Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
en·tre·pre·neurn. A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.

I love business... a lot. Specifically I enjoy looking at ways I can help people get better at what they do. I wanted to start this thread to discuss ideas as it relates to business ventures.

As a backgrounder I am a 15 year sales and marketing executive with extensive experience in market development, strategic positioning, and innovating in the mid-market and enterprise technology space.

So here's a couple ideas that I have been kicking around (feedback is much appreciated);

Mentoring Network
With the advent of LinkedIn people have become empowered to really present themselves, their accomplishments, and their career goals in a very social way. What seems to be missing is a way to create deeper and more lasting relationships that really matter. Mentoring seems to be somewhat of a hidden art. Mentors traditionally provide feedback, inspire, and share their experiences to the individuals they are mentoring. I am lucky enough to have had several great mentors in my life which have made success in my career possible. The goal of a mentor network is to monitor, drive, inspire, and encourage others to achieve in a very social way. Focusing on goals, networking, and grouping, the mentor network is something that can benefit: students, professionals, and just about anyone looking for guidance.

I have lots of ideas on how this comes together to be very unique compared to other social networks out there.

Brand Builder
After 11 years with one of the worlds most powerful brands there is one common theme that seems to elude most midsize business in today's age, the importance of a very solid brand and image. Leveraging psychological assessment, market research, and product analysis, Brand Builder focuses on creating a formula for customizable brand creation for small and midsize business at an affordable price. Brand Builder combines freelance graphic artists, savvy marketers, and independent consultants in an online marketplace. This is a B2B service idea.

Have any ideas? Want to have some shit thrown at it? Looking for constructive feedback (or deconstructive)? Post up an idea.

Reactions: Snakecharmer

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/135057-ne-asset-liability-web-developer.html

This (above link) is some of my background and reason for delving into PerC
I don't yet see a new spin on what you are proposing but I like your background.
I've thought about how an entrepreneurial forum with the right people on it, maybe closed at first, or maybe like Perc but more marketing focused - would have a lot of readership of like-minded people.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a notebook with over 120+ mobile and social app ideas. Now it's a matter of getting the motivation to be able sit down and execute on some of these ideas.
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about execution of these types of ideas. The funny thing is there is nothing quite like partnerships. I think a solid INTJ is always what the doctor order when it comes to execution.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about execution of these types of ideas. The funny thing is there is nothing quite like partnerships. I think a solid INTJ is always what the doctor order when it comes to execution.
Eventually that might work. The biggest thing I need to do is learn to code. Once I've mastered a skill I can perform it without thinking twice. I'm a Systems Administrator by trade and know that side of the house well. I know the few coding classes I took, once I learned some of the (basic) coding, it just rolled off my fingertips. I think it's a matter of just getting to know a language really well and then consuming some major caffeine and putting myself in front of a computer. Before I know it, I'll crank out a ton of those apps. The biggest thing is getting the motivation to learn how to code well. Those books are so dry and boring and ultimately put me to sleep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I imagine a mentoring network like you describe with a substantial amount of members I cannot see it succeeding. Although I do like the idea and would like a mentor of my own.

Here are my thoughts on it:
Low number of mentors (Could be difficult finding capable professionals who want to mentor.)
Mentors risk being taken advantage of by students (Leeches).
The value of being a mentor to a random person online seems low.
Lack of benefits for mentors unless they charge a fee; however this would attract charlatans.

One of my small ideas is to create a colored intimate lubricant and/or body paint, I recently abandoned the idea as I don't think there's a market for it. :tongue:

·
Banned
5,780 Posts

Brand Builder
After 11 years with one of the worlds most powerful brands there is one common theme that seems to elude most midsize business in today's age, the importance of a very solid brand and image. Leveraging psychological assessment, market research, and product analysis, Brand Builder focuses on creating a formula for customizable brand creation for small and midsize business at an affordable price. Brand Builder combines freelance graphic artists, savvy marketers, and independent consultants in an online marketplace. This is a B2B service idea.

Have any ideas? Want to have some shit thrown at it? Looking for constructive feedback (or deconstructive)? Post up an idea.
I don't really know if a formula for building an amazing brand can be made. There are relevant similarities for all of the successful ones, but there are also relevant differences. It would be interesting to see this "formula" or at least I think it would be more appropriately considered "guidelines". Building a brand image is really tough, and continuing that image is even more difficult. It's more than just marketing.

·
Banned
478 Posts
OP,

All those ideas appear to be for pushing someones ready idea even further. And in current market conditions, the probability that you are going to push a wrong brand over people throats down is so great, that it almost goes without saying.

Have you ever thought that the brand that you are going to promote is probably an imported stuff that only undermines the already existing market? Do you understand that by doing so, you are gutting the potential clients that you might have? What kind of short sighted thinking is that?

Do you even understand what a real entrepreneur should do? Bringing stuff from abroad and shove it down the people throat is not a skill. It's for no brainers.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I like the idea of a mentoring network. As for design and implementation, well...I'd need some time to think on those.

I much prefer to be self-employed and am working on getting back there. I owned a nutrition consulting/hypnotherapy business when I was married (joint business with my ex-husband, who is a chiropractor). Divorce left me having to start over. Long story.

I also owned a residential cleaning company, but I closed it when my current employer recruited me (this job is in my field and is a position that is hard to come by).

But...I really dislike my current job, and I can't stand working for someone else (especially for a company that makes terrible business decisions).

So, I am planning to move to my home state in a few months. I'll be debt-free by then, and I plan to open a boot camp/kettlebell studio with private nutrition counseling and hypnotherapy.

A wellness center, in a sense.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I don't really know if a formula for building an amazing brand can be made. There are relevant similarities for all of the successful ones, but there are also relevant differences. It would be interesting to see this "formula" or at least I think it would be more appropriately considered "guidelines". Building a brand image is really tough, and continuing that image is even more difficult. It's more than just marketing.
Plenty of ad agencies do this off-line that's what they are in business for.
Different agencies have built all the angles they believe are needed (for effective marketing), into their own business model (what they will offer or consult on), and whatever serves as the creative brief they use - is what helps them line up the model and the customers goals. So that is a formula of sorts.

If you search for them, people on-line are doing it in a kind of half-ass crappy way, - like VisatPrint?

the3rdpower have you researched who your competitors might be?
By competitors I mean to include indirect competition; that's the tricky part because even when you have a good thing going, that doesn't mean that prospects wont think something else is just as good (right or wrong they vote with page views, or money).
Also, I agree with you about LinkedIn, you can get involved in local discussion groups and I do think it is worthwhile but you have to think of it like a cocktail party, make an appearance and keep things lite.

I would love to be a member of an Entp club where members have to get voted in, people who seriously want to do stuff, but the ground rules for that I don't know. - Yet.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP,

All those ideas appear to be for pushing someones ready idea even further. And in current market conditions, the probability that you are going to push a wrong brand over people throats down is so great, that it almost goes without saying.

Have you ever thought that the brand that you are going to promote is probably an imported stuff that only undermines the already existing market? Do you understand that by doing so, you are gutting the potential clients that you might have? What kind of short sighted thinking is that?

Do you even understand what a real entrepreneur should do? Bringing stuff from abroad and shove it down the people throat is not a skill. It's for no brainers.
Thanks for joining the conversation @Entejay . I would be the first to admit that I do appreciate a good ENTJ... albeit a critical one without any vestige backing. First point... I am not sure I understand your position. It's quite simple. Pain = low market penetration of products due to lack of associated brand, lack of vision for the identity, lack of marketing strategy for stated brand. Solution = brand building marketplace which leverages repeatable outcomes for clients. Should leverage cloud technology, brand psychology, and a group of solid designers to create a affordable solution for small businesses. It's not elegant or consultative... it takes the place of some of the more costly brand building firms and attempts to shrink down the process. Duly noted the solution needs much more refinement but the premise is sound. As far as you last comment about a "real entrepreneur", maybe I am getting it wrong and you have a better definition. What exactly is a "real entrepreneur" and when do these "real entrepreneurs" not bring novel services or solutions to an industry? Help me out here because to me it sounds as though you are spewing hate versus counterpointing with some type of useful insights. Marshall on by all means...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plenty of ad agencies do this off-line that's what they are in business for.
Different agencies have built all the angles they believe are needed (for effective marketing), into their own business model (what they will offer or consult on), and whatever serves as the creative brief they use - is what helps them line up the model and the customers goals. So that is a formula of sorts.

If you search for them, people on-line are doing it in a kind of half-ass crappy way, - like VisatPrint?

the3rdpower have you researched who your competitors might be?
By competitors I mean to include indirect competition; that's the tricky part because even when you have a good thing going, that doesn't mean that prospects wont think something else is just as good (right or wrong they vote with page views, or money).
Also, I agree with you about LinkedIn, you can get involved in local discussion groups and I do think it is worthwhile but you have to think of it like a cocktail party, make an appearance and keep things lite.

I would love to be a member of an Entp club where members have to get voted in, people who seriously want to do stuff, but the ground rules for that I don't know. - Yet.
Competition would be ad agencies, branding shops... I don't know enough about the industry and need to do more research. There has to be a way to help a small business establish a brand that is repeatable, cost effective, and focuses on working within the conformities of things like Salesforce.com, etc to help build a solid social go-to-market strategy. LinkedIn is great but it stops pretty quickly when it comes to value to users. Their profits are based on replicating the recruiting industry. That's where the vast majority of their revenues are derived.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
solid social go-to-market strategy. . . Interesting. I took a look at Salesforce.com and I don't want to seem dumb or anything but the site seems like you have to already know what you want or know what you need to be able to get any benefit from it?

I've been thinking along the same lines as you but probably smaller scale. My customers have been retailers and car dealerships. Some of them know they have to spend money on advertising. Some of them seemed lost, like stabbing around at all the free stuff and then none of it works together. How 'bout liquor stores saying friend us on Facebook? Maybe I'm wrong but Facebook fans and friends are connecting because of what their connections say about them. Soooo how is it that I want everyone to see that I love Joe's party store? I just mean people are frantically doing things with no strategy.

So I think the market is there if you can convince people, or line up the pricing and the results for them to believe it is worth it.
For what has been my customer base, the thing will also be to make things seem direct and simple, because if they are not frantically stabbing around then they are overwhelmed; They may welcome the right kind of help either way.

About linkedin, the only way I see it useful for myself is local group discussion, and linking off that. Which could be a good thing if I knew how to play it - maybe. Trouble is these groups seem to get filled up with middle management people who just want to feel busy? A lot of mediocre stuff gets passed around. Maybe it works for some? That company name circulating is better than not, even if the link was to an article about 101 new ways to whistle in the dark? BTW, I might want to stay annomous here but twitter has been working for me, even if it is just seo assistance. Google Docs has worked well enough for cloud, Love Google Voice, and Freshbooks.
http://www.wildfireapp.com < I saw this and have info on them dating back before google owned them, must go back a few years. (something like salesforce,com)

·
Registered
226 Posts
OP,

"Wrong brand"? The only wrong brand is one that sends the wrong message, and doesn't help promote the business. Where did you get this "imported stuff" from OP's post? Stop writing words into the OP's post.

The only thing I see there is helping midsize businesses become more brand savvy, and they definitely need help in this area. Most mid size business marketing (especially in the ERP/CRM space and corporate selling space) is atrocious. Messaging is simply horrible, websites are outdated and bland. If appropriated properly, this could work.

And OP, don't get bowled over so quickly, this guy's opinion does not equal fact, especially since he didn't even bother explaining from which part of his ass he pulled this nonsense. It's all just broad strokes and balloon deflating spiel, typical power play.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
"Wrong brand"? The only wrong brand is one that sends the wrong message, and doesn't help promote the business. Where did you get this "imported stuff" from OP's post? Stop writing words into the OP's post.

The only thing I see there is helping midsize businesses become more brand savvy, and they definitely need help in this area. Most mid size business marketing (especially in the ERP/CRM space and corporate selling space) is atrocious. Messaging is simply horrible, websites are outdated and bland. If appropriated properly, this could work.

And OP, don't get bowled over so quickly, this guy's opinion does not equal fact, especially since he didn't even bother explaining from which part of his ass he pulled this nonsense. It's all just broad strokes and balloon deflating spiel, typical power play.
Bonus points:

-We Import A LOT more than we export, don't think anyone would care anymore.
-People keep buying the Atari brand just because of its previous history of awesomness, "wrong brand" can't be a "wrong brand", without a "wrong history".
-Last time I checked people think Steve Jobs is an "entrepeneur", and he hasn't come up with any original idea ever since ever.
-I'm guessing the ass he pulls things out of is his half-ass, adjacent to his quadruple ass, and dickbutt.

Besides thinking of a "completely new idea" is like thinking of a new color, it's already been done before, you're just putting your own spin on it and let all fuck get all fucked up for the sake of...
something?

tl;dr we iz a conzumer economiz yo.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Bonus points:

-We Import A LOT more than we export, don't think anyone would care anymore.
-People keep buying the Atari brand just because of its previous history of awesomness, "wrong brand" can't be a "wrong brand", without a "wrong history".
-Last time I checked people think Steve Jobs is an "entrepeneur", and he hasn't come up with any original idea ever since ever.
-I'm guessing the ass he pulls things out of is his half-ass, adjacent to his quadruple ass, and dickbutt.

Besides thinking of a "completely new idea" is like thinking of a new color, it's already been done before, you're just putting your own spin on it and let all fuck get all fucked up for the sake of...
something?

tl;dr we iz a conzumer economiz yo.
I agree with you about nothing being new. You still have to have a competitive advantage. So what is it?
For anyone on here with an idea, that is the bottom line. Competitive advantage means like it or not you need to go out and get a strong dose of TE. Unless you really do want to just blow around a lot of hot air about things you will never do anyway.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I agree with you about nothing being new. You still have to have a competitive advantage. So what is it?
For anyone on here with an idea, that is the bottom line. Competitive advantage means like it or not you need to go out and get a strong dose of TE. Unless you really do want to just blow around a lot of hot air about things you will never do anyway.
What do you mean by TE?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Pain = low market penetration of products due to lack of associated brand, lack of vision for the identity, lack of marketing strategy for stated brand. Solution = brand building marketplace which leverages repeatable outcomes for clients.
How about .. people can't afford it. Does it mean anything?

Have you ever worked in area of business other than advertising?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
What do you mean by TE?
The extroverted practice of and quantifying, qualifying, seeing out there in the real world, who your competitors might be, etc. In many businesses you are still going to have a subjective factor. I think it was Ne for FaceBook owner, for example, to know that the value of that company was it's perceived Koolness, that introducing advertising at the wrong time would ruin the nature of what FaceBook was becoming. Not speculating on it's future, just saying yes, you can have a great idea, but most of us need more than that.

Their are many different kinds of business models, but the first step is to get some perspective. You have to come outside of your own head. You have to figgure out what has already been done to death. Talk to people who are in related types of companies. This is already assuming you have some knowledge about who your best prospects might be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts