Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking lately as I wonder about my own place in this world....

I hear people make small talk and joke about all kinds of things. Someone may mention Tiger Woods and some other golfer. Someone may talk about Lindsey Lohan doing XYZ. Some people may discuss something like the top 25 guitar solos of all time. Some may discuss trips..

I find i don't know or care much about actors, actresses, pop culture, music..etc. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy music. However, I will just listen to the radio and say "I like this song" and sing along with it rather than knowing who sings it or where they are playing. Sure if I like the song I may know who wrote it but I couldn't tell you anything about them. I may even go see them in concert and enjoy it, but i would probably go by myself if I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go.

I've tried to listen to the radio shows in the morning more to learn more about pop culture, but I just can't REMEMBER it. I can't contribute to that conversation, so I remain silent and listen.

When it comes to sports, I would rather go play (badly) than watch them. It doesnt' happen very often.

I REALLY need to go get out more....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's like.... I want a really brief overview of something and MOVE ON. Say I want to golf. I want to learn how to hit the ball and move on not spend 30 minutes thinking about how I can hit the ball better.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
If i get what you're talking about...
I do like some sports, I listen to music, and I have some movies/shows that I really enjoy, but I've never been into pop culture or anything beyond the actual movie, show, music, sport, etc. itself.
My mom knows a hell of a lot more about pop culture than I do. Personally, I may have some actors who I like and some musicians who I like, but I'm likely to not know much if anything about their personal lives. I don't even know how people keep up with pop culture either. And I don't know how someone could find it so fascinating that they'd make a special effort to look into it every single day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That picture is FUNNY! ha ha ..

I was just thinking it's the same with me and movies. I sit and watch a movie. if it's good I feel enthralled. If you ask me what it was about I have to replay the movie in my head. I never really analyse it or can tell you that X character did Y. It's just an enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
432 Posts
To answer the question, I don't really *care* about pop culture.

I'm not going to be deeply affected if Lindsay Lohan gets sent back to drug rehab, or if some celebrity I am barely acquainted with gets kicked off Dancing With the Stars next week.

I just see pop culture as the kind of thing I might read about in my spare time - but doing so would still be very low on my list of ways to occupy my free time.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy music. However, I will just listen to the radio and say "I like this song" and sing along with it rather than knowing who sings it or where they are playing.
I feel very much the same way about music.
I like to listen to music that has a good beat and is catchy. I'm not concerned with whether Pop Tart X has legit talent or uses autotune to perfect their voice.

As for sports...I don't care about them AT. ALL.
I grew up having zero athletic ability (other than maybe swimming) and getting laughed at for it, so I think I have been conditioned to be completely apathetic about sports.
I think it's great that so many people ARE passionate about sports, but they're not my forte.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't really know if I care about pop culture. I know all whole lot about it since I spend 90% of my time on the internet. The way I care about things is gathering as much information as quickly as possible and kind of obsess over it for a while until I know as much as I can about it, sometimes it's related to pop culture, such as how I've been into Marvel for a while now, I watched all the movies I could and I also research on the actors. I don't usually care about whatever celebrity or things that are popular. I don't like most celebrities because why should I, why should I care about someone else's life when they don't affect me at all? I don't care about popular or trending things because I like what I want to like and my judgement is different from other people.

As for sports, I hate them, but that's just my opinion. I don't find it useful for my future and I don't benefit from running around like a crazy person. I don't enjoy watching sports either, I find it a waste of my time and it serves no purpose. I know this thread is really old but whatever. xD

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I could care less about celebrities personal lives, and the only time I've ever cared about sports was in High School when our Girl's basketball team won states three years in a row.
I will know the name of whoever sings a song I like, just because that usually means I'll like other music by them. I'll know actors names if I think they're talented (or sometimes because they're attractive).
The only time I've ever been really interested in a celebrity was when I was little and a huge Hilary Duff fan. Tbh I'm still a huge Hilary Duff fan.
Oh, and more recently Marilyn Monroe, I love her and know a lot about her, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.
I have a friend (ESTJ) who knows a lot about actors. Not in a gossipy way, she just watches a lot of interviews and pays attention to what movies are coming out. Sometimes when I'm talking to her not in person I google the people she talks about because I don't remember their names.

Anyway, I understand a lot of it. Talking about celebrities lets people gossip without feeling bad about it.
But when people get into the trashy "Who's having an affair?" "Who had plastic surgery?" "Who's estranged mother just broke out of jail?" stuff I don't get the interest level.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When it comes to athletes I look at them not as a person but rather an object that is good at a, b and bad at x, y. So to me they're just a package of playstyle, strength & weaknesses. For example if I watch soccer I look at the team as a chess board. This figure does this and together they do that strategy. I do remember some of the more notable players that I like, but not too much about them. I've yet to research an athlete on their strengths and weaknesses though, so I assess that during the game.

Pop culture? What is it? Well i do hear some of the more notable facts(but not the ones that they write in magazines. The ones which are actually notable(like death)) The internet pop culture: I know some stuff simply because they pop up somewhere or I hear people talking about them.

Celebrities? Don't give a crap. I do remember names of those who were in a movie I liked or just look good.

Music? Well if someone discussed top 25 solos of all time, I'd discuss why they're so good, the musical aspects. I know most basic facts about the bands I like, I know a lot about the musical aspects of bands I like.

When it comes to techniques of things I enjoy discussing them...a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I try to keep up a little on pop culture mainly so I don't feel stupid. :)

I used to watch entertainment shows when I was younger, but now don't have the time or patience for it. I need to keep up on music because that is what I do. And try to keep up on new and "young kids" music because I teach piano to kids so I need to know what they are into and want to learn. As for sports.... don't know, don't care. I think MAYBE my country's team might have just won the Stanley cup but I'm only speculating that from some friends' Facebook posts that said "GOLD!" or "YESSSS!". But *shrug* I don't care to ask. :p

I know something about Kim Kardashian (sp?) but only that she may or may not have a big butt and she is pretty and apparently does this wacky face contouring with makeup that gives her that 'special glow' that we (they) all love.

So yeah... I don't watch many movies, and when I do I don't remember details about them too much. I'd have to read a synopsis sometimes to remember what they were about.

I do watch shows like American Idol and The Voice because... music. :cool:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't care about sports or athletes, but I'm familiar enough with pop cultures but I'm not obsessed with it. I have a few music artists I like, but I'm not a fanatic or anything.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
No one has shouted necro yet? So does this mean we can revive this? It's actually something I'm interested in, because the ENTPs I know differ so much in this respect depending on their family and cultural background.

my ENTP brother: Anarcho-communist, not into any kind of main stream culture at all. Actually, he gets grumpy when fringe stuff becomes popular or attracts the wrong crowd for the wrong reason. Doesn't quote from movies etc., but makes Ne-references about books sometimes (and gets them wrong). Nationality: German. Family: idealistic INFP mother who brought him up to carry out the revolution that she can only dream of.

ENTP boss: Has a carefully constructed Mr Popular-Sporty-Guy, fake-ESTP persona that he uses to impress people and to fit in with other men, but actually dislikes real ESTPs. Plays lots of sports himself, but actually is far better at analysing, coaching and organising sports events (never ever admits directly that this is the case, but can be encouraged to talk about these things when I complain about how my ENTP pupil behaves exactly the same way as him). Follows sports that he doesn't actually play and isn't all that interested in himself, so that he can talk to fans of those sports. Quotes from movies that are somewhere in between super popular and super artsy/geeky. Sometimes comes out with references about theatre, acting etc. that seem incredibly cultured compared to his fake ESTP-ness.
Nationality: British. Family: don't know.

ENTP pupil: Nationality: Spanish. Same as ENTP boss. When talking to his mates, he shows off about how he is (or will be) a famous footballer, but he actually doesn't like arrogant famous sports people and is scared of violent sports. In reality, he wants to be a football journalist and is good at analysing and debating football. Doesn't watch much popular TV because Spanish parents don't let their children watch crap all day. Doesn't quote from movies at all. Doesn't get excited about movies or new trends etc. either. E.g. when people gush about sushi, he's like "Yeah, it's nice, but it's just fish mate." or when an F teacher asks the class how a poem or movie makes them feel, he goes "I don't care it's just a movie."

Both my ENTP boss and ENTP kid can be incredibly frustrating to talk to sometimes, because they hide their ENTPness so well that sometimes they can't even let go of the fake-ESTPness when they're talking to somebody who a) sees through it and b) isn't interested in fake-ESTPs.

edit to add: both ENTP boss and ENTP kid go to more or less popular events, but more often than not it's because of their mates.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
In my class, I'm known as the guy who knows everything about everything, but is living under a rock when it comes to pop culture. Completely oblivious. Dutch pop culture anyway.

I'm big into music, but nothing that is on the radio. Who needs the radio when you have the internet (if you have a wide variety of pretty specific tastes like I do)?

Reactions: Tom Soy Sauce

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't follow any trends or pop culture related things. The only time I do is when I stumble upon something I like, which just so happens to be really popular and I don't know/realize. Like I really got into Breaking Bad, not because everyone raved about it but because I really liked the concept so I gave it a shot. I don't care if something I like is heavily followed or deemed esoteric, I like what I like.

The only thing I'm heavily invested in his the NFL, big time. Every other sport I couldn't give less of a shit about.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I get obsessive about shows and pop culture and always have. I love music, comics, some Sci-fi. It is constantly changing though depending on whether the show is airing new episodes or not. I am a Doctor Who fan, love Marvel movies and comics, Walking Dead, Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Castle, etc. I love the Nerdist and Happy, Sad, Confused podcasts. I also am a fan of my local baseball and hockey teams (enough to go to their conventions). I always enjoy the World Cup, however, I am generally not too interested in football/soccer the other 3 years.

I find though that I am interested in a lot of things, not just pop culture. It is like I constantly want to learn things. I watch random documentaries on anything from history to science to biographies. However, like most everything I do as an ENTP, my interest in something wanes once I have a complete understanding of it. I move on to the next thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts