Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just curious to see if I can get a consensus. How do you react when you're caught out in a lie because you screwed up? (I know, I know, "ENTP's don't screw up, we're evil geniuses!") Three parts to this: What do you feel when you know you've lied and then given yourself away? How do you react to the person if they bring it up? What if they don't bring it up, but you know they know you lied? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm a good liar so this is not generally a problem for me... :laughing:

If I do get caught, my reaction kind of depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I'll own up to it, but a lot of times I'll come up with a good reason for lying. Gotta stay on your toes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't lie. I just can change opinions that fast :p

In all seriousness, i really don't lie. If there is something i don't want it to be known, i just don't say it. If i have to, then telling the truth is always better than lying. I would like people to be completely honest with me even if it hurts, so i am like that with them.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't lie... but there seems to be a unanimous consensus among the people I know that I'm the most sarcastic person they've ever met. :( My Fe makes a sad face when they say it, but I've never heard it spoken in a negative way... at least not since adolescence.(laughs) I think lying is something ENTPs do when they're very young, but there's a natural measure of restraint there. Unlike the ENFPs I've met who lie and justify it as something done "for the good of" others and as a testament to their tenderness for The Soft Simple Folk, I think ENTPs are fairly sensitive to the extent of the potential for a lie to hurt someone (or even the principle of lying and all attendant insinuations), and needlessly inflicting pain inspires guilt, or even disgust, via the tertiary function. As their perspective widens, or once they've been "burned" enough times by the affronted receiving party, they turn the predisposition into creative wit.

I think the affinity for "lying" originates as a capacity for recognizing "imaginary" circumstances in tandem with real ones when the ENTP is a child and the Ne is still shedding down. ;) When they meet others who think in ways that are more rigid and contained, they feel tempted to exploit that, and for a short time they may confuse "lying" with "cleverness." An ENTP with little restraint, however, is bound to be caught and punished a good number of times if they don't grow out of the behavior sooner.

As adults, we have a much stronger sense of... well, everything. Lying no longer makes sense. It flatters us more as adults to achieve our objectives via true strengths. Additionally, as we grow older many of us gain a stronger esteem for intimacy. It can be difficult for us to form deep personal connections with people due to our objective way of relating to emotions and our exhaustive need of personal and intellectual freedom. When we're not getting attention, we may not be getting anything in the way of social demand, so why would we shit on people unless they'd really crossed us? And in those circumstances, well, it's more fun and more effective to drive them crazy. The truth works better than lying does, here. Subtle comments.

In fact, contrary to the little devils many of us were as children, I think a fairly significant amount of ENTPs mature into truly noble adults. Not that we still don't like to get crazy when the mood suits us...

But if I did lie, and somebody caught me out? (laughs) Play stupid. It's #1 among most necessary skills in lying, silly. ;p

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't lie... but there seems to be a unanimous consensus among the people I know that I'm the most sarcastic person they've ever met. :( My Fe makes a sad face when they say it, but I've never heard it spoken in a negative way... at least not since adolescence.(laughs) I think lying is something ENTPs do when they're very young, but there's a natural measure of restraint there. Unlike the ENFPs I've met who lie and justify it as something done "for the good of" others and as a testament to their tenderness for The Soft Simple Folk, I think ENTPs are fairly sensitive to the extent of the potential for a lie to hurt someone (or even the principle of lying and all attendant insinuations), and needlessly inflicting pain inspires guilt, or even disgust, via the tertiary function. As their perspective widens, or once they've been "burned" enough times by the affronted receiving party, they turn the predisposition into creative wit.

I think the affinity for "lying" originates as a capacity for recognizing "imaginary" circumstances in tandem with real ones when the ENTP is a child and the Ne is still shedding down. ;) When they meet others who think in ways that are more rigid and contained, they feel tempted to exploit that, and for a short time they may confuse "lying" with "cleverness." An ENTP with little restraint, however, is bound to be caught and punished a good number of times if they don't grow out of the behavior sooner.

As adults, we have a much stronger sense of... well, everything. Lying no longer makes sense. It flatters us more as adults to achieve our objectives via true strengths. Additionally, as we grow older many of us gain a stronger esteem for intimacy. It can be difficult for us to form deep personal connections with people due to our objective way of relating to emotions and our exhaustive need of personal and intellectual freedom. When we're not getting attention, we may not be getting anything in the way of social demand, so why would we shit on people unless they'd really crossed us? And in those circumstances, well, it's more fun and more effective to drive them crazy. The truth works better than lying does, here. Subtle comments.

In fact, contrary to the little devils many of us were as children, I think a fairly significant amount of ENTPs mature into truly noble adults. Not that we still don't like to get crazy when the mood suits us...

But if I did lie, and somebody caught me out? (laughs) Play stupid. It's #1 among most necessary skills in lying, silly. ;p
I was going to say obfuscate stupidity
Obfuscating Stupidity - Television Tropes & Idioms

Not that I ever have good reasons to lie.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I usually tell my lies by having people assume the lie instead of the truth. Then if they call me out then I can go back word-for-word of what I say and show them that they just misunderstood. I rarely get caught though, and I only lie about silly day-to-day things.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I get out of it. I either lie again or tell the truth, but whatever it is I say, it makes me look good and I always get out of it and often gain a lot of sympathy for my "affliction". It's never a problem for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You're gonna confront him??? I don't know, boo. I think you'll really freak him out if you do. He was really trying to let you down easy and not hurt your feelings, I promise.

Still, I get why it still hurts you that he lied, and if you need to confront him, you will I think have better results if you do it in a joking way. Like, "so I saw your FB update, and I am impressed--you must be an amazing athlete to do all that with an injured ankle!!" I think he will be a little sheepish then, but not scared sh*tless, and you can follow up with "you know, for next time, I can take it if you just tell me you're not interested." You will get a more genuine response out of him this way and he won't get defensive.

Just sayin', hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't think I lie, but here I might be lying to myself.:laughing:

If it did happen and I got caught out, I'd come clean. Can't bear a complicated life.

In fact I'm really not sure why ENTPs have a rep for lying, it doesn't seem to be a majority feature in here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I try not to lie anymore. Life is so much more challenging with the truth. On the other hand, when I used to get caught in a lie (I think it happened... once?) it was a very old one and I simply convinced the person they were remembering it wrong. I imagine though if it happened today I'd probably invent something else that would cover it up. Honestly, covering lies with more lies is hardly as complex as those movies with morals make it out to be.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
In fact I'm really not sure why ENTPs have a rep for lying, it doesn't seem to be a majority feature in here.
Obviously it's because you're all lying about your lying.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
When my Ne starts to make my mouth work I can say things that make no sense whatsoever, even to me. Some people have a problem with this and will accuse me of lying when my behavior doesn't match what they convinced themselves I meant when I was freewheeling. I used to feel bad about this, but now . . . Ehhh . . . Whatever. Call me a liar you dullard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Read an article today about lying and personality type. According to the article, extroverts are much more comfortable lying than introverts; and intuitive people, those who can read others well, will lie more often because they know they are much better at getting away with it!

Made me think of your post--I would have posted the link to the article as well, but I haven't posted enough times to include a link in my responses :-( Let me know if you wanna read it though, and I'll e-mail ya!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm a good liar so this is not generally a problem for me... :laughing:

If I do get caught, my reaction kind of depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I'll own up to it, but a lot of times I'll come up with a good reason for lying. Gotta stay on your toes.
^^This entire statement pretty much sums up what I wanted to say ^^

·
Banned
998 Posts
Because people are so used to us being brutally honest that when we DO lie we're very believable. So there is a much bigger shock factor when they find out it is a lie.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read an article today about lying and personality type. According to the article, extroverts are much more comfortable lying than introverts; and intuitive people, those who can read others well, will lie more often because they know they are much better at getting away with it!

Made me think of your post--I would have posted the link to the article as well, but I haven't posted enough times to include a link in my responses :-( Let me know if you wanna read it though, and I'll e-mail ya!
I DO want to read that article!!!

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Hi all! Just curious to see if I can get a consensus. How do you react when you're caught out in a lie because you screwed up? (I know, I know, "ENTP's don't screw up, we're evil geniuses!") Three parts to this: What do you feel when you know you've lied and then given yourself away? How do you react to the person if they bring it up? What if they don't bring it up, but you know they know you lied? Thanks for any input.
Depends on which makes more sense.
If it makes more sense to tell the truth then I tell the truth.
If it makes sense I'll continue to lie and appeal to every weakness of the other person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts