Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help typing someone -- he is definitely a "T" but I really can't figure out the other cognitive functions. This is strange for me, because i usually have a good knack at figuring out people's types. I think I've almost ruled out him being an ISTJ, because two of my closest friends are ISTJ, and I don't see the parallels. At the same time, I haven't completely ruled this out, because I'm leaving into consideration the fact that I don't know him that well enough yet, there are some parallels, and he is older than the other ISTJs I know. So right now, it's a toss up for ENTx, xSTP and ISTJ. I listed some observations below. Thanks in advance for your help!

- Maverick
- Ivory tower
- Hedonistic (life is short and happiness is what we are pursuing).
- Thrill-seeking, adventure-seeking
- Not necessary "traditional" in the sense of family

- Believes in hard work, rewarding good, punishing bad behavior
- "Rigid" when it comes to protocol or other types of established criteria. Will take the time to explain why something doesn't meet protocol or criteria, but won't sugarcoat it or make exceptions
- Some say he's arrogant (I disagree)
- Very guarded, cautious… takes a while to warm up, but doesn't ever seem to open up

- loves to discuss theoretical and conceptual issues
- often ponders about the meaning and complexity of life
- often draws connections to the meaning of life in seemingly insignificant details (example: someone stepped on gum on the street, had to pause to remove the gum from shoe, and missed the crossing signal. He'd relate this to some aspect of his life where he was once inhibited from doing something because something got in the way, and will draw on how we can all relate to this in our lives).
- Likes to relate things back to him -- in conversations, likes to relate everything to his own experiences, friends' experiences, etc. Likes to relate the meaning of songs to his life. Without being able to relate to these things, he loses interest in that someone/something.
- Has strong moments of nostalgia, wistfulness, melancholy
-bouts of insomnia

- Likes to talk endlessly once on a topic of interest
- Gets side tracked easily when talking (goes off at a tangent and can't remember what he was saying)

- Confident around people but doesn't seem to seek out people
- Confident when talking to large groups (example: conference), but little rapport in one-on-one conversations; almost seems he isn't paying attention, but is.
- Has a good relationship with parents, but doesn't really keep in touch; will often joke about things they made him do manyyyy years later, but no hard feelings involved.
- Little or no concern in people's lives beyond basics (at least it seems that way, though once I figure out his type, I could figure out how he expresses his concern)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Hi Niss -- What are the major signifiers that would rule out ISTJ? I was uncertain because with my ISTJ friends, they fulfill at least one in each grouping above such as: ivory tower, being guarded, strong moments of nostalgia, talking endlessly on a topic of interest

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
^ Hi Niss -- What are the major signifiers that would rule out ISTJ? I was uncertain because with my ISTJ friends, they fulfill at least one in each grouping above such as: ivory tower, being guarded, strong moments of nostalgia, talking endlessly on a topic of interest
Taken in their entirety, the following are not ISTJ traits:

- Maverick

- often draws connections to the meaning of life in seemingly insignificant details (example: someone stepped on gum on the street, had to pause to remove the gum from shoe, and missed the crossing signal. He'd relate this to some aspect of his life where he was once inhibited from doing something because something got in the way, and will draw on how we can all relate to this in our lives).

- Confident when talking to large groups (example: conference), but little rapport in one-on-one conversations; almost seems he isn't paying attention, but is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm getting a Ni dominant vibe from your description (I think you can rule out ISTJ and xSTP.) i.e. Maverick (likely he is dominant intuitive type), loves to discuss theoretical and conceptual issues and often ponders about the meaning and complexity of life (Ni or Ne in top two functions), the connections he draws from insignificant details (that sounds like a Ni leap to me) - I would lean towards INTJ.

·
Banned
342 Posts
- Maverick
- Ivory tower
- Not necessary "traditional" in the sense of family
This first section but sounds very very STP, but...

- Believes in hard work, rewarding good, punishing bad behavior
- "Rigid" when it comes to protocol or other types of established criteria. Will take the time to explain why something doesn't meet protocol or criteria, but won't sugarcoat it or make exceptions
- Some say he's arrogant (I disagree)
- Very guarded, cautious… takes a while to warm up, but doesn't ever seem to open up
This section sounds much more IxTJ. The part about protocol is very Te, and the guarded/cautious nature, never really seeming to open up, is very typical of IxTJ.

- Likes to relate things back to him -- in conversations, likes to relate everything to his own experiences, friends' experiences, etc. Likes to relate the meaning of songs to his life. Without being able to relate to these things, he loses interest in that someone/something.
- Has strong moments of nostalgia, wistfulness, melancholy
-bouts of insomnia
This section pretty much rules out ISTJ. The part about the gum on someone's shoe symbolizing something getting in the way is really Ni.

Ne would probably relate the gum thing to some other time someone was crossing the street, or imagine what might have happened to the guy if [x random unrelated event] were to happen to him. Finding the underlying significance ("it's like when something gets in the way of the goals you want to complete in life"), the implied symbolism that rings true with his personal interpretation of deeper meaning, sounds much more Ni than Ne.

Relating things to his personal experiences with life sounds kind of Si at first glance, but Ni does this sort of thing too--for the Pi dom, everything has to be understood through the lens of the way the self attaches subjective meaning to it. Pi doms (both Ni and Si) are fascinated by this process.

Strong moments of nostalgia/wistfulness/melancholy sounds pretty Fi.

- Likes to talk endlessly once on a topic of interest
- Gets side tracked easily when talking (goes off at a tangent and can't remember what he was saying)
Now this is usually most apparent in NPs, which made me think ENTP for a minute, but his being guarded and having difficulty opening himself up, as well as strictness about protocol (NPs fucking hate protocol) seems to discount that possibility pretty fully.

- Confident around people but doesn't seem to seek out people
- Has a good relationship with parents, but doesn't really keep in touch; will often joke about things they made him do manyyyy years later, but no hard feelings involved.
- Little or no concern in people's lives beyond basics (at least it seems that way, though once I figure out his type, I could figure out how he expresses his concern)
I also considered ENTJ, but the way he doesn't seek people out or have much rapport in one-on-one conversations, or seem to insist on putting himself into positions of leadership and power or try to control others all that much seems to rule Te dominant out as well.

I actually think all of your suggestions (ENTx, xSTP, ISTJ) are wrong. If you've ruled out neither ENTP, ENTJ, nor ISTJ, how did you rule out INTJ? I'm gonna go with the guy above and say that one.

His strict adherence to protocol and externally imposed standards, but lack of directive control of others and his surroundings, is suggestive of an auxiliary Te mindset, rather than a dominant one.

Hedonism and adventure-seeking kind of throw off the case for INTJ a bit, but perhaps he has a strong expression of inferior Se. It sounds like he lets his Fi (nostalgia and melancholy, etc.) and Se (hedonism) show somewhat with people who are close to him, but otherwise doesn't like to show his weaker side unless you know him well.

The whole section about pondering the meaning and complexity of life and discussing theoretical ideas is characteristic of both Ni and Ne types (which includes numerous S types as well, I'm thinking specifically ISFP for the Ni), but since we've pretty much ruled out Ne at this point I think it's quite indicative of Ni.

So yeah, sounds like you've got an INTJ on your hands.

P.S.,

His enneagram sounds like 5w4, probably sp/sx. Does he get especially hedonistic when he's really stressed out and use indulgence in sensory pleasure as an escape (common expression of inferior Se)? That is typically what 5s do when they're disintegrating into 7s. (7 is the most naturally hedonistic enneagram type.)

·
Registered
535 Posts
He seems like an ISTP with well developed Ni to me. ISTPs can seem like NTs because of their dominant Ti, while still retaining the adventure seeking SP quality. Things like the gum incident suggest Ni, but not dominant Ni (it's a little bit too simplistic for that). Nostalgia usually implicates Fi, but I think inferior Fe might have similar effects.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm feeling really exhausted right now (going through a bout of insomnia...) and am feeling sleepy + feeling my eyes droop for the first time in a few days, so I'll come back and post a more thorough reply tomorrow. All of your responses are helpful and I'm going to have to do a more in-depth examination of this (when I get some sleep). I went through individual profiles of all the T types and damn. He fits a little bit of each... very confusing, will think about this further tmr

·
Banned
342 Posts
He seems like an ISTP with well developed Ni to me. ISTPs can seem like NTs because of their dominant Ti, while still retaining the adventure seeking SP quality. Things like the gum incident suggest Ni, but not dominant Ni (it's a little bit too simplistic for that). Nostalgia usually implicates Fi, but I think inferior Fe might have similar effects.
This is a good point, after posting I later thought ISTP with strong Ni might be the case. Could very well be that...ISTPs typically get irritated with too much talk about theoretical ideas that aren't directly applicable, but if they have strong Ni then I guess that changes.

I haven't met any really Ni-heavy ISTPs in real life, I don't think, so that's one I don't have much experience with.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a toss-up for this person, because when I read descriptions on the different type and go through the different forums, they all equally apply to him.

One thing that really strikes me is that this person struggles heavily over being torn between his idealism and reality. He often talks about how ideals are often not translated into reality, and this seems to be something he ponders over a LOT. I am an INFJ and I often think about the dissonance between reality and my ideals, but I tend to get stuck in a rut about this.

But for him, he seems to take a step back from this struggle (doesn't allow himself to get stuck in the rut like I do, where I'm torn between reality/idealism). Instead, he talks about how we can theoretically be more constructive by changing the way we think about things and how we approach this dissonance.

Thanks for all your patience in helping me. His mannerisms remind me of my ISTJ friends, but they are not quite the same. That his mannerisms fascinate me is another matter in itself...

·
Banned
342 Posts
It's a toss-up for this person, because when I read descriptions on the different type and go through the different forums, they all equally apply to him.

One thing that really strikes me is that this person struggles heavily over being torn between his idealism and reality. He often talks about how ideals are often not translated into reality, and this seems to be something he ponders over a LOT. I am an INFJ and I often think about the dissonance between reality and my ideals, but I tend to get stuck in a rut about this.

But for him, he seems to take a step back from this struggle (doesn't allow himself to get stuck in the rut like I do, where I'm torn between reality/idealism). Instead, he talks about how we can theoretically be more constructive by changing the way we think about things and how we approach this dissonance.

Thanks for all your patience in helping me. His mannerisms remind me of my ISTJ friends, but they are not quite the same. That his mannerisms fascinate me is another matter in itself...
ISTJs and INTJs have a lot of similar mannerisms, and tend to be such private people that it can be pretty hard to distinguish between the two until you get to know them fairly well.

Also, everything you just said sounds waaaay more INTJ than ISTP. ISTPs are by no means idealists; in fact, they're one of the most pragmatic and realistic types of all. Constantly worrying about the dissonance between his ideals and reality, and discussing how we can change the way we look at reality to better accommodate our ideals, sounds awfully INTJ here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts