Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put your theories here that when you say aloud no one cares about and think your talking non sense.

Reactions: Brainteaser

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Mild mental conditions that end with isolation, such as hoarding, could possibly be prevented/reversed if the subject was immersed in an intense community experience.

I will be controlling some nation through a puppet in 20 years.
I will be a billionaire living on a private island in 20 years.
I will be insane in 20 years.
I will have the classic comfortable middle class life in 20 years.

Nihilistic Solipsism - You are god: I am just figment of your imagination.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The life you're living now is actually heaven/hell--when you die, you actually wake up and live in the real world.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Humans are completely and entirely selfish creatures. We're no more than organisms whose soul purpose is to continue the species, and by doing that we must protect ourselves. Everything we do is for our own benefit, no matter how selfless it seems.
I thought this was theories, not facts,:crazy: lol

Reactions: kissmekate1832

·
Registered
257 Posts
Maybe death is just when the soul is too tired to carry on.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colors are different for everyone.
For me your yellow is my blue.
As a child you were taught it was blue no matter what color you were actually seeing.

Reactions: Brainteaser

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
What you're experiencing now is a dream, and your "dreams" are reality.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Maybe death is just when the soul is too tired to carry on.

This really reminds me of Nietzsche.

"Do not fear of death - your soul will die long before your body."

There are so many, literally walking dead people in the world. Which reminds me of this quote from Abraham Maslow (Hierarchy of Needs guy)

"Even if a man was cast into the sea a thousand miles away from the nearest coast, I would still swim.
And I'd despise the man who didn't."

Reactions: candidkamino

·
Banned
1,010 Posts
What if i am the dream of someone else and they are my god? and anything else that happens logically isnt really logic at all, but its just relative to the events dreamed by the dreamer?

·
Registered
147 Posts
And what if we know absolutely nothing, I mean literally nothing. For all we know time could have just been stopped and our minds could have been reset like a computer. We could really be giant, fluffy pink bunnies but our senses and our eyes make us think that we're human.
Of course at that point does it matter that we're pink bunnies if we don't perceive ourselves as pink bunnies?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The only objective measure of any system's worth, weather it's a moral system, belief system or something different all together, is it's consictency. Philosophers have spent centuries trying to find rational basis for morality, but there just isn't any. You have to start with some axioms, something you'll just accept as true 'just because', and as much as we'd like to say that the axioms we pick (i.e. don't kill) are logical and rationally preferable to others (i.e. kill if you can get away with it), they aren't. When building a system you only have to pay attention to make it consistent.
And you have no right to consider your system objectively worthier than any other with the same level of consistency.:tongue:

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Hmm...my theories aren't so philosophical. I have a theory that the markets are controlled by automated trading routines and that the disruptions are due to failures of the routines. This leads to unsettling consequences if rogue routines are entered into the system...

Malkovich said:
Philosophers have spent centuries trying to find rational basis for morality, but there just isn't any. You have to start with some axioms, something you'll just accept as true 'just because', and as much as we'd like to say that the axioms we pick (i.e. don't kill) are logical and rationally preferable to others (i.e. kill if you can get away with it), they aren't.
True, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the philosophy built on top of such axioms. Science is built on the fundamental axiom that for every cause there's an effect. Does that invalidate science?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Humans are completely and entirely selfish creatures. We're no more than organisms whose soul purpose is to continue the species, and by doing that we must protect ourselves. Everything we do is for our own benefit, no matter how selfless it seems.
Exactly what I was about to type! No one in my familly got that theory!

·
Registered
303 Posts
True, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the philosophy built on top of such axioms. Science is built on the fundamental axiom that for every cause there's an effect. Does that invalidate science?
I think you misunderstood me. I don't think any philosophy is invalidated by what I said. On the contrary, I think any philosophy/system is valid as long as it's consistent, or atleast aiming to be consistent and derived from the axioms it sets of from (expanding/changing the list of axioms if necessary).
Basically, simple mathematics. You make an axiomatic system, and derive stuff from there. It's all good as long as the system is consistent. Of course, some systems are more interesting than others, depending on what axioms you start with. Like science, for example, is interesting because it's axioms allow lots of useful and interesting theories and stuff to be discovered.
Some other system with different axioms wouldn't be as interesting or as applicable, but would still be as valid.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Ok, good. I'm just glad we cleared that up. :happy:

Reactions: Malkovich

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There is no absolute truth, outside of this statement.
The only proof that I'm not God, is the fact that I'm not Hugh Hefner.
Everything is social construct.
Objectivity is merely to what degree we can remove subjectivity.
All of human knowledge is creativity and collaboration.
Everything is possible, through the existence of infinite dimensions. (Not mine, but I like it)
If there is a God, we couldn't grasp them, because we can't remove our human way of understanding and defining things from anything. For that matter, we can never remove our personal way of seeing things to ever really "know" others or see the world, in the way they do.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Have you ever let this thought cause you to sit around for hours, trying to think up a way to commit a selfless act, just to disprove yourself? That or use it as a quick excuse to justify doing something exceptionally selfish, that others would see as morally wrong?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts