sound of laughter over the wall. Laughter is the first thing to leave us when the authoritarians take hold. The thing that tyrants hate the most is laughter because it means that somebody somewhere has gone off script. Someone has gone off message. The freedoms that you have are best exemplified by our ability to laugh, and to enjoy jokes with one another. It's often said that to find out who has power in a society, you must find out who you're not allowed to laugh at." - [Milo Yiannopoulos]

I laugh at some pretty dark stuff. For example, cutting and self-harm is pretty dark and it rather sobers me, but at the same time, I find it hilarious. How can you not find it funny? "Rawr! The human spirit is indomitable! Never mind all of those people who totally fail at life!" There's something darkly humorous about someone who's probably a really good person damaging his body because he can't handle life. People will probably say at his funeral that he was always an enthusiastic person who made other people smile, because people usually say that at funerals. Wouldn't that be ironic? I think so. And I laugh at that. Also, cutting yourself leaves funny-looking marks. Or they can be badass, depending on how you think about them. Sometimes badass can be kind of funny, though, if you think about it. If you think that this is cruel of me and that I have no idea what people who struggle with this go through, think again, because I've cut myself, on my freaking face, so I feel completely entitled to joke about these things.

Also, this election. I've joked mercilessly about the candidates. It's what keeps me from getting depressed about this. The election is pretty dark, because the candidates suck, and they suck enough that it's almost enough to change my worldview. How do I survive a worldview-changing experience about my place in the world as an American? With humor. Because humor keeps us alive.
Yes, dark humor definitely helps me get through crises of identity. It also helps me deal with the great pains that I have to endure through life. It doesn't negate the pain, because it remains very real all the same, but through humor, I learn to embrace the pain and life with it. It helps me rise above my circumstance and recapture some of my dignity.

Maybe this isn't typical of all ENTPs. I'm sure ENTPs can have a very wide range of humor. I know that I certainly do. However, I suspect that ENTPs are more likely to embrace dark humor, and the way that they embrace it is so unique to them. There's something about it that makes it more than just dark humor, but specifically ENTP dark humor. I'd like to hear you guys describe it.

Also, other forms of humor that's distinctly ENTP.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I dont know too many entps IRL. This is about one guy I had a flirtatious working relationship with during a very short project (2 months). Entp 7w8. He was incredibly witty. He caught details others missed and turned them into hilarious absurd jokes. We all enjoyed working with him because it meant non stop laughter. My stomach hurt almost everyday because of him. He used to have fun at one person's expense, but that person never really caught on to the blatantly obvious signs. We were all in on the joke. I don't think his sense of humor was too dark (mine is darker), but it did stretch my humor limits in other ways (which was good).

Online, I've noticed that quite a few entps have an amazing sense of humor (some definitely don't). The threads in your subforum are frequently entertaining. I love that ENTP irreverence. I come here to let that side of me loose.

One thing I like: when you guys are in humor mode (and ESTPs too), you don't take much personally. A lot of other types often do. It gets exhausting and boring to joke with them. I know some things are off limits for various people and that's understandable, but if too much is off limit, who wants to joke around w/ them?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@gritglossandrainbows Yeah, I definitely see how irreverence is a common thread for ENTPs. It doesn't necessarily have to beget dark humor, but there's still something incredibly fun about laughing at things that you shouldn't laugh at, and making jokes when it doesn't seem appropriate. So I can talk about some serious stuff and still be cracking jokes to show that I don't even take serious stuff too seriously. In a way, that's what I'm doing when I'm making incredibly lame puns. It's like I'm treating humor itself irreverently.

Often times I will also make jokes that will intentionally try to provoke people and offend them. It gets their temperatures up, and it's fun. Someone thought that I must be anti-social, which isn't necessarily true. I just think that conversations are more rewarding when the other people are more passionate. If you push a bunch of buttons, you're more likely to get somewhere. I think that one of the best ways to push someone's buttons is to joke flippantly about something that they care a lot about. That often gets them from being very non-participatory to completely engaged rather quickly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Humor has always been a big thing in my life. I joke about everything all the time. NOTHING is above or out of reach of humor in my eyes. Sure I won't be cracking holocaust jokes in jewish parties or anything like that.
When younger it helped me trough school as a tiny guy 'cause when bullies tried to bully me I'd just throw myself in it an steal the show and they'd lose interest in bullying me cause I wouldn't react how they wanted. People were laughing with me, not at me.
I've been misunderstood many times as I always joke and every now and then I'm accused at not taking something serious. When infact the more serious something gets the more likely my defensive humor kicks in.

