Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I am naturally a romantic sort of guy..in the sense, that when I fall in love with someone, I am absolutely devoted and committed to that person. I easily and willingly give up my own needs for her needs..I consider myself to be a strong person but I like the idea of a soulmate and having that special someone I really care about. It's more than just sex because there are plenty of women who I have slept with who I have absolutely no romantic feelings for..it's a very rare woman who can really touch my heart. I find that I am really into the intense emotional intimacy involved in a romantic relationship and am good at generating it with those I care about...sometimes, romantic, and others, platonic..but there's always that level of emotional depth which I feel comfortable exploring.

Essentially, I am very much in love now and have felt like this often in the past..which adds a bit of cynicism to it all.

Can my fellow ENTP bros relate?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
@BroNerd, yeah I've been there. Not there now though. Loyalty I have ... feelings, not so much. Not much interest in getting back there either though. I burnt out that portion of my psyche a long time ago.

Reactions: BroNerd

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
When I first saw the thread, I thought it was about romantic gestures, but it's about the acceptance of the emotional rawness and vulnerability that one feels in a relationship. It's interesting how this fits into the other thread going on now about avoidance. I think one of our bigger weaknesses is a desire for avoiding pain or weakness, and that this is probably the one area where I actually seek the discomfort actively. I know that dealing with women allows the possibility of pain, and that the greatest pleasure are the ones that are are on the far end of the pain branch, at the very tip of the discomfort tree.

Now that I think about it this way, facing up to love is in a sense even more Romantic (in the byronic sense) then even my belief in a pretty hopeless universe. That's kind of cool.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,856 Posts
90% of the time I'm emotionally removed and really don't give a shit, if it feels good I'll go with it if it doesn't I'll leave it, on the rare occasion when I do fall it's with complete devotion.

But as I'm single now, it has always ended so I'm never of the belief that the feeling will last, it's simply an emotion which I feel in a moment, I desire intense emotional intimacy as an experience, along with many other adventures in life.

Guess I'm a romantic cynic.

Reactions: BroNerd

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm fairly romantic, but I'm definitely the more serious (or dare I say masculine) in my lesbian INFJ-ENTP relationship. The thing about me is that I'm very into talking things through, telling her how much I love her or whatnot, and she's much more into subliminal clues. I guess it depends on what you find more romantic...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I find it rare that my attraction passes that much farther than the physical and sexual. When it does, however, I end up very committed and romantically-motivated. It's rare that that happens, however.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I'm not a bro, but I can completely relate. It is definitely something that doesn't happen often for me, and when it does it becomes almost obsessive...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mostly love is derived from chemicals in the brain, as everyone knows. These highs tend to lessen one's ability to be rational. Then one allows oneself to become vulnerable. Eventually, these chemicals wear off and both people are needlessly hurt and break up.

It's a choice, really... To believe there is this concept of everlasting love with a soul mate, or to believe it is all a matter of temporary chemistry. They both have their paths to demise.

The third choice is monogamy, where two devote themselves to each other entirely. Not certain this is functional any more. This is the obvious choice for a healthy individual. Problems with this are: potential infidelity, unwillingness to adapt and get along, and get through rough patches together.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm the outsider visiting, but here is my opinion. When two people are deeply in love, it makes logical sense for them to devote themselves to one another. Most people settle for the person that they don't love to settle down with, because it's more stable to feel in control.

Chances are, if you fall in love, the other person will chicken out. Monogamy, love, and devotion...it's too much for 99% of this species to handle. Having it all requires too much trust for emotional cowards.

Good for you if you can do it. Alot of guys cannot.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm all-or-nothing with a relationship. Unless I am capable of loving her selflessly, I don't feel I am carrying my share of the load in a relationship. My bond with a woman becomes Priority One, and I view us as a social entity with shared concerns- but that may be because I'm So dominant.

I don't do casual.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Lime, your Cognitive Functions are exactly the same as mine for the first 4 letters or so :O

Reactions: LimeDegree

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm fairly romantic, but I'm definitely the more serious (or dare I say masculine) in my lesbian INFJ-ENTP relationship. The thing about me is that I'm very into talking things through, telling her how much I love her or whatnot, and she's much more into subliminal clues. I guess it depends on what you find more romantic...
So you're in a classic T/F relationship? XD I know these well....grumble....Come to think of it, my last thing was also with an INFJ. And it was pretty similar to how you describe yours.

Anywho, I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. If I like a chick I'm a romantic sap. If I don't I'm outta there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
no sir. i think romantic stuff is cheesy. i would rather a dude have a good sense of humor.
buuut thats just me.

agree with psyphon on the whole loyalty thing. that, i know. but romance just doesnt cut it, not even if i really like the guy a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good relationships don't just happen, they take patience, hard work and two people who truly want to be together.
That being said, the perfect relation for me seems to be where i can be myself and my partner can be herself. No hip ties are necessary, knowing that you can count on that person whenever you want, doing things together of for each other or the priorities i guess.

So it is hard finding a person that is on the same level, but not imossible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts