Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now officially unemployed. (It wasn't a bitter or cold-blooded firing or anything like that. I was just in a year-long paid internship, which I knew from the beginning was going to end around now.)

I've already sent out résumés and started the job hunt, but...

Are there any typical ENTP pitfalls I should be avoiding around now? I know many ENTPs tend to lose momentum when they're not being creative or productive, and I don't want to fall into a rut. Any tips on dealing with my current joblessness?

Reactions: devoid

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I'll definitely be watching this thread closely. Only thing I can contribute at this present time is to branch out, have a little something on the side. Not only does it make sense during our economic instability but it's wonderful to have when you're in between jobs. I've been living off odd jobs and contracts for the past five years -- I do teach at a music academy, but I do take students on the side, proofread essays and tutor high school students. I am considering teaming up with a friend and getting into graphic design, I suggested that we start designing our own clothing line starting with graphic t-shirts and simple items and try to market something. Entrepreneurship is something inevitable even if we are to have steady jobs; truth is, I'm looking for something slack to cover the bills and I want to focus my effort on my own studio. I have come to accept that work can be something excruciating and boring; so, I don't define my entire existence around my job or career like most people in contemporary society.

edit: There's always the friend police. Just tell your friends to call on certain things and that alone can throw me back into reality. I'm really good at changing my goals; so, about those resumes :wink:

·
Banned
435 Posts
OP, do you have any people you could network with? Networking is a great tool when you need to find employment fast.

Do you mind if I ask what degree you have? And what sort of job are you looking for?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hobby projects! Create something new, something you need, something you've always wanted.
Meet new people.
Do something new!

Just try to not get so engaged you forget about the job hunt.

At least, that's what I'd do. I'm not really familiar with the situation, but I'm trying my best to keep my head above water as I finish the last of my studies which I've completely lost interest in. (Not because of the studies themselves, but because of the limitations and the poorly thought out classes.)

It could have gone a lot better though, I find myself doing more of other things, and a little too little of what I should.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Learn a new language! Or even better, memorize all the different ways throughout the world of writing numerals. Something I did in the last few months was master writing in cursive russian. It's really fun. If I don't want someone to read my notes, I just write them out in a different language. Sometimes I wish I was a spy or something. Noone appreciates my intellect....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was unemployed for a little over a month in the fall (not a horribly long time, but long enough to affect me). I got scattered and a bit depressed. It was probably a combination of not having that outlet for my energy and having way too much empty time on my hands. It's hard for me to keep moving forward when I don't have something like work to occupy my time and mind at least part of the time. When I have too much unstructured time, I can't do anything productive and I lose sight of things.

I'd say find something structured to occupy your time. Volunteer or take some free classes. Summer's coming up soon-- maybe get a summer job to hold you over while you look for more permanent employment-- an ice cream parlor, amusement park, kids' program-- just something to keep you going. Summer jobs can be a lot of fun. I took a summer job six years ago and I'm still there because I love it so much. Hell-- I love it more than my "real job" (which is actually becoming a problem...). And no one expects you to stay at places like that, so it's not really considered "job hopping" if you leave after a few months.

Reactions: Doc Dangerstein

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
networking. you don't find jobs through resumes. you find them through networking.

linkedin.
facebook.
this site.
where do you live? what do you want to do? MARKET!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Networking, keeping a score of irons in the fire so that as some career options dry up you can pick a ready one up, and upscaling your social contacts are all great ideas. ENTPs are high-end in my opinion. They do not flourish at street level as well. Keep moving your world up the social ladder and rub shoulders with the next set of people as often as you can. I am saying this because in my life I was always drawn and naturally good at high-end thinking and carousing. I didn't really pursue it as I suspected it would just naturally happen. It didn't. You have to invest time, effort, and some serious intuition into breaking into higher and higher layers socio-economically. It is not about money per se. Once you begin to mix with the right people, people of power and influence who can more often understand and appreciate your visionary nature, your ability to thrive will take on its own inertia. If you go the other way, hanging at street level, it may be enjoyable and comforting, but, I have found it to be less than best for ENTP comfort and success.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Networking, keeping a score of irons in the fire so that as some career options dry up you can pick a ready one up, and upscaling your social contacts are all great ideas. ENTPs are high-end in my opinion. They do not flourish at street level as well. Keep moving your world up the social ladder and rub shoulders with the next set of people as often as you can. I am saying this because in my life I was always drawn and naturally good at high-end thinking and carousing. I didn't really pursue it as I suspected it would just naturally happen. It didn't. You have to invest time, effort, and some serious intuition into breaking into higher and higher layers socio-economically. It is not about money per se. Once you begin to mix with the right people, people of power and influence who can more often understand and appreciate your visionary nature, your ability to thrive will take on its own inertia. If you go the other way, hanging at street level, it may be enjoyable and comforting, but, I have found it to be less than best for ENTP comfort and success.
yeah, street level for 10 years or so. been fun, but not getting anything done.

time to get busy.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Set your alarm early, allocate a certain amount of time each day to job hunting, and try to keep organized as if job hunting has become your new job. I KNOW you are going to blow off the schedule anyway, but you still need to make one. xD Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing SJ's are great at and we just can't sit still for, so you will have to force yourself to spend at least some time every day just doing the paperwork. As others have suggested, try to get a friend to keep you on track and ask about your progress regularly.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
@devoid's advice is what I'd give. It's way to easy to find yourself waking up at 10 every day, dicking around on the computer for a while, and then sending out some halfhearted resumes.

I'd split my "work hours" into research and writing segments. You'll at least look forward to the research segments, and hopefully that will get you going enough to do the writing part.

Finally, as I remember you had asked about entp caregiving, you could always consider getting the mommy track underway if it's an otherwise decent time in your life to do so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was unemployed for a while and here's what helped me.

Do not stay holed up. Get out and network. Reconnect with friends that you didn't have time for when you were working. Meet new people. Try whatever interests you. Exercise class? Cooking? Whatever it is, do it.

Do not lose focus. I hired a career coach who kept me on track and kept me focused. That paid off big for me because my current job is at a higher salary. A very nice bump in pay.

If it takes a while to find something, do not lose heart. Keep your eye on the prize and do not give up. If you feel emotional, go ahead and feel it. Get past it and then move on.

And, as stupid as this may sound... don't just stop with the next job you get. Think about the job after that. And so on.

And if you feel like bitching, we are here to commiserate.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP, do you have any people you could network with? Networking is a great tool when you need to find employment fast.
Oh, I've been networking, etc. Big time. I just need some advice on ways not to get lazy or discouraged in between.

Do you mind if I ask what degree you have? And what sort of job are you looking for?
Advertising. I'd like to go into ad copywriting or social media.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@devoid's advice is what I'd give. It's way to easy to find yourself waking up at 10 every day, dicking around on the computer for a while, and then sending out some halfhearted resumes.

I'd split my "work hours" into research and writing segments. You'll at least look forward to the research segments, and hopefully that will get you going enough to do the writing part.
THANK YOU. You and Devoid are always so helpful!

Finally, as I remember you had asked about entp caregiving, you could always consider getting the mommy track underway if it's an otherwise decent time in your life to do so.
I'm 22, unmarried, and my boyfriend and I now live 1,300 miles away from each other. Probably not the best time to go the mommy route, haha. However, I recently got a puppy, and so far it's awesome. She helped me discover my nurturing side (which I had no idea existed), and she keeps my spirits and energy up.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
online trading is a good option.

Reactions: PowerShell
1 - 18 of 18 Posts