Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm curious as to what makes you ENTP's envy someone else?

I rarely experience this and it never overpowers me enough to drive me to make an ass out of myself (as it does for some) but it still exists within me.

There are probably 2 things that I envy:

This one is extremely rare: I envy people that seemingly have strong relationships with one another. Usually I only envy the types of bonds where it seems that the two are almost inseparable, almost in sync, and seem to enjoy every second being around each other in spite the fact that they always are.

This one is rare as well: I also envy certain people when they become the "center of attention" in my social groups. I usually have the majority of the focus but whenever someone comes in and "steals my thunder" so to speak I do become envious. I especially feel this way if I don't like them or feel that they are not deserving of the groups attention. Some people I like and see as so charismatic that even I am taken aback and for these people I tend to not care as much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am guessing that envy is what we all feel but for why we envy would be totally different.

I envy those that have freedom, the true freedom to do whatever they want to do without consequences. Rich people come close to this but not exactly because money is just a vessel.

I also envy commonality because it feels so free and minimizes conflict. I could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Envy is for insecure losers.

(I kid, of course, but only sort of. I don't partake in this "envy" of which you speak.)

·
Banned
998 Posts
Everyone envies. I simply out logic it when I become aware of it. Same with jealousy for hat matter, although can't say I get jealous very often, if ever.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Well, I envy people pretty readily, but not in a serious kind of way. If that makes sense. It's maybe not so much envy as ... "oh wow, this person has x going on...I want that! Hmmm how am I going to get that ..." and then the scheming begins. I don't really brew any negativity in this process.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think that I do envy people quite a lot and for a myriad of things, but it's never anything so huge that it means anything to me for more than (at most) twenty seconds...

Reactions: Ray Mabry

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Do you think this has any truth to it or that anyone believes it?
Oh, shush -- you're just envious of my imperviousness to envy.

...okay, putting on the srsly hat. To an extent, though, it is true. This is in part because I have a terrible superiority complex, but I also don't see much use in envy as an emotion in general, so I'd block it out if ever I felt the beginnings of it for whatever reason. If someone has something you want, work on getting it. If you can't do that, then just get over it.

When you're this awesome, however, that doesn't need to happen very often. *makes kissy faces at reflection in the mirror*

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Envy?....Well, I sometimes see someone doing something genial or great and immediately value myself, my talent and my skills against it. If I dont use logic to overrule it I will have extremely high expectations about myself, to better or equal what I saw. And unfortunately it can be tough to measure up to Van Gogh, DaVinci, Edison, Steve Jobs, MC Cormack etc. That is my version of competetiveness. I do feel that many ENTPs (myself definitely included) have a sense of our EXTREMELY great (true or false) potential, and wish to get some output, but rarely do.

So perhaps I envy those that get something done, genial or not...;-)

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I don't so much envy people, but I feel sad seeing them with something I really want. The main thing is when I see my friends together and they're so close to each other and I'm one of the ones who can't seem to get close to anyone without them leaving...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't so much envy people, but I feel sad seeing them with something I really want. The main thing is when I see my friends together and they're so close to each other and I'm one of the ones who can't seem to get close to anyone without them leaving...
Yes... It is hard to let someone in ... And then I act a bit strange so that some leave, and make rejection even worse and our defenses thicker with the scarification (feel like a teenager at these occasions). Our defenses is a problem at times. As well as our frank communication style and humor. As if we all have the same humor because of stereotypical "type"...;-)

Just keep it up, reinvent yourself if needed, and eventually you will get the friends you deserve....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh, shush -- you're just envious of my imperviousness to envy.

...okay, putting on the srsly hat. To an extent, though, it is true. This is in part because I have a terrible superiority complex, but I also don't see much use in envy as an emotion in general, so I'd block it out if ever I felt the beginnings of it for whatever reason. If someone has something you want, work on getting it. If you can't do that, then just get over it.

When you're this awesome, however, that doesn't need to happen very often. *makes kissy faces at reflection in the mirror*
Envy is an emotion, so you only have so much control over it, and it's common and irrepressible for most 18 year olds. Telling us you don't feel envy is as plausible as the idea that you don't feel anger or sadness or fear. Fear's not a useful emotion in many cases, but, unfortunately, if someone holds a gun to your head, you'll experience it. If your friend gets into Harvard and outperforms you on the SATs and is prettier and more popular, I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and say you'll get a little jealous.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Yes... It is hard to let someone in ... And then I act a bit strange so that some leave, and make rejection even worse and our defenses thicker with the scarification (feel like a teenager at these occasions). Our defenses is a problem at times. As well as our frank communication style and humor. As if we all have the same humor because of stereotypical "type"...;-)

Just keep it up, reinvent yourself if needed, and eventually you will get the friends you deserve....
Thanks, yeah I'm trying to channel my weirdness into acceptable places, like music and writing! Some people do like weirdness though so yeah XD Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Envy is an emotion, so you only have so much control over it, and it's common and irrepressible for most 18 year olds. Telling us you don't feel envy is as plausible as the idea that you don't feel anger or sadness or fear. Fear's not a useful emotion in many cases, but, unfortunately, if someone holds a gun to your head, you'll experience it. If your friend gets into Harvard and outperforms you on the SATs and is prettier and more popular, I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and say you'll get a little jealous.
But someone out there has to fill the role of that friend, no?

Say what you will, but I genuinely don't really deal with envy. Again I must point to my superiority complex, but at the same time, I also almost never feel anger, either, so I'm kind of weird. It's a mix of being largely unemotional and, in some cases, just not allowing myself to feel certain things.

·
Registered
691 Posts
But someone out there has to fill the role of that friend, no?

Say what you will, but I genuinely don't really deal with envy. Again I must point to my superiority complex, but at the same time, I also almost never feel anger, either, so I'm kind of weird. It's a mix of being largely unemotional and, in some cases, just not allowing myself to feel certain things.
Right. Because none of your friends is better than you at anything. Either you have no friends, or you're delusional.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Right. Because none of your friends is better than you at anything. Either you have no friends, or you're delusional.
Or I'm secure enough in myself that I can acknowledge when people are better than me at something without having to feel envious. I just don't see why it has to be an inevitable emotion, is all. Sure, everyone is better at something than someone else. That doesn't mean the lesser person in whatever area has to be jealous. Things tend to even out in the end once all things are considered.

And I'm also slightly delusional.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks, yeah I'm trying to channel my weirdness into acceptable places, like music and writing! Some people do like weirdness though so yeah XD Thanks for the advice!
I just LOVE weirdness and have gathered a fine bunch of strange, interesting friends... And weird girls attract me.

"Let the meek come to me"...;-)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Or I'm secure enough in myself that I can acknowledge when people are better than me at something without having to feel envious. I just don't see why it has to be an inevitable emotion, is all. Sure, everyone is better at something than someone else. That doesn't mean the lesser person in whatever area has to be jealous. Things tend to even out in the end once all things are considered.

And I'm also slightly delusional.
Listen, people get envious. In fact, its such an inescapable stretch in the spectrum of human emotion I can't believe you don't feel it, you will never convince me. Quite honestly, the likeliest explanation is that you're just not paying attention to your own thoughts. Moreover, I believe that when you gain the maturity to assess your own emotions and mental life more comprehensively and with a bit more perspective, you'll see that the claim "I never feel envy" is really as absurd a denial of reality as when my sister asked my nephew if he stole cookies from the pantry and he responded with his arms tucked behind his back "I can't mom, I don't have any hands."

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, I envy people pretty readily, but not in a serious kind of way. If that makes sense. It's maybe not so much envy as ... "oh wow, this person has x going on...I want that! Hmmm how am I going to get that ..." and then the scheming begins. I don't really brew any negativity in this process.
This

10char

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Some people definitely like weirdness. But you know, there's a difference between weirdness and creativity... and the latter can invaluable. ;) Never stop giving yourself due credit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts