Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty sure I'm ENTJ but every now and then I score ENTP (the P and J scale are always close for me) so I have a little seed of doubt in my head about my type and I'm wondering if you guys can shed some light for me.

Some things about me:

-I like to be very organized. If things are out of their place, they are lost forever.
-I'm generally a neat and tidy person but every now and then I get in a funk or really preoccupied with a project and I'll let things go in those cases. It never lasts too long though because I usually get to a point where I can't stand it.
-I love non-fiction books (theoretical, biographical, etc.) and I hate fiction. I feel like fiction is a waste of time. I was the only one in my third grade class I remember who browsed the history and science sections of the library we would go to check out books and the only one as a small child who already knew about WWII and the holocaust because I had read the Diary of Anne Frank.
- I am very blunt when speaking, and generally do not know how to be tactful in a lot of situations, to my detriment.
- I am very social. I love spending time with people and tend to get a bit depressed if I have to be alone for too long.
- I am married to an ENFJ and we have very similar outlooks on life, are very good friends who have a lot of fun together, but I tend to want to compete with him a lot. He is very charismatic and can naturally win over a room and he's very funny, plus he's smart. I appreciate all these things about him but I also feel a need to try and out do him in these arenas as well. He's pretty competitive too so we have a bit of a friendly rivalry in our marriage. Neither of us take it too seriously.
- I can be a little short or too blunt with my ENFJ husband and have hurt his feelings for being this way. For a long time I didn't know I hurt his feelings because he wouldn't tell me.
- I get really absorbed in projects and my interests change rapidly. Once I conquer something I want to move on to the next thing. I used to have a problem with abandoning projects as a child but now I'm more interested in seeing them through but if I had to work on the same projects over and over again I would be incredibly bored.
- I like to look nice when I go out. I could care less if it's a day off or I know no one special is going to see me, but generally, I like to look polished and, in a professional setting, like someone who knows what she's doing.
- When I was a kid my parents would frequently have a sit down with me following my making a comment or having an argument with my brother and ask me how I was feeling and I always thought that was weird.

I have made some pretty stupid career choices in the past but one good one (minus the pay) was journalism. Other things I've done in the past:

-6 months working on a cruise ship after college graduation
-I applied to Air Force Officer Training School, but did not get in in the end due to a non-tech cut that year
-I minored in history and majored in mass comm. Considered majoring in political science in the beginning.
- Created and organized a tsunami relief concert to raise funds shortly after college
-When I was a kid I was the leader of the kids in my neighborhood. My mother had me in all forms of dance as a child and I felt it was my mission to teach all the other kids my dance numbers and put on a performance for our entire neighborhood.
-My parents told me I was too bossy when I was a kid and told me my behavior was rude and unladylike.

That's probably more info than you need, but please ask questions if you have any and thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing that my husband thinks is bizarre: When I was a kid, I was fascinated with the Civil War, Ancient Egypt, etc. But I was really fascinated with the people who were casted in volcanic ash in Pompeii (still am very fascinated with this, actually), the process of mummification (I actually did a presentation on this in my gifted class in fifth grade and grossed out all the other students) and how the minie ball bullet ripped through bodies in the Civil War. Not sure if these kinds of fascinations glean more about my personality or not...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and the last one more thing: I love music and I'm a naturally talented singer. I've tried to learn instruments in the past though and it didn't hold my interest. I also can't read music. I know being musical isn't typical ENTJ.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@kb82, I think you are an ENTJ after all out of several reasons in your post. I mean, you seem to have ENTJ functions no matter how you score on the J/p scale. I always score almost 50-50 on the F/T scale, but I'm an INFP anyway (an above-average rational one). So you're probably...a decently laid-back ENTJ? ;)
@kittylicious that's a pretty nice way to look at it. I sometimes think in all or nothing terms and didn't want to fool myself that I was an ENTJ if I was really an ENTP or some other type. But the laid back ENTJ sounds like a good explanation for any inconsistencies with ENTJs across the board. ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Have you had a chance to look at the cognitive functions? Cognitive Functions 100: Basic Functionality Revised - INTP Forum This has a good summery of the different functions if you haven't.

I would say that out of ENTJ and ENTP, you would be a ENTJ. From your posting you sound like you have a lot of Te. Even though ENTJ and ENTP only have one letter different they are completely different function wise.
ENTJ - Te > Ni > Se > Fi
ENTP - Ne > Ti > Fe > Si

Your husband as a ENFJ would have the functions of Fe > Ni > Se > Ti.

If there are any functions above that you relate to stronger than Te and Ni, then we can try help you further. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had a chance to look at the cognitive functions? Cognitive Functions 100: Basic Functionality Revised - INTP Forum This has a good summery of the different functions if you haven't.

I would say that out of ENTJ and ENTP, you would be a ENTJ. From your posting you sound like you have a lot of Te. Even though ENTJ and ENTP only have one letter different they are completely different function wise.
ENTJ - Te > Ni > Se > Fi
ENTP - Ne > Ti > Fe > Si

Your husband as a ENFJ would have the functions of Fe > Ni > Se > Ti.

If there are any functions above that you relate to stronger than Te and Ni, then we can try help you further. :)
@Revolutionist good stuff. I'm really glad I posted this topic here because you just helped me clarify that I am most definitely an ENTJ. And yes, I identify mostly to Te and Ni.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No Problem :) It's always best if people can understand the under-linings of their type.

The Reason I suggested ISFP or INFP for the girl you mentioned earlier in another thread is that I felt like she was a confused Fi user.
which is either ISFP - Fi > Se > Ni > Te or INFP - Fi > Ne > Si > Te

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
@kb82: you show no dearth of attention to detail, or willingness to pay attention to sense data for practical concerns, but have a marked lack of tact in social settings, and are very blunt, which can be somewhat detrimental to practical concerns as well.
As you seem a practical lady, that in and of itself seems to suggest you've picked your poison.
ENTJ, as judging (thinking) dominants tend to have a bit more of an issue with feeling than do ENTP's. However, if you find good reasons to identify as a strong perceiver, you could be an ENTP if you so please.
If you subscribe to cognitive functions, Te and Ne dominance look pretty different, however, and the vibe I get is no dearth of sensation, which would point against N dominance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts