Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was an ENTJ, but after reading more about the types, I'm starting to think I may be a ENTP. Can you guys help me out and quiz me or help me work out the differences or something? Additionally, I'm fairly certain that I am an 8w7, if that helps at all. :happy:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yeah, ENTJ and ENTP are waaaay different. Te-Ni or Ne-Ti? Do your research on the cognitive functions and then we'll talk. :proud:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What in the descriptions of ENTPs do you think applies to you? What in the ENTJ descriptions are you not identifying with?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the first assessment and I definitely didn't understand it because I got Fi and Se, which lead to ISFP. That's the exact opposite of one of my choices. I'll just completely disregard this one :tongue:

From what I've read, Te sounds partially like me. I am an organized person, but just a little more than the average person. I do apply logic, but I don't check for consequences all of the time. I don't set boundaries, but I do normally set guidelines.

Ni sounds pretty accurate.

Ne also sounds partially like me. I'll pick up on meanings and am drawn to change, but I don't always notice what is not said unless I am reading it.

Ti also sounds pretty accurate.

ENTP sounds like it does not fit me because I don't think of arguing as a sport and I don't recall ever hurting anyone by arguing too much, but I do enjoy arguing. This also fits why I would not fit into being an ENTJ, but I am almost completely sure I am one of these two types.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I took the first assessment and I definitely didn't understand it because I got Fi and Se, which lead to ISFP. That's the exact opposite of one of my choices. I'll just completely disregard this one :tongue:

From what I've read, Te sounds partially like me. I am an organized person, but just a little more than the average person. I do apply logic, but I don't check for consequences all of the time. I don't set boundaries, but I do normally set guidelines.

Ni sounds pretty accurate.

Ne also sounds partially like me. I'll pick up on meanings and am drawn to change, but I don't always notice what is not said unless I am reading it.

Ti also sounds pretty accurate.

ENTP sounds like it does not fit me because I don't think of arguing as a sport and I don't recall ever hurting anyone by arguing too much, but I do enjoy arguing. This also fits why I would not fit into being an ENTJ, but I am almost completely sure I am one of these two types.
I probably should be able to figure this out from what you've said already, but could use more input from you... :happy:

Could you post the entire results from the first link's test, if you have them?

You seem to have been reading about the cognitive functions at ENFP Wiki and that's reliable information as far as I know... So, let me put it like this: if you had to choose just one of all the functions to describe your dominant function, which one would that be?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably should be able to figure this out from what you've said already, but could use more input from you... :happy:

Could you post the entire results from the first link's test, if you have them?

You seem to have been reading about the cognitive functions at ENFP Wiki and that's reliable information as far as I know... So, let me put it like this: if you had to choose just one of all the functions to describe your dominant function, which one would that be?
As soon as I got the results of the first test, I closed out of it. I was not very happy with being typed as an ISFP. Not that there's anything wrong with them!

I actually wasn't using that site, but now I am and everything makes more sense. :proud: I am having a very tough time deciding between Te and Ne, so to break the tie, between Ni and Ti, I'm a Ti. Does it work that way, or am I making up rules as I go?

·
Registered
479 Posts
For a while I kept going back and forth between ENTJ and ENTP. Yes, they're totally different cognitive functions, but if you have strong N and T it can be hard to figure out whether you use Ne/Ni/Te/Ti more than the others. You really have to examine them and see which best apply to you.

Btw, I had to be told several times not to believe in the ENTP stereotypes before I believed it -- we're not all arguers, we're just all good at it when necessary. :) ENTJs aren't all bossy control freaks either.

Try hanging around the ENTP and ENTJ forums (there are awesome articles at both) and see which one seems more you.

Reactions: KatHorcrux

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If it helps, here's some stuff I've written on the subject:

Comparisons:
- Te or Ti (Organizing vs. Analyzing)
- Te users apply their thinking outwardly. This function deals with controlling the outer world and maximizing efficiency. It compels users to be decisive and results-focused at all costs. If you use Te, then you also use Fi.
- Ti users apply their thinking inwardly. This function deals with categorizing and defining within the inner world and creating theories. It compels users to seek explanations and clarity. If you use Ti, then you also use Fe.
- Ne or Ni (Creating vs. Understanding)
- Ne users apply their intuiting outwardly. This function deals with coming up with new possibilities beyond the present and promoting ideas. It compels users to transcend the present by creating the future. If you use Ne, then you also use Si.
- Ni users apply their intuiting inwardly. This function deals with finding explanatory new perspectives as to how things are and promoting underlying principles. It compels users to transcend the present by understanding it. If you use Ni, then you also use Se.

Further explanations and "symptoms":
- Te: “Organizing” – “Sorting and controlling the outer world”
- “Symptoms” of Te use: Can seem impersonal; “executive;” tendency to overthink and overplan; care about what’s tried, true, and effective; trust formulas over feelings; can be highly critical; able to get things done; willing to be tough when needed; epitome of efficiency; very hard on self; desire to make decisions; consciously establish personal rules to follow; not hesitant to express dissatisfaction or negative thoughts; “overachiever;” desire to control whatever possible.
- Ti: “Analyzing” – “Sorting and defining the inner world”
- “Symptoms” of Ti use: Cynical; seeks clarity, but seems very complex in the process; difficulty communicating thoughts to others; almost always inwardly absorbed in the analysis-du-jour; organize the principles rather than the actual, physical things; misunderstood; much better at creating the idea or plan than carrying it out; pots of complicated, incomplete ideas; possible scholarly and intellectual; not inclined to believe something simple because they’re told so; scientifically-minded; can be detached.
- Ne: “Creating” – “Thinking outside of the box” – “Generating future possibilities”
- “Symptoms” of Ne use: Zest for life driven by a desire for learning in order to create anew using knowledge as a base; tendency to begin discussing one topic, find connection with something else, and continue getting farther and farther off-topic; unusual but often impeccable sense of humor; relative ease in “getting” people and even “seeing through” them; ability to solve problems before you quite know how; breadth but not so much depth of understanding; many thoughts at once, not all of them seemingly complete; tough to focus on one thing at a time; multitasking; frequently moving from enterprise to enterprise, finding a new passion.
- Ni: “Understanding” – “Thinking about the box” – “Understanding existing contexts”
- “Symptoms” of Ni use: Tendency to act “beyond your years;” tendency to get stuck on a topic and not want to move on until it is fully explained/understood; curious in a more inward-searching, researching manner; remarkably perceptive and somehow “always right;” seen as an expert in area(s) of choice; humor may often be misunderstood or unappreciated; possessing what feel like many profound ideas but having difficulty expressing and articulating them all; most likely to search for the meaning of life and other such questions; criticize and point out problems without necessarily moving to fix it; focused thinking; understanding and processing often happens unconsciously; easy to focus and/or clear mind.

Children with each dominant function:
- Te: Te-dominant children are focused and put-together. They know their goals and make natural leaders. These children are detail-oriented and even critical of themselves from early on.
- Ne: Ne-dominant children are bubbly and vivacious. They are forever asking questions and getting caught up in their imaginations. These children are charismatic and curious from early on.

And, for what it's worth, I've never, ever mistaken myself for a Te user. My ENTJ friend once mistyped as an ENTP, however. The only time I ever considered ENTJ was before I understood MBTI at all; I took some random online test and went back and forth between ENTJ and ENFP, wondering why neither one fit. Once I discovered ENTP, I pretty much just knew. Te and Fi are completely alien to me, and Ne defines my life completely. It's not just about having creativity and such -- it's how your brain works. Ne is a way of life. It's like the world is eternally open and full of sound -- everything hums with life and possibilities -- while Ni is much more narrow and a quieter function.

More differences between Ne and Ni:

I always imagine both Ne and Ni as functions that focus, above all, upon trying to break out of the present and focus on the future, but each does so through different methods. Ne seeks to break out of the present by focusing on ideas and possibilities and learning enough about a wide range of things in order to create the future from this knowledge; Ni seeks to break out of the present by fully understanding it and all of the principles behind it, and this deep understanding serves as the key to transcending it somehow.
Just check out this thread in general. Both I and others said a lot of good stuff:

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/25454-i-need-understand-ni.html

The discussion between me and my INTJ friend is especially telling, I think.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As soon as I got the results of the first test, I closed out of it. I was not very happy with being typed as an ISFP. Not that there's anything wrong with them!

I actually wasn't using that site, but now I am and everything makes more sense. :proud: I am having a very tough time deciding between Te and Ne, so to break the tie, between Ni and Ti, I'm a Ti. Does it work that way, or am I making up rules as I go?
That seems perfectly logical to me... If we assume Ti before Ni, and xNTx, that gives Ne before Te. Now that could still be any of INTJ (Ni,Te), INTP (Ti,Ne), ENTP (Ne,Ti) or ENTJ (Te,Ni). If we then also assume that you have correctly type yourself as an Exxx, as opposed to an Ixxx, we have two alternatives. The best thing would obviously be to identify your dominant as either Ne or Te. (The reason that I asked for which one you would choose if you had to choose just one from all of them was just to check if your functions match your typing yourself as an Exxx). We could assume that your dominant is either Ne or Ti and then try to decide based on thinking of your auxiliary as Ti. That would give ENTP (Ne, Ti, Fe, Si), but it seems to me to be a somewhat tentative conclusion...

The reason I asked for the full test results is that it could also be helpful to know which functions that are your weakest/least preferred. Your tertiary would normally be more developed than your inferior, but this is not always so. Still it can confirm or question the other observations.

Or you could just follow on with the ENTx people that have joined this thread as they would probably now their own type(s) better than I do...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If it helps, here's some stuff I've written on the subject: (...)
This looks very thought through. Do you have the rest of your notes somewhere public? I wouldn't mind having a closer look at them... :happy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much to both of you! I now actually understand the functions, so now it's just a matter of trying to figure out mine. :happy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
How "regular", meaning with little variation, is your handwriting? Typically "p" has more flexibility in their strokes, and their general layout on a page. Try looking at a page of your writing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts