Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your ENTP experiences of lying? I know that we proportionally are more dishonest than other types, whether you agree with the behaviour or not. So I'm interested on why you lie, how you do it so well, and when do you do it (any restrictions?)

For me it's like acting. I think I've read that ENTP's make good actors. But my mental strategy is literally like that - I just assume the mentality of a person who is being truthful. So e.g., let's say I took something of someone's. When confronted, I just set my mind in a state as if I actually hadn't done it. Because I know how I'd be feeling if I hadn't done it, so I just use that state of mind. This way I can totally convincingly keep lies going for as long as I want, without ever having to think about it.

And the notion that lying is bad doesn't rationally make sense to me. I mean yeah, of course if you're lied to and you find out, you'll be pissed, and pissed at yourself for not realizing the truth. But that's kind of on you. And it isn't really very harmful anyways. Situations where your words will make a real difference - like something I could actually care about - are rare. So at the end of the day I think I think of things on a waaaaayy bigger scale than others can relate to.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Now all I'm thinking about is whether my entp boyfriend has ever cheated on me....

i know he'd be able to keep it the best secret.

maybe i shouldn't have read this thread, silly ideas....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Because I don't really have a lot of emotions, I'm pretty much always "acting," as you say; I often don't know the difference between what I actually feel and what I'm just making up to fill the emotional void. Sometimes, everyday lying happens similarly: I can't explain something, so my mind creates its own rationalized explanation for it. Sometimes my explanations are not so true, but I don't really lie purposefully. It just happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to lie quite a bit, and I know I am rather good at it. The way I lie is also pretty much 'acting' and in fact I keep a few reoccurring characters if I need a lie to be presented with a certain personality. I don't lie much anymore though, because I'm don't like taking responsibility for other peoples idiocy. If I misinform someone, even with just a little white lie, any decision they make using that misinformation will be partially because of me. If they have the truth as far as I know it, any stupidity on their part is theirs alone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Because I don't really have a lot of emotions, I'm pretty much always "acting," as you say; I often don't know the difference between what I actually feel and what I'm just making up to fill the emotional void. Sometimes, everyday lying happens similarly: I can't explain something, so my mind creates its own rationalized explanation for it. Sometimes my explanations are not so true, but I don't really lie purposefully. It just happens.
Wow... tell me, do you all play soccer and love reading too? (just checking to make sure you're not all versions of me running around)

That and just about everything said. If I'm lying I just alter my belief of what is reality. I don't really make a conscience thought about what i'm doing, it just... happens. It's like reality really ceases to exist and becomes what i want it to...if that makes much sense. Though I don't consciously lie much... I don't think.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow... tell me, do you all play soccer and love reading too? (just checking to make sure you're not all versions of me running around)

That and just about everything said. If I'm lying I just alter my belief of what is reality. I don't really make a conscience thought about what i'm doing, it just... happens. It's like reality really ceases to exist and becomes what i want it to...if that makes much sense. Though I don't consciously lie much... I don't think.

Well, I used to play soccer...:happy: It's good to know, at least, that I'm not the only one for whom lying is such a confusing and yet constant thing...

·
Banned
1,010 Posts
It's like reality really ceases to exist and becomes what i want it to...if that makes much sense. Though I don't consciously lie much... I don't think.
as adam savage from mythbusters (awesome ENTP) once said:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't really lie anymore as it always got to complicated dealing with people after. Now I just twist the truth its easier. Half truths. I never change the actual info just let them perceive it in the wrong way. Its more elegent.

If I need to outright lie though I will. And i'll be careful with it but I hate it because I know its not true at all. and I need thngs to be true and right for stuff to make sense. Thats why my lies are always good ones cause I make them realistic to satisfy myself as much as to make it a good lie.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I suppose it is like acting, and throughout my life I've made a game out of it. I poured ketchup on myself, once, when I was a kid, and came stumbling into my mom's room, and faked passing out on the floor. I thought it was fun and funny, she didn't. Another time, I had her convinced, that I was dealing drugs in high school. Recently, I was with a friend, and we got stopped by a cop. He took both of our licenses, and I started acting really nervous and scared, and I was able to completely convince her, that I had outstanding warrants for my arrest. Again, I always find it funny. She didn't, she punched me. lol People have no sense of humor. These are extreme examples, but I don't have a problem with lying, in general, and I don't understand, why other people claim to. It gets you what you want, it usually doesn't hurt anyone, and no one wants to hear the truth half as much as they claim to. I should know, every time I'm open and honest with someone, they just get pissed off at me or get their feelings hurt. When I lie, they rarely ever notice or find me out, and everything is fine.

·
Banned
1,010 Posts
This thread reminds me..during my recent move, my mom was scared to death that her priceless china cabinet would be shattered. So being the excellent actor i am, when it was time to put the cabinet into the moving truck, i followed the movers outside and watched them as they carefully put the china cabinet onto the moving truck without so much as a slight fumble. Then i remembered that there was a broken picture frame in the garbage, so i took a piece of the glass and walked back into the house. I got into character as quick as i could, and i held the glass in my hand and approached my mom slowly, with my other hand covering my mouth. She could already tell that something was amiss, so she said "whats wrong?" and instead of saying a word, i hand her the piece of broken glass, and just shook my head. This caused her to run out to the moving truck, in tears and she began to scream at the movers, and i just walked behind her and handed her a piece of paper that said "you're so funny when you're upset."

She still hasnt forgiven me. =D =P

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ha...that's mean... (well done though)
I love playing pranks with my...abilities, I've convinced people of so many things. You just slip outrageous things into conversation and they'll fall for most anything. And you don't even have to employ words, simply an attitude change can make someone think something is off. One time my friend left computer science class to go to the bathroom. When she got back I thought I'd have a little fun, and kept glancing at her stuff and smirking, fidgeting, etc. She started freaking out and asking what I had done to her computer, then what I had done to her stuff. I told her the truth, that I didn't do anything... I guess me not being able to say that with a straight face didn't help convince her... She was convinced the whole rest of the week that I'd stolen something from her or put something weird on her computer.

·
Banned
1,010 Posts
Ha...that's mean... (well done though)
I love playing pranks with my...abilities, I've convinced people of so many things. You just slip outrageous things into conversation and they'll fall for most anything. And you don't even have to employ words, simply an attitude change can make someone think something is off. One time my friend left computer science class to go to the bathroom. When she got back I thought I'd have a little fun, and kept glancing at her stuff and smirking, fidgeting, etc. She started freaking out and asking what I had done to her computer, then what I had done to her stuff. I told her the truth, that I didn't do anything... I guess me not being able to say that with a straight face didn't help convince her... She was convinced the whole rest of the week that I'd stolen something from her or put something weird on her computer.
i am guilty of doing this quite a bit, and since its been ongoing for so long, everyone thinks my lies are the truth and when i tell the truth im lying, so im pretty much able to just lie about anything and everything and get away with it. I never feel guilty about lying....come to think about it, i dont really feel guilty for anything bad that i do. I have rational reasons for doing things, so if i do a bad thing, its rationally correct to me, so i dont feel guilty.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When a given person catches you lying...

...how can that person trust anything you say ever again ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I never lie about anything of importance, only when I'm joking around, and I make sure to tell them that I was lying. If I do lie, then it's because the individual was asking a question that was none of their business and was being insistent. Or to get out of something like maybe a party that I didn't really want to go to in the first place. I do such things to avoid hurting feelings.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
When a given person catches you lying...

...how can that person trust anything you say ever again ?
Personally, I can never seem to grasp the fact, that I'm the only one that seems to care about intent. My intent is NEVER malicious, with the exception of when I'm angry. I'm always just playing. I just happen to play in ways, that other people don't tend to be fond of. Plus, as twisted as this may sound to you or any other non-ENTP, I actually kind of like it when people are a little leery of me. I like to feel clever, sneaky, sly, devious, whatever you want to call it. Besides, I don't lie about anything big or of great importance. I can't win, though. As I said, when I'm open and honest as can be, I just seem to hurt feelings or make people angry. Apparently, no one takes my blunt honesty as the sign of deep respect I mean it as, either. I seem to have a hate me or love me, but still kinda hate me personality. lol

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Integrity seems to me, to be something apart from mbti type. Any type can have enough integrity to not be a liar - or not.

I would lie to da five-0.. or uhm.. to another authority figure (non-personal relationship) to keep my ass out of trouble, but lying in a personal relationship just damages it. If you respect it and want to preserve it, why would you damage it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Like the rest here, I too get into character and act it easily.
I usually lack emotional response to a situation (i.e. a someone close to me gets dumped, fired, sick...). I mean, I'll think "Gee, bummer", but I won't actually feel anything. So, I have to act out emotional response not to appear a complete monster. I hate faking it, but I've discovered the hard way that you sometimes have no choice.:dry:

As for lying for fun... I love doing that!:tongue:
One time I was meeting a group of girl friends and I must've been a bit spaced out because when I aproached them they asked me why I was sad. I wasn't in the slightest. I tried to tell them, but they didn't believe me, so I (I have no idea why, probably just to see if I could) made up a story about I just found out that my "best childhood friend" had gotten into a car accident and lost her legs. (Lol, I'm really sick.:confused:) I started crying and sobbing and they all geathered around me and started comforting me... Later I couldn't fess up because they would, obviously, think I'm sick and mad, so we spent the whole meeting with me telling them stories from "my" childhood (all while still sobbing)...:crazy:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts