Personality Cafe banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm an English major so yeah. My biggest problem is jumping from idea to idea, not surprisingly. One minute I'm working on a Batman comic, the next thing might be a story about if Peter Pan was evil, and who knows what's after that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I absolutely love to write! But I have the same problem; everything I start has a high probability of not getting finished. I've came to the conclusion that we're more "short story" type of writers.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have a fair amount of non-fiction in overseas magazines (and there are probably blogs and websites in the darker recesses of the internet); fiction (sketches and parodies) in student magazines; some short plays performed - and a lot of unfinished drafts (ranging from a couple of paragraphs to sixty pages or so). I'm also - not lazy, but I have too many ideas, and find it difficult to focus on just one; and I need an outside stimulus to write. (The stimuli are not always appropriate: exams - on Red Bull?) When I finally write a novel, I might adopt Douglas Adams's technique of stitching loosely connected scenes into a semi-coherent whole.

As a writer, my problems are:
I'm good at writing "clever" and "funny", but not so good at characterisation. Or, rather, normal, naturalistic characterisation. My characters tend to be vivid, larger than life, but also completely mad or exuberantly repellent. I think "I shall write something serious and profound!" - and end up writing comedy instead (although often with a satirical bite).
There's the besetting temptation to have fun, and to play with language and storytelling as an end in itself. (This can come across either as amusing or as self-indulgent.) Jouissance! And then I find myself in a sticky situation.
I suddenly realise that I'm writing in the style of Bloggs, or that I'm drawing my ideas and influences from other books, and so end up writing meta-fiction.
Oh, and schoolwork was undisciplined and wildly digressive, eclectic, 'self indulgent' (i.e., don't follow guidelines), and I treated assignments as a challenge. (The (ENFP?) teacher who suggested 'doing whatever makes you feel happy - write backwards if you like' spoke too soon.)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts