Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I previously tested as an INTP, but I never really seemed to fit the description. I recently tested as an ENTP, but I don't really trust the tests as I get different results depending upon how I interpret the questions. I'm reasonably sure that I'm an xNTP, but I'm not positive. I'm not sure whether I'm a social introvert, a bottled-up extrovert, or an ambivert. I feel like I've gone through a couple of periods in my life where I've fit the INTP description very well, but mostly while dealing with health issues/isolation and it doesn't feel like it's my natural type. So I think it may be more a case of social withdrawal than introversion. I used to be very extroverted when I was younger, I was loud and obnoxious (and funny) and always had lots of friends. Growing up in a very serious J family, and being home-schooled, I feel like have caused me to develop a lot of introverted traits.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

The I/E distinction mostly. I certainly act very introverted at times. I've become very quiet, reserved, and passive much of the time. But it never feels like it's natural for me to be that way, and it FRUSTRATES ME TO DEATH. >.< I've always found it easy to be social and extroverted if there's a group of people I actually want to interact with, but this hasn't really happened in so long, I almost don't /know/ how I would react.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to experience life, and understand it through my experiences. And share this experience with others. I've always valued deep, meaningful relationships, and friends above anything else. Also, excitement, danger, new experiences and information. I want to make the most of life and experience and learn EVERYTHING.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I think I was happiest and felt the most in my element when I was younger, I had a group of friends who adored me and I was always the ring-leader and would come up with random ideas and make them happen. I've always found it incredibly easy to get people to like me and do what I want. I don't really have a group of friends now though...we've gotten older, gone in different directions. I still have friends, but they're so spread out, busy with their life, college etc. that nothing really happens in that area.

But then again, I was much younger then. In recent years I've found other ways that make me happy. I express myself through art and music (I play violin). I love understanding new information, analyzing things, and explaining them to people (or better yet) having arguments about them. I like expressing these ideas in writing. I have an aptitude for philosophy-related essays. I'm not gonna lie, I'm perfectly happy with who I am. In fact, I think (in my unbiased opinion) that I'm just about the most interesting person I know. But I'm not content to live in my head, it's interesting in there, but I want to find other people as interesting as I am and exchange ideas.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

As I've gotten older I've spent so much time at home with very little social interaction, I feel like I'm just shoved into my mind and am forced to adapt. Then, when I do go around groups of people I feel stuck in this pattern. It makes me feel very trapped, because I don't think I'm naturally that way and I'm not always. And then when I don't have enough outside interaction I get low energy and don't seek out interaction, and so on, so it's sort of a downward spiral. I know there's a clear difference because when I'm around groups and feeling more extroverted I find it easy and natural to interact with people, and when I don't I just feel *invisible*.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I have a strong need to reach decisions by my own thought processes, I'm never willing to make decisions based on what other people's opinions. I generally analyze every possible element of whether it will be useful to me and how it will effect myself and others.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I generally prefer to work alone, I don't like trying to work with incompetent people. I'd rather just do it all myself. However, if there's someone who I consider competent enough to run something I'm more than happy to help out or just be the idea person/inspiration behind an operation. And I do need minions to carry out all my brilliant ideas. ;)

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Ummm....a few years ago I went to a Latin Immersion program, which I enjoyed a lot. I found the whole atmosphere appealing: the idea of being able to fluently converse in a language that's been dead for hundreds of years piqued my interest, the challenge involved in this was intellectually stimulating, it was across the Country somewhere I'd never been, I got to meet new (intelligent and interesting) people, and the whole week was packed with fun activities (dances, hikes, museums etc.). I came away with a somewhat fluent command of the Latin language and some new friends that I still keep in touch with.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I almost never read instructions, they're so /boring/. I usually just figure things out by messing with them until I get it right. Sometimes I'll try to ask someone to explain something if I think they have expertise in the matter....but I usually get impatient if they can't give me a complete, concise explanation in a few words (gosh, so incompetent!) and go to figuring it out on my own, which takes much less time.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Two words: organized chaos. My desk looks like a hurricane hit it.....but I know exactly where everything is. I like to think of it as organized disorganization and disorganized organization. There's a method to my madness.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I take in as much information as possible and analyze it internally. I try to understand the underlying principles and determine how they fit in with my current understanding of reality.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

It depends....I'm very good at adapting to different groups of people, and assimilating myself into whatever group I choose, but I also have a tendency to like to stand out and be weird and different. People's reactions are just so damn funny, I sometimes simply can't resist. ^_^ However, I'm pretty aware of what people's reactions will be and don't actually like to make people uncomfortable, so I tend not to push it too far and am usually pretty agreeable and easy to get along with, and find I can get along with just about anybody.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I have a tendency to over-analyze everything and usually think before I speak. I often prefer one-on-one communication, and I usually talk a LOT in such a situation. I love groups of people, but I'm often less interactive. I love to stand in a group and analyze people. Or go group-hopping and talk to a bunch of different people, depending on what mood I'm in. If I find a group utterly boring, I just won't interact at all.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I don't know how to answer this one...it really depends. I avoid putting myself in situations where I feel like I won't have the freedom to determine my own decisions, and don't like people trying to push me into situations I don't have enough information about. However, I often tend to seek out unfamiliar and challenging situations and throw myself into them without thorough investigation. I'm not sure whether I'd say actions or words are more important...on the one hand, I think words are one of the most powerful things there are, but on the other I think it's our actions not our thoughts that define who we are. That's why I feel so frustrated when who I am doesn't match up with my lifestyle, I'm not content to just understand my thought processes, I want to live a life that reflects them.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Go out with the friend. Dur. Unless they're boring/stupid, in which case I'd just tell them I'm busy.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I don't think I get stressed very easily, I enjoy challenges and I'm pretty confident that I'm capable of handling pretty much any situation life throws at me. When I do get stressed though, I think I react by shutting down and withdrawing and trying to work the situation out in my head, and it also effect me very physically. But I usually find I'm able to sleep even when stressed, i.e. taking a nap to de-stress before an audition.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I can't stand incompetent people trying to control me. If you're going to be stupid /fine/, but don't inflict it on me. Or narrow-minded, uptight people who can't seem to deal with the idea of people being different from them. Or boring people who seem to have no interests. *Shudders* If only everyone were as interesting as I am, I think the world would be a much more exciting place. ;)

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

EVERYTHING. I like to jump between deep, philosophical debates and completely frivolous conversations with no apparent connection.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Shit, just about anything I consider boring or irrelevant. I pay very little attention to other's expectations and tend to just do my own thing.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends think I'm completely insane and pretty weird, but they put up with me. They also think I'm creative, smart, analytical, driven, and open-minded and have used words like 'adventurous', 'explosive' and 'experimental' to describe me. I can't really say there's anything wrong with their perception. Hell, there are LOTS of things they could say about me, but I'm pretty sure they'd never think to call me boring. :)

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I'd probably get up absurdly early so I could fit in as much shit as possible. I'd then spend the day doing whatever the hell I wanted...hang out with/chat with whichever of my friends happened to be available, probably draw a lot, maybe paint, play violin, something active like go for a run/bikeride, probably read a bit out of some non-fiction book or research on the internet about some obscure topic, work on some of the millions of projects I have going, maybe do a bit of writing, and experiment with something new or start a new project. I'd probably waste much more time than necessary on the internet, and get very little done.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Well, ambivert of some sort. While most of what you say leans very extraverted, you do put a lot of emphasis on analysis and on more one-on-one relationships. Really mainly, I'd see you as INTP not because of any of that social stuff but because you seem pretty strongly T. But still, something reads vaguely ENTP, and there's still the slight chance of another non-NTP type.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Hmmmm.....

Reasons I don't think I fit the INTP type:

Living in your parents basement at 40: I would go insane in this scenario.
Lazy genius: I'm not Einstein. I think I probably have pretty average IQ, but I'm motivated and driven. If there's something I want, I'm willing to do whatever necessary to achieve it. Even if others think it's not possible.
I love groups of people. I would probably choose to go to a party over any other activity, even if I don't know any of the people particularly well.
I love dancing.
I'm a thrill-seeker and physical daredevil. I enjoy things that are physically challenging, like skiing and mountain climbing, and it's my life-goal to try every extreme sport ever invented.
I get energized by social situations.
I like coming up with ideas, and actually making them happen. Preferably with lots of people.
I have very little concern for conserving my energy, what I'm afraid of is being bored. I tend to come up with so many ideas and get involved in so many things, that I'm much busier than I intended.

Edit to post above: as much I idealize logical thinking and like to think of myself as a logical person, I actually feel like the Ne is my dominant function. I've always tested almost 100% on the N and the areas I'm strongest in are Art, and understanding literature and philosophy. I'm less strong in science and math, though not inept. I always look for hidden meanings in things and am able to emphasize with others pretty well and see how things will effect them and this usually plays a large role in my decisions.

On the other hand, see post above for reasons I don't think I fit the ENTP type...

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Yeah, I think you got your type right on this one. Lol

I could relate to pretty much everything. If I couldn't relate, then I matched it perfectly.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the input. Hmmmm.....

Reasons I don't think I fit the INTP type:

Living in your parents basement at 40: I would go insane in this scenario.
Lazy genius: I'm not Einstein. I think I probably have pretty average IQ, but I'm motivated and driven. If there's something I want, I'm willing to do whatever necessary to achieve it. Even if others think it's not possible.
I love groups of people. I would probably choose to go to a party over any other activity, even if I don't know any of the people particularly well.
I love dancing.
I'm a thrill-seeker and physical daredevil. I enjoy things that are physically challenging, like skiing and mountain climbing, and it's my life-goal to try every extreme sport ever invented.
I get energized by social situations.
I like coming up with ideas, and actually making them happen. Preferably with lots of people.
I have very little concern for conserving my energy, what I'm afraid of is being bored. I tend to come up with so many ideas and get involved in so many things, that I'm much busier than I intended.

Edit to post above: as much I idealize logical thinking and like to think of myself as a logical person, I actually feel like the Ne is my dominant function. I've always tested almost 100% on the N and the areas I'm strongest in are Art, and understanding literature and philosophy. I'm less strong in science and math, though not inept. I always look for hidden meanings in things and am able to emphasize with others pretty well and see how things will effect them and this usually plays a large role in my decisions.

On the other hand, see post above for reasons I don't think I fit the ENTP type...
Look into ESTP as well. I sensed a lot of Se and some Ni in there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look into ESTP as well. I sensed a lot of Se and some Ni in there.
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure ENTP fits perfectly. The more I looked into it, the more it seemed to explain my thought processes. And what doesn't, seems to be a case of the ISTJ shadow...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
@MadHattress, sounds like you've spent time in isolation but you're primarily an extrovert.
Sounds like you're an ENTP to me with a strong Se, too.
iNtuition is a function that can make ENxP's seem more introverted than most extroverts.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sounded more ENFP/ESFP o_O, I saw a moderately pronounced Se in your post, just about as much as I did see Ne. I did see Ti, but I also saw alot more Feeler in there. Perhaps an ENTP with a highly-pronounced Fe, but I'm not so sure.

I'd randomly put your functions at Ne-Se-Fe-Ti-Ni. Or something.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm no expert, still unable to confidently pinpoint my own type, but I know Ti and I'd be surprised if it was your dominant function.

I'm still iffy on what Ne looks like, but I saw what seems like lots of Se there:

I want to experience life, and understand it through my experiences. And share this experience with others.
Also, excitement, danger, new experiences
and information. I want to make the most of life and experience and learn EVERYTHING.
I had a group of friends who adored me and I was always the ring-leader and would come up with random ideas and make them happen.
I generally analyze every possible element of whether it will be useful to me and how it will effect myself and others.
...the whole week was packed with fun activities (dances, hikes, museums etc.)...
I almost never read instructions, they're so /boring/. I usually just figure things out by messing with them until I get it right.
However, I often tend to seek out unfamiliar and challenging situations and throw myself into them without thorough investigation.
I love dancing.
...boring...
...bored...
...boring...
...bored... etc.
These could very well be attributes of other functions as well as Se, but they are part of what I understand to be at least Se.

Also, things that I believe my Ti noticed (possibly because Se brought them up in the first place):

...(gosh, so incompetent!)...
If I find a group utterly boring, I just won't interact at all.
Unless they're boring/stupid...
I can't stand incompetent people trying to control me. If you're going to be stupid /fine/, but don't inflict it on me.
Or boring people who seem to have no interests. *Shudders* If only everyone were as interesting as I am, I think the world would be a much more exciting place. ;)
Then I read the description of you from your friends:

They also think I'm creative, smart, analytical, driven, and open-minded and have used words like 'adventurous', 'explosive' and 'experimental' to describe me.
But what really stood out was this:

Or narrow-minded, uptight people who can't seem to deal with the idea of people being different from them.
I don't know what type, but I get the feeling of Extrovert because I don't see Ti dominant. You talk a lot about analyzing, but I haven't seen many examples of it. So, ExTP is my guess. I need to learn more about Ne and Se, though.

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounded more ENFP/ESFP o_O, I saw a moderately pronounced Se in your post, just about as much as I did see Ne. I did see Ti, but I also saw alot more Feeler in there. Perhaps an ENTP with a highly-pronounced Fe, but I'm not so sure.

I'd randomly put your functions at Ne-Se-Fe-Ti-Ni. Or something.

Hmmm...interesting you say that. I've spent a lot of time around sensors/feelers, and I think I've developed my inferior functions fairly well. But even so, I feel like I'm pretty low in both Se and Fe...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm no expert, still unable to confidently pinpoint my own type, but I know Ti and I'd be surprised if it was your dominant function.

I'm still iffy on what Ne looks like, but I saw what seems like lots of Se there:
I do have a fairly strong Ti, but I agree, I don't think it's my dominant function. I was stuck in sort of a Ti loop for a while, where I was analyzing everything obsessively, and that's what made me think I was INTP. As far as order of functions goes, ENTP makes sense: Ne-Ti-Fe-Si. I think I'm very weak in the areas of sensing and feeling, even though I feel like I have a pretty good connection to my inferior functions, I still suck at things requiring proficiency in these areas. I think that what you're seeing as Se, may possibly be Ne. I found an article that seems to fit me like a glove, and that's one of the main elements that convinced me I'm ENTP: http://personalitycafe.com/entp-articles/76805-recognizing-inferior-function-entp.html

These could very well be attributes of other functions as well as Se, but they are part of what I understand to be at least Se.

Also, things that I believe my Ti noticed (possibly because Se brought them up in the first place):
From what I've read, boredom is actually the main issue ENTP's have. They take in the the world via their Ne and then analyze it internally using Ti. What energizes them is constant new experiences, ideas etc. Lacking this, boredom ensues. Here are some related qualities listed as applying to ENTP: risk-taker, thrill-seeker, experience junky, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, adventurous, fearless, spontaneous etc.

Then I read the description of you from your friends:

But what really stood out was this:
I'd like to point out that ENTP's are frequently listed as the type least likely to do things in a conventional manner, and also as having very little tolerance for those they perceive as overly boring bound by convention.

I don't know what type, but I get the feeling of Extrovert because I don't see Ti dominant. You talk a lot about analyzing, but I haven't seen many examples of it. So, ExTP is my guess. I need to learn more about Ne and Se, though.
I do analyze things a lot...however, I see my Ti more as being used to support my Ne. Would you say this seems like an accurate assessment? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
The minute I saw your opening post as an INTP --- I just got a very strong desire to state that you could very well be an ENTP actually - but since you weren't asking to be typed at that point, I held back on my initial instinct about your type.

Then I saw that it took you less than a few days to change your type --- and I think you've got it right.

Also ... look into Enneagram Type 3. Why do I see it as a fix [or even core] with a 7 head and 8 gut. I think you just might well be a 378 Triader. Of course, this is based on my first impression of your self-reporting :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The minute I saw your opening post as an INTP --- I just got a very strong desire to state that you could very well be an ENTP actually - but since you weren't asking to be typed at that point, I held back on my initial instinct about your type.

Then I saw that it took you less than a few days to change your type --- and I think you've got it right.

Also ... look into Enneagram Type 3. Why do I see it as a fix [or even core] with a 7 head and 8 gut. I think you just might well be a 378 Triader. Of course, this is based on my first impression of your self-reporting :)
That's very interesting! I was pretty convinced I was INTP for a while...I guess I never thought any of the descriptions matched, but I thought it made more sense than anything else. But yeah, I think I've got it figured out now. ENTP makes so much more sense. ^_^

The Enneagram...I actually haven't been able to determine my type conclusively. You seem fairly knowledgeable in that area...care to help me figure it out? What resources would you recommend?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
The Enneagram...I actually haven't been able to determine my type conclusively. You seem fairly knowledgeable in that area...care to help me figure it out? What resources would you recommend?
Get Neranjo. Read the descriptions on Dave's Enneagram and Typewatch blogs.

Also .. @Boss is very knowledgeable in Enneagrams [doubt anyone else is more capable at typing others than her on this forum]. She's more of a fact and resource-based Typer ... I type based on my instincts and feelings :p [what do you expect, I'm FeNi].

If you're ready, you can always go over into the Enneagram Type section and fill out the questionnaire there.

You have 2 options:

1. Self-type and if you get stuck, fill out the questionnaire
2. Don't read much of anything on Enneagrams and fill out the questionnaire.

The latter might even yield some interesting results.

PS. For some reason, I'm very curious about what you have to say in the Enneagram questionnaire if you do decide to fill it out :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get Neranjo. Read the descriptions on Dave's Enneagram and Typewatch blogs.

Also .. @Boss is very knowledgeable in Enneagrams [doubt anyone else is more capable at typing others than her on this forum]. She's more of a fact and resource-based Typer ... I type based on my instincts and feelings :p [what do you expect, I'm FeNi].

If you're ready, you can always go over into the Enneagram Type section and fill out the questionnaire there.

You have 2 options:

1. Self-type and if you get stuck, fill out the questionnaire
2. Don't read much of anything on Enneagrams and fill out the questionnaire.

The latter might even yield some interesting results.

PS. For some reason, I'm very curious about what you have to say in the Enneagram questionnaire if you do decide to fill it out :)
@Jawz

thanks lol:) I also follow my instincts, btw;) But, definitely facts and theory go hand in hand.

OP, try to fill the questionnaire before doing your readings on the Enneagram. You can avoid certain biases this way.

I am not sure when I'll get to it, but @Paradigm and @Dark Romantic are very knowledgeable as well.
Great, thank you! I'll give the questionnaire a go soon, and see what input I get...

·
Banned
492 Posts
hmm, you sound like an ENSTFP, or, someone who cares too much about their type haha.

Dont worry about it though, extroverts are never completely extroverted, and the same is for introverts. We are all innately social creatures, on the inside, and we also crave belonging to groups, which is why personality type is so appealing to all of us. Even if your introverted, you will have extroverted traits. Im an ENTP, and i enjoy quiet alone time, just as i enjoy talking to people and sharing ideas with them.

They key to not worrying about it anymore, is to just accept yourself unconditionally. When you are feeling extroverted, do what you feel is right to do, dont let that voice inside your head tell you that it isn't something an INTP would do.

And remember, the test isnt as accurate as you would expect. Questions like "you like to party" are not good questions, because an extrovert might hate partying. intro/extro(a) version has nothing to do with being a social person, but instead which kinds of stimuli keep you aroused (not sexually), having external stimulation keep you busy, as opposed to having just your own thoughts keep you busy.

NEW QUESTION FOR THE TEST: What kind of shit do you like more? Staring at pretty colors, or thinking about pretty colors?

What movie character would you say that you are most like??? That could give us an idea of what you are like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts