Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ENTP subtypes

Because there are as many flavors of entps as there are ice cream flavors, and each entp is different from one other, I am starting an ENTP subtype thread to subcategorize and describe the different subtypes of ENTPs. Feel free to add more information to each of these descriptions because I don't know everything. Also give me feedback if the descriptions are innaccurate so I can change them.

ENTP enneagram 3: The Achiever

This type is chiefly motivated by success and fame and recongnition for their ideas, Prone to narcissism and and can have over exceeding high expectations of themselves, Can often seem Jish. They are often sociable and image conscious. Cares about other people's opinion towards them and image sensitive.

ENTP enneagram 5: The Thinker Philosopher

This type is most similar to their cousin INTPs. Often thinkers who develop elaborate theories and have periods of introspection. But are ambiverts and have bouts of extroversion with people who have similar tpreferences and ideas as their own.

ENTP enneagram 7: The experiencer:

This type is the thrill seeker who enjoys novelty of experiences and live life to the fullest. The risk taker and adventurer. Mostly have a don't give a fuck attitude with authority and the status quo or anyone who imposes restrictions on them, and my way or the high way. The atypical troll.

ENTP enneagram 8: the leader-anarchist

This type is kind of rare. Very anti J and anti authoritian, the ultimate ENTJ antithesis. This type defies anyone who tries to control them and prefers to take leadership role in groups, They are either outcasts or visionary leaders. They like lassize faire and improvisation, and prefer let underlings do their jobs; only intervening in the group when things go seriously wrong. They tend to experiement with all sorts of ideas no matter how outrageous they are and can seem megalomanical. Following their leadership can seem like following a roller coaster ride with all sorts of ups and downs. Most likely to be disruptive when not leading and not care about other people's opinions towards them. Can have conflicts with people with strong J preferences or rule followers.

ENTP enneagram 9: the peacemaker

This type prefer peace and harmony in groups,. They know they have a unique brain and mind, and can come up with many unique ideas, but mostly remain fun loving and prefer not to rock the boat. They want to fit in while at the same time be recongnized for their uniqueness and contribution.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
EXTP; The experiencer ( adventurer ENTP +ESTP)

Function preference: NeSe orjust P for that matter

This type have strong preferences in both Se and Ne. They are the hybrid of ESTPs and ENTPs. Likes to experience things as they come and go with the flow. Thrill seeking and likes to live life in the edge.

XNTP (INTP+ENTP): The thinker

Function preference: Ti

This type prefer to analyze things and come up with conclusions. Drawn to learning theories and refine their ideas. However, they also ambiverts and can amaze people with bouts of risk taking and bold behavior.The awkward extrovert with moments of introspection. Their Fe may be a bit weak though

ENXP (ENTP + ENFP): The brainstormer

Function preference: Ne (weaver between Ti and Fi)

This type is the hybrid of ENTPs and ENFPs. Their crazy Ne will often make them seem impraticial and suggest things that are out of context with reality. They are also more empathic and feeler oriented than the other subtypes of ENTPs, as their Fi and Ti are balanced and score the same.

ENTX (ENTJ +ENTP hyrid) The workaholic achiever

Function preference: NeTe

This type wish they were Js but didn't quite make it up the mark. Very career focused and achievement oriented. Often have conflicting desires to be both J and P at the same time, but don't know which to choose. They sometimes procrastinate, but can discipline themselves to do work and meet deadlines when necessary.

In terms of preferences:

Strong P preference:

You are a serial procrastinator. But your strengths lies in improvisation and go with the flow. You generally are prepared for all sorts of outcomes and worse case scenarios, but don't bother to give a damn about them and avoid them. You prefer to experience the worst, knowing that big failues and pitfalls is part of the journey towards success. If your E supports your strong P, you are a doer, you make your ideas happen rather than think about them. You prefer doing rather than thinking and brainstorming.

Strong E preference or strong E and P:

You are an extrovert who uses his E well. Yiou are sociable and enjoy making friends and acquitances. You also like to take risks and have interesting conversations with strangers, prefering to get ideas, stimulations and the most juice out of talking with dfferent people. Can often seem quite shallow, but can have moments of deep thought due to some N (intuition).

Strong N and P preference: (Ne)

The visiionary. You see things that most people fail to see and can see the future unfolding in your brain. You also can envison alot of possibilities. Most things you think about would happen in the next 10-30 years, but people fail to realize it. You have a strong imagination, but your weakness lies in the difficulty to communicate with the majority of the population who are more realsitic and pragmatic than you.You get alot of ideas out of communicating and imagining things.

Strong Ti preference (XNTP):

You like ideas , and analysis. You have a strong sense of logic and can seem a bit more socially awkward than the other entps. You like Math and calculations, and is gravitated towards science and computer programming. You prefer to analyze things before you accept them , but is generally open minded. You get ideas mostly out of thinking in solitude or talking to other thinkers.

Strong T and weak P preference (ENTp):

You are the achiever. You like to organize your life and plan your goals accordingly. You also procrastinate less and can meet deadlines well. You prefer to balance your J with some flexibilty. Very career and academic achiever oritented. Don't like to lose and fail. can panic though when things don't go as plan.

ETP
I am going to outline the most common subtypes I can think of, but maybe there are more:

eNTp (NT)

ENTp (closest to ENTJ) (ENTX)

eNTP(XNTP) (closest to INTP) (XNTP)

EntP (EP)

EnTP (closest to ESTP) (ETP)

ENtP(ENXP) (closest to ENFP) (ENP)

eNtP (NP)

Bascially, I can sum up the ENTPs into several subtypes:

You are either

Ne dominant
NeTe (the J and P ambivert)
Ti dominant
P dominant

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I feel most of these descriptions fit, but IN SPECIFIC CONTEXTS! When leading or even raising my kid, I lead like the Leader Anarchist (somewhat). When it comes to preferences, again I feel like a mix of Thinker/Brainstormer etc. At work I use Achiever to get things done.... Procrastinating? Hell yes. I feel like many of these traits are inside the ENTP spectra.

Perhaps it isnt pragmatically useful to go into sub-categories...? Interesting, but perhaps not as useful. What do you think?

Reactions: Jenko and Goaty

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think that some people fit subtypes well, some don't. I wonder if this correlates with the ones that fit enneagram well, and those that don't.

I display most of the characteristics described in the various types, at different times. I'm not sure I'm a constant. Or I just can't recognise that in myself *shrugs*

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cool idea, and I've always thought I fit Enneagram 8 really well, so the description above is pretty consistently spot on with me. But I would say I can fit all of these "subtypes" depending on the situation.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
ENTP subtypes

Because there are as many flavors of entps as there are ice cream flavors, and each entp is different from one other, I am starting an ENTP subtype thread to subcategorize and describe the different subtypes of ENTPs. Feel free to add more information to each of these descriptions because I don't know everything. Also give me feedback if the descriptions are innaccurate so I can change them.

ENTP enneagram 3: The Achiever

This type is chiefly motivated by success and fame and recongnition for their ideas, Prone to narcissism and and can have over exceeding high expectations of themselves, Can often seem Jish. They are often sociable and image conscious. Cares about other people's opinion towards them and image sensitive.

ENTP enneagram 5: The Thinker Philosopher

This type is most similar to their cousin INTPs. Often thinkers who develop elaborate theories and have periods of introspection. But are ambiverts and have bouts of extroversion with people who have similar tpreferences and ideas as their own.

ENTP enneagram 7: The experiencer:

This type is the thrill seeker who enjoys novelty of experiences and live life to the fullest. The risk taker and adventurer. Mostly have a don't give a fuck attitude with authority and the status quo or anyone who imposes restrictions on them, and my way or the high way. The atypical troll.

ENTP enneagram 8: the leader-anarchist

This type is kind of rare. Very anti J and anti authoritian, the ultimate ENTJ antithesis. This type defies anyone who tries to control them and prefers to take leadership role in groups, They are either outcasts or visionary leaders. They like lassize faire and improvisation, and prefer let underlings do their jobs; only intervening in the group when things go seriously wrong. They tend to experiement with all sorts of ideas no matter how outrageous they are and can seem megalomanical. Following their leadership can seem like following a roller coaster ride with all sorts of ups and downs. Most likely to be disruptive when not leading and not care about other people's opinions towards them. Can have conflicts with people with strong J preferences or rule followers.

ENTP enneagram 9: the peacemaker

This type prefer peace and harmony in groups,. They know they have a unique brain and mind, and can come up with many unique ideas, but mostly remain fun loving and prefer not to rock the boat. They want to fit in while at the same time be recongnized for their uniqueness and contribution.
Hmmm....Not really.

1.) ENTP Eights are not that rare. Furthermore, to say that they are "anti-J" is taking a leap that I just don't think has enough to back it up. Despite being reasonably common, most ENTPs who think they're Eights are more likely Threes or Sixes. Eight is one of the most popular mistypes because it's one of the most misunderstood types, as are Threes and Sixes.

2.) Type Six ENTPs are pretty common, actually.

3.) ENTP Fives are really, really rare. Most who claim to be as such are mistyped and don't entirely understand the Enneagram -- like me before I actually looked into the system. INTP-ish ENTPs are often 7w6s, actually. 7w8 is the more stereotypical of the Seven subtypes; 7w6s are more versatile and can definitely seem introverted at times.

4.) Type Three ENTPs are pretty misunderstood. If I'm going by these descriptions, for example, I'd definitely be a Five. That's why I, as I said, mistyped as a Five once upon a time; I'm much more of an intellectual than I am a social climber.

"This type is chiefly motivated by success and fame and recongnition for their ideas."
Success? Okay. Fame? Not really (although, for some individuals, it does come with success). Recognition? Only where it helps with success. Being a Three means being somewhat out of touch with one's emotions and viewing people as tools to be used in order to more easily reach success. Threes are all about ambition, whether or not other people are a part of it. The Three poster child just so happens to be the 3w2(sw2w1) so/sp, who is almost Two-ish in his people-centrism and more about climbing the social ladder. Most Threes are not quite like that.

"Prone to narcissism and can have over exceeding high expectations of themselves."
Well, this is true.

"Can often seem Jish."
No one would ever mistake me for a J unless he was referring to how bitchy and bossy I can be/how much I like to get my way.

"They are often sociable and image conscious. Cares about other people's opinion towards them and image sensitive."
Not necessarily true; this is one of the biggest misconceptions out there. For one, I hate people. I'm pretty much the least sociable extrovert ever, to say the least. Furthermore, of all the people I know, I'd say I downplay the significance of image more than most. Someone doesn't like the way I do things? Tough bananas. What makes me a Three is, again, being out of touch with my own emotions and being overly ambitious. It's not so much image that we seek as it is the use of outward approval to advance our personal agendas. If you can please the right people, you'll go much farther, and no one understands that more than a Three does.

Basically, Type Three ENTPs will have more finesse. Stronger tendencies to go looking for/call out B.S. Often a sense of intellectual superiority. More aloof and stoic. Because the maverick nature of ENTP-ness doesn't go along with the widely held stereotype of the uptight, image-focused Three, we're harder to figure out. We're easily mistyped as Eights. The key difference is that a Three's internal landscape is inherently calm and flat, while an Eight's internal landscape is ever stormy and reactive. Outwardly, we're almost identical.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I display most of the characteristics described in the various types, at different times. I'm not sure I'm a constant. Or I just can't recognise that in myself *shrugs*
I'm exactly the same way as far as the "Many Faces of INFJ" is concerned. I personally believe that function usage is not static, but is more fluid and flexible as one gets older and tightens his or her grip on the less-used functions.

Subtypes may be interesting to research, but I doubt their validity, especially if the enneagram is used to categorize the different types. Splitting the ENTP into many specific types isn't exactly useful; outlining the many different shapes and sizes ENTPs come in does nothing but reinforce the idea that everyone is, indeed, a "special snowflake."

EDIT: ENTPreneur mirrored my thoughts. Perhaps I should double check what has already been said so I don't drop redundant opinions. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm exactly the same way as far as the "Many Faces of INFJ" is concerned. I personally believe that function usage is not static, but is more fluid and flexible as one gets older and tightens his or her grip on the less-used functions.

Subtypes may be interesting to research, but I doubt their validity, especially if the enneagram is used to categorize the different types. Splitting the ENTP into many specific types isn't exactly useful; outlining the many different shapes and sizes ENTPs come in does nothing but reinforce the idea that everyone is, indeed, a "special snowflake."

EDIT: ENTPreneur mirrored my thoughts. Perhaps I should double check what has already been said so I don't drop redundant opinions. :crazy:
No problemo. Nice to see that someone thinks the same. "Great minds think...." as they say...;-)

Reactions: Goaty

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I believe that the Enneagram and other descriptions are useful to learn HUMAN behavior, their causes and manifestations. Some types of people (for instance MBTI) are likely to have some common traits, but perhaps from different reasons. Which then would make this kind of thing useful, but NOT on its own. It is nice psychology input though...

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I don't believe in the enneagram much either.

But I think the enneagram is useful when you try to divide a type into subtypes. Because each enneagram has different motivations and different perspectives on life, despite sharing the same type.

You cannot lump all ENTPs into the same ball of clay, because there are different variations.

I think a good way of finding your subtype is knowing your strongest and weakest letter, and what enneagram type you are.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then there is the whole issue with E.

E stands for Experience not just extroversion.

Having a strong Ne does not mean your actual E is strong.

Its E vs Ne . Ne =/= E

How strong your E is, or how comfortable you are with your extroversion, also determines what subtype you are.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You cannot lump all ENTPs into the same ball of clay, because there are different variations.
There are as many variations of ENTPs as there are actual ENTPs. So where do you divide the line between useful and useless, interesting divisions and unnecessary hair splitting? As many groupings as found in the "Many Faces of INFJs" would be great, but anything more than that would be too many. You'd be better off using a person's four-letter code as a rough and fuzzy guide instead of placing him or her in one of the 10,000 highly individualized categories you're trying to create.

My opinion, of course.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
How about ENTP with enneagram 1(w9)?

Currently dealing with one and not sure what I'm facing here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are as many variations of ENTPs as there are actual ENTPs. So where do you divide the line between useful and useless, interesting divisions and unnecessary hair splitting? As many groupings as found in the "Many Faces of INFJs" would be great, but anything more than that would be too many. You'd be better off using a person's four-letter code as a rough and fuzzy guide instead of placing him or her in one of the 10,000 highly individualized categories you're trying to create.

My opinion, of course.
That's not just your opinion, it's clarity and simple logic. Thank you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well I guess I have figured out my "Am I an ENTP or INTP?" problem. I'm the xNTP variant.

Reactions: SweetDee
1 - 20 of 34 Posts