Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet there has been a thread on this before, but here it goes

They are meant to be our "natural" partners. So I've been doing some research on it for while. I'm also curious on has any INFJ's ever meet a ENTP. If so what was it like? because I know me as a INFJ I do tend to get bored with people quickly because I understand them so well.

I don't know any N's, expect my INTJ best friend.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, I married an INTP...It's close...

Reactions: nikkii

·
Registered
836 Posts
So admittedly it takes me a while to figure out what someones type is...

But I've really liked the one ENTP I know I've met. It took me a while to figure out what his 'deal' was. At first, I could just tell we were opposites in most things, but I understood everything he was saying. The more I interacted with him, the more I could appreciate him and the way his mind worked. Also, the more we interacted, the more we could just read what the other wanted. Our conversations were kind of odd at first, and then became very interesting. Remember - both of us are coming from the opposite side of a situation... so we weren't on the same page about things, but it was almost like we were trying to explain our perspective to the other. An interesting push-pull sort of interaction.

Personal thoughts for this one ENTP - he was very very spacey. He couldn't remember meeting times, or when to work, unless he set up multiple reminders for himself. He was pretty selfish. Most of his humor was self-oriented, and he definitely had a healthy ego. He would randomly come up with the most brillant thoughts ever. He is a computer programmer, and would randomly write programs to make life easier. His follow through on ideas was typically kind of bad. He would abandon things after thinking them up - until he got bored and then would invent a solution to a problem that had been bugging us for weeks.

I really liked the guy, and I know he liked me, if it wasn't for me dating someone else - and him graduating, we probably would have dated for awhile. Oh life situations, how you get in the way sometimes...

Also, it probably depends person-to-person on INFJ-ENTP experiences. My guess is every INFJ isn't like me, and every ENTP isn't like this guy either.

·
Registered
INFP
1,049 Posts
I think I was working with an ENTP last summer. We haven't talk all that much but when we did it just seam to click. Ni vs Ne is a logical choice, sometimes I was just saying stuff and she could figure out the rest of my phrase before I completed them.

Like I said we didn't talk all that much though, we mostly had to work so I'd like to meet another one at some point and get to know her more in depth.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think interactions really depends more on a person's maturity rather than a person's type. So while it can be helpful to read about other's personal experiences, it really depends on the particular individual.

That said, I personally get turned off by most people I know who have a P preference. I can't get my head around their decision making - on one hand, they take forever to come to a conclusion. And that's coming from ME of all people. I tend to be cautious, careful and thorough before I make a conclusion, but it seems that even after all this thinking, those with P preferences are constantly looking for something more to validate their thoughts or collect more data or something. And then when they finally come to a conclusion, it's often not reasonable (to me, at least).

I have yet to meet someone with a P preference that I feel some kind of compatibility with, whether in a relationship or friendship.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think interactions really depends more on a person's maturity rather than a person's type. So while it can be helpful to read about other's personal experiences, it really depends on the particular individual.

That said, I personally get turned off by most people I know who have a P preference. I can't get my head around their decision making - on one hand, they take forever to come to a conclusion. And that's coming from ME of all people. I tend to be cautious, careful and thorough before I make a conclusion, but it seems that even after all this thinking, those with P preferences are constantly looking for something more to validate their thoughts or collect more data or something. And then when they finally come to a conclusion, it's often not reasonable (to me, at least).

I have yet to meet someone with a P preference that I feel some kind of compatibility with, whether in a relationship or friendship.
I do not mind the P preference... however, if their style of communicating is 'Informing' rather than 'Directive' it can be annoying as hell. To me, that style of communication usually comes across as 'Passive Aggressive' rather than what it actually is, informing. A lot of the time, Ps come across as confusing because they talk around a point, and sometimes, can refuse to make decisions or commit to anything. A lot of time you are forced to draw lines between the information they are giving you, and what you think their opinion might be.

I know INFJs prefer to be direct (and I personally am), so I can understand your frustration. For example, if I want someone to do something, I will ask them to do it. *Not* complain about something and expect people to figure out that they need to solve my complaints.

