Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am trying to write this essay about the establishment of a Mormon desert Zion in the Utah Territory in the 1840's and how it would shape the history of Utah and the future of Mormonism but because of how frequently I smoke weed, I, first of all, made my thesis shaped in a way that will make my essay kind of hard to write and second of all, can't connect my body paragraphs with my thesis in order to make the essay make sense. I think the reason for all of this has to do with how often I smoke weed and it's probably fucked with my hippocampus. I want to stop but all my friends do it. Maybe they would be cool if I hung out with them and just didn't smoke but I don't know. They're losers but they're my friends and I'm still connected with them. There are other people I can hang out with but these are the guys I've made all my memories with and I can't just ditch them although, I can't wait until college when I will be able to do more and bounce around with more friends and be able to talk about them with more things that I'm actually interested in (politics)

I am also only 16 and have been smoking pretty frequently since like April and I've done it since 14 (although I did it rarely when I was 14 and 15). I think weed is fucking up a lot of things that I hold in high regard. One of the things is my ability to make connections between everything (although, this could be caused by my lack of sleep due to my terrible work ethic, is this what is screwing me up?) but I am starting to gain my work ethic back. Another thing that I believe it's fucking up is the ability to get a vibe or feeling out of memories which may be caused by my lack of sleep, but I feel like it's the weed.

Is this weed doing it? Lack of sleep? When I average my amount of sleep in a week, it's probably like 6-6 1/2 hours of sleep a night. Is it my work ethic and procrastination that's fucked with me? Is this just a teenage phase? Is my essay just a hard one to connect altogether (although I haven't told you guys the point that's hard to connect with the whole essay and I feel like it'd just be a burden if I did) Am I just being a moronic, paranoid ENTP?

If the weed is doing this, when will I recover? Because I want to and I know that I can stop smoking weed if I want to. If it's lack of sleep or work ethic, what should I do? Maybe a combination of all of them? I just want to feel completely normal again. If there's anything I value most, it's competence, consistency, and for things to just make fucking logical sense. I want to feel NORMAL. Sorry if that seemed annoying, but can someone try and help? I will respect you forever if you do. Could I be depressed? Could I have depersonalization disorder? PTS? PTSD? SOMEONE HELP

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Naaaaa, you should probably smoke more. Eventually you will become stupid enough that you won't even realize it is causing you any problems. :kitteh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanna laugh but I'm serious dude. Ever since I've started smoking a lot of weed, I feel like I don't have feelings from my memories, like I didn't experience them almost. Is this depersonalization disorder?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was being serious, don't smoke weed. I am not really anti-drug but weed is not good to smoke as a teenager. You already answered you question, you need to stop. If you brain is soo racing you need to slow it down get a prescription or something that does not dumb you down and keep you rational. Weed, just makes you stupid, unless you are playing music, that is the only time when I enjoyed it, using it as a creative boost.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I started smoking it daily at your age; I wish I wouldn't have let it become a habit. It can be very difficult to quit (I know, it's not physically addictive, but it's still a crutch), so if you make the plan to do it, you might need to distance yourself from your smoking friends for a couple weeks.

I never had much problem with it affecting my studies until advanced college level math. (And to be honest it was the same type of problems-- I understood the concepts but for some reason I was just "foggy" in the brain and couldn't sort it out on paper.) But, I wonder to this day if I would be smarter, or would have made better decisions a few times in my life when it really counted, had I avoided it.

It's also possible that your hormones and all that are playing a part in it. I would personally shoot for a full 8 hours of sleep and make sure you're taking care of yourself as far as diet and exercise.

Decide if it's worth it for you to take your chances and continue smoking weed... if you decide to quit, maybe develop a plan as far as what you'll do when you get bored and decide you want to light up again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I fucking love you INFJs, I can relate to you guys and you help! I'm sorry about your similar problem too. I will consider not hanging out with them or if I do, play basketball or do something else besides smoking weed and I'll try to get enough sleep. I think having a constant goal will help me as well. Do you think it could be a personality disorder or am I being overly-paranoid?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't feel emotions from a lot of my recent memories. I can definitely from old ones though. Is this something attributable to weed or lack of sleep?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yes, smoking weed regularly can cause brainfog.
No, its not permanent, so disregard the ignorance and scare tactics you might find on the topic.

Quit for a few weeks and see how you feel. If the brainfog doesn't pass then, it wasn't the weed anyway.

After that, just moderate the weed smoking to just on weekends or perhaps not all day lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmmm... Idk. The only memories I get an emotion from really are ones I regret... I would recommend seeing a doctor, not because I think something's wrong with you, but to make sure there isn't. That way they'll also have a baseline and be able to compare if anything changes that might throw up a red flag.

(I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but at your age I believe the mind is in a kind of fragile transition despite it sometimes feeling like your whole world is in chaos. If you see a doctor, and they try to prescribe you something, be very cautious of the potential side effects...)

I quit smoking when I was having those problems in statistics... it probably took about 2 weeks for me to adjust, and now I do remember feeling like my emotions were more intense without it. I flunked the first test but ended up with a 100% on the final...just to illustrate the difference it made with me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, totally normal if you smoke pot. I started early too, but I don't smoke regulary anymore and I must say that the loss of memory only happen when I smoke again. So don't worry, you will recover, only if you stop though, or keep it exceptional.
But I DO regret a lot started smoking so young, as your body is still developing and it can cause life-long damages, such as being prone to schizophrenia, depression and other happy stuff.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quit acting like you people know the consequences of smoking at such a young age where your brain is going through extreme development. Even a neurologist would admit that the long term effects are unknown at such a young age.

However, If you can hold off for like 4 years it will be helpful, there is a major period from like 14-22(?), (obviously not exact) where your brain and intelligence (joining of neuro pathways) are formed. I am not advocating to never experiment, just wait until college. I truly believe this, it seems to really have a lot more negative effect on teenagers then young adults.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Also, I have to admit, I can't ever remember my brain ever becoming degenerated from drugs, however, I didn't do a lot of weed. So, that would be a red flag, either you don't have a lot to spare, or you need to find another escape to relax. Just be smart about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree. Wait till college. Even if the potential damages on teenagers haven't been scientifically proven, they are scary enough. And from my experience, they can be real for some people.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 16 to, and my avarege amount of sleep in a week is probably 5 to 6, it's affect me a little, I use to sleep alot in the classes, I don't know how is experience the effects of the weed since I've never smoked, but having this low amount of sleep don't prejudice my hability of making connections and neither to put things on papper, I guarantee.
It sure bother me in some stuff, like physical disposition and being more unfocused than I already am, but I don't think that affects your brain in a so deep level.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm 16 to, and my avarege amount of sleep in a week is probably 5 to 6, it's affect me a little, I use to sleep alot in the classes, I don't know how is experience the effects of the weed since I've never smoked, but having this low amount of sleep don't prejudice my hability of making connections and neither to put things on papper, I guarantee.
It sure bother me in some stuff, like physical disposition and being more unfocused than I already am, but I don't think that affects your brain in a so deep level.
Good sleep is one of the more important mental and physical beneficial things you can do. Isn't it ironic that the educational system doesn't help you with some of the more important aspects of long term intelligence and health.

BTW, most teachers, especially in high school, are idiots. I strongly recommend finding someone in your life that actual knows what it takes to help you develop as a human being. :wink:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You will recover. You're probably being over-anxious about it, I doubt very much that you have any sort of psychiatric illness or psychological abnormality. There is a small but unquantified risk of psychiatric disturbance with too much cannabis use in the teenage years, although i suspect that the tendency is there anyway for those who go on to develop schizophrenia (a tiny tiny number and diagnosis starts to rise in the late teens in this condition anyway: so the cannabis use may be a confounding factor in a statistical sense rather than the cause). So statistically your individual risk is tiny, and the issue is overwhelmingly more likely to be short-term effects plus lack of sleep.

Teenagers need a lot of sleep. You need to get more. Do your parents let you lie in in the mornings? They should. My 16 year old surfaces around lunchtime when school isn't on.

If you can't hang out with your friends without feeling forced to do something that you are not keen on, you need a different set of friends. Even if you can though, you will probably find them boring if you are straight and they aren't. If you can disengage for a while with grace, give yourself some time to sleep and get your head straight, give it a try.

Experimenting with drugs is pretty normal when you're young. But with any addictive drug (including the legal ones) ask yourself: does this enhance my life or am I building my life around my need for this? If it's the latter, you're probably doing too much for happiness.

Oh, and the reason why you are struggling with the essay is that it is really really boring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts