Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fascinated with the idea of time travel since I was a kid. I have been working off and on on a theory of how time travel could be made possible. I watch any program that I happen upon that has to do with how the universe was created, the nature of the universe, quarks, black holes, etc... However, I have never done any formal research, and have no intent to, on the subject. I prefer to just happen upon information and then add it to my collection of thoughts on the topic. I figure that I may have a workable proposal by the time I die. And if not, then I'll come back in another lifetime and keep adding to the data pool. Or someone else will have invented a way and I can compare to see how close I was to figuring out. I was wondering, how many other ENTPs have a fascination with time travel?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought about time travel a lot when I was younger, the possibilities and implications of it, finally concluding that it's not possible. My laziness is preventing me of elaborating more.

Also, the Suzumya Haruhi novels offer an interesting insight on these matters.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Oh fuck.

You guys make it so complicated.

Air Travel + Time Zones = "Time travel".

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Concept is intetresting, and I read most about it some years ago. One very interesting aspect is that time is relative for all objects. That is, if you move around or are nearer a gravitational source, your time will differ from a fixed object.

Traveling at extreme speeds slow your relative time compared to a viewer.

Also, travelling back in time would need to combine the theory of infinite (parallell) universes. Every action actually creates a new universe so to speak, beginning from that moment.

As to wormholes in space-time, or singularity gates, those are more philosophy than science.... As are all time travel aspects.

Also: When looking at a far away star in the sky: that star might have exploded a thousand years ago, and its light have been travelling for more than that to reach your optic nerves. This is in fact gazing into a thousand years back in time. Quite intriguing actually.... It takes 8 minutes for us to notice if the sun were to explode....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Travel at warp-speed would be something.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also: When looking at a far away star in the sky: that star might have exploded a thousand years ago, and its light have been travelling for more than that to reach your optic nerves. This is in fact gazing into a thousand years back in time. Quite intriguing actually.... It takes 8 minutes for us to notice if the sun were to explode....
Percisely! It is a matter of position and perspective. But what exactly is position? Position is relative to some object. But objects effect other objects and gravity can bend light. And perspective, what if we could interpret up to 5 or more dimensions in a physical manner. What would we perceive with our physical senses?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was just thinking about this recently. I really don't even think time travel is possible. One would be better off trying to figure out teleportation or something like that than time travel.

I mean in order to travel backwards in time one would have to assume the universe either has a way of recording past events or something to that effect...I highly doubt that time travel will be possible though. It seems to be more wishful thinking than a possibility.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Stephen Hawking has a great documentary on this, look it up on youtube.

Time travel to the past is not possible, however, to the future it is.
If you were to revert the entire universe back to the exact state it was sometime in the past, then that would be the same as time travel back in time.

To do that, you would have to reverse the effects of entropy, because time going forward is the same thing as an expenditure of energy. Every time energy is expended is when an action occurs. I wonder if it would have something to do with returning energy to solid mass, kind of like the reverse of an atom bomb.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Well I figured out travelling forward is fairly easy, but backward is damn hard. I'm thinking of writing a fictional book based on my theories haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts