Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which types do you guys prefer to bunk with, or do you prefer to bunk alone?

What aspects of a living arrangement contribute the most toward your happiness? Productivity?

I don't like roommates or living partners who are in denial of their habits/priorities. I can let things go when I'm stressed out, but all messes (presuming food isn't involved, which will get taken care of in shorter order) are allowed an average maximum life span of only two weeks. When two weeks have passed I just can't put off setting to work anymore. The thing is, I actually hate cleaning. I hate everything about it--I internalize a lot of social pressure re: cleanliness that affects me when I go about doing it, and it's just not something I like to do all the time because cleaning is actually more stressful for me than letting things build up a little before I attend to them.

That said, I don't mind messy roommates provided things don't get disastrous, and I don't mind fastidiously clean ones either provided any unspoken rules are laid out for me so I can reasonably adhere to them and prevent friction. What I don't like is when a messy roommate impulsively decides to "fix his/her life" by running a Clorox wipe over a few things in a room otherwise caked in filth and then pressures me to do the same. (laughs) I've actually been contemplating seeking a solitary living situation, but I wonder if it might get too lonely. What do the ENTPs who live alone think? Is it better or worse in the long run?

And which living arrangements have seemed like a brilliant idea until they proved catastrophic? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. find a solitary living arrangement
2. populate it with a boyfriend or a girlfriend
3. ?????
4. profit
If ????? = someone else making me pancakes, I'm down.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
????? is the mystery step :happy: so it can be whatever your imagination desires, pancakes certainly not excluded xD
Yes! A mystery, all right!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ugh, I can't take living with people who try to pressure me into cleaning my desk. I'm going to live with a cleaning-obsessed ESTJ next year, and we've come to the agreement that she'll let my desk be as cluttered as I want it to be as long as I keep the floor clean for her to vacuum during her 3-times-a-week-vacuum-cleaning and as long as I don't make the rest of the house into a pigsty.

Or, actually, I can take living with any kind of people as long as they keep their cleaning habits to their rooms. The 'general' rooms, like the living room, kitchen and bathroom, should be kept neither obsessively clean nor messy, just an acceptable in-between.

Ooh, pancakes. I'm down with vel's idea, but I'm changing the mystery step into "someone making me good food, period" instead of just pancakes xD

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have loved people I couldn't live with, and people have loved me who couldn't live with me.

I would say I'm not a clean freak. Moderate dust and disorder don't bother me much. Right now my kitchen counter is covered with documents and folders for a court case I have coming up soon and has been for the last week. My car's passenger-side footwell is a garbage container for me, emptied about once a week. I am equally tolerant of other people who are a bit messy-but I have limits, and I found them with my second wife. There were other issues, but when she wouldn't empty her ashtrays or collect any of her dirty laundry or used feminine products, I kind of lost my mind.

In my first marriage I was the slob, but my ESTJ wife's demands were pretty strict. A crumpled paper towel left on the kitchen counter brought a strong rebuke.

I'm pretty happy alone, actually. . . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't deal with living alone. Ugh, never again. I need at least one roommate around and prefer a houseful. The benefits of communal living far outweigh the potential clashes and annoyances (for me, anyway). Even the prospect of shacking up with just my girlfriend in a year or so gives me pause. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I don't mind disorder as long as 1) you can walk around with only minor acrobatics and 2) things get at least 80% cleared up at least every couple of weeks. Then again, I've usually lived in places with a female majority: it seems like women can be disorganized and chaotic, but they rarely let things get truly disgusting.

Living with neat freaks can be way more stressful than with messy people. One of my two roommates last year (very ISFJ) would passive-aggressively wash dishes, which made me at least as crazy as it made her. I'm a classic ENTP; I only do routine household things out of very tangible, immediate guilt and/or when I've let them pile up enough that they become a logistical problem. It would have been useful to have several more people in the house as a buffer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I limit the mess to my room. Generally, this doesn't cause any problems... so long as I have my own room.

Honestly, If there are people who clean like they have a disorder, I avoid cleaning like I have a disorder.

(I have over 3 weeks worth of clean underwear)

If I can't see it when I'm working, it won't bother me.
Cleaning my desk consists of putting crap I don't need for what I'm doing somewhere else.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've never lived alone for any significant period of time, but its awesome and I don't see it getting old. If I want to see people, I can go out. If don't want to see people, I don't have to. Awesome.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have roommates. No, literally. ROOM mates.

Where I live, it's $900/month to share a ROOM with roommates. Not sharing apartment - literally a room.

To have your own room, $1200.

To have your own place, $2000/month for a 1 bedroom studio.

Dorm rooms in college are $2500 a month. Fucking outrageous.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(I have over 3 weeks worth of clean underwear)
Man. Jealous...

I have roommates. No, literally. ROOM mates.

Where I live, it's $900/month to share a ROOM with roommates. Not sharing apartment - literally a room.

To have your own room, $1200.

To have your own place, $2000/month for a 1 bedroom studio.

Dorm rooms in college are $2500 a month. Fucking outrageous.
Jesus! Where you live

Essentially it comes down to, don't live with an SJ and everything else works out well enough!
Aw... I don't know if that's fair... ;)

lol give them MBTI test before moving in
I can see the Craigslist ad now. College age female ENTP seeking female XNXP of sim. years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man. Jealous...

Jesus! Where you live

Aw... I don't know if that's fair... ;)

I can see the Craigslist ad now. College age female ENTP seeking female XNXP of sim. years.
Oh, by all means live with SJs. Just... know that they're SJs before you go in, right? I think if we had been aware of how differently we deal with things we could have made it work a little more smoothly.

In all seriousness, asking for a potential roommate's MBTI actually sounds like a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts