Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time posting...

So I am an ENTP and I am looking for some good skills I can teach myself, take a class to learn, or watch someone do that are highly marketable or lucrative.

For Example: My INTP friend programs Apps and websites for people and he always hits flow, what kind of things make you hit flow?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, ENTPs are pretty good at learning everything, but they tend to have difficulty with long term performance where the work is detail or deadline oriented. So, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer your question without knowing if you have developed your SJ functions enough to handle certain kinds of work. Does that make sense?

Reactions: VivianeScrooge

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It doesn't make a lot of money, but if you learn how to knit you can make everyone really cheap presents that they'll appreciate. I knit during class, while talking to people, at lunch, while watching TV, just any time I feel like doing only one thing is too boring. I suggest it, it's relaxing and at the end you get a cool item of clothing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've always had a thing for writing song parodies, but my inaction has probably cost me so many potential internet debuts (no seriously, they're not bad at all and one is on its way to production).

Since I was a kid, I always had a way with twisting words around. Someone would say something and I'd hear something completely different which was the same amount of syllables and rhymed exactly how they said it. This really supplemented my daydreaming when coming up with silly song lyrics or making fun of text. This apparent "gift" also got me in trouble at school and work a lot. Manager would say "Talk to him please", I'll hear "Walk to the place". Ne would quickly associate a relevant point of interest and I instantly size up a task to complete with zero relation to what was asked of me. In elementary and high school (if I got in trouble), I'd never be able to correctly recall situations where I swore at someone and would construct sentences on the fly.

Creative stuff can be hit or miss. Youtube/AdSense is quite literally one of the best mediums to turn creativity lucrative.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
www.coursera.org offers free college classes. I'm taking one on history now.

But it sounds like you are more into the artes manuales than the artes liberales. If that's the case consider getting a part-time job helping out some tradesmen. Drywall patching, painting, wallpapering, that sort of thing. The more skills you learn the more you realize that it takes the same sort of qualities to do any of them well, at least in the general sense that we ENTP's can discern.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I recommend you to learn how to creative write; other than providing a good mental challenge that could last several months, it also a good skill to express your myriad ideas without going out of your room.

·
Registered
733 Posts
www.coursera.org offers free college classes. I'm taking one on history now.

But it sounds like you are more into the artes manuales than the artes liberales. If that's the case consider getting a part-time job helping out some tradesmen. Drywall patching, painting, wallpapering, that sort of thing. The more skills you learn the more you realize that it takes the same sort of qualities to do any of them well, at least in the general sense that we ENTP's can discern.

how is the coursera stuff going?

I'm signed up for one in January, curious to see how it's structured

·
Registered
351 Posts
I instruct a motorcycle safety course, been riding for about 7 years now. I also autoX my miata at SCCA events.

I play guitar, self taught and play in an acoustic cover band.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Take some dancing classes. I don't know spam shyte about it and got two left feet, but it's social and stimulating and hilarious, as long as you have some healthy self irony to feed off. Not to mention it's great for meeting women.

Also, a new language. Learn a new language. Do it.

Creative writing, very much supported, it gets ideas out of your head in an entertaining way.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
how is the coursera stuff going?

I'm signed up for one in January, curious to see how it's structured

I'm enjoying the course so far. It takes real effort. I signed up for 3 expecting . . . dunno . . . some slide presentations and a few quizzes. I dropped the other two and am sticking with history which is taking about 4-5 hrs per week all told. There are papers graded by peers and study groups and all that. Very happy I chose to go with it, but am somewhat disappointed that I can't seem to carry much more of a course load. Getting old, I guess. Oh, and career and kids and all that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recommend you to learn how to creative write; other than providing a good mental challenge that could last several months, it also a good skill to express your myriad ideas without going out of your room.
Take some dancing classes. I don't know spam shyte about it and got two left feet, but it's social and stimulating and hilarious, as long as you have some healthy self irony to feed off. Not to mention it's great for meeting women.

Also, a new language. Learn a new language. Do it.

Creative writing, very much supported, it gets ideas out of your head in an entertaining way.
I will try creative writing, and maybe a language.

I feel somewhat confused, I just graduated from college and I want to do so much at once that i feel paralyzed not knowing where to begin... and i am sure i will hear the answer "just try something" but the thing is, i don't know what the thing is- I am just stuck.

·
Banned
459 Posts
I will try creative writing, and maybe a language.

I feel somewhat confused, I just graduated from college and I want to do so much at once that i feel paralyzed not knowing where to begin... and i am sure i will hear the answer "just try something" but the thing is, i don't know what the thing is- I am just stuck.
Well, for starters, how about going for one skill that just sounds like fun and you want to learn just because you want to, and one widely applicable skill(for instance, a language) you can use in a myriad of settings, and can be used for many different things. Learning something new gives you personal growth either way, and you get both something useful and something stimulating out of it no matter what. Not to mention if you, some time, don't feel like learning or doing the "useful" thing, go for the "fun" thing - although as ENTPs, I'd wager almost anything can be both fun and useful.

If you want the ULTIMATE in ENTP writing, go for writing causeries. I hang mine up at work once in a while, and it really gets your craziness off your shoulders, so to speak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, for starters, how about going for one skill that just sounds like fun and you want to learn just because you want to, and one widely applicable skill(for instance, a language) you can use in a myriad of settings, and can be used for many different things. Learning something new gives you personal growth either way, and you get both something useful and something stimulating out of it no matter what. Not to mention if you, some time, don't feel like learning or doing the "useful" thing, go for the "fun" thing - although as ENTPs, I'd wager almost anything can be both fun and useful.
Thank you. What are your top language picks?

·
Banned
459 Posts
Thank you. What are your top language picks?
My personal picks? Mandarin, for sure, Russian and Arabic, in that order, being amongst the most useful languages long and short term, at least in my own context.

If one isn't bi- or trilingual or naturally apt with linguistics, it'd probably be best to start with a Germanic or Romance language, Spanish, French and German are all great languages for beginners, Spanish being the easiest overall I believe. French is a high cultural value language, and gains you tons of creds in those settings, and German - although localised to Germany, it is after all the most modern industrial powerhouse in the world - is invaluable if you have anything to do with the European setting.

My impressions.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
i was a programmer.
specialized in terrabyte datbases 10 to 15 years ago before they were so common.

bit twiddling screen appearances is about like blowing on paint to get it to dry.

BORING.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts