Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to meditate, but I can never do it. I feel like it is impossible for me to not think of anything. The harder I try not to think of anything, the more thoughts keep flowing in. Whether it's real life stressful thoughts or random intrusive thoughts that are just there to bug me...I cannot for the life of me meditate correctly, and it always puts me in a state of anxiety.

Is this normal for ENTPs?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It’s normal for anyone, when beginning to learn meditation, to have difficulty clearing their minds. It’s a skill that takes time and practice.

Sometimes it’s easier to meditate to repetitive/soothing tunes, because it gives you something to bring your focus back to when your mind begins to wander. If music is too distracting, then bring your focus back to your breathing instead. Eventually you’ll get the hang of it. It’s largely a matter of patience and persistence.

Personally, I find early mornings easier to meditate than later at night. I’ve had limited stimulation, so my thoughts aren’t jumping all over the place as much, and I’m feeling more analytical. I find analytical thoughts are a little easier to shut down the intrusive, curious, Ne-driven thoughts that just explode into existence.

Also, nighttime attempts tend to just result in falling asleep lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've always wanted to meditate, but I can never do it. I feel like it is impossible for me to not think of anything. The harder I try not to think of anything, the more thoughts keep flowing in. Whether it's real life stressful thoughts or random intrusive thoughts that are just there to bug me...I cannot for the life of me meditate correctly, and it always puts me in a state of anxiety.

Is this normal for ENTPs?
Bro, you're thinking about yoga.
In yoga, you have to clear your mind in order to be yoked with other more metaphysical stuff.
Meditating isn't Yoga.

The latin root of MEDITATE can be seen in MEDIT, Me Dit < in french, that means "I tell myself".
Meditating is speaking to one self.
Organizing thoughts, validating them, finding out where you stand after receiving a lot of information in order to be more grounded in future decisions.
With Ti, you may not know it, but you have meditated many times.
You can become much better at it.
It requires to be alone and have a purpose in mind. I would suggest you don't use music, but that may be just my experience.
Meditating is vital, so much that if I were president, I'd make it illegal not to do so at least weekly.

However, if you really want to practice the mind clearing thing... good luck! Ne-Ti?
Forget it. Unless you use drugs, you're not gonna get your mind to be blank. Doesn't matter how hard you consciously try. I have tried it before. NOPE.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's what happened to me. I used to tell people that telling me not to think is like telling me to stop breathing. Anyways I don't view meditation as trying to stop thinking anymore. If you tell someone to not think about "polar bears" all they can usually think about are those damn polar bears. There's studies on this. I don't remember why. Look up the polar bear thought experiment if you're interested. Anyways, I now view it as just observing my thoughts. I don't need to try to stop them because the more I try to the worst my brain gets. Instead its just trying to observe the traffic from a bird's eye view and focus on breathing adequately. It has a calming effect on me seeing as it puts me to sleep half the time. lol. After a while though, it trained my brain to slow things down. I stop doing it for a while now but I should probably see about doing that again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mindfulness meditation is what you're looking for.

You are supposed to let the thought occur and let it go. So your mind is allowed a state of flux while relaxing it at the same time. Alot focusing techniques are focusing on relaxing various parts of the body.

I prefer the one where you block out all thoughts, probably because I learned it first. In that, I focus on nothing and whenever a thought occurs, I cut it off midway; I interrupt the thought and let it go. Then let my mind sink into oblivion.

You just need practice grasshopper.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I actually did some yoga tonight...I followed along on youtube, and i quite enjoyed it. I think yoga is more what I need actually because my body definitely needs to relax and it needs to stretch. I think I might do this every day.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Lol i actually do that. XD like stop thinking... NOW. XD

I always put on my observant mode. When you're on your observant mode: you can actually jk. XD i can still think lol

But meditation is actually pretty cool just focus. You need to focus. Watch good meditation videos. It will help

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Mindfulness meditation is what you're looking for.

You are supposed to let the thought occur and let it go. So your mind is allowed a state of flux while relaxing it at the same time. Alot focusing techniques are focusing on relaxing various parts of the body.

I prefer the one where you block out all thoughts, probably because I learned it first. In that, I focus on nothing and whenever a thought occurs, I cut it off midway; I interrupt the thought and let it go. Then let my mind sink into oblivion.

You just need practice grasshopper.
Omggg! I'm actually doing mindfulness. I thought it's just activating Se+Ti lololol

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol i actually do that. XD like stop thinking... NOW. XD

I always put on my observant mode. When you're on your observant mode: you can actually jk. XD i can still think lol

But meditation is actually pretty cool just focus. You need to focus. Watch good meditation videos. It will help

If I pratice this and get good at it will you actually be able to see my spine through my body like that?

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
If I pratice this and get good at it will you actually be able to see my spine through my body like that?
Wahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!! I actually did not check the video but man lololololol. XD that was hilarious lol why is the spine outside lolololol it's like a big dick of bones for me lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!! I actually did not check the video but man lololololol. XD that was hilarious lol why is the spine outside lolololol it's like a big dick of bones for me lol
I know, it's honestly...it's too much for me. Speaking of it being a "dick of bones", if you look at it, it reaches right to where her lips are at. Just look at her...she's looking right at the viewer with this intense stare like "yeah...this is where I want it".

But maybe we're wrong. Maybe it's not about sex at all. Perhaps she practices yoga so much that she has literally forced her spine outside of her body and doing this has caused her to reach new levels of total awareness.

Hm...

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
I know, it's honestly...it's too much for me. Speaking of it being a "dick of bones", if you look at it, it reaches right to where her lips are at. Just look at her...she's looking right at the viewer with this intense stare like "yeah...this is where I want it".

But maybe we're wrong. Maybe it's not about sex at all. Perhaps she practices yoga so much that she has literally forced her spine outside of her body and doing this has caused her to reach new levels of total awareness.

Hm...
It's hot though.. But wait... You're not a real entp!!! Debunked! Ha!!! XD

I'm just testing you!!

Penises are made out of blood not bones!!

Tsk. Debunked. ... ┐(-。ー;)

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Or maybe you don't have penis that's why you didn't know..

Oh sorry.. It must be hard to only have a clit like penis. Do you use two fingers when you rub it?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's hot though.. But wait... You're not a real entp!!! Debunked! Ha!!! XD

I'm just testing you!!

Penises are made out of blood not bones!!

Tsk. Debunked. ... ┐(-。ー;)
You got me. I really fell for that one...it hurt too because my floor is made out of concrete. Now I wonder...will you hit me when I'm down? Are you sadistic or empathetic?

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
You got me. I really fell for that one...it hurt too because my floor is made out of concrete. Now I wonder...will you hit me when I'm down? Are you sadistic or empathetic?
I love being sadist ヘ(__ヘ)☆\(^^;)

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
Haha - I love ENTPs!

I have a hard time clearing my mind, but I've started using this app on my phone called Buddhify and it is guided meditation. I use it to fall asleep or to destress etc. and it is amazing. You can choose how long you want the program to be etc. It is really helpful at any rate. When I am not using guided I do breathing exercises and they actually really help me to detach and just stop thinking and also get into a crazy state.

I can't do yoga because of low blood pressure, but for those who can - way to go:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts