Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in a very strange situation - When I take the MB type indicator I typically get one of two things

E- 68%
N - 100%
F - 53% or T- 53%
P - 89%

I feel that both types outline my behaviour fairly accurately (which makes sense since they have the same dominant function). I actually study MBTI quite a bit, but I think some outside opinion could be useful.

I'm leaning to the idea that I'm an ENFP with a very developed Te.

I am very caring and sensitive (I'm willing to listen to strangers' problems and offer different views and options to them).
I'm an activist.
I like to compliment people.
I was huge crybaby as a child and I don't have problems showing emotion or when people show emotion.
I used to take criticism poorly.
I have many of the traits keirsey considers an idealist to have - in fact I'm pretty much an idealist posterboy.
I form relationships quickly and they're often a whirlwind of passion.
I wouldn't ever even think of cheating (even if I no longer cared about the person), I have a very powerful convictions. An entp friend of mine has cheated several times, but leaves the relationship he's in afterward. I don't think I could bring myself to cheat at all, I'd just have to end the relationship and then move on. I'm unsure if this is a difference in type or just individuals.
I'm very good at reading people.
I get very passionate about things that I care about.

However,
I take criticism quite well now.
I'm critical of others when they do something unjust. I call people out on saying things like "that's retarded," or "that's so gay" or saying misogynistic things. I'm quick to argue with someone for being racist, sexist or homophobic or hateful in general. I imagine most enfps dislike confrontation much more than I do.
I'm known as the devil's advocate in many of my classes.
I often argue points that I have no attachment to, simply to give merit to their logic.
I first consider people's feelings, but I always have to make sure that there is logical justification behind it too. If there isn't, then I rethink of a solution that is acceptable to people's values, but also logically sound.
I'm very clever and witty with words, one liners and am quite good at improvising.
I'm not really a big family values kind of person. I think it's a bit silly to feel that someone being related to you makes the relationship special.

I do well in Linguistics, English, math, physics, chemistry and philosophy. I'm an A student and I'm a huge slacker (not sure if both types are like this, or just the ENTP).

Any idea which of the two I am? Are there any ways that I don't know of to help figure it out more?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
To me it sounds you are exactly as your thread subject suggests...you are ENXP or ENFP with a super developed T since you were clearly a firm ENFP when you were younger.

You are like 'day walker' amongst the Inspirer-Visionary crowd!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that one always has a preference.

I had thought that the X in the types meant that the person was unsure of which function they used lol.

So I guess I'm an ENFP with a very developed Te.

But just to be sure, what's the difference between Te and Ti, I'm not really sure. I'm pretty confidant that I use Fi (that's why I leaned towards ENFP).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Based on your description, I think you might actually be an ENTP with a very well-developed Fe.

In particular, these sound like Fe:

"I first consider people's feelings, but I always have to make sure that there is logical justification behind it too. If there isn't, then I rethink of a solution that is acceptable to people's values, but also logically sound" (a rather perfect example of Fe-Ti - note that you said "people's values," rather than "my personal moral values")

"I am very caring"

"I like to compliment people."

"I don't have problems showing emotion or when people show emotion."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on your description, I think you might actually be an ENTP with a very well-developed Fe.

In particular, these sound like Fe:

"I first consider people's feelings, but I always have to make sure that there is logical justification behind it too. If there isn't, then I rethink of a solution that is acceptable to people's values, but also logically sound" (a rather perfect example of Fe-Ti - note that you said "people's values," rather than "my personal moral values")

"I am very caring"

"I like to compliment people."

"I don't have problems showing emotion or when people show emotion."
Oh wow that's confusing me more now haha.

I forgot to add: I cuddle strangers, I have no problem sitting on the laps of people I haven't so much as said hi to before and physical intimacy is something I really enjoy. I really just enjoy snuggling up to people - that's pretty Fi I think. I also dislike small talk. Many of my friends say that I shocked them in a pleasant way, they're not used to someone just sitting on their laps when they don't know them. I defy social norms often and I have a pretty flirtatious sense of humour.

I had thought that these were Fi traits, are they actually Fe?

Also, I thought ENFPs were known for being gushy and they're known for giving a ton of compliments and some people find them insincere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh wow that's confusing me more now haha.

I forgot to add: I cuddle strangers, I have no problem sitting on the laps of people I haven't so much as said hi to before and physical intimacy is something I really enjoy. I really just enjoy snuggling up to people - that's pretty Fi I think. I also dislike small talk. Many of my friends say that I shocked them in a pleasant way, they're not used to someone just sitting on their laps when they don't know them. I defy social norms often and I have a pretty flirtatious sense of humour.

I had thought that these were Fi traits, are they actually Fe?

Also, I thought ENFPs were known for being gushy and they're known for giving a ton of compliments and some people find them insincere.
Snuggling isn't really type-related (though I suppose F types, extroverted ones especially, would like it more - I love to snuggle with girls I'm attracted to and the like, myself) - the only thing up there that could be construed to type is defying social norms, which is indeed more Fi if it's focusing on your personal values against the values that others promote. However, it's really only Fi if that's the motivation - Ti defies the logic that others promote to focus on one's personal internal logical system. Based on "I rethink of a solution that is acceptable to people's values", I would argue that you seem more Fe thus far.

As for the compliments thing, ENFPs can perhaps get overexcited and overly complimentary if they truly feel something deserves a compliment. "Fake" (not really the right word, too derogatory, but I can't think of anything better) compliments for social reasons, to get along, or to find something to talk about are more Fe, though.

Basically, Fi considers personal values and feelings when making decisions, whereas Fe considers the values and feelings of others when making decisions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. But it's not just people I'm attracted to, it's pretty much ANYONE.

I'm also often trying to move others to see new ideas, particularly the benefits of social justice.

That could be an ENTP too though...

hm,

I think the best support for being an ENFP would be my sensitivity as a child and having trouble with criticism, most entps don't have trouble with criticism right? I was a huge crybaby, honestly it was terrible haha.

Some people find me argumentative (usually F types) and T types often find me sentimental.

So I am confused haha, if anything it's possible that I have Ti and Fi as equals in auxiliary and tertiary and no extraverted tertiary (like how they thought functions worked in the old days.)

So I'd be
Ne dominant
ti/fi auxiliary AND tertiary pretty equally developed in both
then Si inferior.

I remember original theories suggested that auxiliary, tertiary and inferior were all opposite in terms of extraversion/introversion to your dominant function. So it could be that I simply have a very very developed tertiary and all non-dominants are introverted? (an ENTP and an ENFP with highly developed tertiary with all non-dominants being introverted would be pretty similar, if not identical)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting. But it's not just people I'm attracted to, it's pretty much ANYONE.

I'm also often trying to move others to see new ideas, particularly the benefits of social justice.

That could be an ENTP too though...

hm,

I think the best support for being an ENFP would be my sensitivity as a child and having trouble with criticism, most entps don't have trouble with criticism right? I was a huge crybaby, honestly it was terrible haha.

Some people find me argumentative (usually F types) and T types often find me sentimental.

So I am confused haha, if anything it's possible that I have Ti and Fi as equals in auxiliary and tertiary and no extraverted tertiary (like how they thought functions worked in the old days.)

So I'd be
Ne dominant
ti/fi auxiliary AND tertiary pretty equally developed in both
then Si inferior.

I remember original theories suggested that auxiliary, tertiary and inferior were all opposite in terms of extraversion/introversion to your dominant function. So it could be that I simply have a very very developed tertiary and all non-dominants are introverted? (an ENTP and an ENFP with highly developed tertiary with all non-dominants being introverted would be pretty similar, if not identical)
Sensitivity as a child would be slightly more Fi in general, yes, but do note that the functions are usually not fully-developed in children. As a general rule, the dominant function tends to become fully-developed by age 6, and the auxiliary function by age 13. If you're an ENTP, you likely just didn't have a developed Ti as a child (which makes sense - few ENTPs do until their early teenage years).

Additionally, I just found the first considering peoples' feelings and values that you mentioned to be the very definition of Fe, and the additional logical thing that you need seems to be fitting situations into your Ti logical framework. Also, another thing that I forgot to bring up before: you mentioned being very good at reading people. That's typically more of an Fe skill (though note, Fe is not determined by having an Fe skillset - it is determined by having a preference for Fe).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sensitivity as a child would be slightly more Fi in general, yes, but do note that the functions are usually not fully-developed in children. As a general rule, the dominant function tends to become fully-developed by age 6, and the auxiliary function by age 13. If you're an ENTP, you likely just didn't have a developed Ti as a child (which makes sense - few ENTPs do until their early teenage years).

Additionally, I just found the first considering peoples' feelings and values that you mentioned to be the very definition of Fe, and the additional logical thing that you need seems to be fitting situations into your Ti logical framework. Also, another thing that I forgot to bring up before: you mentioned being very good at reading people. That's typically more of an Fe skill (though note, Fe is not determined by having an Fe skillset - it is determined by having a preference for Fe).
That's interesting. I had thought that ENFPs were the ones that were really good at reading people. I've had people tell me they feel like they're under a microscope when I point things out about them.

Although I think all Ne dominant types are good at reading people.

I just had a friend read descriptions for both types and he said:

ENFP sounds a little more like you, but I see some ENTP things in there too. Especially the debating and clever stuff.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Go get some real life examples of the thought processes behind the functions.

How you THINK is more importaint than how you act. You actions can change buy the functions you use wont.

I came out in testing as INFJ, but function wise I am an ENFP. After hanging out with the INFJs for a while and working out my Eannagram, I realised something wasn't quite right. Hangoing out over here forms of expression and difficulties are more similar to my own, even if my actions vary...I'm not flaky for instance, or scared of comitment in relationships...but that's because I have worked at it.

So find out your functions, and hang out with both groups, and just see which feels the most like "home."

Cue awsome link!

Watch these short films on the functions (there are more by the same guy on the You of the Tube), it should be a good starting piont in working out how you think...and converting that to MBTI terms.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I'm definitely extraverted intuition, I know that for sure - it's everything else I'm unsure of.

Though... I often do many introverted intuition things like imagine super powers, no gravity, etc.

I used to play pretend as a child, probably even into my teenage years until it became inappropriate for my age. I still "play pretend" with my little cousins.

but I'd say my general preference for intuition is extraverted. I'm very good with improvising and multitasking and seeing relations between things. Although I'm skilled at drawing conclusions, I enjoy seeing patterns and relations between things more than I like drawing conclusions about them.

I definitely have the "lateral thinking" that the video mentioned, I'm very Ne. From what I know of socionics Ni isn't difficult for ENFPs and ENTPs, it's just not their preference.

I sometimes have Eureka moments, but that's understandable I have a 100% preference for intuition. In general though, my intuition is extraverted for sure.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That's interesting. I had thought that ENFPs were the ones that were really good at reading people. I've had people tell me they feel like they're under a microscope when I point things out about them.

Although I think all Ne dominant types are good at reading people.

I just had a friend read descriptions for both types and he said:

ENFP sounds a little more like you, but I see some ENTP things in there too. Especially the debating and clever stuff.
Mental skills are actually not type related. Type is more related to how you view the world -- people with Fi consider feelings and beliefs from a subjective and personal perspective (internally-based ethics), whereas people with Fe consider the feelings and beliefs of others first (externally-based ethics). Given that you seem to consider the feelings of others first and foremost, I'd say you're either ENTP, or even quite possibly ESFJ (ESFJs and ESTJs can be surprisingly intuitive; we have Ne as a tertiary function. Most people think I'm N).

That said, the ability to read people is more commonly linked to Fe than Fi, because Fe users tend to pay more attention to the feelings of others than their own.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh I'm definitely extraverted intuition, I know that for sure - it's everything else I'm unsure of.

Though... I often do many introverted intuition things like imagine super powers, no gravity, etc.

I used to play pretend as a child, probably even into my teenage years until it became inappropriate for my age. I still "play pretend" with my little cousins.

but I'd say my general preference for intuition is extraverted. I'm very good with improvising and multitasking and seeing relations between things. Although I'm skilled at drawing conclusions, I enjoy seeing patterns and relations between things more than I like drawing conclusions about them.

I definitely have the "lateral thinking" that the video mentioned, I'm very Ne. From what I know of socionics Ni isn't difficult for ENFPs and ENTPs, it's just not their preference.

I sometimes have Eureka moments, but that's understandable I have a 100% preference for intuition. In general though, my intuition is extraverted for sure.
I think you are getting confused as you don't have real world examples of Ni/Ne ect. This was a problem I had too, and I'm sure it is really common.

I still play pretend, and I have a great imagination, I used to play pretend excesivly as a kid...but my preference is Ne. Ni is not imagination itself, it is simply a different form of it.

With Ne, your inspiration is from the outside, so as a kid I'd see tree roots in a certain shape, and I'd think of steps...I'd think of where steps are, castles, so I'd play a game where they are the steps in a castle...that's creative, but it's Ne, not Ni. (as far as I am awaire)

Ni is trickier to explain...I don't really use it, so it's tough. Your inspiration is internal...you look within for connections and meaning, without forming conections with the extrenal. No idea how you do that.

So Ni isn't just imagining stuff in your head and connecting ideas, it's more intangible than Ne...and while you will still have it if you use Ne, you wont be able to use it as concously. It just happens sometimes, and you wordlessly know something, deeply and explicitly. That's what meant by a eurika moment in the vid.

I expirence something a bit like this, but it is Fi working. This is what confused me a lot, as INFJs are suposed to get feelings about people, and that's my strong piont. I know people, and I often give good advice as I can empathise and put myself in their possition. I get images I relate to people in my head, a gut feeling and knowledge about them...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mental skills are actually not type related. Type is more related to how you view the world -- people with Fi consider feelings and beliefs from a subjective and personal perspective (internally-based ethics), whereas people with Fe consider the feelings and beliefs of others first (externally-based ethics). Given that you seem to consider the feelings of others first and foremost, I'd say you're either ENTP, or even quite possibly ESFJ (ESFJs and ESTJs can be surprisingly intuitive; we have Ne as a tertiary function. Most people think I'm N).

That said, the ability to read people is more commonly linked to Fe than Fi, because Fe users tend to pay more attention to the feelings of others than their own.

Umm I wouldn't say I consider people's feelings over my own though - I'd say I am considerate. I often argue with others to show them how a socially just world is so much better. I often say "everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean they have one that makes sense." I really also don't care about social norms and propriety. I do what I want, but I'm not going to be an asshole about it.

I had thought that ENFPs were supposed to be the type that is most intuitive of a person's motivations, my friend says this is why he decided I'm an enfp because of this part. He says no one escapes my notice (which is how keirsey describes enfps too).

I'm also definitely not an SJ type, I'm sure that Ne is my dominant function. I also am not practical in the slightest. I am useless with keeping my books in order, keeping things organized, remembering dates, etc.

@ filigee
then I'm clearly an Ne.

PS. I'm enneagram 7w6, not sure if that helps at all. I'm a self-preservation or sexual 7, it goes back and forth - I'd probably say that

·
Registered
644 Posts
Umm I wouldn't say I consider people's feelings over my own though - I'd say I am considerate. I often argue with others to show them how a socially just world is so much better. I often say "everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean they have one that makes sense." I really also don't care about social norms and propriety. I do what I want, but I'm not going to be an asshole about it.

I'm also definitely not an SJ type, I'm sure that Ne is my dominant function. I also am not practical in the slightest. I am useless with keeping my books in order, keeping things organized, remembering dates, etc.
J and P and complicted for a lot of people, and can be deciving, but Fe/Fi first.

With Fi I understand how I think and feel on a deep level, which can make me very self involved if I am not carful...but the great thing about Fi is I can use my inner working to discover how others work. I can empathise on a deep level, and guess pretty acuratly what people are thinking...or their motivations ect.

I see social norms as a shallow and dull expressions at times...and I sometimes break them, but only if I am still honouring the motivation behind the rule. eg...wanting to show love, I might show it differently to the social norm, but I will honour the expression in a way I feel is closest to expressing in for me. It feels more authentic this way, and it gets the desirved result.

Fe, is seeing the external reactions and values/norms...always remembering birthdays, following traditions, but you might think "I don't know what really want from me," it's not you don't feel for others, but you struggle to see how they think or feel inside...at least that's how I understand it. You really want to be kind towards things though.

Fi can seem more self centred, it's more about how you see things and see others, not doing the traditionally right thing to please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J and P and complicted for a lot of people, and can be deciving, but Fe/Fi first.

With Fi I understand how I think and feel on a deep level, which can make me very self involved if I am not carful...but the great thing about Fi is I can use my inner working to discover how others work. I can empathise on a deep level, and guess pretty acuratly what people are thinking...or their motivations ect.

I see social norms as a shallow and dull expressions at times...and I sometimes break them, but only if I am still honouring the motivation behind the rule. eg...wanting to show love, I might show it differently to the social norm, but I will honour the expression in a way I feel is closest to expressing in for me. It feels more authentic this way, and it gets the desirved result.

Fe, is seeing the external reactions and values/norms...always remembering birthdays, following traditions, but you might think "I don't know why really want from me," it's not you don't feel for others, but you struggle to see how they think or feel inside...at least that's how I understand it. You really want to be kind towards things though.

I'd say that I'm in the same boat as you. I also can be self involved at times, but I try to keep it in check. I can empathize on a deep level and am pretty good at understanding their motivations. I also see social norms as dull and pointless.

I really can't see someone with a strong Fe convincing people that he was a male sex trade worker just for the fun of it. my ENFJ friend get embarrassed by how I'm just so open and nonchalant about social norms. He says it's like I'm the only one who missed the memo that some things you just don't do or say in public.

ps. I always forget things like birthdays.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd say that I'm in the same boat as you. I also can be self involved at times, but I try to keep it in check. I can empathize on a deep level and am pretty good at understanding their motivations. I also see social norms as dull and pointless.

I really can't see someone with a strong Fe convincing people that he was a male sex trade worker just for the fun of it. my ENFJ friend get embarrassed by how I'm just so open and nonchalant about social norms. He says it's like I'm the only one who missed the memo that some things you just don't do or say in public.
Ok, so you use Ne, Fi...

Now..lets go for Ti/Te..

Now Ti is a bit like Fi and Ni...weird stuff happens in your head which is hard to vocalise or explain in logical terms. It sees the subtal distinctions between concepts and things. It organises you internally, and means you don't need lists or timetables as much as others, you can just BE organised. (Wizards!)

I use Te, so I look outword to organise things/myself. I have to think about being organised. I create systems to organise myself and get stuff done. I have calendars, timetables (coloure coded), endless lists and the like...which means I look organised, but it is dispite myself, not because it comes easy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so you use Ne, Fi...

Now..lets go for Ti/Te..

Now Ti is a bit like Fi and Ni...weird stuff happens in your head which is hard to vocalise or explain in logical terms. It sees the subtal distinctions between concepts and things. It organises you internally, and means you don't need lists or timetables as much as others, you can just BE organised. (Wizards!)

I use Te, so I look outword to organise things/myself. I have to think about being organised. I create systems to organise myself and get stuff done. I have calendars, timetables (coloure coded), endless lists and the like...which means I look organised, but it is dispite myself, not because it comes easy.
I often use syllogistic logic, but I learned that in a philosophy course. That sounds Te.

I write things down into an agenda, but I never look at my agenda really, it's like writing it down is enough for me. I don't look organized in the slightest haha, I love the chaos and I thrive in it.

So is this Te or Ti?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I often use syllogistic logic, but I learned that in a philosophy course. That sounds Te.

I write things down into an agenda, but I never look at my agenda really, it's like writing it down is enough for me. I don't look organized in the slightest haha, I love the chaos and I thrive in it.

So is this Te or Ti?
Difficult to say, do you have some more examples?

My INFJ friend is a Ti user and she organises all her books by auther, knows the time, can keep to inner scheduals with ease...

I need to create an outter representation of my schedual. I need to look back at it, and think. I am going to do this, then this...in that order, I am going to spend this much time doing those tasks.

Yet mt dasterdly INFJ can just...do stuff. No thought, it is automatic. She just sees how to do stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts