Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while i read that ENTPs are described as witty clowns.
I tend to make jokes all the time but they are so very dry and subtle that most people don't even get them. yesterday a friend even said i was so "serious" which i almost took as an insult. i actually am a very cynical person but i hardly take anything "seriously" but except for my jokes i am painfully direct.
i asked myself what kind of humor is meant in those descriptions and what kind of humor other ENTPs use and if it is used to make a point or just for personal enjoyment . (actually this matter is very serious to me). so just tell me what you find funny, and maybe others types who read that ,too so i can compare :D

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I make a lot of subtle jokes as well, but I also make a fair amount of straight out in the open jokes.

Most people don't catch my jokes and I have been considered an asshole for it, when I meant nothing bad at all.

I do a fair bit of insult humor, and I "always have a fucking comment on everything" according to a friend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can relate and have been called serious too. Maybe it springs from my humour being typically dark and subdued at some times, annoying and provoking at others, and quite politically incorrect in most of them...

·
Registered
314 Posts
My humor tends to rely a lot on metaphors and references. sarcasm I don't really good because it's so easy. I definitely have a dark and perverse sense of humor as well as a love of the absurd. I like pushing ideas to their furthest comedic limits until the end is so completely bizarre. I have 2 friends from college - one INTJ the other ISTJ - and this is pretty much all we do, who can stretch the idea the furthest. one practical example is a "bean dip" war that we are currently fighting :laughing:

·
Registered
314 Posts
it's basically who can bring the bean dip with the most layers to the hostess' party.I'm currently the record holder with a vat of 15 layer bean dip ....let's just say the after results of all that fiber+sour cream+cheese = none of us wanting to tempt the intestinal gods by going further than 15 layers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is an example of what I joke about. I am in the army so there are a billion rules. I constantly mock them and one of favorites was this policy that made soldiers attach a lanyard, which is a chord to their pistol, to their belt because they claim it prevents us from dropping and losing the pistol. Which is absurd because I would hear it drop and the holster locks it in place anyways.

So, I put on the lanyard and let the pistol drag behind me and I walked past my coworkers. When they looked at me, I picked the pistol up and acted like I didn't even know I had it in the first place. They got the joke and thought it was pretty funny.

Personanongrata, I also get called serious, especially by people who aren't in my close circle. I think that is just how people perceive rationals. But my humor is very dry and sarcastic as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My teacher called me a "little ray of sunshine" because I was talking about how a stuffed animal was already dead since it was stuffed, therefor, it couldn't die.

Reactions: malphigus

·
Registered
479 Posts
I approach humor in a lot of different ways...if someone says something stupid or words it weirdly I often have a sarcastic comeback and am frequently labelled bitchy. I use metaphors a lot as well. I think most ENTPs have a tendency to find humor in anything, and often at inappropriate times, but I don't really care what's life without laughter?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm usually pretty effervescent, though I can turn on the serious if need be. I make tons of jokes, from blatant sexual ones to really subtle academic ones that go unnoticed.

Do any other ENTPs find humor to be streaky though? I'll be really on one day and then... it's gone the next.
I'll have days where it's just pun after pun, but I wouldn't say I have any "off" days, it just returns back to normal.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Yes, tdm, I can be entertaining all night. Then let off a stiffy, and it just sucks.

A lot of ENTP humor is hard to understand if you aren't one, or do not know how we work.

Too much sarcasm and jokes that only make sense to you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Person, puns are a huge thing with NTPs. I'd say that "non-stop pun machine" is a pretty good pegging trait for an NTP. Also, I think I just realized tonight that one of my female friends from college is an ENTP, which is totally sweet. I always knew I had a good reason for liking her :laughing: She's funny as hell too.

Scruffs, I've learned to not tell most of the jokes I think of, unless I'm in the company of Ns I know well. I like standard jokes, but there's a whole other area of stuff I laugh at that other people just don't find any humor in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha....well i am a non stop joke machine by instinct, but they can be part of being serious, and go totally unnoticed....i tend to have a very strong gallow humor when i am serious.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I do a good bit of insult humor, racial jokes, and sarcasm

I have a pretty good group of friends at school who take my insults pretty well, for example:

We were all looking at the periodic table of elements and I stumbled upon an abbreviation of Bi, I point it out to the guys and I go "Theres Keaton's favorite element." (Keaton was one of my friends at the table)

My favorite type of humor though is racial, I am not racist but the jokes are funny as hell.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My ENTP son is gut-busting funny. I've had harder laughs with him than anyone else in the world. He can take every day situations and make them into hilarious stories. His one-liners are humorous as well. On his good days, he lives to make people laugh. Quick, witty, lots of fun. Bad days are a completely different, opposite story.

He also has a cutting humor which can be insulting if you don't know him well. Most people either love him or hate him, depending upon what he wants them to do. I love him all the time, but there are times when I REALLY don't like him.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
My ENTP friend is the funniest person I know. He can make a joke out of anything. Anything. Plenty of people don't get how he can find some of the things he finds funny funny. He doesn't care if it's weird or offensive or complete nonsense, it's all funny to him. 99% of what he jokes about is funny to me too.

He has the ability to cross completely unrelated concepts to make new jokes that can sometimes be intellectually challenging but incredibly funny if you're on the right wavelength. He sometimes does it in front of people who cannot follow his train of thought, and he can sometimes be incredibly mean to people's faces in the funniest ways and they don't even notice. There have been a number of times where he's done this against people who have hurt my feelings, which has made me feel protected and cheered me up at the same time, so I don't care that it's mean.

I find I have to be careful sometimes though. His girlfriend is an ISFx, and sometimes when I get into that groove with him where we keep stretching the joke out further and further, she gets left behind. Before I know it I'm suggesting that he should try having sex with twin midgets so that he can tell me whether it counts as a threesome or not, and she's looking at me very dubiously...

Reactions: CJ99

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'm great with Puns, I'm great with Sarcasm.... my humour is very dark or very weird. Plus I see things that other people don't and will just burst out laughing and not tell people why I find something funny.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Kinda weird posting as an ENTP now, but anywho. Here's a joke that I've been telling people recently, and it makes me crack up every time:

A giant panda has dinner at a restaurant. He eats his meal, and the waiter comes with the bill. Instead of paying, he takes out a machine gun and shoots several rounds into the ceiling. The waiter exclaims, "Just who do you think you are?" The giant panda takes out a dictionary and throws it at the waiter. "Look it up," he says and runs out the door. The waiter looks up giant panda, and next to the word it says "eats shoots and leaves."

How's that for a pun :laughing: Anywho, in terms of humor in general, I'm allwaayys making jokes. I feel like one of my major contributions to social situations is making people laugh. I'd say I'm pretty good at it too.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You had me giggle under my breath but no full laughter :p

I'll tell you what else I find funny... comment sections on technology blogs. :O Geeks have the best humor ever!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts