Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom recently told me that I am the smartest person she knows. I responded by telling her that if she thinks that then she doesn't know that many people. But of course I let it get to my head. What are your IQ scores? I've never take a formal test, but the supposedly credible online one gave me a score of 135, which means I'd be in the top percentile. I also smoked a lot of weed at the time that I took the test two years ago. Now I don't blaze anymore, so my score will probably be higher. But all NTs are smart.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
IQ tests are more flawed the MBTI tests, so dont get too worked up... I employed a couple of Mensa morons some years ago. Completely useless... Mathemathical Intelligence is not particularly useful unless you work in a narrow field...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah - it depends what you mean by "intelligent". Here I go again.:crazy: Mine is somewhere around 120-130, can't remember, but some things I don't see until they bite me on the bum.

Reactions: imaPanda

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah - it depends what you mean by "intelligent". Here I go again.:crazy: Mine is somewhere around 120-130, can't remember, but some things I don't see until they bite me on the bum.
I know something that makes you feel intelligent in that case. There's a physicist who help invented the atomic bomb and his IQ is 126.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is there anything more ridicilous than "Estimated IQ"?... Used for dead geniuses and small gifted children (many Aspergers Id say).

The worlds smartest person was a kid with estimated IQ of 350 or something. If I remember correctly... What IS that?

·
Registered
413 Posts
As honestfi mentioned, it mostly depends on what you mean by intelligence. I haven't tried my IQ, but as it mostly just tests your logical/systematical/mathematical thinking, I probably won't get a particularly high score. On the other hand, I find it easy to learn anything as long as I'm interested in it. Stuff like maths, for instance, is forcedly shoved into my brain and forgotten over a measly summer break, just 'cause I don't like it enough for it to stick.

But I almost remember everything I had for my History test about the French revolution (including date and time, everything) four years ago, for example. And languages are easy too, as long as I find them interesting. Chemistry and biology is fascinating, so I find it easy to learn. My skills for analyzing different situations and people are also pretty high. But ask me about physics, and I'll give you a blank stare :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
IQ is a poor measure, and does it really matter, if you are doing what you want to do?

I have done online tests and score very high,-hey! I have a good vocabulary and can understand number sequences!- but I can be extremely stupid in some ways.:happy:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Even though I got 152-155 (I forgot the exact number) on a high school administered IQ test, I don't think I'm any more intelligent than the average Joe. (If I was truly smart, I'd have realized that the high school was trying to screen me for learning disabilities and hence purposely score low so I could get all kinds of aid, help and extra test time and ACE all my classes...mwahahahaha! But no. My ego won out. :tongue: )

EDIT: Even though I took the IQ test honestly after all, it still didn't root out my main problem - my horrid memory and ADHD. Had the test lasted a little longer, my lack of focus would have manifested in a lower IQ score, but it's not as if the psychologists would be able to see that focus issues were the culprit, unless they noticed a downward-scoring trend toward the end of the test. /babble

So I'm good with words, puzzles, logic and patterns. *shrug* So what? There are more important determinants of success (such as social finesse, factual knowledge, manual skills, FOCUS and memory retention). And I'm not just saying that to make the low-IQ-dubbed feel better. It's the truth either way. I'm not even that great of a student in university - to my accounting professors, I'm probably borderline retarded. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think if you need to base your self-esteem on the outcome of a test score, then there are probably other issues you need to address. I'm not pointing this comment at anyone, it's just my view on all these scores. I mean, OK, exam scores are needed to see how well qualified you are to do something, but an IQ test? As far as I can see its only benefit is to see if you want to join MENSA, and I'm with Groucho Marx regarding things like that. I'd never want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member......

·
Registered
145 Posts
My mom recently told me that I am the smartest person she knows. I responded by telling her that if she thinks that then she doesn't know that many people. But of course I let it get to my head. What are your IQ scores? I've never take a formal test, but the supposedly credible online one gave me a score of 135, which means I'd be in the top percentile. I also smoked a lot of weed at the time that I took the test two years ago. Now I don't blaze anymore, so my score will probably be higher. But all NTs are smart.
You are obviously smart and funny (have we received our daily joke today?), but you should be nice to your mom!

BTW, intelligence is relative....I'm the dumbest, former stoner I know that makes over $100K/year and....there it goes again...it was going to be profound and earth-shattering but now it's gone. I'll let you know if I remember it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/30316-intp-giftedness.html#post653330

* Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).
* Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is 8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person (one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).
* Moreover, if you encounter an INTJ (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging), there is a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent of the population. The probability is 20% for an INTP, 15% for an INFJ, and 8% for an INFP. These four types account for 66% of the high-IQ population but only 6% of the total population.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Eschewing IQ is nice and all, but do you still look down on those you perceive to be dumber than you?
^ Sometimes that can't be helped. But then I determine "dumb" based on actions, not IQ scores.

·
Registered
691 Posts
*Catches breath*

Aahhhhh...my abs hurt now.

These are my favorite type of threads, where everyone piles out of the retard bus with an IQ produced from an online test accessed through their friend's Facebook page. "I scored 10 billion, I'm the smartiest man on Earth" say people who I've observed for months to be mindless slobbering empty-headed cretins without anything approaching a single redeeming intellectual contribution to their credit. It's the ugliest vanity and anyone that listed a number in this thread officially has my most heartfelt contempt. Furthermore, the numbers are meaningless because:

1. The tests are all different and there's no standardization or means of normalizing scores.
2. Most people lie.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think that we're very intelligent as long as we don't get too ahead of ourselves. I think as far as intelligence it depends on their self awareness and how they develop their cognitive functions more than personality type alone. But those born ENTP probably have it alot easier in comparison to some types when it comes to understanding things that interest us and figuring out creative ways to apply our knowledge.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I may be wrong about all of this, I'm certainly no expert...but I don't get the impression that NT's are necessarily more intelligent than any other type in terms of intellectual ability. I think what it is is that from an early age NT's thrive and thirst upon learning and gathering information. NT's find thinking and learning more fun, satisfying, and enjoyable than the other temperaments. They live for it, it's truly their driving reason to live. So after years and years of this, they just know so much more than the other temperaments do because they make the most of the intellectual ability they have.

I mean, not that schooling is equated with intelligence or intellectual ability, but I was valedictorian of my high school (typical SJ :p ). Even though that of course was a large result of my commitment, memorization skills, ability to follow directions and willingness to do what I was supposed to do, I would imagine that I probably had more natural intellectual ability than at least some NT's at my school. But, they probably did much more with what abilities that they had than I did with mine.

(I'm trying to stay away from all of the different definitions of "intelligence" because I know that in itself is an extremely complex topic that's been discussed before and that it muddles the entire discussion...I'm just trying to refer to it in the general sense for the sake of my opinion.)

And I think ENTP's maybe are more like that than the other NT's in the aspect that they're constantly driven to improve themselves mentally in every way possible. They never seem to be satisfied with their current state, they always want to make themselves better, modifying their ways of thinking any time they come across something that shows them how to improve. INTP's seem to be like this a lot too, but I don't know....I guess I just get the impression that ENTP's are more forceful about it.

I get the impression that INTJ's store the information better than NTP's.

Of course, this is all just my humble opinion based on my own experience...I certainly don't know any of the NT types as well as they know themselves, I'm just taking a stab at it.

EDIT: Just saw this quotation after I typed and posted:

Ray Mabry said:
But those born ENTP probably have it alot easier in comparison to some types when it comes to understanding things that interest us and figuring out creative ways to apply our knowledge.
That kind of sums up what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright, so ive noticed the people who are mature, and also score high on IQ tests seem to find out as soon as they are done, it was a load of BS and the only thing to use that number for now is to brag. 'nuff said

As for being valedictorian or do very well in high school, That just shows how well you can manage your homework and keep up with school work. . . I find great GPAs in high school just some more BS that happens to be a number you can use to put yourself over others.

Only taken the ACT once, scored a 24 without studing but havent gotten a grip on how I view this test yet. Probably going to be the same, it seems that colleges seem to find people who can motivate themselves enough to make these numbers as high as possible to see who can be the most motivated and do the best at their tests. . . aaaand there goes my Ne again. . . goodbye for now. :laughing:

Reactions: Eliyahu and trice

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know something that makes you feel intelligent in that case. There's a physicist who help invented the atomic bomb and his IQ is 126.
Richard Feynman

Also, I hate how every time anyone brings up IQ people start talking about how useless it is. He asked for your IQs, not whether or not you think the IQ test is a valid measure of intelligence.

This thread is not about the validity of IQ tests (there are thousands of variations), STOP DERAILING IT.!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts