Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What sort of pets do you find appealing?

I like Irish Wolfhounds. They're the largest dogs out there, and they're totally awesome. I have a think for big dogs. You can sort of brawl with them. I like that they're not "cute," an that you don't treat them as pets so much as companions and equals. The downside to Wolfhounds is that they only live for about six years, but I'm okay with that. When I was a kid, that's how long I assumed all dogs lasted. My dogs never died of old age anyway, since my father wasn't good at keeping them and they often ran away and/or got hit by cars, so dogs in my household would last for a few years. I don't get too emotional about dogs passing away, since I'm almost completely a Thinker when it comes to that. I've accepted that dogs as pets don't last for very long, and I think that one of the best ways to love your pet is to reach that level of acceptance. It somewhat helps that I saw Old Yeller from a very young age. Saying goodbye to your pets is a part of life, and for me it adds a lot of meaning to the life lived by the pet.

Still, I have contingencies. Getting a pet is an investment. I want to make sure that the money I spend on a Wolfhound, which is an expensive dog, isn't wasted. This is where you'll see my Thinking really show, because instead of getting emotional and having difficulty moving on, I'm thinking about the logic of owning a pet with a short lifetime. So I would probably get two Wolfhounds, a male and a female, and start breeding, so that I could have multiple generations of Wolfhounds. I would also probably look for reputable breeders to trade with so that I could maintain some healthy genetic diversity.

Don't get me wrong, I can get emotional about pets, and get attached to them. They're excellent companions who prevent you from ever truly being alone. I'm just logical about understanding that they don't last forever, and I adjust my emotions to fit into that outlook.

But you know what else is awesome, and can cure depression? Penguins. A few yefars ago, a friend shared this meme on Facebook, and I instantly fell in love with it:

10696351_1738714276176469_7350743778952779105_n.jpg

That just changed my world. Penguins are awesome, and so unique. The Ne in me explodes with satisfaction just looking at them. And the meme is right. Have you ever seen a sad person with a penguin? I thought I had just found the ultimate weapon to use against my ever-present depression.

Problem: it isn't legal to own penguins as pets, pretty much anywhere. It's also difficult to give them the right conditions to live, as well. Now I've heard of an exception, a pet King Penguin named Lala in Japan, but otherwise, my research on penguins as pets has not been encouraging. I also can't afford to move to Japan, so there's that.

However, I quickly discovered another animal that tickled my Ne in the same way that penguins did. Someone informed me of a thing called a "wallaby," which is a miniature kangaroo. I quick Googled them, and fell in love. Yes, they were perfect. They were beautiful, wonderful things. I loved their bipedal stature, their bounciness, their workable hands, their quirky ears, their playfulness, and their predisposition towards boxing. This was the kind of animal that was made for me.

Also, I imagined the social benefits, I'll admit. People would see me as more interesting, and I would start to have friends again. And who knows, maybe if I began making friends again, I would actually make a girlfriend? Just a thought.

Most importantly, I checked to see if they were legal to own as pets, and they were. Exotic pet laws vary from state to state, but almost all states allow wallabies as pets. My state and all of its surrounding states sure did. I celebrated when I found this out. I also discovered that there are several reputable breeders in the Unites States, one of them being Buffalo Hill Exotics in Illinois. Their prices are a bit heafty, but I figured that one day I would buy some and start breeding, so that I could keep myself in the company of wallabies for a lifetime.

Also, I planed on naming my first wallaby "Joey," because...it's a pun. Baby wallabies are called joeys.

There are some setbacks to this ultimate goal of living in a wallaby paradise, though. I want to travel the world, and it's difficult to do that with pets. I would also have to wait until I bought a house with a large property for my wallabies to roam around on, and I'd have to pay for a long, tall fence. Detail, details. Still, I absolutely love this idea.

You know, I want it all. I want a mob of small Dama wallabies, a mob of larger Bennett's wallabies, and a mob of Red Kangaroos, which are the largest kangaroos. And not only that, but I want my kangaroos to play around with my Irish Wolfhounds. Hey, what do you know? There's actually a video of that on Youtube:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My sister, who I think is an entp, really likes cats. She doesn't seem to like dogs, or be a big animal lover in general.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,558 Posts
@Clark Kent I don't know about breeding. That's not my thing, but I suppose if that makes you happy then go for it. It's not like humans don't enjoy the process.

As for me, I have my beautiful kitty that I would commit awful crimes to protect. Perhaps that's just me. But, when she goes, I'm not going to be surprised.

Wallabes are awesome though. I've spent some time with them. Softer fur and nicer than I expected.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I like cat on a case by case basis. But they tend to die for multiple reasons here - mostly roads - so I'm not likely to take the initiative and adopt a kitten. Sometimes a stray cat finds its new home, and we live some happy years together. Owls are also pretty cool. Otherwise, I find all the big lizards to be oddly satisfying to watch and I wouldn't mind living with one in the right circumstances. I love how they always look like planning some way to laze around in your back and make a half-assed job at living in general.. They have a great comical power.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a german shepherd. I like them quite a bit, they are very easy to train and adaptable. I sometimes imagine what life would be like to have a fainting goat for a pet. It sounds fun but maybe not for any of the right reasons.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Someone informed me of a thing called a "wallaby," which is a miniature kangaroo. I quick Googled them, and fell in love. Yes, they were perfect. They were beautiful, wonderful things. I loved their bipedal stature, their bounciness, their workable hands, their quirky ears, their playfulness, and their predisposition towards boxing. This was the kind of animal that was made for me.
Wallabies don't box, sorry to disappoint.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not commit the time to analyze this deeply but I really like border collies. Those dogs are really smart and can be really well trained. They're also energetic and cute.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I like dogs, but wouldn't want to be responsible for one again any time soon. I had to take care of a semi demanding dog on my own from when I was 17 to when I was 20 as my family gave me no choice and it was very restricting.

For some reason I'm fairly attached to my family's chinchilla. He's awesome - he's sociable and playful, really fluffy, low maintenance and doesn't stink the way most rodents do. He's also active at night, so I like to chat to him while the others are asleep. I don't see myself as an animal person, but watching him jump in his cage or holding him does improve my mood. I'm actually happy to see him again in less than a week. If I had to take a pet, it would be a chinchilla.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i have a grey hound and i love him. it's like having your own personal tigger. he only has two speeds. sleeping, and run through the fabric of the universe. distance is irrelevant. he knocks over the house any time he decides to wake up. it's brilliant

he's also EXTREMELY sneaky. like. he will open cupboards and steal food, then hide what he can't eat under his duvet in his basket. he even outsmarts me. like, he will bring some toy in and make me play with it when i am eating, then when i am distracted by the toy :)P) he will make a grab for my food. he is such a little opportunist. and the most good natured dog ever. other dogs be all "IMMA KILL YOU MOTHA TRUCKA!" and he be all "enjoy nibbling my ankles, little normal sized creature....hurrrhurr, i r giant"

https://youtu.be/hYZ81x2CJF8

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What sort of pets do you find appealing?

I like Irish Wolfhounds. They're the largest dogs out there, and they're totally awesome. I have a think for big dogs. You can sort of brawl with them. I like that they're not "cute," an that you don't treat them as pets so much as companions and equals. The downside to Wolfhounds is that they only live for about six years, but I'm okay with that. When I was a kid, that's how long I assumed all dogs lasted. My dogs never died of old age anyway, since my father wasn't good at keeping them and they often ran away and/or got hit by cars, so dogs in my household would last for a few years. I don't get too emotional about dogs passing away, since I'm almost completely a Thinker when it comes to that. I've accepted that dogs as pets don't last for very long, and I think that one of the best ways to love your pet is to reach that level of acceptance. It somewhat helps that I saw Old Yeller from a very young age. Saying goodbye to your pets is a part of life, and for me it adds a lot of meaning to the life lived by the pet.

Still, I have contingencies. Getting a pet is an investment. I want to make sure that the money I spend on a Wolfhound, which is an expensive dog, isn't wasted. This is where you'll see my Thinking really show, because instead of getting emotional and having difficulty moving on, I'm thinking about the logic of owning a pet with a short lifetime. So I would probably get two Wolfhounds, a male and a female, and start breeding, so that I could have multiple generations of Wolfhounds. I would also probably look for reputable breeders to trade with so that I could maintain some healthy genetic diversity.

Don't get me wrong, I can get emotional about pets, and get attached to them. They're excellent companions who prevent you from ever truly being alone. I'm just logical about understanding that they don't last forever, and I adjust my emotions to fit into that outlook.

But you know what else is awesome, and can cure depression? Penguins. A few yefars ago, a friend shared this meme on Facebook, and I instantly fell in love with it:

View attachment 606170

That just changed my world. Penguins are awesome, and so unique. The Ne in me explodes with satisfaction just looking at them. And the meme is right. Have you ever seen a sad person with a penguin? I thought I had just found the ultimate weapon to use against my ever-present depression.

Problem: it isn't legal to own penguins as pets, pretty much anywhere. It's also difficult to give them the right conditions to live, as well. Now I've heard of an exception, a pet King Penguin named Lala in Japan, but otherwise, my research on penguins as pets has not been encouraging. I also can't afford to move to Japan, so there's that.

However, I quickly discovered another animal that tickled my Ne in the same way that penguins did. Someone informed me of a thing called a "wallaby," which is a miniature kangaroo. I quick Googled them, and fell in love. Yes, they were perfect. They were beautiful, wonderful things. I loved their bipedal stature, their bounciness, their workable hands, their quirky ears, their playfulness, and their predisposition towards boxing. This was the kind of animal that was made for me.

Also, I imagined the social benefits, I'll admit. People would see me as more interesting, and I would start to have friends again. And who knows, maybe if I began making friends again, I would actually make a girlfriend? Just a thought.

Most importantly, I checked to see if they were legal to own as pets, and they were. Exotic pet laws vary from state to state, but almost all states allow wallabies as pets. My state and all of its surrounding states sure did. I celebrated when I found this out. I also discovered that there are several reputable breeders in the Unites States, one of them being Buffalo Hill Exotics in Illinois. Their prices are a bit heafty, but I figured that one day I would buy some and start breeding, so that I could keep myself in the company of wallabies for a lifetime.

Also, I planed on naming my first wallaby "Joey," because...it's a pun. Baby wallabies are called joeys.

There are some setbacks to this ultimate goal of living in a wallaby paradise, though. I want to travel the world, and it's difficult to do that with pets. I would also have to wait until I bought a house with a large property for my wallabies to roam around on, and I'd have to pay for a long, tall fence. Detail, details. Still, I absolutely love this idea.

You know, I want it all. I want a mob of small Dama wallabies, a mob of larger Bennett's wallabies, and a mob of Red Kangaroos, which are the largest kangaroos. And not only that, but I want my kangaroos to play around with my Irish Wolfhounds. Hey, what do you know? There's actually a video of that on Youtube:

I salute your taste! My last three dogs have been Irish terriers, the wolfhound and the Airedale's smaller cousin. "Called the daredevil of dogdom, the Irish terrier is brash, bold, assertive, playful, inquisitive, independent, strong-willed and ever ready for action and adventure." (http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/terrier/irish-terrier.html) I'd add that they're clever, good-natured and have a sense of humor - but they need stimulation. (Sound familiar?)

What surprises me is that they're not more popular. Maybe they're not the most trainable of dogs; they pick things up quickly, but they're not the sort of dog that responds well to repetitive training. Training's overrated, though; a lot of trainers want dogs to be docile and obedient; I prefer my dogs to be dogs.

Wallabies would put a spring in your step, and your happiness would improve in leaps and bounds. What about tree kangaroos? Part kangaroo, part red panda.

There's also the cuscus, which are adorable. (They throw rice at people at weddings, and sometimes couscous, but I wouldn't throw a cuscus; they're too cute - and the bride might object to having a yarring ball of fur and claws flung in her face. Better to stick to couscous.)

The problem with kangaroos, though, isn't that they box - it's that they kick. (Kick-boxing roos?) Those big feet of theirs can disembowel.

I've seen a lot of unhappy people who own Penguins - they're second-hand booksellers. Badum, as they say, tish. But, yes, penguins are great fun to watch - they waddle along like waiters on land, but elegant once they enter the water.

·
Registered
ENTJ 3w2-5w6-9w8 so/sp
1,183 Posts
I used to have some guineapigs that I really like, but I've come to the conclusion that I am not a pet-person. Basically, I regularly forgot about their existance, much to the frustration of my mother. It's a lot of work for very little actual benefit.

I am also generally not very animal-friendly and always handled them very carelessly as a kid. Cats and dogs can be cute and cuddly, but in the long run, they just seem sort of odd to me and I can't make any connection with them. I also get annoyed at them really quickly and it might be a little concerning that when a cat or dog repeatedly disturbs me, I get the very strong urge to just grab it and either squeeze it very tightly or throw it against the wall. That's why I don't think that I will have a pet again.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
As far as outré pets go... Monkeys would be cool. I went to a Hanuman temple in India recently, and walked up the path rocking a monkey on each shoulder. My nature is irrepressible!

Animals that are fun - otters, meerkats, coatimundi...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This topic is a bit old, but uh...I happen to be raising a baby raccoon right now. It's eating me out of house and home, and takes 24/7 commitment. I think that they're probably a bit better for ENTJs, because of the whole commitment thing. They really tie you down and prevent you from doing anything creative with your day.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I like dogs and animals in general but I would say I am more of a cat person. I can appreciate an animal that does not follow me and love me no matter what but is independent and only shows love when it wants to. It fits better in my lifestyle since I don't have to be a slave to a cat's food schedule or have to cut things short so I can run home to let it out. You can even go on vacation and it will be fine with very little need for outside care.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
My two boys had every pet you could imagine.
I have returned every pet you could imagine.

I have also buried pets, flushed dead pets.
Had a funeral service for a damned hamster named Hamtaro.
Who was replaced by Pinkachu after the "bath incident".
Who was replaced by Mr. Sniffles after the "hes somewhere in our crawl space incident".
Who was replaced by a gecko because "Mr. Sniffles bites a lot incident(s)".

For the greater good of the animal kingdom, I have stopped allowing pets in my home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My two boys had every pet you could imagine.
I have returned every pet you could imagine.

I have also buried pets, flushed dead pets.
Had a funeral service for a damned hamster named Hamtaro.
Who was replaced by Pinkachu after the "bath incident".
Who was replaced by Mr. Sniffles after the "hes somewhere in our crawl space incident".
Who was replaced by a gecko because "Mr. Sniffles bites a lot incident(s)".

For the greater good of the animal kingdom, I have stopped allowing pets in my home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts