Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Who knows about this particular one? But it could work.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No.
Maybe...
No.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe it can only work with a mature ENTP and mature ISTJ. The ENTP would have to be open to listening to the ISTJ's criticism. Which I feel only comes out naturally (by that I mean without intentional provocation on the ENTP's part) when we ENTPs irritate the ISTJ's last nerve and don't realize that boundaries have been crossed. The ENTP has to control the impulse to just laugh the ISTJ's outburst off or immediately rebut. There is much an ENTP can learn from an ISTJ and vice versa. It's just that both parties have to respect their different motivations and logic for even having a relationship to begin with whether it is a romantic, work, familial or friend relationship. The Te I feel has to be the common ground they relate on and communicate through. But how they arrive there are from very different directions. A relationship between an ENTP and ISTJ can be quite fun and close once barriers (aka egos) are overcome and understandings (aka connections) are made. I have a very close friend that I admire and adore who is an ISTJ. I rely on his integrity and honesty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No. Fundamentally, ENTPs want to freely explore and dive into different things, while the ISTJs abide by the system of views they formulate in their head- this can be a big source of tension between the two types. Though "understanding" can help and go a long way, it can be draining for both parties.

·
Registered
387 Posts
No. Fundamentally, ENTPs want to freely explore and dive into different things, while the ISTJs abide by the system of views they formulate in their head- this can big source of tension between the two types. Though "understanding" can help and go a long way, it can be draining for both.

I was wondering if you are only referring to a romantic relationship as not a possibility? I completely agree about the draining! Especially I feel on the ISTJs part as ENTPs can appear extremely irrational to an ISTJ.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I was wondering if you are only referring to a romantic relationship as not a possibility? I completely agree about the draining! Especially I feel on the ISTJs part as ENTPs can appear extremely irrational to an ISTJ.
FWIW, *I* actually enjoy the company of mature ENTPs--they are so random in their thought processes that I have to struggle a bit to always see where they are coming from. But you are right...after a few hours, I need a break. IRL, they are a lot of fun, though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It applies to any type of close psychological interaction for a period of time. It will probably be more obvious/pronounced in romantic interactions, but it can also be seen when they are working together on something.

We often can't see points of tension between each other at a superficial level, its only when we closely interact for a period of time we see the cracks in the facade.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do you think the tension stems primarily from the Te function which I think perhaps is more natural to the ENTP than to the ISTJ? Or do you think it is just a fundamental makeup of the personality types that creates the tension, such as the ISTJ's rigidity or the ENTP's random external thought process?

I do think that a relationship between an ISTJ and ENTP of any nature is possible. It depends on the people not just the personality.

ENTP external thought alert! The following information is not based in facts and is metaphysical in nature: I believe that people come into one's life for a reason, even if it's a short burn or for the long haul. I feel there is something to be learned from the people I encounter and that they may need something from me. My ISTJ friend that I mentioned in a previous post, is a pillar of internal strength. I sometimes wish that I had his thought structure, it is so clean and pure to my chaotic mind melt. He is also going through a difficult time now in that he doesn't feel as secure in his career and home life as he would like to. I think that I provide some perspective to him in the nature of being in a transitional stage in life. In the end who really knows if we will remain close friends. But for now he will be someone I think of to turn to when I need advise on the real things in life like dealing with finances, food and shelter.

Random Connection Alert! I can easily see how a woman (ENTP or other) could fall in love with a man who is good at dealing with the real things in life.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i think its great that your going to PerC for relationship advice...doesnt this seem a tad bit neurotic. just give it a shot

Reactions: Vitamin

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Do you think the tension stems primarily from the Te function which I tnink perhaps is more natural to the ENTP than to the ISTJ? Or do you think it is just a fundamental makeup of the personality types that creates the tension, such as the ISTJ's rigidity or the ENTP's random external thought process?

I do think that a relationship between an ISTJ and ENTP of any nature is possible. It depends on the people not just the personality.

No. Te is an ISTJs auxiliary function and is a shadow function for the ENTP.

Reactions: Dizzle

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My oldest friend is ISTJ. His lack of Fe has REALLY hurt me. And many people think him wise (he is not unintelligent, but nowhere close when it comes to thinking of the big things - matter of outlook of course) because of the ISTJ way of holding a "speech" when in conversation. Thus my footer..:)

I actually dragged him out of his custom-zone ( to be a consultant), and have always been there for him. But he also stated that "we would never be able to be business partners since we are so different". I told him that is what would make it a good match. That is an example of the stuff that would really make relations difficult!

·
Registered
421 Posts
According to Relations of Supervision between psychological ("personality") types

An ENTP and ISTJ relationship falls under "Relations of Supervision" where the ISTj is the 'Supervisee' and the ENTp is 'Supervisor'.

I don't really know anything about these different "relations" nor the similarities/differences between Socionics and MBTI but I thought you might find it interesting to read.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm jumping in here because for what it's worth, I am an ISTJ (female) and am happily married to an ENTP.

A lot more goes into relationship compatibility than MBTI type, and I find what makes us solid is that our core values are similar and so we are basically heading in the same direction in life, despite the more superficial personality differences. I find these differences, when paired together in partnership, make for good teamwork. E.g. I am helpful and calming when it comes to practical issues that stress him out and his optimism and big-picture thinking help me from getting stuck in a rut.

ISTJs tend to be very independent, so I can stand up to him if he gets overbearing, and ISTJs are not so emotionally needy and so can give ENTPs their necessary space and provide a challenge, which is important to win the respect of ENTPs and keep them from being bored. So yes, the ENTP-ISTJ pairing can work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe it can only work with a mature ENTP and mature ISTJ. The ENTP would have to be open to listening to the ISTJ's criticism. Which I feel only comes out naturally (by that I mean without intentional provocation on the ENTP's part) when we ENTPs irritate the ISTJ's last nerve and don't realize that boundaries have been crossed. The ENTP has to control the impulse to just laugh the ISTJ's outburst off or immediately rebut. There is much an ENTP can learn from an ISTJ and vice versa. It's just that both parties have to respect their different motivations and logic for even having a relationship to begin with whether it is a romantic, work, familial or friend relationship. The Te I feel has to be the common ground they relate on and communicate through. But how they arrive there are from very different directions. A relationship between an ENTP and ISTJ can be quite fun and close once barriers (aka egos) are overcome and understandings (aka connections) are made. I have a very close friend that I admire and adore who is an ISTJ. I rely on his integrity and honesty.
Yeah; in fact, any two well-developed personalities could get along if that's what they really want. Obviously if an ISTJ doesn't really want to get along with an ENTP (or vice versa), then it's not gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No. ENTPs are freewheeling and open, and ISTJs like to stick to what they know. Dominant Ne and dominant Si do not get along.

Reactions: nuut and niss
1 - 20 of 47 Posts