Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a very well developed sense of morality that you stand behind and is unwavering? I find that my beliefs and values aren't very well developed and that my sense of right and wrong is slightly askew (by most people's standards) because of it. Just curious if any of you other ENTP's understand where I'm coming from.

1,162 Posts
I tend to go by my theory of What Is Right (notably: don't be a dick, there are a few corollaries to this like "don't interfere with anybody's right to self determination as long as they're not harming others" and "trolling should expose bullshit for what it is, not hurt vulnerable people"), outside that I don't really care what people do. The funny thing is that depending on who I'm with and what's happening, that can come across as smugly moralistic or as completely carefree and amoral.

1,162 Posts
But honestly? My motivations are pretty pragmatic. The reasoning behind what I believe in and do had to do with figuring out what I want from life and what I can do to make mine flow more smoothly. It's easier to deal with people honestly and openly and expect the same in return than to go with whatever seems like a good idea at the time and get sucked in to performing in somebody else's drama circus.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Values? ENTPs dont have those. We may or maynot have an internal judgement system for our actions, far from morality. But values? Nah.

1,162 Posts
Values? ENTPs dont have those. We may or maynot have an internal judgement system for our actions, far from morality. But values? Nah.
Values? What's that, something edible?

Reactions: Tzara

·
Registered
656 Posts
My moral code is to don't kill or intentionally hurt anyone. If someone tries to hurt me or my friends I have to defend. Most other things can be rationalized. For instance, if someone saw a prostitute I would not judge them negatively even though technically prostitution is illegal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't automatically tell what's right and wrong. I don't have a strong sense of values, really. It doesn't matter.
The only actual rules I set up for myself is don't hurt people, don't kill people, and don't be intentionally mean to people. It depends on the situation for everything else.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We have values, but unlike Fi types they are often times "malleable" depending on the situation. Most Fi types will never budge on an issue they've already predetermined as wrong or immoral, whereas we might analyze the situation and look at the specifics and decide it's actually okay.

However, I have an extremely strong view of what I deem to be injustice. If I or somebody I know is wronged it really drives me up the wall and I have to retaliate, be it in subtle or direct way.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got only one, loyalty (but it's very restricted to a few people). After, when my interest is in balance, it goes first, unless it can lead me to problem, or make people feel I'm unreliable. I don't think in term of good, or bad, just in term of benefit. Acting bad may lead to problems, but in some other place, the benefit is superior to the problem... Then.. You know.
I've no problem with morality, I don't care of it. I've got a very skilled aptitude to forgive myself, and very quickly.

And all that leads me to a problem. It's very hard for me to feel compassionate.. And my friends see it. I'm never.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I don't know about values, but maybe just cuz of the term, but by God I do have principles. There are some things one just doesn't do. If I get cheated on for example, or someone tries to screw me on a business contract. Now could there be redefining of "cheating" or even having some form of an open relationship? Sure, but those rules need to be laid out beforehand.

When dealing with ethical quandaries, it's on a case-by-case basis.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My perception of what is right and wrong is often unconventional, but what I believe, I believe to my very bones and it's absolutely unwavering. I am very willing to suffer a little for them.

For instance, if the truth is going to get me in trouble, but a lie would get me off the hook, I'm still going to tell the truth because I hate lying whether it's myself or someone else doing it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very situational morals, kinda consequentialist if driven to extremes.

Though I do like arguing from non-cognitivist standpoint, specifically moral nihilistic.

There are 3 main values that I just snap to: freedom and justice. Not exactly meticulous and nitpicking justice, but some kind of equality/balance. And freedom similar to modern world: "You have right except for the one's that break other's rights."

Last one is advancement/progress, though in most human way.

But then again it is pretty negotiable. (and a lot of these are pretty subjective terms)

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Ti morals- sorry, Categorical imperative bro.
I wouldn't do something that doesn't make sense. Such as killing a person because they killed someone, the logical thing to do would be to kill myself based on that reasoning because I would have killed somebody.
I'm pretty moral sense wins anyway, you don't need a system.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm just joking. But I firmly believe karma is real. What goes around comes around. You've never been on the receiving end of it? It's like getting slapped in the face by life.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't have values or principles. If I were forced to consider vague ideas of Good Things by which I live my life, they would be curiosity, creativity, intellectual inquiry, willingness to improve the self and society.

I also absolutely cannot stand putting people down without warrant. Manipulation and deceit aren't moral "problems" as much as the direct act of bringing someone down, designed to humiliate someone.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I absolutely disagree with the classic ENTP line that they are too flippant or self-interested for values. I am nothing if not a seeker after wisdom and to me that means a deep and abiding passion for pursuit of objective moral truths.

ENTPs are visionaries and they found that visionary mojo on the shoulds that very much mirror values. Some are more mercenary and indeed pursue the whatever works angles as opposed to what works wisely.

But in my opinion intelligence has issues when it gets more and more topped out, and ENTPs are UNIQUELY suited to detect that and deviate from MERE intelligence. Wisdom is the deviation. Ne angles for it. All cognitive functions when healthy begin to but Ne is wonderful in that what is evidenced in the sociocultural and technological environment, and then forces us to weave thoughts, beliefs, and meanings together, emerges wisdom and turns us away from anti-wisdom.

The more intuitive we are the more we turn from the anti-wisdom unless immaturity and negative emotional development has taken hold in us.

Our T tries to fight it though. To bring the whole aim and focus back to practical, if-then logic. As we grow our F side we can more easily accommodate values and if Ne is driving and T and F are more in balance morals emerge naturally.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.