Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think this concept of 'escaping from reality' when your stressed is terrible. You may think that watching movies or sitting and 'relaxing' relieves stress but in reality after you have wasted time you end up in the same exact position with the exact same attitude. Im 100% not saying that acting or playing music or dancing is wasting time, those activities (and such like) are productive. But when people are stressed they tend to need a break by watching movies or browsing pointless things on the internet, this is a waste of time. Especially if your going through a challenging time, the best thing to do is focus on the issues at hand and deal with them rather than 'escape' only to come back 4 hours later in the same position. When you escape from reality, you're escaping from your life, and life wasnt given to you so you can run away form it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
*raises an eyebrow* You have anyone in mind while you're pouring this ultimatum out, or should I take that as a general nod to all INFP's? If it is to us INFP's in general, how about I let you finish the project I have due by Monday while I go escape from reality for a few hours. Thanks! You're a peach *zooms off to la-la land*

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sometimes the only way to solve problems is to get away from them for a little while. Clears your head up and you can be more focused on the actual issue later, if not giving yourself some sort of calmness to think things through.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
However much I may agree with you, jabbing the finger will only compound the issue and make it worse. People 'escape' in order to stem the feeling of that impossible, unreasonable pressure (or possibly to immerse themselves in a world more inspirational than their current surroundings, as in my case). The decision not to do this must come from within.

Besides, some of the most unintentional brilliance can stem from the most seemingly pointless sources.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
When you escape from reality, you're escaping from your life, and life wasnt given to you so you can run away form it.
But I've never been in the real reality! D: lol

Anyways, I agree with the others. Taking a break can be a good thing, even spark off very creative ideas for solving the problem you were taking a break from.

Taking a semi-permanent break however; yeah, I can see how that can be harmful :D

Reactions: Laeona

·
Registered
738 Posts
Besides, some of the most unintentional brilliance can stem from the most seemingly pointless sources.
But I've never been in the real reality! D: lol

Anyways, I agree with the others. Taking a break can be a good thing, even spark off very creative ideas for solving the problem you were taking a break from.
I love those brilliant epiphanies during random excursions.

·
Banned
492 Posts
We cant escape from reality, 99.999% of us have not found it yet. You can escape your personal construct of reality though, but that's just ddduuuumb.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i think this concept of 'escaping from reality' when your stressed is terrible. You may think that watching movies or sitting and 'relaxing' relieves stress but in reality after you have wasted time you end up in the same exact position with the exact same attitude. Im 100% not saying that acting or playing music or dancing is wasting time, those activities (and such like) are productive. But when people are stressed they tend to need a break by watching movies or browsing pointless things on the internet, this is a waste of time. Especially if your going through a challenging time, the best thing to do is focus on the issues at hand and deal with them rather than 'escape' only to come back 4 hours later in the same position. When you escape from reality, you're escaping from your life, and life wasnt given to you so you can run away form it.
You are right. However, as you can see from the responses, it is a sensitive subject for INFPs. I've been reading about INFP weaknesses and our response to a stressful situation is escapism and procrastination. I think that while we can all agree escaping reality makes us feel better. We also have to admit to ourselves that it's a very delicate balance between enough to feel better, and too much before it's working against us.

I know that when I have a responsibility to face such as a deadline I have to meet, that feeling of stress and pressure is re-leaved when I escape reality and do something other than what I should be. However, there's always that pinpoint of guilt in the back of my mind telling me that I should deal with what I need to do, and if I don't the self criticism begins and it can turn into depression.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's not just an INFP thing though. Generally people are pleasure seeking and pain avoidant. I think INFPs are probably more likely than other types to acknowledge mental and spiritual pain. Both in themselves and others. It's a good thing, as nothing gets done without first acknowledging the problem and then taking action as the OP states.

·
Registered
831 Posts
its not the escaping from reality thats wrong, those temporary distractions can actually help clear the mind and ready one for re-facing the problem.

in my opinion what it comes down to is --
are you WILLING to help yourself and win this Or NO?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts