Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si
INTP = Ti Ne Si Fe

And some intps can seem more outgoing, and some entps can seem less so.

·
Banned
541 Posts
INTP's are usually pretty pessimistic, and ENTP's are usually optimistic. In my personal experience with INTP's they are usually funnier than ENTP's, they also care a lot less what people think about them. INTP's are so unemotional that it's actually humorous to watch them when they're around girlfriends/spouses/parents. They are the type that when their girlfriend is kissing them on the cheek they'll respond with "enough, enough already!" When an INTP is being made to do something they don't want to do there is a very characteristic sighhhhh that I hear all them give.

They also understand basic social norms less than ENTP's so their day to day interactions are usually humorous to most people who understand them(think Larry David). ENTP's tend to have more superficial relationships because INTP's don't enjoy being around people they don't like, at all. ENTP's don't mind being around people they don't like a. if they are benefiting from it or b. if they are having a good time. If you are stupid an ENTP will let you know right away, but may call you if they need something from you. If you are stupid an INTP will look at you, think about how stupid you are, walk away and never talk to you again. INTP's are typically very precise when describing things they don't like about people, or physical characteristics that they find strange in others. The thing about INTP's is that they actually really like all of their friends/family with an almost childlike purity, but you have to really know them to be able to recognize this. ENTP's seem more judgmental than INTP's as well.

ENTP's tend to be more emotional than INTP's, they also show their emotions more. ENTP's are usually more charming than INTP's as well(though some INTP's are pretty charming). Where an ENTP will enjoy being in charge, an INTP will usually be uncomfortable by it(they have no use for being an authority figure for the sake of it) In social groups the INTP is quiet, but their wit and opinion is always appreciated by everyone there. INTP's also hate doing things just because they are social norms, even more than ENTP's(and that's saying something). My INTP buddy is in a frat and he never hazes any of the pledges, he says its a drag. INTP's are serious individuals, but not at the same time, they will always be down to laugh at a joke, or crack one. In my opinion INTP's are the coolest type.

An ENTP is funny in a very sporadic way, INTP's are good at honing their humor. Like, ENTP's will have you laughing more, but INTP's will have you laughing harder, but less. When writing a comedy script ENTP's are good at sitting around brainstorming and coming up with funny ideas that way, INTP's are good at coming up with funny ideas on their own, and usually will come to a meeting with a bunch of funny notes. ENTP's and INTP's are actually very similar, I actually tend to get along with INTP's better than other ENTP's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My brother is a paradigm of an INTP... He'll start in on the long diatribes describing an idea of his, and I will literally be sitting there praying for someone to shoot me. We both appreciate that we're both curious and are the thinking types, because neither of us would get far with the other if we were stupid or wrong-headed. We both have an astounding lack of tolerance for the idiots. He, however, has that duality thing going on in his head that makes absolutely no sense to me. Sarcasm also seems to reign supreme with both types. He seems to have a remarkable grasp on strategy-based ideas, so much so that I've never bested him in a game of Risk. All my ingenuity is no match for his careful calculation of every detail going on. I can lie far better than he can, and can make even him convinced in my arguments, no matter how full of crap they may be. As long as I make my arguments seem like logical truths, it seems INTPs will swallow them whole. lol... I love being around people, and while he really likes the "idea" of people, he has far less desire to actually be around them. Neither of us have any respect for title or authority if you're still an idiot in spite of that authority. I give a little more consideration to the effects of my words or actions than he does (albeit, not a lot more). We both have twisted senses of humor, but he is a little more effective with his than I am. He will remain quiet in front of a new group of people until he has had sufficient time to size them up and analyze them, whereas I learn who and what they are by engaging them immediately. He's more than content to simply watch me do this for him. We have a lot in common, but just as much that is completely different. One little letter changes nearly everything, I've found.

·
Banned
541 Posts
@Kyle Looney, I definitely agree with the part about lying. INTP's tend to be pretty bad liars. Once an INTP buddy and I got caught by some police officers with weed, and he was fascinated at how quickly I was able to lie my way or of the situation. Whenever I tell him a story about how I get caught in bad situations and lie my way out of them, he always seems to be extremely amazed by how quickly I can come up with bullshit, but to me it's second nature.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea as to whether I'm one or the other. Some days I'm so introverted it's like I'm mute. Other days all I want to do is be the center of all the action.I dunno if that's extroverted or not, some input would totally help. and My Ne and Ti seem to be perfectly balanced, depending upon the situation, I switch between which one I use more. ah...I hate being on the fence. maybe its just that N kicking in, and being able to see how i could possible be either.

·
Banned
541 Posts
@DeductiveReasoner You seem more ENTP to me. The thing about ENTP's is that at the end of it all, we enjoy being the center of attention, we think we're awesome, and we want everyone to know it. Getting attention comes natural to us, though we definitely go on long stretches of not wanting to see/talk to anyone. Our Fe, while slightly repressed, is still tertiary, so we desire relationships with others, even if it isn't apparent at first.

The odd thing about INTP's is that they genuinely seem to not want attention. An INTP buddy of mine is hilarious, and he gets a ton of attention from people, but you get the sense that it all sort of 'annoys' him in a way. Like, once in high school to piss him off we got him nominated for prom king, and he actually got a lot of votes. He was a very well liked guy, by everyone, all the staff at our school loved him, I can't think of a single person that didn't, but oddly he seemed not to care at all. That's what I think people think is so cool about him. There's nothing cooler than not caring what anyone thinks, at all. An INTP's Fe is pretty hard to sense, you have to know them very well. Not to say they have bad intentions, they usually mean well, they just are in their heads so much that it never usually occurs to them to think about other people. I can usually tell an INTP just by the clothing that they're wearing. Their style looks 'deliberately lazy' like they are trying to look like they don't care about fashion, but it's still put together well. I can't really elaborate on this very much, but I grew up with an INTP and we were like the dynamic duo of our group of friend, we played off of each other very well, and many of the jokes we told seemed to go over everyone's head but ours.

You know Dave Chappelle? I've seen him commonly typed as an INFP, which I believe to be accurate, but I can't help but see some INTP in there. It's definitely there, he seems to be right on the border between F and T, that is INTP humor at it's finest. All the INTP's I know are verrry particular about the music they listen to as well. They seem like the most 'artistic' NT in my opinion, but in a very detached way.

·
Registered
I demand the return of the crazy face! :crazy:
2,051 Posts
Do you find it easier to perceive patterns external to you? Or do you find it easier to look within yourself?
(You will probably find both easy if you are close on E/I but one should come more naturally.)

If you are noticing tertiary development, you may be able to tell whether it's Fe or Si. You might also have dissonance between your auxiliary and tertiary functions, (or maybe that's just me). It might be harder to tell with perceiving functions in the middle.

(These questions aren't definitive...)

I am also an 'introverted extravert' and it took me a lot of time to figure out that social introversion does not define cognitive/MBTI introversion.

I am also a very good liar. <--- that could be a lie. :p

·
Banned
466 Posts
I think the difference lies in the use of the tertiary.
I'd say that's quite true. I can appreciate ENTPs as individuals, because they seem to mostly say what makes sense to them, rather than makes sense for everyone around them. But they seem far more capable with trusting and getting along with individuals, and I think Fe plays a huge part in this, way more than simply being an extrovert. Sometimes I feel like TiNeSi is a 3 pronged attack on every single experience I (INTP) ever encounter, trying to understand what's happening down to every last relevant detail. As an INTP even if you are Ne heavy you will still generally be filtering decisions through Ti which is so developed that it can be hard to socially acclimate your incoming comments. But for ENTPs they don't seem to be so worried about precision with their comments and don't obey Ti (like many INTPs) but rather abuse it when they need it because they're having too much fun with Ne to slow down and think. As well ENTPs have tertiary Fe which is really a big difference from the INTPs because once developed (I assume being extroverted would cause good developement in it over time) it can add charm and reassurance to an ENTP's smartass talk(In the best possible sense). I do appreciate tertiary Si for sure, it always brings up random facts to conversations that I'm surprised I can remember but I'm quite envious of tertiary Fe, mainly because I'm a social wreck.

But with all the differences between us, we still have common ground. Us xNTPs are probably having the most interesting experience as far as being spectators in this crazy place we call earth.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think ENTPs are a weird bunch when it comes to the extro/introvert thing... At work, I think most would be surprised to hear that I'm completely extroverted by nature. There, I tend to be very introverted. I find I just get along better with them if I'm quieter. But at the end of the day, I very much enjoy the limelight. I'm actually one of the more "feeling" ENTPs, I think. My brother is a lot more cold than I am emotionally.Interestingly, though, I think our leadership abilities and love for the spotlight can surprise even us. At one of my prior jobs, they ran us through a test designed to pick out the "leaders" in a group. We didn't know the experiment at the time, and at the end, they asked us to point to who we thought the leader was in our group. I pointed at who I thought it was, and was very surprised to see three people pointing back at me. A lot of the things we do are so instinctual that I don't think we realize we do them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you find it easier to perceive patterns external to you? Or do you find it easier to look within yourself?
(You will probably find both easy if you are close on E/I but one should come more naturally.)

If you are noticing tertiary development, you may be able to tell whether it's Fe or Si. You might also have dissonance between your auxiliary and tertiary functions, (or maybe that's just me). It might be harder to tell with perceiving functions in the middle.

(These questions aren't definitive...)

I am also an 'introverted extravert' and it took me a lot of time to figure out that social introversion does not define cognitive/MBTI introversion.

I am also a very good liar. <--- that could be a lie. :p
What do you mean by patterns? I'm a pattern-oriented person in general, always have been.

In posting this thread, you may have figured out that I'm playing around with the idea of possibly being an ENTP. I don't seem to be as introverted as ANY of the INTPs on this site. And I mean I know that type doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I just want to know. I also am aware that just because people on here fit a certain bill doesn't mean that's how it was intended, but what else do I have to compare myself to?

And cognitive functions + me = ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, erm, I'm quoting your post because it kind of identified what I sort of deal with or whatever. I am a good liar and I am good at lying my way out of trouble. It comes naturally. I don't necessarily always like to be the centre of attention but I do like to be near the attention and the action.

And before I say much else I should probably read the rest of my thread.

·
Registered
I demand the return of the crazy face! :crazy:
2,051 Posts
What do you mean by patterns? I'm a pattern-oriented person in general, always have been.
Yeah, pattern orientation makes sense for all NPs, Ne pattern recognition. Do you find that easier than looking within yourself? If you do, Ne is probably dominant over Ti = ENTP. (This may not be a reliable test, but it was definitely one of the first things that tipped me off to being E.)

(Personally I find it hard to figure this out without using the cognitive functions... but to each their own.)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, pattern orientation makes sense for all NPs, Ne pattern recognition. Do you find that easier than looking within yourself? If you do, Ne is probably dominant over Ti = ENTP. (This may not be a reliable test, but it was definitely one of the first things that tipped me off to being E.)

(Personally I find it hard to figure this out without using the cognitive functions... but to each their own.)
I don't understand the cognitive functions at all. I can take the tests but I don't truly know what each function does and how to know which I use more. And I just have no way to compare looking for patterns to introspective behaviour... although I suppose I do notice outward patterns more quickly than I notice patterns about myself.

I love being an INTP... I just don't particularly love being introverted, exactly... nor do I truly know if I am, considering all the other introverts I know have few friends and are content spending days locked in their house reading. Hell, I know an ENFP who is content doing that.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
@DeductiveReasoner You seem more ENTP to me. The thing about ENTP's is that at the end of it all, we enjoy being the center of attention, we think we're awesome, and we want everyone to know it. Getting attention comes natural to us, though we definitely go on long stretches of not wanting to see/talk to anyone.
I respect your opinion and input, but while i may seem attention seeking over the internet, IRL I actually try to avoid it usually, although that may have to do with the fact I'm still an awkward teenagers. I usually do stuff like dress in baggy clothes so no one comments on my "perfect" (yeah right) figure. Also, I can flirt to my heart's content, but once a guy ACTUALLy starts to like me, I start running in the other direction. emotional relationships scare the living shit outta me.

But hey, you may still be right. Like I said, I'm still in highschool, and God knows highschool fucks with people's heads worse than anything else.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My dad is an INTP and while we share a lot in common, think in a similar way and ponder about somewhat convergent things, our basic predisposition towards the outside social world is really apart. I always make fun of him for being so clueless in social settings, and it's true that while I'm not super outgoing, I can be turned on and drawn by my surroundings in ways that he cant.
I can definitely understand what it's like to be INTP, when I go into my withdrawn, thoughtful moods - which have been more and more recurrent throughout the years. My dad on the other hand seems to be like that close to 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dad is an INTP and while we share a lot in common, think in a similar way and ponder about somewhat convergent things, our basic predisposition towards the outside social world is really apart. I always make fun of him for being so clueless in social settings, and it's true that while I'm not super outgoing, I can be turned on and drawn by my surroundings in ways that he cant.
I can definitely understand what it's like to be INTP, when I go into my withdrawn, thoughtful moods - which have been more and more recurrent throughout the years. My dad on the other hand seems to be like that close to 99% of the time.
What do you get out of social settings that your dad doesn't? I'm not socially awkward or anything but random socialization doesn't really give me pleasure. It just makes me feel not alone and it gives me something to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What do you get out of social settings that your dad doesn't? I'm not socially awkward or anything but random socialization doesn't really give me pleasure. It just makes me feel not alone and it gives me something to do.
Yeah, I mean I think he feels the same way to a certain extent. What I was trying to say is not that he is socially awkward, in fact he can be quite pleasant and fun in social settings, but rather that he doesn't pick up on cues very well, like when someone is trying to engage in a conversation with him, when someone is lying or trying to rip him off, or when someone needs emotional comfort.
I certainly don't want to generalize, it is very possible that my dad is simply a special case of INTP.
Regardless, I've always greatly enjoyed the time I spend with him. No BS, no drama/unnecessary conflict, and interesting conversations every time we hang out.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts