• Other

Votes: 11 8.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what religion or faith other ENTP's follow/adhere to, if any (I get the feeling atheist/agnostic will be the popular one). Its obviously NOT a very extensive list because I don't feel like listing a ton of religions or going into specifics. There is an "other" option that will work fine if yours isn't up there.

And just to make things fun, why =P

·
Registered
424 Posts
Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether a spiritual being exists or not. I have as much faith in religion as I do with science. I do believe I want to live the life I want. Never will I intentionally adhere to practices, rituals, and traditions listed in any "holy text." At the end of the day, I still cannot say God or Gods don't exist but neither can I say it does.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'd go for Buddhist, seeing as it's pretty sensible and not based on blind faith. I used to be an atheist before I realised that was a contradiction.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've put atheist/agnostic but that does rather require taking a stance. I'm not anti-god or anti-religion, was brought up in a catholic family, but would probably label myself a spiritual humanist, if I had to. What's that? hard to explain. Suffice to say I think we evolved, existence is random, consciousness is hard to define and there is no afterlife for my consciousness when my body dies, which I guess means I don't believe in the concept of souls. I do believe in the continuity and strength of the human race as an organism that is greater than the sum of its parts, and that what we contribute during our lives influences how that organism develops after we die.

That's when I can be bothered to think about it, which isn't often.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I abstain from any sort of religious belief one way or the other. I can and will gladly discuss the matter, sure, but at the end of the day I'm still completely nonreligious.

I don't identify with the terms atheist or agnostic, however.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I never understand why Agnostic and Atheist get lumped together like they're the same thing. They're not too far off if you listen to or view those that identify as one or the other and one can be confused for the other I suppose but in my eyes there is a difference, at least as far as the implications of the terms. I see an atheist as someone who believes there is no God plain and simple and an Agnostic as someone that questions the existence of God or has an alternative view of the idea of God that is outside of the realm of organized religion or cannot be spun into an organized religion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was raised Baptist, but converted to Catholicism before I got married.

Why do I believe? I don't think there is a 'why'...I think you either believe (have faith) or you don't.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I never understand why Agnostic and Atheist get lumped together like they're the same thing. They're not too far off if you listen to or view those that identify as one or the other and one can be confused for the other I suppose but in my eyes there is a difference, at least as far as the implications of the terms. I see an atheist as someone who believes there is no God plain and simple and an Agnostic as someone that questions the existence of God or has an alternative view of the idea of God that is outside of the realm of organized religion or cannot be spun into an organized religion.

Wow ! Thanks ! Now I know I am some sort of christian agnostic ! I just created the label, I suppose but it fits perfectly !

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
In french dictionnaries, agnosticism is though :
"adept of a theory according to which everything that is beyong the "given", the "absolute", so the metaphysic, cannot be known and understood".
Sorry for the bad translation. In short, agnosticists don't know if God exist or not and think we cannot know.

This makes sense...
In ethymology
"a" means without
"gnosti" comes from greek "gnosis" : knowledge
"cisme" means noun

So ethymologically it's the noun of people without knowledge (on religion).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow ! Thanks ! Now I know I am some sort of christian agnostic ! I just created the label, I suppose but it fits perfectly !
Haha. Sorry, but that label has existed forever. You're either agnostic [belief] or gnostic [belief] I believe.

Agnostic atheist and anti-theist here. I lack a believe in a supernatural higher power and think the universe is better off without the ones espoused in holy books I have read.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Agnostic atheist and anti-theist here. I lack a believe in a supernatural higher power and think the universe is better off without the ones espoused in holy books I have read.
I think that some Theists aren't part of a religion or atleast don't become 'espoused in holy books'.
Anyway...I'm agnostic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that some Theists aren't part of a religion or atleast don't become 'espoused in holy books'.
Anyway...I'm agnostic.
Well sure, there's plenty of people out there who believe in an intervening "power" that isn't in any holy book - It's strange how many of these people will still call themselves Christian though. I'm simply saying that the Gods I've read about have generally been pretty nasty or silly.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Well sure, there's plenty of people out there who believe in an intervening "power" that isn't in any holy book - It's strange how many of these people will still call themselves Christian though. I'm simply saying that the Gods I've read about have generally been pretty nasty or silly.
You said that you're anti-Theist because you think that we're better off without people who delve into holy books, though. That's why I mentioned that 'Theist' isn't really synonymous with 'religious'...by definition.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You said that you're anti-Theist because you think that we're better off without people who delve into holy books, though. That's why I mentioned that 'Theist' isn't really synonymous with 'religious'...by definition.
Right.

Like pantheism....Belief that god and the universe are identical. Panthiests do not believe in a personal god or a creator god, like the god of Christianity. "God", is a way to relate to the universe.

Its definitely possible to believe in a god without limiting him/her/it by a book that also tells you how that god wants/expects you to live and what to condemn others for.

Personally, I identify myself as agnostic. I don't believe that the presence of a god can be proven or disproven. I was raised mormon, then went to Christianity after that, although I was always a bit of an agnostic. I could never fully accept that if there was a God, then that book was exactly what he wanted from people. I don't follow any religion now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be more precise, I said that we're better off without the theistic world view.

Theism is the believe in an intervening power. I'm against this, because we must assume that whatever the higher power, it's pretty darn callous. I've no particular problem with deism or pantheism other than that they're superfluous.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I just don't see how anyone with such a critical, analytical and logical way of thinking that an ENTP has can believe in any religion. Of all the temperaments, NTs most of all need REASONS and EVIDENCE, and no religion provides reasons or evidence. Saying that one must have faith based on nothing is simply retarded. Religion is the ancient way of explaining what is happening around you and to control people. They were developed in the days before modern science and prosecution systems.

I am open minded about there being a higher power. I cannot proof that there is or is not something out there, and neither can anyone. The ONLY thing that makes me consider myself agnostic, and not atheist, is that no one can say how all the material particles that constructs everything around us got there. Something doesn't just come from nothing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Agreed. Thats precisely the reason I consider myself agnostic as well.

For some people, there seems to be some sort of subjective facts or emotional experience that makes them so sure that their faith is true. Must be that elusive Holy Spirit that never did get sent my way XD

1 - 20 of 153 Posts