Personality Cafe banner

Envy is beautiful

[Enneagram Type 4] 
2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Anubis 
#1 ·
I was recently thinking about ways in which my envy has benefitted me. I think my envy has helped me realize that nobody's talents actually belong to them, for they could lose them any second. This applies to me which is why I've been careful not to make others envious of myself.

In what ways has your envy benefitted you? Has it made you more talented/knowledgable than you would be if not for your envy?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

#3 ·
Envy has allowed me to express myself well in poetry and art, but it definitely hasn't helped my interpersonal skills. Though my envy of people I know well is usually pretty minor, anyways. I do think emotions are beautiful, though their actions aren't if they result in violence or cruelty.

#6 ·
I hasn't.

10char

#8 ·
My experience with envy isn't beautiful.

I hate envy. So much. I hate myself for being so envious. I can't stop it. Although it has calmed down a bit, I feel like I can never find my true self if I keep on envying.
But the feeling of envy was so comfortable, like a home to me. I wish to be seen a certain way and even convinced myself that I am that way. It took so long for me to even realistically realize that... I'm not.
I have trouble realizing what I actually want because in my head, I basically live two lives. One that I am envious of, and the other where I can actually achieve in reality. If I wasn't so envious, I could of achieved so much more.

I really don't know what to do next.

#10 ·
our negative emotions are there to remind us of how much we take for granted, it opens our eyes to what we actually have. We need negative emotions as much as positive ones because it creates a balance that will drive us forward.

Think of this, if we didn't have negative emotions like envy, then we wouldn't truly understand our positive ones.

#11 ·
I once envied a friend of mine because he stopped smoking. It made me quit smoking with relative ease; until then I never imagined that I would ever be able to stop, that it would follow me until I died of old age. Now I've been smoke-free (or at least nicotine-free) for well over a year and I actually can't see how I was ever able to smoke cigarettes in the first place; every day for 5 years my body has been a train wreck and my mind has been clouded from tar and physical pain.

Also, whenever I envy someone's talent, I find out that I have talents in the same field. Perhaps not as great as in the person I envy, but acceptable. For instance, I recently fell completely in love with Noel Fielding's artwork. That inspired me to start painting and I've discovered, for the first time in my life, my own style of painting; of course it needs to be refined as I'm still quite new to the whole thing. But I still envy Noel's abilities and even his life story of how he became an artist; I don't have a life story of being exceptionally good at arts, I just started out wanting to become good and that torments me, as it's just not that original of me. Sometimes it torments me so much that I just feel like giving up, but then I come to my senses, smoke a mild joint and start painting something.

#12 ·
Its motivated me to develop personal qualities I didn't have before... like I used to be really jealous of my sister, then I started to recieve some of the attention she got, and I decided I didn't like it very much, and realised things were better the way they were.

#14 ·
Envy has motivated me to look better, including doing things I'm not naturally inclined toward, such as working out. That has benefited me in many ways. Still, appearance envy is painful.

#15 ·
well I was jealous of a girl who caught the attention of the boy I love....
I was a bitch to her ..... well a two faced bitch asking myself what was so good about her
but I heard from my mother (who his boss) that he hates that girl....and was just trying to be nice...
I envyed her so much but it turned out he didn't even like her ...

#16 ·
Envy has made me abandon many of the amazing talents and dreams I had

Envy made me focus more on being like others that seemed more successful

Looking back at it, if envy hadn't have been there, I would have built on my dreams and talents instead of random things that my envy forced me to change.

Envy isn't beautiful, sure it's bittersweet, but I'd never call it beautiful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.