Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do ENTPs give generous compliments or are they less than charitable ones.
I have an ENTP friend whom I showed a story I written, and the only thing he said was, "it was fine".
When I gave this story to other friends and family, they said they liked it; if there was anything wrong with it they were more than happy to point out any errors.
But this ENTP friend of mine just said, "it was fine" and just left it at that.
Do you, as an ENTP, think that he meant that it "was just fine" or he didn't want to give too many generous comments.
Also, do ENTPs in general like to give out compliments or are you hard to satisfy: and if you are satisfied, a subtle compliment (i.e. "it was tolerable"/"it was fine") is given and not an overly generous one (i.e. "that was the best thing I ever saw!").

note: the examples are polarized and generalized, but I think they convey the gist of what I'm saying.

edit: my ENTP friend is also very competitive and wants to be a writer... I'm mentioning it just in case it may change the outcome of anyone's answer

·
Registered
138 Posts
My INFJ boyfriend showed me some of his creative writing months ago for the first time and all I could muster was...

'Yeah, no, these are good!' - that was literally it.

*face-palm*

I was being sincere - they were excellently written - although I had no interest in the topic/subject of them - which is probably what made me hold back from 'gushing' about his literary talents lol Perhaps I felt more like I proof-read and checked for grammatical errors and good use of vocabulary etc than REALLY read the writing for what it really was... Internally I was just thinking, 'He's literate, that's a relief..' - had he of been illiterate, it would've been a deal breaker and he'd never have been promoted to boyfriend status...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Compliments are pointless. It's just made up shit to boost someone's ego. "It was fine" is a fairly good compliment. I'd probably have said "Good" if I liked it, though.

You having not complimented my work highly would have made me less likely to support yours.

Reactions: tzenbot150

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
"It was fine" is a good indication that the writing is technically good and made sense. But if he didn't gush, then he probably wasn't emotionally stirred or stimulated by the story.

You'll know it when someone is moved by your story. When I saw The Matrix for the first time, I was gushing and wanted to compliment and chat with the creators about their work.

·
Registered
856 Posts
"It was fine" is a good indication that the writing is technically good and made sense. But if he didn't gush, then he probably wasn't emotionally stirred or stimulated by the story.

You'll know it when someone is moved by your story. When I saw The Matrix for the first time, I was gushing and wanted to compliment and chat with the creators about their work.
I just want to share that seeing "[ENTP] ENTPs and Compliments by Magnificent Bastard" just made my day.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not usually.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I prefer to give straight to the point, constructive observations, over compliments. They may come off as compliments if I like something enough ... but they aren't intended that way. I''m really just trying to express that whatever that person did was functional towards their ends.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
We generally give better than we accept, I have noticed.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I dont think ENTPs have a problem giving compliments; at least we dont have a problem with the idea of giving compliments. I think @ENTPickle nailed it when explaining the fact that its really hard to muster enthusiasm when we have no connection or interest in the subject. Its like trying to get me to enjoy The Neverending Story. Or Newsies. I'll watch it, I may not even hate it, I may even be able to complement something on it. But dont expect enthusiasm.

I prefer to give straight to the point, constructive observations, over compliments. They may come off as compliments if I like something enough ... but they aren't intended that way. I''m really just trying to express that whatever that person did was functional towards their ends.
Agree. I really dont see a point in saying ANYTHING that is not specific. And i dont mean rambling. If i apologize, i say specifically what I am sorry for. If i compliment, I endeavor to do the same. Otherwise what use is my saying anything? Ego boost? In the long run, the only real ego boost success that comes from appreciation of well done work, and vague complements are not going to help you toward that end.

·
Registered
138 Posts
edit: my ENTP friend is also very competitive and wants to be a writer... I'm mentioning it just in case it may change the outcome of anyone's answer
I had to LOL at this.

Sure, there may be a bit of a competitiveness there - but... in my case, I give credit where credit is due. Even if someone else's work was 'technically' better, I'd still think my stuff was the shit (ego), so much so, I wouldn't let it cloud my ability to give said credit IF it was due.

In the case of my the stuff my BF showed me, he hadn't grabbed me by the title and thus, it didn't really matter how good the writing was in itself, I couldn't just couldn't bring myself to 'gush' about it.

Note to INFJs who intend to show their GF's their literary master-pieces: Never show you current ENTP GF a piece of writing about un-requited love involving another woman when said GF will know it's about the girl from the previous year *yaaaaawn* Get over it mate lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I keep my compliments short. And when I do compliment, they are always sincere. Always.
Over-complimenting just builds up another's ego. We can't have that now, can we?

·
Registered
386 Posts
When people that I know hand over any of their work over to me to examine, I go the full nine yards. Beginning with grammar, I then move to repetitious material, then it's on to the real meat. Regarding their actual conveyance of thought, I begin focusing on any concept or description that I felt was done really well. I try to always find the best of their efforts to highlight. My observations are all centered on the use of language, not on whether or not I'm interested in the topic of their work.

Edit: I'm probably way more inclined to offer a review because of my extensive history of book reading.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I feel insulted when someone compliments me, as if its a snarky backhand. I don't respond well to symptomatic "Fe-ness" well, but will take criticism better (if it isn't intended to make me feel like shit).

No, seriously, if someone tells me I'm smart, I'll usually take a defensive stance! I am never fully satisfied even though like all ENTPs, possess a bit of an ego.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say you shouldn't worry about it.

"It was fine" could actually mean that it was fine - nothing stands out as problematic, but there's nothing much that your friend feels he has to add or finds particularly interesting.

Alternately, "It was fine" could mean "I didn't like it, but I think you'll take any criticism I give you very personally and I don't want to deal with the fallout." If that's the case, that's about as considerate as ENTPs can get sometimes.

It's best to just forget about it. Odds are, you're reading way too much into it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it's something I'm knowledgeable about I can go pretty in-depth with criticism and compliments, as @LimeDegree so skillfully conveyed. Or, out of boredom, I can just say it's fine and move on with my life.

I think, as ideas-oriented people, we become adept at sorting out 1) the good from the bad and 2) the great from the good (which is often simply the difference between something being 90% there and 95% there, a B vs. an A). If I see something I think is an A, I won't shut up about it. If I see something I think is a B, I'll say it was good but that it didn't "speak to me." Getting that extra 5-10% is hard, and it doesn't always involve being technically perfect; if a vocalist starts crying during a personally meaningful portion of the song and misses a few notes, what the hell does it matter? S/he created a memorable, powerful emotional moment = A.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I give honest compliments, and I love to give them. I have trouble receiving compliments, actually. not that I don't love getting complimented, I just feel awkward accepting them. um, but to me, just saying "it's fine" reads to me as "didn't really like it, but I don't want to offend you". that's just me, though. when saying something negative I'll give it some padding, cause I don't want to make someone feel bad. when I really like something I'll be really enthusiastic, I love to praise others, like if they drew a really cool picture, or wore something really cute

·
Registered
953 Posts
I tend to hold out on compliments. When I say something good about someone to them, it is more an observation than me trying to make them feel good. Same with criticism.

People who tell fat girls they're hot are just insincere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts