Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quit my boring IT Consulting job on Friday (although they are keeping until the end of April, :frustrating:) to start my own company! I'm so fucking stoked, words can't describe. I haven't felt this energized since Sophmore year of college, it's like my beaten down Ne has risen from the ashes. What a difference the outlook of an exciting project makes.

My co-founded is a good friend and current coworker INTJ, so needless to say, we'll be unstoppable.

My question is, do other ENTP-eneurs have any important advice/resources to share? I've been browsing TechCrunch on a regular basis (which has surprisingly good editorials on the matter) and currently reading through my roommate's course packet from a class on Entrepreneurship he took at Booth (Chicago Business School). I also got an issue of Entrepreneur magazine but it's mostly SP fluff (random 'buzz' facts and stories).

Much appreciated!

PS: My advice to young ENTPs out there starting their career, if you have a choice, don't linger in corporate jobs like consulting or banking, the work is BS and there is very little room for career growth. You are essentially a commodity they want to milk for as much busy work as possible. Start-ups are by far the best environment for versatile, ingenious types like ENTPs.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Congratulations on taking the plunge! Firstly, make an estimate of how much capital you require to start up, and multiply that by two. You need some room to fuck up. Whiche brings me to the second point...

You're going to fuck up a lot. Don't get discouraged, learn from the experiences.

Websites talk all about how you gotta go to conferences and shit to stay "in the loop" in your industry and to network, but personally I don't think it's the most important thing. Bring me to...

Cashflow. This is the number one thing you should be focused on right from the get go. Everywhere you go tell people about what it is you do. Sell sell sell. Afterall, unless you're making money, you're not actually in business. This was the biggest lesson I learned.

Don't spend money on anything unless you really need it. I learned this the hard way and early mistakes from two years ago are still costing me.

Oh, and be prepared for some wild mood swings. Some days you're going to feel like a king who is completely free, and other days you're going to feel like a complete failure. Stay positive always. And never give up.

Also people are going to tell you it's a stupid decision. Ignore them. One day they'll be begging you for a job.

If your original plan isn't working, tweak and keep tweaking. Whatever makes money while staying related to your bigger vision.

And be careful working with friends. I tried starting another business with a friend once and it almost ruined our relationship. Luckily I pulled out when I became aware of what was happening.

That's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Go boy! You are taking the best decision. ENTPs are born entrepereneurs! I'm sure you will succeed.
Best wishes and good luck. Hands off to ENTPreneurs!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
You people and your finances and business and...
Gah, bad with any business lingo.

Anyways wish you luck, oh hell, you don't need luck, you need ammo/money/connections.
Actually, maybe luck does play a part in this. Have fun butchering rabbits and clovers then.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on taking the plunge! Firstly, make an estimate of how much capital you require to start up, and multiply that by two. You need some room to fuck up. Whiche brings me to the second point...

You're going to fuck up a lot. Don't get discouraged, learn from the experiences.

Websites talk all about how you gotta go to conferences and shit to stay "in the loop" in your industry and to network, but personally I don't think it's the most important thing. Bring me to...

Cashflow. This is the number one thing you should be focused on right from the get go. Everywhere you go tell people about what it is you do. Sell sell sell. Afterall, unless you're making money, you're not actually in business. This was the biggest lesson I learned.

Don't spend money on anything unless you really need it. I learned this the hard way and early mistakes from two years ago are still costing me.

Oh, and be prepared for some wild mood swings. Some days you're going to feel like a king who is completely free, and other days you're going to feel like a complete failure. Stay positive always. And never give up.

Also people are going to tell you it's a stupid decision. Ignore them. One day they'll be begging you for a job.

If your original plan isn't working, tweak and keep tweaking. Whatever makes money while staying related to your bigger vision.

And be careful working with friends. I tried starting another business with a friend once and it almost ruined our relationship. Luckily I pulled out when I became aware of what was happening.

That's all I can think of for now.
Thanks, that is all good advice. I have potential investors lined up, so the financial aspect is promising.
I've also realized that contacts and networking is like 50% of the job - not only for future internal resources but also investors and advisers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts