Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I work as a housing support worker - I support people who are struggling to pay their bills or help them get accommodation, set up their accommodation etc. People who are at risk of losing their tenancies basically. Can be hectic but generally fulfilling. What do you do?
Oh wow! Some members of my extended family are in jobs within that field (social work etc). Ugh also with all the austerity measures put in place by a certain political party down south (not voted for by Scotland) I'm willing to bet there is a very, unfortunate, high demand for this sort of help (I honestly don't want to start a political discussion though)!

I work as an Electrical Engineer. The company I work for have a contract for Scottish Water at the moment for a large number of their plants. Really enjoy it!

·
Registered
417 Posts
"This is Us" is on Hulu here in the States, not sure about Netflix. Also, have you seen "The Americans"... that was a really good one too. Even my INTP husband really liked it, which is shocking.... haha! Hard to find shows that we both can get into. Currently watching Game of Thrones together, because well I guess that's what everyone's doing out here in the States. LOL I have to close my eyes for half of it though because of the violence but I can get into the character building and relationships.
Hulu - I've never heard of that. I'll need to check that out too. I've heard of "The Americans" but never looked into it. Game of Thrones is a show me an ISTJ partner keep meaning to get into (for the same reason as you) but it's yet to happen. At times we feel like we are the only people who have never watched it.

On this topic, one thing that has become consistent is every time I switch my TV on now, it'll recommend a YouTube video on something relating to personality types. Recent suggestion:

:tongue:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Late to the party, but there are people in my town that leave their lights up all year, and then just turn them on during the holiday season. I don't do decorations myself, but if other people want to, that's fine with me.

The exception is that a couple of years ago, a former supervisor suggested that I alter the employee directory on the wall. Instead of his real name, I substituted "E. Scrooge" for the entire month of December - again, this was at his request.

... and they say that xSTJ's have no sense of humor. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I friggin love ISTJs, and get on fine too with ESTJs too. My partner (I really should just say Husband lol) is an ISTJ and of course the best friend I mentioned above. I love their ability to approach a situation logically and their amazing ability to take on confrontation, especially when it for a good cause.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You know it's been interesting with the ISTJ & ESTJs in my life. I get along with them quite well until we don't. My MIL is an ISTJ and her husband is an ESTJ. We were all really cool and fine basically until we had kids. Now the ESTJ father in law is just super rigid in his old school parenting ways and I think coupled with his black and white / clear "right and wrong" look on things it makes it quite a challenge. Like when it was just he rules his life and I rule my realm it was fine but now that he's trying to dabble his "right/wrong" view of life into my realm it's causing quite a bit of friction. Also since my husband is an INTP, there's just a big disconnect between his parents and him sometimes and then I try to fill that awkward gap of making everyone get along but then there's just too much there to really bridge. Gah!

Another ESTJ who I know well is also difficult for me since he's dating my friend who is a super sweet girl. He's so focused on his end goal of work that he never pauses to do anything romantic for her. He doesn't like to "indulge" in her feelings and would rather just kind of steam role past all of it and she'll be there trying to talk to him about her emotions / an argument they had and he'll feel like it should already be over and let's move on. Like it's taking up his precious time away from his long to do list of other things. Again, I get where it comes from personality wise plus of course everyone's own individual histories but it's just hard for me to watch. Like yes, as an ESFJ I can get into my to-do list moments and sometimes see things as right/wrong etc. but I feel like in the end I can still always pull the breaks when I see what it's doing to the group. Sometimes I feel like the ESTJs I know personally in my life don't really have that emergency break. They kind of just keep plowing forward regardless of fatalities. The weird part is I can get along great with them and do admire some of their organizational abilities and all else but then when I feel like it hurts other people without them even noticing is when I kind of feel like the line is drawn for me. I just can't go there with them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My MIL is an ISTJ and her husband is an ESTJ. We were all really cool and fine basically until we had kids. Now the ESTJ father in law is just super rigid in his old school parenting ways and I think coupled with his black and white / clear "right and wrong" look on things it makes it quite a challenge. Like when it was just he rules his life and I rule my realm it was fine but now that he's trying to dabble his "right/wrong" view of life into my realm it's causing quite a bit of friction. Also since my husband is an INTP, there's just a big disconnect between his parents and him sometimes and then I try to fill that awkward gap of making everyone get along but then there's just too much there to really bridge. Gah!
This sounds like a slightly similar situation to what one of my friends is going through. Her in-laws (no idea what personality type they are) are both a little old-fashioned. She and her husband are both engineers. They have always been a bit weird with her because she is a woman who is in a professional career the same as her husband (their son). They seem to think she should really be at home ensuring her husband has a hot meal on the table every night lol and looking after the kids. Some off-cuff comments have been made before which has caused a bit of friction between her and them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
@SummerRoads. Here is a question/discussion topic for you. I remember way back when I first joined PerC I started that thread about ESFJs as Engineers and I also remember you telling me you were also in an engineering environment.

One of the people who responded stated I (we) were likely surrounded by a lot of NT, or at least xT, types.

Last summer I started a conversation about Myers & Briggs in the office with one of the guys I worked with, who turned out to be an INTP. This lead a few others joining in on the conversation. Quite a few of them in our small office ended up doing the test. I now know we have:
2 x ENTPs
1 x INTP
1 x ESTJ (my line manager)
1 x INFJ
1 x INFP

So while that conclusion may not have been bang on correct, one thing that is at least true is there are no other SFs (or at leats, none I'm aware of).

It only occurred to me last week that I actually have no real experience of working with other xSFJs. Similarly, I don't really have any close friends who are xSFJs either.

Do you work with any other xSFJs or have any as close friends?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know you two worked in engineering! I don't, but I do work in the STEM field as well--a food testing laboratory. There are about 30 people working where I work, but I don't think anyone else is an ESFJ. There are other SJs, and a couple SFs for sure, and other FJs, but I might be the only ESFJ there. I have a close friend who is an ISFJ 2w1, majored in linguistics and works at her mom's dentist office sometimes, volunteers a lot, but hasn't looked for a full time position anywhere yet. She's a lovely person. I'm sure her future coworkers will love her.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Oh that is interesting! Well you know of all the types you listed their cognitive stacking actually has Ne or Ni as the first or second place so still very dominant. So maybe not all NT types but definitely heavy on the Ne/Ni.

Just out of curiosity, what personality types did you grow up with in your family? My brother is an ENTP, sister ENTJ, dad maybe ESTJ, mom not sure (all over the place but I think an E*FP of some sort). Anyway, I have to wonder if ESFJ kids growing up in a family that is more Thinker dominated end up feeling comfortable in those roles or surrounded by those people as well. I mean, I somehow married an INTP and ended up in a male dominated field that I guess I'm not supposed to be in... that said, my dad did kind of push me in college to continue down this path even though I wanted to switch to a different field. Was unsure of myself with the switch and my dad just kept driving it forward and so I just kept going I guess. That said though, I think we all have "many lives" we could live and careers we could be good at. I don't think being an ESFJ has to exclude us from these types of fields though as long as we get our social fix somehow. Haha!

I will say though, my best friend is an ISFJ or ESFJ (can't quite pin it down). She and I just really connect on so many levels. My other friends are all over the board though and while I really get along with an ENFP, she can be kind of flaky so I just kind of give her space to be herself and respond in her own time. But if I'm totally honest, my ISFJ/ESFJ best friend is just amazing. I wish I had more *SFJ types in my life. I do LOVE taking my child to elementary school and just chatting up the teachers there. I'm sure a number of them are *SFJ types and I just feel really warm and welcome there. Catch up about each other's lives and kids and all else. It's nice. I guess I get my fill there. I have an ENFJ and INFJ friend, which can be very warm too but there are times it's obvious we operate under a different code. LOL

I actually think it's kind of good to work with people who aren't all our type. I think you're able to stand out a bit then for special skills you bring to the table that others don't have (that I also think we don't value in ourselves sometimes or think of as a "skill"..more like just human decency. LOL). And you also get to grow as a person by learning from others who don't see the world as you do. I know my MIL and FIL who are ISTJ and ESTJ get along really great because they see the world so similarly but that said, they also don't really push each other out of their comfort zones much so it's kind of just a continuous loop of the same daily activities and same old stories told over and over again, which I get works for them and that's fine.

I think it's hard for us ESJFs sometimes because we want to fit in with the group and feel like we're doing what we're supposed to doing. So when you read all these lists and you're like Wait a minute... I guess I'm supposed to be a teacher or something not doing engineering... it's confusing and like you start questioning yourself a bit. In the end though, I say embrace being the unicorn there. You have so many skills you can bring to the table that they otherwise wouldn't have. I know I brought a real sense of cohesion to our office and took time to care about people that worked there and it made a huge difference outside of the actual work I was doing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
@SummerRoads, excuse the ridiculous time in replying to your last response. Last 2 weeks have been mental.

Oh that is interesting! Well you know of all the types you listed their cognitive stacking actually has Ne or Ni as the first or second place so still very dominant. So maybe not all NT types but definitely heavy on the Ne/Ni.
I really need to start learning more about the individual functions - I didn't realise N types were generally more dominant. I mean on reflection, it makes sense now, but genuinely hadn't thought about it before.

Just out of curiosity, what personality types did you grow up with in your family?
Hmmm. My mum, I'm not entirely sure. Possibly ENFJ? MY dad I'm certain is ISTP - the cartoon character used to represent ISTP on 16 personalities could literally be my dad too haha. MY younger brother... possibly ESTP. I should send him a link to the test as he would probably find it interesting.

I will say though, my best friend is an ISFJ or ESFJ (can't quite pin it down)
One of my close friends (who I've been friend's with since high school) is an ISFJ. I'm actually God parent to her two kids. She is quite possibly one of the strongest people I've ver met. She is sadly going through a horrendous divorce just now (her husband is a horrible man and sooner both her...and the kids!... have him out their lives the better!). She has coped amazingly through it all.

I actually think it's kind of good to work with people who aren't all our type. I think you're able to stand out a bit then for special skills you bring to the table that others don't have (that I also think we don't value in ourselves sometimes or think of as a "skill"..more like just human decency. LOL). And you also get to grow as a person by learning from others who don't see the world as you do.
Haha. You know ever since I finished uni and started work, I've always felt like I was a bit of an odd ball in the work environment - not in a bad way, just knew I probably came across a bit weird/different at times. One of the good things about finding out my personality type, and reading into it more, has been the ability to understand why this is.

I know my MIL and FIL who are ISTJ and ESTJ get along really great because they see the world so similarly but that said, they also don't really push each other out of their comfort zones much so it's kind of just a continuous loop of the same daily activities and same old stories told over and over again, which I get works for them and that's fine.
This is something I fear happening to me and my ISTJ partner at the moment. We're becoming very bad for "work, eat, sleep...repeat" at the moment. We were actually out for lunch today thankfully and making a list of things we need to make an effort to do and people to catch up with this year.

I think it's hard for us ESJFs sometimes because we want to fit in with the group and feel like we're doing what we're supposed to doing. So when you read all these lists and you're like Wait a minute... I guess I'm supposed to be a teacher or something not doing engineering... it's confusing and like you start questioning yourself a bit. In the end though, I say embrace being the unicorn there. You have so many skills you can bring to the table that they otherwise wouldn't have. I know I brought a real sense of cohesion to our office and took time to care about people that worked there and it made a huge difference outside of the actual work I was doing.
That all brought a genuine smile to my face :)
I think I have probably brought a bit of that too to my current place. The office I'm in just now is a small one (approx 20 max of us at any one time), so it's become quite a cosy place to be if you get me.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
*pokes*

How's everyone doing? Any new updates on life in general? :eek:

I just wanted to stay I'm still here, lmao. I usually log on every day to check notifications and such but have been too busy to do much forum browsing recently.

·
Registered
417 Posts
*pokes*

How's everyone doing? Any new updates on life in general? :eek:

I just wanted to stay I'm still here, lmao. I usually log on every day to check notifications and such but have been too busy to do much forum browsing recently.
Hey @Suntide

Was on the Isle of Bute last weekend for a few days. One of the things on my bucket list is to visit all of the Scottish islands. Bute was an easy one to organise so thought we'd do it this year. Bit of a sleepy island, but it does have some stunning views of the surrounding landscapes! Added bonus also as my Dad works as a chief engineer for the company that runs the ferry service to the Scottish islands and just so happened to working on the particular ferry we were sailing on, so I got a tour of the bridge and engine room.

How are things with you?

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
@SummerRoads . Here is a question/discussion topic for you. I remember way back when I first joined PerC I started that thread about ESFJs as Engineers and I also remember you telling me you were also in an engineering environment.

One of the people who responded stated I (we) were likely surrounded by a lot of NT, or at least xT, types.

Last summer I started a conversation about Myers & Briggs in the office with one of the guys I worked with, who turned out to be an INTP. This lead a few others joining in on the conversation. Quite a few of them in our small office ended up doing the test. I now know we have:
2 x ENTPs
1 x INTP
1 x ESTJ (my line manager)
1 x INFJ
1 x INFP

So while that conclusion may not have been bang on correct, one thing that is at least true is there are no other SFs (or at leats, none I'm aware of).

It only occurred to me last week that I actually have no real experience of working with other xSFJs. Similarly, I don't really have any close friends who are xSFJs either.

Do you work with any other xSFJs or have any as close friends?
That someone who responded must have the power of a psychic:brocoli:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh wow, Orion! That sounds so beautiful out there! So great you made the time to take that trip.
Hey @SummerRoads. Yeah It was gorgeous...once the rain stopped. We were a bit unfortunate on the first day, but it cleared thankfully. Hoping to go do Isle of Barra next year (that's the famous one where the aeroplanes land on the beach...although we'll probably be doing car and ferry for that too). Hoping to get a trip to France in too later this year too.

Was just reading your "What do you consider your "needs" are in a friendship" thread as you responded. I'm currently mulling it over while I catch up :)

21 - 40 of 120 Posts