Mostly my humor is really lame puns/jokes (after all: Lame joke once a day keeps the laughter away). Anything from light to black hole dark.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sarcastic, as people say ENTPs are, but my humor is pretty dark and sometimes I make jokes about people, which make them upset. After I realise it I try to fix what I did, and by the end of the conversation I made the person love me again

·
Registered
127 Posts
My teacher is a clean-cut ENTP, and he's just effin' hilarious. He gets away with so much, it's a bit weird, but I think it's because people find him too interesting to complain to their parents about him. And he knows it.

He's easy on the eyes, as well. If he wasn't my teacher, I'd have a beer with him. And I don't even drink beer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Word play. Who doesn't love a good Pun. Unfortunately my word play has to be a bit less subtle now a days as none of my friends are English speakers natively (And their level isn't super high, and my accent is Irish so...). But man, when it's good, it's so good. I have a friend who I love to bat with, I say an insulting thing, she says other insulting things. Love that shit. Wit is the most attractive quality someone can have. Nothing worse than someone who just bends over and takes it without without a word.

When I was younger (I mean I'm only 24 so.. maybe 5 years ago) I was super dark, but it can also depend on the person I'm with, if they wanna go dark, I'll follow, hell I may even lead. I have a very dark friend. Ever seen Serbian Film? Pretty dark.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's situational. If the mood is tense, I diffuse it with light humor, mainly to point out how ridiculously serious everyone is being over nothing.

My humor can be pretty dark at times. Usually it's dry and sarcastic. Not too many puns.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
To be honest, first time I met an ENTP, I found the sense of humor to be off. But I gradually grew fond of it as time passed by. Now my ENTP friend is one of my favorites. Though, I think I won't be able to take a full circle of ENTPs. That would be waaaay too much to handle. Hahaha.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My teacher is a clean-cut ENTP, and he's just effin' hilarious. He gets away with so much, it's a bit weird, but I think it's because people find him too interesting to complain to their parents about him. And he knows it.

He's easy on the eyes, as well. If he wasn't my teacher, I'd have a beer with him. And I don't even drink beer.
I had a teacher like that when I was in high school. He got away with so much. He wasn't particularly flamboyant, but he made some jokes that really pushed the envelope. He also teased almost all of the students, and he would even tease kids on religious and political stuff. He was a history teacher, so he would often talk about the history of different worldviews, and he would try to challenge us to think through our own ways of thinking of things. Since he incorporated it into what he was teaching, he got away with it. Seriously, though, he kept track of who went to what church, and he had a list of things that he'd make fun of from each church. He also would talk about the history of women's roles in society, and he'd notice that the feminist in the front row would get uncomfortably silent and have a judgmental look in her eye. "What, Jackie?" He's ask her. He'd tease her about getting all fret over stupid stuff that happened many generations ago.

He also absolutely loved playing Devil's Advocate. Even though he made it clear from the beginning that he was a Republican (although he isn't now; as I recall, he said that he would leave the party if Donald Trump ever ran), he would often put conservative students on the defensive. And then he'd do the same to liberal students. He'd challenge anyone and everyone's beliefs.

In every way, he was definitely an ENTP. I couldn't confuse him for anything else. His way of explaining things in history was very intuitive, and also ery logical, so he was obviously an NT. The way he found different viewpoint fascinating and got energy from immersing himself in the diversity of his students was very Extroverted Perceiving.

I loved that guy. He was one of my favorite teachers, and very good at what he did. It's a miracle that he didn't get in trouble for making fun of his students so much. He had a dark sense of humor sometimes. Although I think that I heard that he eventually got warned by the principal to hold back a bit more.

Another cool thing about him was that he always had nicknames for his students. People in my high school got their nicknames from him, for better or for worse. Once he nicknamed someone, it was official. Sadly, I never ended up getting a nickname.

Also, this guy was 6'6", a fitness nut, and had ADHD. Just some other random facts about him that might give you a clearer picture of what kind of guy he was. He was very interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts