Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new and not exactly sure of my type. I think I'm an ENTP but sometimes tests score me as an ENTJ (or ENFP or ENFJ).

About me (mostly negative traits... I'm really not a terrible person, promise. These just seem to trip me up in typing the most haha)
-I am very independent and value my freedom a lot.
-I don't like rules and I don't like when people tell me what to do. I feel accomplished when I get away with breaking rules.
-BUT I like being in charge. I've been told I'm bossy. I think I take on leadership roles because I don't want someone to have authority over me. I don't really like bossing people around for its own sake, but because I guess I want tasks done right. Usually I prefer to work alone if I can.
-I'm very organized with time but very disorganized with physical objects. I like making a schedule (even though I frequently don't stick to it) but my desk is always a mess.
-I'm very tolerant of other people and can get along with almost anyone. I'm pretty outgoing, definitely more extroverted, like participating and being involved in conversations.
-I'm good at giving objective advice and don't sugarcoat things.
-Love theater and literature, love the artistic freedom and control that comes with writing or performing (and the praise for artistic accomplishment)
-But I'm very logical. It's weird, I'm inspired and affected by art and beauty but not an overly emotional person.

I feel like, when trying to type my personality, some of my traits are contradictory. So... help. Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm getting some sort of ETJ vibe here. You seem to use Te a lot, but I'm a bit unsure about your S/N. Got any details you think might help with that?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pretty sure I'm N. I tend to focus on the future, I see the big picture, like starting projects more than finishing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading around on PerC is making me lean toward ENTJ too, now. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do all of the things listed above aside from being too effected by art or beauty ( I am, just doubt it's in the same sense as you ) and I score 100% Perceiving every time I take the test.

. _.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking you got a little bit more Fe in ya. how open minded are you? Are you set in stone on some things? I think ENTJs have more firm belief and stature where as ENTPs are more ever evolving and changing. Similar to difference between a column of water is always moving to establish its height, bubbling over with concepts and things that eventually fall to the side. ENTJs are more like a hydraulic pole that establishes its position through firm growth or structure, very deliberate in action keeps it all neat, clean and together.

Reactions: lylyness

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a helpful analogy, Quin Sabe. As you describe it I would definitely lean toward open-minded and changing. In positions of power I guess I'm more uncompromising, but in general less so, I think.

I took a cognitive processes test and scored this way:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************** (29) average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.7) limited use (Which is weird, I'm reasonably sure I prefer Si. But now I wonder :p)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.2) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.3) excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.2) good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.2) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.8) limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29) average use

So exactly the same Te/Ti haha. But reading up (PerC is really informative and has great links! :D) is making me think ultimately my Ti is preferred but my Te is well-developed.

So I'm tentatively going with ENTP. But more input is absolutely appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well you gave us a nice list there, but why don't you tell us about your average day. Maybe there is some insight we can garner from that.

But I'm very logical. It's weird, I'm inspired and affected by art and beauty but not an overly emotional person.
Anecdotal quip: One of my best friends, an ENTP, is EXACTLY like that. He is dating another one of my good friends, an INFJ I hooked him up with and is having some trouble adjusting to her temperamental artist nature.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
One thing I noticed about ENTPs is that they like the next best thing so to say and become really excited at beginning of project. They are great for getting things started. But by the end of the project they are so bored that they will attempt to escape it and move on to new one. Me being a J, I cannot have closure until I complete whatever I have started. The project just has to be significant, meaningful in some way, and I can drag it out and put it on the backburner, but it will always rotate somewhere in the back of my head as something incomplete and bug me.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new and not exactly sure of my type. I think I'm an ENTP but sometimes tests score me as an ENTJ (or ENFP or ENFJ).

About me (mostly negative traits... I'm really not a terrible person, promise. These just seem to trip me up in typing the most haha)
-I am very independent and value my freedom a lot.
-I don't like rules and I don't like when people tell me what to do. I feel accomplished when I get away with breaking rules.
BUT I like being in charge. I've been told I'm bossy. I think I take on leadership roles because I don't want someone to have authority over me. I don't really like bossing people around for its own sake, but because I guess I want tasks done right. Usually I prefer to work alone if I can.-I'm very organized with time but very disorganized with physical objects. I like making a schedule (even though I frequently don't stick to it) but my desk is always a mess.-I'm very tolerant of other people and can get along with almost anyone. I'm pretty outgoing, definitely more extroverted, like participating and being involved in conversations.
-I'm good at giving objective advice and don't sugarcoat things.
-Love theater and literature, love the artistic freedom and control that comes with writing or performing (and the praise for artistic accomplishment)
-But I'm very logical. It's weird, I'm inspired and affected by art and beauty but not an overly emotional person.
I feel like, when trying to type my personality, some of my traits are contradictory. So... help. Thanks.
This screams Te to me. You seem like more of an ENTJ.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I vote ENTP, as the one I know likes being the leader and is generally logical and objective like you stated. You might want to look into Enneagram to explain what MBTI can't.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Bionic, those were good reads.

I continue to lean toward ENTP but with a relatively weak P preference.

One thing that is confusing me is this love of arguing I keep reading about for ENTPs. I'm willing to argue to make my point or to get what I want, and if challenged about something important to me I do not step down. But I wouldn't say that I particularly like to argue and I definitely do not instigate arguments "for its own sake." Arguing can rather exhaust me and a lot of times I will back off relatively quickly if I don't care about the topic much. Do all ENTPs debate for fun? (On the other hand, it seems like a lot of ENTPs don't realize when they're arguing, so maybe I argue more than I realize. :p)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Don't get lost in stereotype. You might not think you are argumentative-I don't think I am-but other people seem to!

I occasionally type as ENTJ in tests but I'm pretty sure that ENTP hits the spot for me. Nothing you wrote in your original post would go against that.

I don't think I know any ENTJs who are not well dressed, or who have messy desks.

I do know ENTJs who have not completed projects. In their case though, it isn 't because the project is no longer intrinsically interesting, it is because it no longer helps them further their prime objective. I fail to finish things because once I have sorted out in my head how it is going to turn out, I lose interest in making it turn out, at all. I am the queen of completed but not-written-up research.

P-ness.....hard to define. It makes most sense to me that being a P means you have an ordered mind but do not require order in your surroundings, and vice versa. This is absolutely true for me, and all my family (mother and 4 siblings) who are all P.

I find that looking at functions can be a difficult way to determine type. The cognitive functions test scores me high on Te and well as Ti, for example, and Ni as well as Ne. Ne-Ti much higher, but classically Ni-Te shouldn't feature at all, and yet they do. If you do look at functions look only at the first two to determine type. It's what the questionnaire does anyway.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I've known ENTPs who would shy away from arguments and the kind that get into really silly ones. Then I've know one very argumentative ENTJ. Their arguments are different. ENTPs are more like poking you for new information, see how far they can take it, it is more of a creative process for them. ENTJ arguing was more like "my Te has decided that this is the most efficient way to do this, now prove me wrong".

There is actually quite a bit of difference between ENTJs and ENTPs - it is not just the last letter but the whole rearrangement of cognitive functions:
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ - Te Ni Se Fi

The dominant function though is like the main lens through which we see the world around us. And Ne and Te are quite different in this respect. I would suggest you read more on how Te works and how Ne works and then figure out which is your main modus operandi: Function Attitude

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've known ENTPs who would shy away from arguments and the kind that get into really silly ones. Then I've know one very argumentative ENTJ. Their arguments are different. ENTPs are more like poking you for new information, see how far they can take it, it is more of a creative process for them. ENTJ arguing was more like "my Te has decided that this is the most efficient way to do this, now prove me wrong".

There is actually quite a bit of difference between ENTJs and ENTPs - it is not just the last letter but the whole rearrangement of cognitive functions:
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ - Te Ni Se Fi

The dominant function though is like the main lens through which we see the world around us. And Ne and Te are quite different in this respect. I would suggest you read more on how Te works and how Ne works and then figure out which is your main modus operandi: Function Attitude
Ugh, I'm confusing myself again. I'm reasonably sure I use more Ne than Ni. But I'm not sure if I use more Ti or Te. :/

I realize ENTJs and ENTPs are pretty different, but I am confident I am an NT. And that I'm E. I feel like ENTJ and ENTP both describe me well. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looking at the other types that share the same functions, are there some you are more like and some you are definitely not?

(ISTP, ESTP, INFJ, ENFJ)
(ISTJ, ESTJ, ENFP, INFP)
(ISFP, ESFP, INTJ, ENTJ)
(ISFJ, ESFJ, INTP, ENTP)

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Ugh, I'm confusing myself again. I'm reasonably sure I use more Ne than Ni. But I'm not sure if I use more Ti or Te. :/

I realize ENTJs and ENTPs are pretty different, but I am confident I am an NT. And that I'm E. I feel like ENTJ and ENTP both describe me well. :unsure:
You wreak of Te dude. I'm pretty sure that you are an ENTJ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts