Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAAAAGGGGGHHH

Ok So I'm not one to ask for romantic advice on a message board, or romantic advice at ALL for that matter, but seriously I'm at my wits end

I'm female and have been exclusively dating an INFP guy for about 6 months. We have a few issues that keep coming up in the relationship that's seriously making me want to push this guy out of a window... a very HIGH window.

Point of Contention# 1: We met 8 months ago and went out on several dates. I tend to juggle a few difft guys until there's 1 I really like and have determined through mutual decision that we want to date exclusively (and there's no sex involved until then :proud:). This isn't something that I hide, I sort of assume any guy I'm seeing is seeing other women until we have "the talk" so I don't see what it should be assumed that as a woman I wouldn't do the same? This was an issue for my bf when he found out (saw me out with another guy) and it's still an issue now because I think it's feeding his jealousy

Point of Contention #2: I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert, so the things that energize me are the things that make him tired and vice versa. I've dated other I's before and I've discovered the best way to deal with it is through compromise: a night where we do what he wants to do, a night where we do what I want to do. He only wants to do what he wants to do which invariably is something like hanging out at each other places, eating dinner and watching a movie. Not that I mind this but what I DO mind is on the days/nights that I need to get my extroversion on I'm either expected to take him along (so he can complain 1 hour into it about how tired he is) or go without him and not stay out past a certain hour:angry: We don't live together but he's kind of jealous and assumes I'm out getting a train run on me on Times Square if I'm out past 2 AM.

Point of Contention #3 : I'm OK looking, I'm an extrovert, I'm a happy person, I'm female and I live in a city with millions of people, so depending on where I am I can get my fair share of male attention. There's no flirting involved (at least not on my end that I'm aware of) but it's always an issue for him because he thinks I am. My first thought is that this is from insecurity on his part but he's also never dated an extrovert and maybe he's just not all that familiar on how we roll?

Anyway, I guess my questions are.. is there a way I can get this guy to chill or should I just save time and send him packing?

is this typical of INFPs ? I have a few INFP female friends and I've never dated them, but I have been privy to some of their semi- neurotic over analysis of their boyfriends and why he didn't call to check in or why did he smile at the waitress..

is he going to become clingier and needier and the relationship goes on? He's already told me that he wants me to smoother him, what more can there be after that besides keeping me chained up in a crawl space and telling me to put the lotion on my skin and then in the basket?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
AAAAAGGGGGHHH

Ok So I'm not one to ask for romantic advice on a message board, or romantic advice at ALL for that matter, but seriously I'm at my wits end

I'm female and have been exclusively dating an INFP guy for about 6 months. We have a few issues that keep coming up in the relationship that's seriously making me want to push this guy out of a window... a very HIGH window.

Point of Contention# 1: We met 8 months ago and went out on several dates. I tend to juggle a few difft guys until there's 1 I really like and have determined through mutual decision that we want to date exclusively (and there's no sex involved until then :proud:). This isn't something that I hide, I sort of assume any guy I'm seeing is seeing other women until we have "the talk" so I don't see what it should be assumed that as a woman I wouldn't do the same? This was an issue for my bf when he found out (saw me out with another guy) and it's still an issue now because I think it's feeding his jealousy

Point of Contention #2: I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert, so the things that energize me are the things that make him tired and vice versa. I've dated other I's before and I've discovered the best way to deal with it is through compromise: a night where we do what he wants to do, a night where we do what I want to do. He only wants to do what he wants to do which invariably is something like hanging out at each other places, eating dinner and watching a movie. Not that I mind this but what I DO mind is on the days/nights that I need to get my extroversion on I'm either expected to take him along (so he can complain 1 hour into it about how tired he is) or go without him and not stay out past a certain hour:angry: We don't live together but he's kind of jealous and assumes I'm out getting a train run on me on Times Square if I'm out past 2 AM.

Point of Contention #3 : I'm OK looking, I'm an extrovert, I'm a happy person, I'm female and I live in a city with millions of people, so depending on where I am I can get my fair share of male attention. There's no flirting involved (at least not on my end that I'm aware of) but it's always an issue for him because he thinks I am. My first thought is that this is from insecurity on his part but he's also never dated an extrovert and maybe he's just not all that familiar on how we roll?

Anyway, I guess my questions are.. is there a way I can get this guy to chill or should I just save time and send him packing?

is this typical of INFPs ? I have a few INFP female friends and I've never dated them, but I have been privy to some of their semi- neurotic over analysis of their boyfriends and why he didn't call to check in or why did he smile at the waitress..

is he going to become clingier and needier and the relationship goes on? He's already told me that he wants me to smoother him, what more can there be after that besides keeping me chained up in a crawl space and telling me to put the lotion on my skin and then in the basket?
Hmm...well I'd say address his emotions and don't just SAY that you are trust worthy....but tell him with your eyes....with the way you say things. Then he will most likely hug you and shut up. As far as I know...entps are pretty trustworthy once they make a commitment. Just explain to him your stance on things first then tell him he has nothing to worry about ..remember...with your voice....not what you say but HOW you say it is everything to infps.

But then again....if you want my honest opinion...I don't think entp and infp would be a very good match romantically at all. Friends would probably be ideal. Again....when breaking the news.....first really...take into consideration his emotions and pay attention to the way you say things....once you do those two things INFPs become quite easy to work with. We are very flexible as long as you obey those ground rules.

Reactions: MiGoreng

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...well I'd say address his emotions and don't just SAY that you are trust worthy....but tell him with your eyes....with the way you say things. Then he will most likely hug you and shut up. As far as I know...entps are pretty trustworthy once they make a commitment. Just explain to him your stance on things first then tell him he has nothing to worry about ..remember...with your voice....not what you say but HOW you say it is everything to infps.

But then again....if you want my honest opinion...I don't think entp and infp would be a very good match romantically at all. Friends would probably be ideal. Again....when breaking the news.....first really...take into consideration his emotions and pay attention to the way you say things....once you do those two things INFPs become quite easy to work with. We are very flexible as long as you obey those ground rules.
thanks for the reply :laughing:

the thing is, the jealousy thing has come up several over the past 6 months. I think INFPs have a habit of revisiting a topic until they have it cleared up? I don't know but it frustrates me. I sort of feel as if once we've discussed something, there's no need to discuss it AGAIN unless there's new evidence (ie not something like "A-HA! you spoke to that man") to examine.

Granted tonight and I was at my wit's end and replied in a not so nice way by saying his thoughts on the matter were stupid (which of course meant he took it as me saying HE was stupid) . To give some context, we went to a local sports bar and I ran into a (married and uninterested) guy I know from the neighborhood park running club. He was there with his wife and several of his buddies. I introduced my bf to them and made a point to include him in the conversation . Afterwards on the way home we got into an argument about how I was ignoring him and how I was flirting with this guy.. he didn't even notice dude's wife was there! GRRRRRR

i know that in the past he's had issues with unfaithful women and I'm starting to think he's never going to get over this.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
thanks for the reply :laughing:

the thing is, the jealousy thing has come up several over the past 6 months. I think INFPs have a habit of revisiting a topic until they have it cleared up? I don't know but it frustrates me. I sort of feel as if once we've discussed something, there's no need to discuss it AGAIN unless there's new evidence (ie not something like "A-HA! you spoke to that man") to examine.

Granted tonight and I was at my wit's end and replied in a not so nice way by saying his thoughts on the matter were stupid (which of course meant he took it as me saying HE was stupid) . To give some context, we went to a local sports bar and I ran into a (married and uninterested) guy I know from the neighborhood park running club. He was there with his wife and several of his buddies. I introduced my bf to them and made a point to include him in the conversation . Afterwards on the way home we got into an argument about how I was ignoring him and how I was flirting with this guy.. he didn't even notice dude's wife was there! GRRRRRR

i know that in the past he's had issues with unfaithful women and I'm starting to think he's never going to get over this.
Ah sorry. I can see you actually did things to show that you care. Yea...I can see how that would be frustrating for ya. I suppose just explain yourself and how you act in depth to him. He should be able to make the connections for himself. If not I guess you could always go with the whole breaking up thing. About the repetitiveness....let's see. INFPs will get what you say the first time....but they won't settle for it unless they feel as if you really meant it with ...again HOW you said it. But chyea. Good luck :happy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well I will try to give some advice, though every situation and person is different, so I don't know if this will help. My ex girlfriend was ENTP... Anyways, I will draw from some experiences I had in that relationship. The need to be smothered by your significant other, does seem to be true... but the effects die off. For me it leveled out into a normal(?) or at least acceptable level for both of us. It sounds like there is a lack of trust involved with your relationship on his part. This is likely due to the him seeing you with another guy thing. I know I would be a bit huffy over it as well. INFP's, from what I can tell, go for one person at a time, and have the mentality that the one they are seeing is too. I for one am completely oblivious to the dating scene, perhaps he was as well.

When trust is violated early on in a relationship to a larger degree (in his eyes) then it can have a lingering effect. He is probably afraid of losing you, if he loves you. Once a decent amount of trust is formed, and he can let go of whatever is causing him doubts, things should improve across the board. The one night his thing, one night your thing is a good idea though it be nice if you could find something you both love to do as well. The fact that he complains isn't too surprising, but he has to learn to compromise. As for both of your futures, I would say its less about personality type and more about common interests. You may have different views on things, but thats no reason not to enjoy them together. If he does something that is causing you frustration, like be home by X O-clock. Tell him. Say "Your lack of trust in me hurts my feelings" or something like that, but maybe, with a little more thought. Try to communicate using his language, "feelings." If he is like me, he will bite his lip and bend a bit to make you happy.

Over all I would say if you want things to turn out better, see if you can do anything to build up his trust in you. If you want any more advice from me just let me know. I can try to help avoid pitfalls that I experienced if you want.

·
Registered
259 Posts
just turn into a tigress , over smother him , and hope he backs off a lil :3.
i would bloody back off if my gf gives me too much love (thing is, I DONT HAVE ONE T_T)

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
....if my girlfriend became a tigris .....I dunno if I'd back off

Reactions: XXXXDesire

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When trust is violated early on in a relationship to a larger degree (in his eyes) then it can have a lingering effect..
interesting point.. it's very possible that seeing me initially with another guy was never resolved for him and it's still in the back of his mind. hmmmmmm i think i'll tactfully bring it up..

And we have things that we both enjoy doing together, it's just that sometimes i enjoy doing stuff that involves other people. i try to be thoughtful of him because I know it can be draining for him, but sometimes I need to have periods of time where I'm constantly on the go, it feels like getting my batteries recharged.

the other thing is that I feel as if he's not spending time with his friends . i kind of think that he's so focused on me and my time because he's letting his platonic friends fall by the wayside.

just turn into a tigress , over smother him , and hope he backs off a lil :3.
:crazy:

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
interesting point.. it's very possible that seeing me initially with another guy was never resolved for him and it's still in the back of his mind. hmmmmmm i think i'll tactfully bring it up..

And we have things that we both enjoy doing together, it's just that sometimes i enjoy doing stuff that involves other people. i try to be thoughtful of him because I know it can be draining for him, but sometimes I need to have periods of time where I'm constantly on the go, it feels like getting my batteries recharged.

the other thing is that I feel as if he's not spending time with his friends . i kind of think that he's so focused on me and my time because he's letting his platonic friends fall by the wayside.

:crazy:
That's sweet how you do things like that for him. Does he know you do those things? Even if you think he does you should tell him. He'd love to see the ways you care. Not to mention....he'll back off from being so needy and on your butt. If he knows you care...that's all he really needs.

Reactions: Callaendia

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well there's your first mistake. Not everyone indulges in casual dating, they skip straight to exclusive dating. Some people are really all-or-nothing, there is no casual mode for when they're just trying out different options. I understand it isn't really your fault for the way he found out, but think he if applied your reasoning. Because he is all-or-nothing he might assume that everyone else is as well, so in seeing you with someone else he would think you do not value the relationship as much as he does.

I don't think you're in the wrong here. You're making an effort to comprise while he isn't. Have you pointed this out to him?

Here is another mistake (in reasoning, not action). It's no secret that people have different definitions of what flirting is, but it doesn't make him insecure just because his is a little more conservative. There probably isn't much you can do to avoid or amend this issue if he considers your natural actions as flirty. Maybe he is insecure, but again I'm just providing another possible perspective.

I would suggest communicating with him about how you view the relationship, your values in regards to it and what your priorities are. Such a thing earlier on might have avoided the issue in point #1.

A degree of compromise and sacrifice is necessary for any relationship. If he is not going to acknowledge the value of that then you have to ask yourself if he is worth bending over backwards for. Honestly though you're doing all the work then that doesn't sound like a healthy foundation for a relationship.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well good luck with the relationship. Considering the differences in personality, he should feel lucky you're so considerate (based on what was said). I wish I had that kind of luck a few years ago.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Oh dear!

If I were you I’d move on from the INFP guy. He sounds far too clingy, controlling and needy to me, and you probably have more need for space and freedom than I do.

POC#1: You were under no obligation to see him exclusively before you had “the talk”. He should not try to hold you accountable for something you never agreed to. It sounds like he is very insecure, and actually wants a girlfriend who is just like him.

POC#2: It sounds like your man wants to stay shut in all the time. It might be okay if he trusted you when you went out to have fun without him, or if he learned to enjoy himself out with you. But he’s being terribly controlling, and doesn’t trust you. Once again, it sounds like insecurity on his part.

POC #3: Your man doesn’t understand your behaviour from your perspective. The friendly and fun behaviour you exhibit effortlessly would probably take a lot of effort for him, so he sees it as flirting. It sounds like he wants you to be like him.

As a comparison, I’m technically an Introvert but I cannot stand staying home all the time. I need to get out a couple nights a week. My hubby doesn’t need that so much, but he usually comes with me and he usually enjoys himself. He tends to stand back and chat with the people he knows, while I sometimes wander off and talk to other people. He doesn’t mind this at all. I sometimes get flirted with, but it doesn’t bother my husband. He says that he likes to see other people getting to know me, he loves it when other people like me, and he’s proud to be the one that gets to take me home. From my point of view, why wouldn’t I want to go home with him? He’s the one who understands me the most and actually makes me happy so none of the other guys actually stand a chance.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I think the guy is probably going to get worse. Whatever you decide, good luck.

PS - A couple of my friends are INFPs. They are nice people, in a very strong and loving relationship with one another. I like them, but they are completely shut in and to tell you the truth I find them kinda whiney. I empathise with them, but sometimes I just want to tell them to lighten up and have a good laugh about some of the stuff they’re worrying about. They are around my age, but they seem like elderly people to me sometimes. I find it interesting that their personality type is so similar to mine, but the differences between us seem huge. I could never date either of them.

PPS – I haven’t actually read any of the other responses yet. I’m sorry if I’m repeating what’s already been said.

PPPS - Sorry if I'm just butting in here. I know I'm not ENTP or INFP... I'm just opinionated.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Of course. :happy:
I hope I didn't sound too harsh, I was just addressing the needs/concerns that you had.

Hopefully you guys can find a middle ground that works for both of you.

I get the sense that if it just won't work you will know when to leave.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm probably not going to help much, but suffice to say this is not an INFP thing, over all...I'd say it's a jealous, insecure person thing.

INFP is no excuse for this behavior, so maybe it is time to move on. Please let him know why though; maybe it will shake him up and he'll learn and grow from it. That is one INFP thing - we usually want to improve, and that's why we take criticism so seriously.

I do the same as you. I don't have a problem with this, and I don't know what his issue is. As long as there is a clear understanding that we are exclusive, I trust the other person unless they give me good reason not to.

Not an INFP thing. We have a rep for being flexible and going with the flow, to a fault even. I usually end up doing what everyone else wants to do, and my preferences get pushed aside sometimes.

I also enjoy time alone and would like a partner who goes out and leaves me at home sometimes, hahaha. We INFPs can be crappy at taking initiative, so maybe ask him to plan nights OUT of the house and not always leave that to you. We have to be hit over the head with requests sometimes, but gently and non-critically. Simply say, "I love it when you plan a fun night out." Reinforce when he does what you want, basically.

If you're honestly not flirting, then, again, I don't know what his deal is. I'm fine with an extroverted guy who is friendly to a lot of people, and I actually like them to sort of "network" for me. INFPs need to feel special though, so an insecure one may take that need too far.

I don't relate to this. The idea of being smothered makes me panic, but then I have a history of running when things start to get serious....

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I didn't bother reading the extremely long posts that had already been posted here as I'll be going to sleep soon enough, however, I thought I'd share experience with you; My fellow ENTP; that ENTPs and INFPs don't tend to get along most of the times. I've been involved with several INFPs, and I can tell you that only one of them has stuck with me, and me stuck with them, and he's one of my closest male friends.

Most of the time ENTPs & INFPs tend to get off on the wrong side of the road, and thus are on opposite sides of the street. One is cold, cunning, & imaginative. The other is emotional, subjective idealistic, and imaginative, and unluckily, imaginative isn't enough to keep us together.

I understand, via that experience I was telling you about, that most of the time the INFP cannot deal with the fact that we seem to dislike most things that we don't find interesting; An example of this is feelings... and patience.... Plus, the fact that we're overly argumentative, and oddly enough controlling for a P type makes us seem almost unbearable to them. While to us their feelings for everything and their personal (and subjective) idealism drives us coco. We very rarely see eye to eye.

Not to paint either type in a negative light but ENTPs are Assholes and INFPs are cry babies. Did I mention they hate our straight forwardness and we hate that they try to step around things they believe will hurt us?

However, if you do manage to get a working relationship with an INFP, like I have with my friend, you'll know that INFPs are very good to keep us grounded & a bit more compassionate. And that ENTPs can be the protectors of the INFPs emotions.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I didn't bother reading the extremely long posts that had already been posted here as I'll be going to sleep soon enough, however, I thought I'd share experience with you; My fellow ENTP; that ENTPs and INFPs don't tend to get along most of the times. I've been involved with several INFPs, and I can tell you that only one of them has stuck with me, and me stuck with them, and he's one of my closest male friends.

Most of the time ENTPs & INFPs tend to get off on the wrong side of the road, and thus are on opposite sides of the street. One is cold, cunning, & imaginative. The other is emotional, subjective idealistic, and imaginative, and unluckily, imaginative isn't enough to keep us together.

I understand, via that experience I was telling you about, that most of the time the INFP cannot deal with the fact that we seem to dislike most things that we don't find interesting; An example of this is feelings... and patience.... Plus, the fact that we're overly argumentative, and oddly enough controlling for a P type makes us seem almost unbearable to them. While to us their feelings for everything and their personal (and subjective) idealism drives us coco. We very rarely see eye to eye.

Not to paint either type in a negative light but ENTPs are Assholes and INFPs are cry babies. Did I mention they hate our straight forwardness and we hate that they try to step around things they believe will hurt us?

However, if you do manage to get a working relationship with an INFP, like I have with my friend, you'll know that INFPs are very good to keep us grounded & a bit more compassionate. And that ENTPs can be the protectors of the INFPs emotions.

I agree with Evolyptic actually. The infp/entp relationship is great for friends. I see entps as ....two notes on a keyboard that are just a half step away from each other. We are just close enough....and just far away enough....that we have a dissonance.

That being said, I think I have MUCH to learn from entps and vice versa. If we are friends then we can reinforce each others weaknesses. I will admit that the infp's use Ne and Ti much less than they should.....in fact I think that is what they need to balance out a lot of their emotions.

Likewise I think ENTPs would benefit from the subjective feelings that the infps have to offer.

But but but....were great friends with benifits ;D

Reactions: Kasitera

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Thank you, Thehigher.

Now for a brief moment of cockiness:

"That was so good I should thank myself"

Brought to you by Monster Energy Drinks: Cause who needs coffee & Fox News: Subjective Idoicy at 10.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

LOL. Excellent breakdown ..

This is my first time in a romantic relationship with an INFP but I have a few platonic INFP friends ...

I wonder if gender would also be an issue, especially since most people expect people to act certain ways according to their gender. As much as I hate to admit it, I do find myself thinking in my head that sometimes my BF needs to man up, but I suppose he's probably telling himself that I need to stop being so butch :laughing:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have some general advice regarding ENTP/INFP relationships:
I've had a lot of ENTPs fall for me over the years more than anyother type. And the same thing always happens every time. First of all I like ENTPs alot, I think they're smart and funny and they think I'm smart and sweet, and we always make great friends. But the thing is, as soon as they start realising they like me, they start backing up, talking less in the conversation and get this sort of glased look in their eye as if they're happy just to watch me, which is awfully sweet and all but it puts a lot of pressure on me, because first of all it's so obvious and usually I haven't reciprecated the feelings yet at that point in the relationship and alsoI feel like I'm preforming. It's almost like they get lazy, stop taking their due part in the conversation to just focus on me, which is really sweet that they feel that way but it's kind of hard to fall for a person if they spending so much time oggling at you. I do not fuction well under pressure. Not. At. All. And on top of that I have issues with being hurt. so what I used to do in these situations when I began to feel the pressure of them likeing me is freak out and get scared which made them even more interested most of them. And so then to try and shake them off I would act mean to them which just made them sad and hurt and I hated doing, I feel so fucking guilty. But still even with that some of them would like me still so, what I finally came to is to act deathly boring which is probably the worst thing I could do. It's just like One moment hey I really like this girl, a few painful hours pass, wow I was completely wrong about you and now my view othe world has a nasty tint.
So, now unfortunately it's become like a default response. The second I notice an ENTP guy payining me the slightest bit of attention, I begin pushing them away. I hate it.
So, I was just sharing this because I was thinking of possible soultions to this problem becuase I like ENTPs I really do, I was hoping that you might take the advice that if you ever start falling for a girl who happens to be an INFP, don't sit back to admire her until she's not there. Don't come on too strong or anything, INFPs can be shy about their feelings. Just try and keep your cool and try and maintain a freindship light atmosphere for as long as possible. ENTPs and INFPs make great friends I know that much and just try to keep up the freindly atmosphere for the time being. INFPs are sure to fall for someone who cares about them, and can get very strongly attached to people, it just takes time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts