Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in elementary school I was definitely and ENTP. I would argue with all my teachers, prove them wrong and they would still love me because of my incredible charm.

I didn't have a lot of friends then people thought I was weird/ I didn't know how to handle some social situations. My best friend was brilliant like me but didn't express it as much so I was always the one who stood out.

My mom finally convinced me to be homeschooled in 7th grade and this continued through 8th grade. I don't actually remember much of those two years, probably because of the lack of social interaction.

When I went back to public school in 9th I vowed to change. I was going to have a lot of friends I told myself. So I stopped speaking up in class, stopped charming my teachers. By my senior year I had made progress socially (although not much).

Then something changed. My senior year of hs I became really laid back (this may have started my junior year). I stopped caring about people I didn't like, I stopped putting so much effort into school. I just became really laid back and my goal in life was to have fun. I was still socially enept around most students in my grade (I assume because of previous associations that were hard to break) but I found that I could strut around school llike I owned it and younger students would totally buy into it. I still didn't much of a social life outside of school.

Two years later (now) I have a group of friends I hang with often but I can't imagine going years or even a week without hanging out with them. In fact I start to lose my mind after a couple days without social interaction (outside of school and work). After a couple days of staying locked in my house (because of homework or conflicting schedules or whatever) I begin to feel like I used to, a horribly feeling of going crazy because I am locked in my head.

What happened? Am I still an ENTP? And to tell you the truth I liked being outspoken, I felt "smarter" when I would argue with my teachers or people who were wrong. I enjoy being laid back, but I no longer feel "brilliant." Of course I still have a habit of chastising "ignorant" people with sarcasm...

Shout I wanted to keep this short and to the point so someone would read it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'll get back to this, bc i need to sleep...

You could read up some on type development on the forum here, and possibly check the thread about tertiary loops as well...

·
Registered
479 Posts
You sound like an ENTP. It's much more about preference than acting on those preferences, so don't stress.

Reactions: spoonforkknife

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
OK, so here are some thoughts. I'm in no way any expert on this, but find personality development very interesting, so I try to learn more, and now you're giving me a good opportunity... :happy:

(And I realise that what I've just written is a very compact text, so read it slowly if you want to catch the details... :laughing:)

As you might know ENTP, which I will assume is your MBTI type, is a shorthand for describing which Cognitive Functions you prefer. Preference does not mean which functions you use most or best, but simply which you prefer to use in a "neutral situation". From this follows that your behaviour will change depending on the context you find yourself in (e.g. in school or at home) and also be different in different periods of your life, even though your type does not change.

The for primary Cognitive Functions for an ENTP are Extraverted iNtuition (Ne), Introverted Thinking (Ti), Extraverted Feeling (Fe) and Introverted Sensing (Si), in that order.

The dominant (Ne) and auxiliary (Ti) are what characterizes the ENTP and they are what you were using in the situations your are thinking about when describing yourself as a typical ENTP in elementary school. Your relative lack of both F and S explains why you would not fit in the social setting very well. When you decided to change this after your two years of homeschooling, this makes sense to understand as your Fe starting to come out. The fact that you describe it as a very conscious decision is striking, as what is happening here is that your dominant function Ne is giving more space to your function Fe to function and develop, and in your case this seems to have been a very deliberate change in your attitude and your values.

What comes after that is probably part your adapting to the social context of high school, and part becoming more confident in using your social skills. (Note that your social skills are not the same thing as Fe - just that the combination of Ne, Ti and Fe, work much better in a social context, than Ne and Ti without the Fe.)

What seems to happen to you in two different situations that you describe is that you are forced off balance, and this makes you feel less comfortable with your self in the long run. One of the situations is when you were homeschooled and were left with too little social contact. That can make anyone miserable (even an introvert). In your case, you were probably understimulated. This same situation comes back if you don't interact socially with you friends for a few days. The second situation is now that you are focusing heavily on making friends and make a priority of fitting in. While this is perfectly understandable, there seems to be a risk that in doing this you push back other parts of who you are. You say that you try not to let your intelligence stand out, try to be less outspoken, and debate things less. All these things are parts of yourself that you can put in the background for a while, but that you can't ignore in the long run without feeling off. (What you need to do is to find socially acceptable ways of channelling this drive...)

You certainly fit my understanding of an ENTP, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. What you seem to be doing now is working on finding a more balanced "you", that neither neglects social interaction, nor supresses your unique personality and perspective. This is not easy, and a process that takes time, but for you to develop your personality further, I would suggest that you try to be aware of what your feelings are trying to say to you, and find the proper place for you to express what you think of as your "ENTP-ness", while at the same time digesting that the other side of you is also a proper part of your personality, and that by balancing both sides, you are becoming a more mature person.

Hope that helps... :happy:

When I was in elementary school I was definitely and ENTP. I would argue with all my teachers, prove them wrong and they would still love me because of my incredible charm.

I didn't have a lot of friends then people thought I was weird/ I didn't know how to handle some social situations. My best friend was brilliant like me but didn't express it as much so I was always the one who stood out.

My mom finally convinced me to be homeschooled in 7th grade and this continued through 8th grade. I don't actually remember much of those two years, probably because of the lack of social interaction.

When I went back to public school in 9th I vowed to change. I was going to have a lot of friends I told myself. So I stopped speaking up in class, stopped charming my teachers. By my senior year I had made progress socially (although not much).

Then something changed. My senior year of hs I became really laid back (this may have started my junior year). I stopped caring about people I didn't like, I stopped putting so much effort into school. I just became really laid back and my goal in life was to have fun. I was still socially enept around most students in my grade (I assume because of previous associations that were hard to break) but I found that I could strut around school llike I owned it and younger students would totally buy into it. I still didn't much of a social life outside of school.

Two years later (now) I have a group of friends I hang with often but I can't imagine going years or even a week without hanging out with them. In fact I start to lose my mind after a couple days without social interaction (outside of school and work). After a couple days of staying locked in my house (because of homework or conflicting schedules or whatever) I begin to feel like I used to, a horribly feeling of going crazy because I am locked in my head.

What happened? Am I still an ENTP? And to tell you the truth I liked being outspoken, I felt "smarter" when I would argue with my teachers or people who were wrong. I enjoy being laid back, but I no longer feel "brilliant." Of course I still have a habit of chastising "ignorant" people with sarcasm...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't know if this is helpful or not (I don't relate to it), but I thought I might post it for you to read anyway. There's probably more on personal growth on the ENTP subforum here as well...

ENTP Personal Growth
:happy:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so here are some thoughts. I'm in no way any expert on this, but find personality development very interesting, so I try to learn more, and now you're giving me a good opportunity... :happy:
Hope that helps... :happy:
Awesome! That's a really good analysis penchant and thanks for the link too. So much good information I have to analyze over and over...

Now I REALLY need to get out of the house, I've been drowning my mind in this ever since I read it. I hope I sleep tonight...

:dry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts