Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've done mbti for about 4 years now and still don't really know my type. Maybe you can help me out. I'm either ESTP or ENTP... or just a really outwardly focussed and outgoing IXTP. I'm a TP, that much I'm sure of. The stereotypes of ENTP and ESTP confuse me and are probably what's holding me back. I don't fit a lot of the ENTP stereotypes.

Here are a bunch of random words and bullets that describe me:

-Enneagram 8w9
-adventurous: I've gone on expeditions, hiking trips, I LOVE the outdoors.
-persistent
-eye on the prize: if anything gets in my way its usually ignored, jumped over, or thrust aside if it interferes with my goals.
-Aggressive: I CAN BE very aggressive. but this is usually only in a competitive setting where I turn into satan, or if someone backs me into a corner.
-man-child: I look very easy to pick on and was often bullied as a kid, innocent and naive up until you give me no choice but to retaliate. When I do you will usually end up publicly humiliated and belittled and speechless because I'm not afraid to make a public spectacle out of you should the need arise.

-I tend to aggressively tease people who are too nice in an attempt to get them to fight back. People who fight back make me laugh and I'll love them for it.
for example: in the navy, this guy walks into the office and asks,
possible entj: do I sit here?
me: I'm going to need you to sit on the floor, please.
possible entj: ... I'm going to give you a minute to think of something else clever to say ;)
me: *big smile, laughing inside, probably blushing*

-Excellent hand-eye coordination and reflexes, but lack grace and my movements can sometimes be clunky (I'm a little rusty and haven't practiced in a while so its possible this is the reason). Friends think I'm a ninja.
-Gymnast, black belt
-music writer, science fiction writer, programmer, hl2 map maker, piano player, flute player, professional hand farter, renaissance man.
-lots and lots of video games but very athletic and active.
-I view life as a series of stepping stone goals, one after another. Getting to those goals is a rough trudge through molasses if too many things get in my way. I have enormous ambitions of wealth and success.
-I view myself as a super hero, a white knight. I don't show it much because I look egocentric and that turns people off, but when the need arises I swoop in and help people. On a hiking trip, my brother slipped and got stuck on the side of a cliff once, stuck on a fallen tree. He cried for help and his mouth was full of blood. Like spiderman swinging from thread to thread, I flew down the 60 degree cliff face from tree to tree. Tied a rope around him and saved him. His life suddenly took absolute precedence over my own. I had zero fear of falling when I normally would have.
-Often times I don't realize I've been insulted until moments after its too late to react.
-I enjoy intellectual debate but find it rare to meet someone who is interested as I am in reaching mutual truth rather than arguing who is right and wrong.
-Forgetful. my lunch will travel with me around the house sometimes: hot dogs left on the engine block of my car, ketchup bottle left on the computer tower, mountain dew left in the bathroom.
-very goofy, I take almost nothing seriously except things that actually effect someone's life, or relationship matters. I got a lot of flack for this when in the military. Imagine Jim Carey in the military, constantly being told he's disrespectful to the uniform and doesn't take it seriously enough.
-obsessed with fluorescent colors, bioluminences, black lights, strobe lights you name it.
-most of my explanations for my conclusions are rationalizations to make it look like it was well thought out. I'm usually right but no one wants to give me a chance to prove it.
-I've been told I'm "too clever." Often times my facebook status will be a joke, then someone will come in and try to make a joke that's not as funny, then I'll make a joke off of their joke that ups theirs. I'm starting to feel like this doesn't help with the friends department.
-I love extreme sports, motorcycles, etc.
-I Love aesthetics
-Most of the women who approach me in my life are IXFX's.
-I'm outgoing and love talking, but it might take a little bit for me to observe whether or not you'll hate me for my over the top, goofy sense of humor.
-Favorite subjects: math and science, I used to hate history but its growing on me. I hate black and white videos and brown pictures.
-I hate the color brown so hard. I fucking hate it. Omg it just sucks so hard.
-I love colorful futuristic settings and science fiction fantasy like mass effect, and artists like gary tonge.

Why I'm think I'm ESTP:
-extreme sports, coordination
-Very aware of everything going on around me

Why I don't think I'm ESTP:
-the forgetfulness as described above. Sometimes I'll bump into walls or trip over chairs. Other times I move like a cat and tiptoe through my incredibly messy room.

Why I think I'm ENTP:
-the forgetfullness, the non-intimidating childish exterior (unless ESTP's are also not so intimidating at times)
-I can keep up with my INTP friend's crazy conversations if I squint my brain a little bit. I've been talking to him daily for the last 20 years so Its possible I've just adapted or something.

why I don't think I'm ENTP:
-I don't talk about abstract things like how nothingness is somethingness or why time is only a perception. I give a lot of concrete examples, and tend to give examples as 2 people in dialogue with one another.
-the love of sensory experiences, adrenaline sports, the crucial athleticism, I view myself as an Aesthetic. If I had enough money I'd buy a geodesic dome home with a tree inside the house, a stream flowing through the house, I would be barefoot and walk on moss while a radio plays ambient music in the background. I love zen art, japanese art, samurai etc.

Some celebrities or fictional characters I adore and aspire to be like, or sometimes act like:
Calvin harris (I act and look like him)

Chris Evans (starred in captain america, fantastic four and scott pilgrim vs the world: I act like him)

Nathan Drake (from the uncharted series)

Michael Ironside (freaking love this guy. I act like him if I'm in a crisis situation or when I'm playing paintball. I get dead serious. Idunno if I look like him but he's my hero.)

One more thing: my favorite video game is doom, and here's why:

So what do you think?

ESTP or ENTP? Something else even?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hate the color brown so hard. I fucking hate it. Omg it just sucks so hard.
Dude, chill. Don't hate, just embrace the love. heartt.png

No, but honestly, you sound more like an ESTP to me. The way you describe yourself, your hobbies and your interests, it all seems much more Se than Ne. I think sentence "the love of sensory experiences, adrenaline sports, the crucial athleticism, I view myself as an Aesthetic" kinda hit the nail on the coffin.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I was thinking ENTP...are you very traditional? Lots of ESTP's I've met really hold traditions in high regard more so than an ENTP. ENTP's can also be more intuitive to people's feelings where ESTP's are just not. ESTP's are usually (not always) pretty awesome at sports, especially team sports. Both are funny, but the wit of an ENTP > ESTP. They are both appealing but in different ways. An ESTP is more outwardly sensual effortless, where an ENTP may talk about sex more and can manipulate a woman much better. (I guess it depends on the woman).

Ehh, just like me not to read your entire post. If you can't hold a conversation with a lot of N's or think they are strange then you are an S.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking ENTP...are you very traditional? Lots of ESTP's I've met really hold traditions in high regard more so than an ENTP. ENTP's can also be more intuitive to people's feelings where ESTP's are just not. ESTP's are usually (not always) pretty awesome at sports, especially team sports. Both are funny, but the wit of an ENTP > ESTP. They are both appealing but in different ways. An ESTP is more outwardly sensual effortless, where an ENTP may talk about sex more and can manipulate a woman much better. (I guess it depends on the woman).

Ehh, just like me not to read your entire post. If you can't hold a conversation with a lot of N's or think they are strange then you are an S.
I hate tradition. It makes me feel the same way I feel when I look at the color brown.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
That description could apply to either. Let's say you want to come to an understanding about something. Where does your attention direct itself most easily?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You're an ESTP. The aesthetic focus, the "stepping stones" of life you describe, Drake (Uncharted- didn't recognize the others). Most interests ring more ESTP. I read nothing that would make me think "definitely ENTP", but I caught a few other major ESTP tip offs. I'm calling ESTP here. Not to offend anyone against Keirsey's (it better adresses this particular typing dilemma) but I don't quite get the NT vibe, lots of SPness.

Based solely on the content of your post, I'd still be leaning towards ESTP- it was what wasn't in your post that makes me more confident in an ESTP typing.

Reactions: Obsidian

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That description could apply to either. Let's say you want to come to an understanding about something. Where does your attention direct itself most easily?
come to an understanding, that's kinda vague: so lets say I'm arguing with a teacher about the meaning of life and I want to come to and understanding on the meaning of life. My attention is directed toward the words they're saying and the logic involved. I'll pick up on mannerisms, waviness in their voice which indicates they're starting to either feel unsure of themself or predicting some sort of retaliation from my end for some reason. Once I detect something that clues to me they are no longer talking for the sake of mutual understanding I will focus completely on mannerisms and begin to provoke them in order to gauge their reaction and discover why they're drifting away from mutual understanding or getting defensive. So it starts off theoretical provided I can trust them enough to actually seek that: if it starts to wander from that it becomes a battle of "you're hiding something" "NO I'M NOT!!"

gotta run to work, bbl

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm caught in a strange logic pickle:

Do I have a fetish with my ENTP inferior Si,

or am I just full blown ESTP.

I have scattered thoughts and can sometimes work on multiple tasks at once hence the lunch example. That's why I often think Ne.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Your last post seems very Se-Dom. Your focus is on external observations to determine the other's honesty. I'd postulate an ENTP would be too focused brainstorming ways to destroy the other person's argument before they can speak again.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Got double ninja'd by two posters. My last post was directed at the way you argue. I'm quite confident in ESTP 8w9.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
come to an understanding, that's kinda vague: so lets say I'm arguing with a teacher about the meaning of life and I want to come to and understanding on the meaning of life. My attention is directed toward the words they're saying and the logic involved. I'll pick up on mannerisms, waviness in their voice which indicates they're starting to either feel unsure of themself or predicting some sort of retaliation from my end for some reason. Once I detect something that clues to me they are no longer talking for the sake of mutual understanding I will focus completely on mannerisms and begin to provoke them in order to gauge their reaction and discover why they're drifting away from mutual understanding or getting defensive. So it starts off theoretical provided I can trust them enough to actually seek that: if it starts to wander from that it becomes a battle of "you're hiding something" "NO I'M NOT!!"

gotta run to work, bbl
That does sound more Se, though it doesn't quite discount Ne, either. Do you think more about the implications of a given scenario, or are you more focused on what happens to be there in front of you? ENTPs have an easier time looking at what isn't there, and reading between the lines, while ESTPs find it more natural to focus on what happens to be in front of them, and how they can act on it in the moment.

I'm caught in a strange logic pickle:

Do I have a fetish with my ENTP inferior Si,

or am I just full blown ESTP.

I have scattered thoughts and can sometimes work on multiple tasks at once hence the lunch example. That's why I often think Ne.
For the record, that sounds more like E7 than E8.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
None of the reasons you give for being ENTP (or for not being ESTP) have anything to do with being one. You also seem very sensation focused, not just the aesthetics and athletics stuff but the way that you communicate is rather turned towards reality and example. In particular, your level of awareness when you are arguing (like actually being aware that you are picking up the waviness of their voice and making that as worth mentioning) is usually a sign of Se. The one place where you sort of reference intuition is to dismiss of it as being only questions like "is time only a perception?", which shows a sensing preference (might indicate Ni inferior).

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
@Idan of Europa ​have you considered the possibility of you having Fi instead of Ti?

Maybe it's just a lot of type 7 but you've got a lot of enthusiasm/optimism in your posts that I don't see in other ENTPs. Ti has a tendency to give a personality a sort of dark, grating edge that I can't really describe even when they lead with an optimistic enneagram.

Have you looked into ISFP at all?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts

Have you looked into ESFP?

-the forgetfullness, the non-intimidating childish exterior (unless ESTP's are also not so intimidating at times)
The bolded does not sound like an ENTP at all. ENTPs are like old souls and can be quite cynical. I wish my ENTP child had a non-intimidating childish exterior or interior. Instead she came out of the womb frustrated by idiots, ready to speak her mind, and a confidence that has intimidated teachers, principals, and makes everyone believe she is way older than she is. However, I find her cynical wit hilarious.

My ESTP father and other ESTPs I know are also quite the force. My dad can be "jolly" and fun but I would never ever think of him as having non-intimidating and childish behavior. I think there is something about the Ti that shows up as a strong confidence in both types.

"Goofy sense of humor" does not sound like Ti to me either. But I have seen it in ISFPs and ESFPs.

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Hi, I've done mbti for about 4 years now and still don't really know my type. Maybe you can help me out. I'm either ESTP or ENTP... or just a really outwardly focussed and outgoing IXTP. I'm a TP, that much I'm sure of. The stereotypes of ENTP and ESTP confuse me and are probably what's holding me back. I don't fit a lot of the ENTP stereotypes.

Here are a bunch of random words and bullets that describe me:

-Enneagram 8w9
-adventurous: I've gone on expeditions, hiking trips, I LOVE the outdoors.
-persistent
-eye on the prize: if anything gets in my way its usually ignored, jumped over, or thrust aside if it interferes with my goals.
-Aggressive: I CAN BE very aggressive. but this is usually only in a competitive setting where I turn into satan, or if someone backs me into a corner.
-man-child: I look very easy to pick on and was often bullied as a kid, innocent and naive up until you give me no choice but to retaliate. When I do you will usually end up publicly humiliated and belittled and speechless because I'm not afraid to make a public spectacle out of you should the need arise.

-I tend to aggressively tease people who are too nice in an attempt to get them to fight back. People who fight back make me laugh and I'll love them for it.
for example: in the navy, this guy walks into the office and asks,
possible entj: do I sit here?
me: I'm going to need you to sit on the floor, please.
possible entj: ... I'm going to give you a minute to think of something else clever to say ;)

-Excellent hand-eye coordination and reflexes, but lack grace and my movements can sometimes be clunky (I'm a little rusty and haven't practiced in a while so its possible this is the reason). Friends think I'm a ninja.
-Gymnast, black belt
-music writer, science fiction writer, programmer, hl2 map maker, piano player, flute player, professional hand farter, renaissance man.
-lots and lots of video games but very athletic and active.
-I view life as a series of stepping stone goals, one after another. Getting to those goals is a rough trudge through molasses if too many things get in my way. I have enormous ambitions of wealth and success.
-I view myself as a super hero, a white knight. I don't show it much because I look egocentric and that turns people off, but when the need arises I swoop in and help people. On a hiking trip, my brother slipped and got stuck on the side of a cliff once, stuck on a fallen tree. He cried for help and his mouth was full of blood. Like spiderman swinging from thread to thread, I flew down the 60 degree cliff face from tree to tree. Tied a rope around him and saved him. His life suddenly took absolute precedence over my own. I had zero fear of falling when I normally would have.
-Often times I don't realize I've been insulted until moments after its too late to react.
-I enjoy intellectual debate but find it rare to meet someone who is interested as I am in reaching mutual truth rather than arguing who is right and wrong.
-Forgetful. my lunch will travel with me around the house sometimes: hot dogs left on the engine block of my car, ketchup bottle left on the computer tower, mountain dew left in the bathroom.
-very goofy, I take almost nothing seriously except things that actually effect someone's life, or relationship matters. I got a lot of flack for this when in the military. Imagine Jim Carey in the military, constantly being told he's disrespectful to the uniform and doesn't take it seriously enough.
-obsessed with fluorescent colors, bioluminences, black lights, strobe lights you name it.
-most of my explanations for my conclusions are rationalizations to make it look like it was well thought out. I'm usually right but no one wants to give me a chance to prove it.
-I've been told I'm "too clever." Often times my facebook status will be a joke, then someone will come in and try to make a joke that's not as funny, then I'll make a joke off of their joke that ups theirs. I'm starting to feel like this doesn't help with the friends department.
-I love extreme sports, motorcycles, etc.
-I Love aesthetics
-Most of the women who approach me in my life are IXFX's.
-I'm outgoing and love talking, but it might take a little bit for me to observe whether or not you'll hate me for my over the top, goofy sense of humor.
-Favorite subjects: math and science, I used to hate history but its growing on me. I hate black and white videos and brown pictures.
-I hate the color brown so hard. I fucking hate it. Omg it just sucks so hard.
-I love colorful futuristic settings and science fiction fantasy like mass effect, and artists like gary tonge.

Why I'm think I'm ESTP:
-extreme sports, coordination
-Very aware of everything going on around me

Why I don't think I'm ESTP:
-the forgetfulness as described above. Sometimes I'll bump into walls or trip over chairs. Other times I move like a cat and tiptoe through my incredibly messy room.

Why I think I'm ENTP:
-I can keep up with my INTP friend's crazy conversations if I squint my brain a little bit. I've been talking to him daily for the last 20 years so Its possible I've just adapted or something.

why I don't think I'm ENTP:
-I don't talk about abstract things like how nothingness is somethingness or why time is only a perception. I give a lot of concrete examples, and tend to give examples as 2 people in dialogue with one another.
-the love of sensory experiences, adrenaline sports, the crucial athleticism, I view myself as an Aesthetic. If I had enough money I'd buy a geodesic dome home with a tree inside the house, a stream flowing through the house, I would be barefoot and walk on moss while a radio plays ambient music in the background. I love zen art, japanese art, samurai etc.

Some celebrities or fictional characters I adore and aspire to be like, or sometimes act like:
Calvin harris (I act and look like him)

Chris Evans (starred in captain america, fantastic four and scott pilgrim vs the world: I act like him)

Nathan Drake (from the uncharted series)

Michael Ironside (freaking love this guy. I act like him if I'm in a crisis situation or when I'm playing paintball. I get dead serious. Idunno if I look like him but he's my hero.)

One more thing: my favorite video game is doom, and here's why:

So what do you think?

ESTP or ENTP? Something else even?
ESTP

ENTP

So would you say you're more "live in the moment" or more scatter-brained and idea/future-oriented?

Here's a YouTube video to help. :)

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not an introverted feeler. I happen to be hitting it off with some hot babe so I'm in a good mood hence the enthusiasm. She might be ISFX.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts