Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think ESTPs males often mistype themselves as ENTPs. In this case, they think being restless and a jerk makes you an ENTP. They usually are not looking at whether they like or get into the theoretical but are looking at the stereotypes. You can usually tell them on here. They tend to egg people on but not in that sly ENTP way but that stereotypical 1980s teen movie bully way. I think some ESTP females also have thought of themselves as ENTP but because the ESTP is so written for males (even more than the ENTP description) that they assumed they were ENTP.

I think there have been a few ENFP males on here too. The Fi sensitivity was high in them. I think because they were guys, they don't want to think of themselves as Feelers but they were so defensive, it screamed ENFP. I think it just made them feel better to think of themselves as ENTP because that is more "manly".

I also think there have been a few ENTJs that have mistyped themselves. With them, they had that xNTJ "I know more about a subject than you and I am going to talk over your head and treat you like an idiot when you don't understand" thing. (BTW, I like xNTJs a lot but I also grew up with an INTJ dad and although he was not a jerk, he was haughty).

I think more than anything, other people are bad at typing ENTPs. It amazes me how many people of other types on here (or other ENTPs) seem to know a ton of ENTPs IRL. The statistics just do not add up. Even though most people will meet over 500 people in their life, in reality, most only get to know 20-50 people enough to even properly guess at their MBTI. They are guessing MBTI of people they only interact with in an English class or they meet online or at a bar. I can guarantee that most people would not guess my MBTI properly if they met me in a bar. Depending on who I am with or what kind of place I am at, I can "act" very different. At a bar out with friends dancing, I will probably look like an ESFJ. At a family party, I might be much quieter than I normally am so I look INTP. The only place I think you will see the ENTP more clearly is with a small group of interesting people in a setting conducive to talking, especially if there is another person with Ne around me. Actually, in English class, I might have been more obvious based on my willingness to answer questions I was not 100% sure of the answer and my ability to break down literary works theoretically.

Anyway, guessing MBTI on their "act" is following stereotypes not how their brain processes things. Honestly, you have to get to know someone in a variety of settings before you can get a really good read on them. I think there are many other types, especially IxFxs, that confuse ESTPs for ENTPs because they are not as familiar with how a leading extroverted functions with Ti behind it processes things. Considering there are almost double the amount of ESTPs in the world than ENTP, the person is more likely to be an ESTP.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Which personality type people mistype ENTP? How often? Why do you think?
Probably as an ENTJ, based on Jung himself saying that ENT seems very similar at first.

My own opinion, if they are sensitive, then I have to wonder, or political correct speaking then I really have to wonder because they are realists and NT types according to Keirsey are realists, even though Keirsey invented his own Keirsey system with inspiration from Hippocrates' temperaments... while using the MBTI functions word for word.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I think it's easy to mistype any type as any type that is one letter different from what they actually are.. so INTPs, ESTPs, ENFPs, and ENTJs all can easily get mistyped as entps and entps easily mistype as those types. ...same thing for other types.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
N T & P are reasonable choices to make as a human being, they embody intellectual virtues everyone pretends to have, control over ones emotions, adaptability and originality/intelligence. So a whole bunch of people are subject to mistype as ENTP. And the E/I axis is so skewed there's a 50/50 chance most people are wrong. Last but not least, the Beebe's bullshit functions made it so that people with high SI/FE believe they have some NE/TI in their blood. soooo... yeah.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Honestly i usually get entp on test results.

ILe on socionics

But i don't think I'm really that entp

Damn i will post my results here but i backed up my photos and i can no longer see it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
ENTP/ESTP All: 2–5% / 4–5% Female: 2–4 % / 2–4% Male: 3–7% / 5–6%

https://www.capt.org/products/examples/20025HO.pdf
I have never seen statistics like that. Every single site except the one you show has ESTPs higher than ENTPs.

One site has: ESTP: 10% of population with ENTPs 4.4%
https://mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/

Another has them closer: Total 4.3% ESTP and 3.2% ENTP
https://www.careerplanner.com/MB2/TypeInPopulation.cfm

Another (which is a little closer): 4-5% ESTP and 2-5% ENTP
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-...ti-results/how-frequent-is-my-type.htm?bhcp=1

Or this one (which discusses the American population) that only mentions ESTPs at 13% (the article mentions how NTs and NFs are only about a 1/4 of the population:
The most Common Personalities in America

Living here, I definitely think that Sensors are the most prevalent.

·
Registered
636 Posts
How do they decide how many are in any given population? Are we sure that the statictics they are getting are accurate? How do we know that sensors arent more likely to take the test but its more even throughout the population? If they are more common then why? Are they at an evolutionary advantage? Is it conditioning? Is personality genetic? If it isnt then wouldn't personalities be more assigned at random? Theres enough humans on this planet id image that itd even out if done at random but im no statitics guru so Im not sure. Or does it boil down to good old socailization, but that makes it more...flexible? Anywho Im not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just curious how this works.

Anyways I predominantly test as entp, I've gotten some results for ENFP and intp and the occassional entx. Im borderline on almost everything but INTUITION. The skies the limit I guess. Some of it is me adapting to the group of people I'm hanging around all the time tho. If I'm with feelers I get more feely. If I'm surrounded by percievers...I end up planning group activities. Im horrible at it and end up improvising all the time. Last time we went out we ended up in the completely wrong location. Lol. My bad. But we had fun anyways. I guess if I lived in the middle of no where for a while without other people effecting how I think then maybe I'd get down to the bottom of it...or just go insane.

Anyways some people change depending on who they are around or where they are at, so its hard to tell most of the time. I worked with someone and he was an ENFP. I didnt believe him at first though because at work he definitely acted like an ESTJ. But to be fair he did a lot of acting growing up and in college so he might be extra hard to read. I see it now that we are friends outside of work tho.

Anyways the group at work I was around was mostly intuitive. I thought someone had to be mistyped. N should of been outnumbered. But we were outnumbered....there was over 600 people at that place and it was common for people to trade offices. So some of the intuitives found each other and hung out and sat by each other. So maybe these people are intuitive since birds of the same feather flock together? Or maybe interested in similar activities?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts