Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that some people, inlcuding myself can be very adventurous, yet also be an absolute stickler for organization. It's as if their J and P sides are highly developed yet no one side takes dominance over the individual's mental processes and decisions. Almost as if they work together or take turns in directing their decisions. In addition, I've seen this same phenomenon happen with ESTPs. They can be quite spontaneous yet plan things out as well and even be highly into their religion. Or they can be plan things out yet they have a beer in their car and chain smoke.

Is this an actuality or is it BS? Am I coming into contact with very adventurous ESTJs, am I myself an ENTP and not an ENTJ? And if so, how come I don't see MBTI types like ENTP/J or ESTP/J? Help me please, members of PerC, this problem has been perplexing me for a long time now. :confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Adventurousness is not indicative of P or J.

I general P (right brain) functions (Se, Ne, Ti, Fi) are adaptive, whist J (left brain) functions are directive (Te, Fe, Ni, Si). Everyone has 2 adaptive and 2 directive functions, but one side will always have dominance over the other in one's psyche.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All four of the dichotomies are about choosing what you can't live without. Everybody veers into perceiving at times and judging at other times. It's about discerning which is your preference, what is built into your core.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... so people can be highly developed right brain and left brain functions. But what determines one's personality type is which functions take dominance or takes preference over the other eh? Most interesting this is...

Thank you Liesl and Xplosive for your posts, this has really helped me better understand how the MBTI system works :laughing:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Or put a simpler way, in my opinion if you are very extraverted then you can be alternating between your Te and your backup Se at the tertiary level. Nothing odd about it and many of us with strong affinities toward one attitude will do it. I have said more than once that, if someone preferring extraversion is as strong as my introverting attitude, they will have a better use of their Se than I do even though it is my auxiliary function. Jung only says that the auxiliary is present, he never says that the tertiary cannot be equal to it, just not greater than it. The only function that he claims will be valid in it's own right is the dominant function. So yes, Te-Se alternating is very possible. It simply means you have a low preference for introverting, thus your Ni is weak and my Se is weak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts