Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've been in that type of "position of power" a few times over the years. Most recently I was offered a promotion at my job to become upper management. I turned it down. I hate doing that crap. When you're in a high ranking position everyone always wants you to keep everyone else in line ... I'm just like "hey man ... just let them do their shit .. leave them alone". It never goes well. And then there's the endless paperwork ... and having to be responsible for HR issues (when you know full well that YOU personally are the biggest HR issue of all). I don't dig it at all. I've been there, I'm more than capable of doing it ... but I'd rather be a step down and control/manipulate everything from behind the scenes so I don't have to do all the crap work that I hate doing.

Reactions: deSouza

·
Banned
283 Posts
I like it. Mostly because I usually don't trust people above me to have the same view as me. I just run around like a dog chasing its tail too much.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not in upper management, but I am in lower management, which still puts a few dozen people under me. I agree we go up the ladder with relative ease-- I don't know what it is about me that makes people want to put me in charge all the time, but I'm constantly being put in leadership positions. Like Psyphon said, I don't like having to keep others in line. I'd rather do my thing and let them do theirs. I also don't like that as a manager the upper management tends to watch me more closely and give me less room to be myself. I'm expected to follow and enforce procedures to the letter whereas before I had a little flexibility to make the job my own.

At the same time, I like having more influence in the department. I like that people listen to my opinions and I like having more control over things, especially when something goes wrong and I can fix it whereas I wouldn't have had the opportunity before and would probably have had to watch some incompetent doof mess it up even more in an attempt to fix it (when it goes wrong and I can't fix it and I get the blame is a different story). I like being able to raise the performance level of the department as opposed to just watching incompetent people drag it down and being frustrated at their idiocy. I feel I can be more effective at my job from a position of relative power, but there are still many things about it I don't like.

Reactions: deSouza

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like having influence and decision-making power but also strongly value individuality; I like being able to guide a process but not exert too much control. I could definitely see myself in a directorial role within a group striving for creative output (music production, architectural design... Pixar) but management in and of itself makes me bored as hell. I want to get my own hands dirty in a collaborative environment while still having the final say over what's a stupid idea and what isn't, two things that healthy ENTPs have a natural affinity for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts