Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I learn about my textbook type, I realize that I'm probably in the wrong field. I'll give you the quick run down on my life.

I went to music school for jazz guitar performance out of HS. I graduated at the top of my class and received a scholarship for an advance performance certificate.

I did commission retail sales for a few years and led my category for the entire company of over 350 stores. I was promoted to management at 22 years old. I hated the grind of retail and wanted to go back to school to get a "real job."

I joined the Air Force because I had no money to pay for school without working. I was enlisted for 5 years. I was a Chinese Linguist. I didn't know a single word of Chinese before joining the Air Force. I scored super well on a language aptitude battery and they put me in one of the hardest languages. I went from no knowledge to 1 of 2 fluent level speakers in my class of 30 in just 63 weeks of near immersion training. I was a earmarked a top performer at Basic Training and every time the opportunity arose for a rating.

I finished college with my BS in Occupational Education with a specialization in Chinese Mandarin and Computer Communications. Then I applied and was accepted to become an Officer in the Air Force. I was forced to go back to another Basic Training like environment at Officer Training School. I was an Intelligence Officer for 6 years and left Active Duty at the rank of Captain (0-3E). I attended many exclusive schools and worked in Intelligence positions as well as systems acquisitions. I also led teams during two different deployments in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I completed my MBA while stationed in Los Angeles in 2004. I was late to start traditional education but I had caught up by this point finishing at 29. I was in charge of leading as many as 350 Airmen, Soldiers, and Marines in this time. In 2004, I won the "General John S. Patton Award" for the top Intelligence Officer in the AF Space Command. I then competed with 11 others for the Air Force level award. I didn't win there though...

Since leaving the Air Force I have worked for myself doing business consulting with a tech flavor. I have a small staff and have had staffs as big as 7 since I started this. I had no experience in this so I've learned tons on the journey. I've learned a lot about myself in particular. There are some parts of doing this that I absolutely hate (ie accounting, payroll, things of the like), yet I love the computer programming and problem solving sides of it. In just over 6 years I have generated over $900k in revenue from nothing.

I travel a lot between NJ and MN. I'm currently getting divorced and have a 13 year old, soon to be HS freshman, daughter in MN. I love the freedom I get but I think maybe I need a little more structure. What I really love to do is learn about new ways of programming smarter and more efficient. I love doing things I've never done before. I am very familiar with quite a few cutting edge web technologies and language. Pretty much all Open Source based platforms.

I'm probably saying the same things many ENTP types have said before. I'm just really feeling like I need a career change with a little more direction...

If you're still reading, Thanks! If you have any insights, please let me know. Feel free to ask any questions about my background if you need more info.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings entp_and_curious and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum entp_and_curious. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Welcome :) I would suggest posting this in the ENTP sub forum too.

It's rare to find an ENTP who's stuck with things as long as yourself, quite an accomplishment. I had some similar experiences as yourself, minus any military experience. I am just now trying to start my own business. If you want something more challenging and changing, have you considered simply trying to aggressively expand your current business? Step back, stop directly programming, and create multiple teams?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done some of the team stuff with my business. I feel like I end up going out just finding work for other people to do which really isn't what I want to do. Plus there is a significant financial risk.
It may seem like I have stuck with things because I was in the AF for 11 years. The interesting about military careers, especially for that of Officers, they want you to have a breadth of knowledge to become a General officer. I was on track for that type of career but couldn't take fighting a never ending war. Plus it changes you to fight in a war. So this breadth search, had me live in 7 different places in 11 years. It was encouraged to move a lot. That probably was the best career for me, even though it doesn't seem like a typical fit for an ENTP.
I should probably mention I was diagnosed 87% clinical ADHD in 2008. I always knew but never looked for confirmation due to my job and security clearance requirements. They don't really like you talking to shrinks when you have a clearance, they get super nervous that you are going crazy.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in this post. I've hired a coach recently and I'm trying to focus in a little bit. Although, finding a career that could make use of my experience would be super cool too.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Welcome :) I would suggest posting this in the ENTP sub forum too.

It's rare to find an ENTP who's stuck with things as long as yourself, quite an accomplishment. I had some similar experiences as yourself, minus any military experience. I am just now trying to start my own business. If you want something more challenging and changing, have you considered simply trying to aggressively expand your current business? Step back, stop directly programming, and create multiple teams?
I would take that first part as an insult, if it wasn't totally true. (Though it's no less true for INTPs!)

But anyway, welcome to the forum, curious. It's OK to be a little curious, and I'm glad you aren't trying to suppress it. May I suggest posting your feelings on the subject in the sex & relationships section of the forum? There are plenty of LGBT and other curious people there who can help you find yourself.

(Just kidding! But since you're a fellow ENTP and not an ISTJ, I assume you get that.)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I would take that first part as an insult, if it wasn't totally true. (Though it's no less true for INTPs!
Definitely a problem INTPs share as well :) We may just "stick with" something due to insecurities or lack of motivation to move out of it, but we mentally jump ship just as fast as the ENTP does. (And are always unsuccessful at what we "stick with.")

1 - 8 of 8 Posts