Little ole J me prefers concise speech, that spells out what needs to occur, and what our future actions should be.

All of this said, the P preference doesn't bother me very much, especially not in my personal life. If nothing else it mellows me out a bit... as I can be somewhat bossy and high strung.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I could see why, P's tend to balance out my need to label everything.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So admittedly it takes me a while to figure out what someones type is...

But I've really liked the one ENTP I know I've met. It took me a while to figure out what his 'deal' was. At first, I could just tell we were opposites in most things, but I understood everything he was saying. The more I interacted with him, the more I could appreciate him and the way his mind worked. Also, the more we interacted, the more we could just read what the other wanted. Our conversations were kind of odd at first, and then became very interesting. Remember - both of us are coming from the opposite side of a situation... so we weren't on the same page about things, but it was almost like we were trying to explain our perspective to the other. An interesting push-pull sort of interaction.

Personal thoughts for this one ENTP - he was very very spacey. He couldn't remember meeting times, or when to work, unless he set up multiple reminders for himself. He was pretty selfish. Most of his humor was self-oriented, and he definitely had a healthy ego. He would randomly come up with the most brillant thoughts ever. He is a computer programmer, and would randomly write programs to make life easier. His follow through on ideas was typically kind of bad. He would abandon things after thinking them up - until he got bored and then would invent a solution to a problem that had been bugging us for weeks.

I really liked the guy, and I know he liked me, if it wasn't for me dating someone else - and him graduating, we probably would have dated for awhile. Oh life situations, how you get in the way sometimes...

Also, it probably depends person-to-person on INFJ-ENTP experiences. My guess is every INFJ isn't like me, and every ENTP isn't like this guy either.
oh that really sucks It sounds like a interesting combination though.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I do not mind the P preference... however, if their style of communicating is 'Informing' rather than 'Directive' it can be annoying as hell. To me, that style of communication usually comes across as 'Passive Aggressive' rather than what it actually is, informing. A lot of the time, Ps come across as confusing because they talk around a point, and sometimes, can refuse to make decisions or commit to anything.
Yep, and it also gives me a sense that they want other people to make decisions for them. But if you make decision for somebody else you also accept responsibility for that decision. And if it comes to failure then blame is also yours. So it seems like they are forever trying to mount responsibility on other people's shoulders. Which is all well and fine. But I have known one ENTP that did the following thing: if decision led to success, he was not ashamed to bask in the limelight and take credit for it. If decision led to fail he used it as a weapon against people to point out their failure to others whenever disagreements arose. He would usually phrase is as a joke to not set off people against him too much. At some point I discovered this type of game he indulged in and that made me completely cut out that part of our conversation where I ever told him what to do. I think he resented me for it but ah well ...

In general, I either get along with ENTPs very well, or have a sort of love-hate relations going where I'd really like the particular ENTP one moment and totally hate him or her the next.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I met an ENTP earlier this year through a close friend of mine at a party. For some reason, he initially had some instant fascination with me, though I did not think much of it at first because I think I subconsciously thought of him as just being an irresponsible, live in the moment, "just want to have fun" ESTP. When we finally got talking I made a comment early on about how I "know that I have to act responsible and watch how I act in public because I am going to be student teaching and have a full-time teacher job soon and I feel I need to be a good role model to my students". I said this thinking that it would turn him off and that he would then realize where I was coming from, but oddly enough he agreed with me and the rest of the conversation was just... intriguing. Its difficult to describe, but it was an instant connection and our conversations felt like "mind-sex".
I suddenly realized that he actually had goals for personal growth in life, which I found very attractive. His humor at times can be a bit egotistical, but I realize he just completely joking around like 95% of the time so you can't take it seriously. I've noticed in conversation that I'm the one who often initiates to get the conversation more serious.

The random conversations would be quite funny and intriguing as well. We'd both start talking in a metaphors and continue on until one of us would get to a point of "wait, what do you mean?"

Personal thoughts for this one ENTP - he was very very spacey. He couldn't remember meeting times, or when to work, unless he set up multiple reminders for himself.
I think its a trait of Ne that causes them to be rather scatterbrained. This ENTP I dealt with was brainstorming ideas on what to do one weekend when trying to pursue me and then when we finally met up he forgot the ideas he mentioned. He also seems to forget to call people or respond to people's messages... but that can be understandable with him because not only is he scatterbrained but also working 14 hour days and practically living out of an airplane. His brain is just all over the place. Its not that he doesn't care, because he truly does, its just that he's that scattered.

Of course, when he's traveling all over the place and working like a crazy person dating this ENTP is not really possible at this time. I will give him credit in that he was upfront and honest about it, in that's what he values... and because that's what I absolutely need rather than be in a point between "committed and no commit". However, he did assure me that he will grow up someday... not sure if that was a way to reassure me for the future or how to interpret that.. meh. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have a close male friend who I am fairly certain is an ENTP. When I first met him I found him overbearing and somewhat arrogant (which he is), but eventually we connected. I think that our natures compliment one another very well, though there is an element of love/hate (at least for me). We both live in the world of ideas, and share a similar world view, though he is far better able to exist in the practical world. I am the crusty, world-weary, dreamy naysayer to his overly enthusiastic, optimist problem-solver. He actively attempts to change the world to suit himself, while I alter myself to fit the world. He is an artist (not professional, but incredibly talented), overly concerned with the technical aspects of his craft, while I am a writer (not professional) who "feels" the flow of the words. He is bombastic and animated, while I am quiet and reserved. He has a rather perverse, and somewhat disturbing (to me), sense of humor, while mine is more subtle and refined. Yet, somehow, despite these differences or maybe because of them, we click as friends.

His one annoying habit (well, the most annoying) is a propensity to play devil's advocate and to argue his ideas relentlessly in an effort to get you to see things precisely as he does, even though you already agree with them, or at least concede their possibility, and it is really merely a matter of semantics (or indiferrence).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
ENTPs are a mixed bag. Because a young ENTP will have little to no Fe which is one of their lesser cognitive functions. The lack of feeling makes them very abrasive and insensitive to others around them. However, one who has developed it, I can get along with extremely well and have some very good conversations with. One of my best friends scores as an ENTP or an ENFP, her T and F are very close. We get along very well.

Just like with everything about how one type gets along with another type, it all depends on the specific people.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Entp / infj

I bet there has been a thread on this before, but here it goes

They are meant to be our "natural" partners. So I've been doing some research on it for while. I'm also curious on has any INFJ's ever meet a ENTP. If so what was it like? because I know me as a INFJ I do tend to get bored with people quickly because I understand them so well.

I don't know any N's, expect my INTJ best friend.
nikkii,

Thank you nikkii for this opportunity to talk about my current circumstance. I finally am getting more serious about MBTI, and I have an ENTP friend who does spiritual practice with me. He has a crush on me, people think, because of how he looks at me! His eyes are always glazed, and stuff. We went to dinner the other night, with another friend. I dislike staying out after dark, and after calling my dad for a ride, he looked at me, and told me specifically: "You are the cutest thing that I have ever seen! and the sweetest girl..."

I suppose I want to share my moment, as it is not often that I get compliments! tee hee, but looking at this further, I do see that he is quite scatter brained. I'm feel his comment was genuine, he somehow looks up to me, he thinks I'm smart and stuff. I like that he is always positive in speech, and makes efforts to grow.

To kind of tease him a bit in the moment, I did mention to him that our personalities are quite compatible. He is usually in his mind though, preoccupied with work, and school and stuff. Definitely all over the place, and a good 'friend' type. I could see us compatible in many ways, plus he is really good looking, what's with the T's and the looks? But for now, I will just wait and see. He is too young, among other things. I prefer my ENFJ young friend, he is stuck on his best friend for now.

Well that was my ENTP moment! I plan to see advice from ENTPs to see what was going on, and what he meant by saying those things, is that considered a compliment in ENTP world? or just a passing comment. He doesn't seem to have the intensity that I do. There would be a lot missing, if feel. I like ENTJ, I mean if he were more aggressive and less scatter-brained, I'd be more excited about all this! But for now, not looking, or focusing on relationships. Just school...how is school, btw nikki? It seems your room-mates are nice, and you are loving your experience :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My best friend and sister in spirit is an ENTP and we are like halves of a whole.
She is a morbid smartass and I am a pessimistic romantic but we are both intellects that can debate/discuss subjects that interest us for hours. (Especially Psychology and Metaphysics)
Although we both are dominant N, I see things through an empathetic eye while she sees things clinically.
For example, the last discussion we had was over Victor Frankenstein.
I am angry with him for creating his monster, for though I am fascinated with the idea at a scientific level, I am too filled with compassion for his creature. To think that he was created, born into a world that would fear and hate him for the sake of curiosity is careless and cruel in my opinion.
My ENTP, on the other hand, is far more fascinated in the idea of "How would that theoretically work?" "What would it take to do so?" "The theory is plausible so what if...?"
My ENFJ and INFJ friends share my empathy while my INTP and ESTJ friends in class concur with my ENTP
So, we can share opinions, talk pros/cons, and leave unoffended and contemplative over understanding each others opinion while nonetheless holding our own.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have an ENTP friend and we get along very well. He likes to banter a lot (we could go for hours just doing that without any discomfort), he has great ideas and I haven't met anyone with a strong intuition as his, he has a enormous ego which he readily admits to but it is not standoffish because of his humor and he literally loves his computers (which he has named :crazy: ). The only thing I might comment about is he can be really harsh with his words sometimes (I think he is an enneagram 8 too).

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The majority of my close friends are ENTPs. They tend to gravitate to me.

I think I would be happiest with an ENTP for a mate. Their naturally challenging nature and the idea of "arguing for sport" actually works for me rather well. Someone who could stimulate me intellectually would be great.

I suppose I want to share my moment, as it is not often that I get compliments! tee hee, but looking at this further, I do see that he is quite scatter brained. I'm feel his comment was genuine, he somehow looks up to me, he thinks I'm smart and stuff. I like that he is always positive in speech, and makes efforts to grow.
Have you ever looked up Intertype Relations on Socionics.com?

Relations between Psychological ("personality") Types - Socionics.com

There it states that the relationship between the INFJ and ENTP is that of "relations of supervision", wherein the INFJ always has the upper hand on the ENTP. I brought this up because it sounds like what you're describing here. It also rather accurately displays the relationship I have with my ENTP journalist friend.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't know any in specific but I feel one of my friends might be one and I think I've had ENTP females come on to me.

Any males been in a relationship with a female ENTP?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know any in specific but I feel one of my friends might be one and I think I've had ENTP females come on to me.

Any males been in a relationship with a female ENTP?
I'll let you know when I find me one. > <

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
nikkii,

Thank you nikkii for this opportunity to talk about my current circumstance. I finally am getting more serious about MBTI, and I have an ENTP friend who does spiritual practice with me. He has a crush on me, people think, because of how he looks at me! His eyes are always glazed, and stuff. We went to dinner the other night, with another friend. I dislike staying out after dark, and after calling my dad for a ride, he looked at me, and told me specifically: "You are the cutest thing that I have ever seen! and the sweetest girl..."

To kind of tease him a bit in the moment, I did mention to him that our personalities are quite compatible. He is usually in his mind though, preoccupied with work, and school and stuff. Definitely all over the place, and a good 'friend' type. I could see us compatible in many ways, plus he is really good looking, what's with the T's and the looks? But for now, I will just wait and see. He is too young, among other things. I prefer my ENFJ young friend, he is stuck on his best friend for now.

Well that was my ENTP moment! I plan to see advice from ENTPs to see what was going on, and what he meant by saying those things, is that considered a compliment in ENTP world? or just a passing comment. He doesn't seem to have the intensity that I do. There would be a lot missing, if feel. I like ENTJ, I mean if he were more aggressive and less scatter-brained, I'd be more excited about all this! But for now, not looking, or focusing on relationships. Just school...how is school, btw nikki? It seems your room-mates are nice, and you are loving your experience :)
He likes you.

Reactions: Female INFJ
1 - 20 of 53 Posts