Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we were talking over at the HP thread and it got me thinking that apparently I'm not the only one who despises main characters/protagonist in books and series. I don't think it would be fair to include films since you don't get to see the development nor you get attached with the characters as much as in books and series (simply due to more exposure).
So. Do you usually hate/dislike/dispise main characters, the protagonist? Why do you think it is?

I can count with the fingers in one hand the ones I really like. Actually I just can think of one lol
and I can think of many that I reaaaaaaally dislike, Harry from the books with his same name or Jack Shepard from Lost as the most important examples.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I say it depends on the genre. If you're talking about the average fantasy book/series (dont get me started on romance) I will probably dislike the protagonist. It's not that I despise them, but they tend to annoy me with their flat moral and bravery. They are supposed to be relatable but thats what makes them so tiring. I will dislike characters like, lets say Harry Potter and Ted Mosby, but will somehow grow unhealthily attached to Hannibal Lecter and eventually start to like Henry Chinaski, who isnt that charming as an protagonist.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
For me it's mostly deep disliking. A few examples include Harry Potter as discussed. Lately I've mostly had to read books for my English literature class and I despise the protagonists from 1984 by George Orwell, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (eww to the book btw), Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro and Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood. The only novel I've read recently where I actually like the protagonist is The Stranger by Albert Camus but that is simply because Meursault's emotional detachment is sort of relatable from an ENTP perspective despite the character probably being an ISTJ himself.

When it comes to series, I usually always hate the main characters. Lets take Piper from Orange is the New Black as an example. Or Serena from Gossip Girl which I used to watch very passionately a few years ago.

I think these are due to the main characters made relatable to most readers/watchers, whereas ENTPs tend to think quite differently. Especially the females who often do not adhere to the common expectations that "define" femininity.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think I am the only one that preferred Miranda from Sex and the City but hated Carrie. Miranda is probably an ENTJ, it seems most female lawyers I know are, so I think it is because I can relate to her better. I had to laugh when she went on her honeymoon out in the middle of nowhere in the woods and was complaining that all Steve wants to do is have sex and cuddle in bed and she was going stir crazy.

I like the Stephanie Plum mystery novels (bubble gum reading but enjoyable) but do not care much for Stephanie herself. It is the other characters that make the books fun.

The main clone, Sarah, is my least favorite clone in Orphan Black (Cosima the lesbian scientist is my favorite).

In general though, I hate watching/reading characters that make obviously dumb decisions and then complain about the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Off the top of my head, I think the reason we don't particularly like main characters is because they are very emotionally-driven. By that I mean that, as readers, we are shown their thought processes and raw feelings that impact the choices they make (which they typically regret or struggle to follow through with). And as Geonerd said, it is frustrating to watch any character make a remarkably stupid decision. Thus, as rational thinkers ourselves, we may (or at least I personally) find it hard to sympathize with the character's irrational or emotional choice.

Despite understanding why they feel compelled to act in a certain manner, I just struggle to understand how they so miserably failed to see how their excited or impassioned, rash decision is only short term or will inevitably blow up in their face.

I remember hating the Hunger Games so much I refused to finish reading the series...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am the only one that preferred Miranda from Sex and the City but hated Carrie. Miranda is probably an ENTJ, it seems most female lawyers I know are, so I think it is because I can relate to her better. I had to laugh when she went on her honeymoon out in the middle of nowhere in the woods and was complaining that all Steve wants to do is have sex and cuddle in bed and she was going stir crazy.
Nop, you're not the only one hahahahaha I adore Miranda, I can relate to most of how she behaves (oh, poor Steve) and I've never understood nor liked Carrie.

Reactions: Geonerd

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
FitzChivalry Farseer is one dense motherfucker. Rand al'Thor is infuriatingly stupid at times. Half the characters in asoiaf are disgustingly aggravating.

But i dont hate any of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only reason I even read Harry Potter is because I was obsessed with the Marauders I didn't really care for harry and his adventure as much as I did to the 4 tricksters terrorizing Hogwarts and how their friendship ended in tragedy. I don't despise the main characters but I got so absorbed with the background characters it's like the main doesn't even matter anymore, even if the background character barely has any lines I will start thinking up a whole scenario in which they are the main character and it keeps going on and it fuels me to actually finish the series. It happens almost every time, I do end up liking the main character eventually but not as much as the background character

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason I even read Harry Potter is because I was obsessed with the Marauders I didn't really care for harry and his adventure as much as I did to the 4 tricksters terrorizing Hogwarts and how their friendship ended in tragedy. I don't despise the main characters but I got so absorbed with the background characters it's like the main doesn't even matter anymore, even if the background character barely has any lines I will start thinking up a whole scenario in which they are the main character and it keeps going on and it fuels me to actually finish the series. It happens almost every time, I do end up liking the main character eventually but not as much as the background character
I was obsessed with the Marauders as well. It would have been amazing to read more about them!

Reactions: aswanisonfire

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
For me I dislike protagonists that are either waaaaay too emotionally driven or are martyrs without a cause.
Examples of too emotionally driven: Clary from Mortal Instruments, Harry Potter (I still rooted for him, but didn't really care for him personally), Katniss (girl is a thinker, but she's constantly making emotional decisions because of the situation).
Martyrs without a cause: Tris from Divergent (don't even get me started on her-why did she do what she did again???), Frodo (Samwise was far superior).

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
The villain in Kingsman :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts