Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is exactly what it looks like, a vile attempt to circumvent our dominant and auxialiary functions :kitteh:

I am ready to be overwhelmed by so much gusto awww <3

·
Registered
585 Posts
For me, Fe is a little like booze. For one, it's kinda like that thing on the grocery list that I'm either forgetting or buying too much of. There's no doubt it can be fun and intoxicating. Yet, inevitably, the next day I feel weird--like I might have said something embarrassing--and I just want to be alone.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I love me some Fe. But sadly, most people make it feel like it's wasted on them.

Reactions: TimeWillTell

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How did you use your Fe today?

On why I thought of this thread.
I think that a judicious use of Fe is what makes us feel socially comfortable and we sometimes (quite often) need it. I planned on using it as a source of inspiration and optimism for when I ll feel down which isn't the case atm :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
For me, Fe is a little like booze. For one, it's kinda like that thing on the grocery list that I'm either forgetting or buying too much of. There's no doubt it can be fun and intoxicating. Yet, inevitably, the next day I feel weird--like I might have said something embarrassing--and I just want to be alone.
INTP still doubting if not ENTP here - this is SO spot on :) it might be the most accurate description I've ever read about how one might experience Fe

·
Registered
315 Posts
I feel a little beside myself when my Fe isn't appreciated, it's not often I show emotional regard I have for people in general.

-For others, Fe is all inclusive: compliments, concern for how their day is going, material concerns, etc...
-For me, Fe is purely emotion. When my emotions are dismissed I default into robot mode even when I don't want to. :unsure:

I've only met one person who genuinely sounds insincere when it comes to Fe expressions, but I realized writing this post that I'm more likely to joke about my feelings so I don't get hurt. So I can relate to the perceived insincerity, even though I'm dead serious.

But kudos to @aliceinbrc, probably the best explanation I'll run across on this topic.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel a little beside myself when my Fe isn't appreciated, it's not often I show emotional regard I have for people in general.

-For others, Fe is all inclusive: compliments, concern for how their day is going, material concerns, etc...
-For me, Fe is purely emotion. When my emotions are dismissed I default into robot mode even when I don't want to. :unsure:

I've only met one person who genuinely sounds insincere when it comes to Fe expressions, but I realized writing this post that I'm more likely to joke about my feelings so I don't get hurt. So I can relate to the perceived insincerity, even though I'm dead serious.

But kudos to @aliceinbrc, probably the best explanation I'll run across on this topic.
Bolded parts remind me about things I ve been advocating recently.
Fe is also about external validation, we d love to see that our emotional display would trigger the expected reaction. When we fail, we tend to blame ourselves and ... add to our social anxiety ... and you got a vicious circle of depression.

Personal growth would be about consciously and willingly crafting that Tertiary function, (Fe in our case), even when it fucking hurts. IMO it is the most rewarding hardwork one can do to himself.

I think I just found the key to happiness according to MBTI :D Blaaah

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think one of the reasons *NTP's are drawn to the cognitive functions framework is that it provides a comfortable--if not somewhat detached--way to discuss the non-confident emotional side of our personality. It even gives us scientific (looking) terminology, which we can cling to like a security blanket. See, because *we* don't have feelings. We might, however, have "Fe" ... which sounds like an unstable element. The only thing better would have been a Greek letter. Perhaps φ?

As for the difference between tertiary and inferior Fe (mentioned implicitly by @dwelfusius), both ENTPs and INTPs are going to have trust issues with their emotional side because it gets both into "trouble." I think the distinction here (and how you might be able to determine your type) is revealed by looking at our beloved friend, Ti. Remember, the judging functions in your stack (like the perceiving functions) pull at each other. The resulting tension is initially very unsettling, but ultimately (we hope) a person is able to integrate the weaker function authentically.

Since Ti is the INTPs' dominant function, incorporation of Fe causes them to rethink their intrinsic judgment about the world as a solvable puzzle. This is painful for INTPs because they existed for a long time believing they were well on their way to working out exactly how the universe operates. But Fe is also fascinating to INTPs because its a whole new world to explore.

Because Ti is still followed by Fe, ENTPs experience a tension similar to the one plaguing their introverted brethren. However, this tension is not intrinsic to the ENTP. Since Ti is our creative tool (that which we use to nail down our restless Ne), Fe works to color the way we perceive and express our interaction with the world. It doesn't rattle our ontological foundations. Rather, our demons come in the form of that cruel bastard Si.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Today my friend told me that I might use my Fe after all. Makes me wonder how emotionally impaired I was before...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I use Fe to spice up conversations. I use it to express my ideas to someone.

When im drunk I sometimes go full Fe, never go full Fe.

When Fe is used as etiquette (courtesy) I feel weird. What are they trying to do, bore me into a lame response?

Or some INTP's that are just so unauthentic with their Fe. They make me feel so awkward with those easy stupid questions, I know they dont care what my response is. I just try and change the topic as soon as possible before I start to feel like a loser answering them.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When im drunk I sometimes go full Fe, never go full Fe.
When Fe is used as etiquette I feel weird. What are they trying to do, bore me into a lame response?
Response to red : I see Fe as being an attention whore who needs to be tamed (by Ti, and Ti needs to be wrapped into some Fe, we know how to be charming, it s instinctive :D) so that it can only focus on the positive.
Response to blue : Because we all agree that fucking etiquette stuff have no interesting rationale to sustain it :D

Reactions: reptilian

·
Registered
183 Posts
My relationship with Fe is love/hate.

When it leads me right and the brief period of vulnerability is rewarded, it's one of the best feelings in the world.
When my efforts go unacknowledged, I start to feel drained and have to withdraw for a little while to reorient myself.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
When my efforts go unacknowledged, I start to feel drained and have to withdraw for a little while to reorient myself.
The same, except that I always start wondering if there's a possibility to manipulate myself to become a permanent INTP so that I wouldn't need people

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The same, except that I always start wondering if there's a possibility to manipulate myself to become a permanent INTP so that I wouldn't need people
Tell me if you ever find out :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
ENTPs are often accused of "deflecting" our emotions with humor, as if it were a defense mechanism. That's really a very lazy way of looking at it. We are most comfortable using Ne-Ti to express ourselves, so that's obviously going to be the filter through which we process emotions. We aren't behaving passively, we are stating ourselves very clearly ... just in our own whackadoodle language.

Our type has a fear (fueled by inferior Si) that we aren't experiencing emotions "properly." That we are "bad" at it because others are baffled by the way we express our feelings. You know what, the "others" can't suck it. I don't want to tell you I'm "sad." Your word is boring and simplistic, and I have a much better, much more comprehensive and nuanced way to express it. It may be abstract, at times, or it may be a little long winded. But I am not "refusing to face my emotions." YOU are refusing to elevate yourself high enough to UNDERSTAND my emotions!

<pants> ...

I mean, um ... has anyone ever eaten Spam? I'm thinking of trying it ...

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see Fe as a hook my psyche was provided with. I could either complain that it is an ugly hook and that it only grasps unwanted shitty things or by some magics try to arrange it in a way that could seem more appealing to what I really want to attract.

LOL I love ramblings :D

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can I have a sandwich of your salty mooshy regurgitated ham? :D Since it persists, should be doable :D

Reactions: aliceinbrc
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.